HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Tallon setting up for another huge free agency?

Old
11-04-2011, 11:12 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
Getting Parise would really send a signal to the rest of the NHL. With him and Huberdeau, we'd finally have a 1st line that could match up against the playoff contenders.
Absolutely! He is in his prime, American born, and would be a great player to market around. He would be a great mentor to prospects like Howden and Huberdeau, and would be exactly what this team would need to have a near elite offense. With the amount of players we have signed already at forward, I would hope Tallon tries to go after one impact forward, rather than depth. We arent an organization that spends that much on a player, but unlike the Bure years, a Parise signing would vault us into the NHL's elite, assuming our main prospects perform the way we hope they do. With Bure, we had the stud, but never had the complimentary players. We now have the complimentary players, we just need Parise. Ill ALL for Tallon offering him $7-7.5 million per.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Big fan of Parise, won't hold my breath. Don't want any part of Semin.

11-04-2011, 11:35 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Big fan of Parise, won't hold my breath. Don't want any part of Semin.
Me neither, but given that we have cap space, and most spots filled, it might not be as far fetched as we might think.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:35 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I'd be ecstatic if we landed Parise somehow. It seems almost unreal since we've never landed a huge free agent before and hell, until last off-season, we didn't have a history of signing even many good players. I think depending on how we finish in the standings will really determine how likely he signs in Florida.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:58 PM
SQUIRM

Parise and maybe Hemsky are the only ones I would even attempt to sign. If you don't sign them, you might as well just stay the course and leave more room on the roster for the young guys coming in.

SQUIRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:11 PM
PanthersRule96

For all the talk about Parise and Huberdeau together....you do realize that it will take Huber some time before becoming a dominant player. It'll probably be after a year or two in the NHL before he really approaches his potential. Look at Stamkos and Giroux, two guys that are good comparisons.

I'm super excited about the possibility of a big time free agent added to Steeger, Flash, and Weiss. Plus I really like Kopecky and some of the other guys we have currently, but putting Huber into a nice 2nd line role with some solid guys like Upshall, Kopecky, etc. would be ideal for his development. Getting a Parise-type would make us a lock for the playoffs, but I wouldn't say we're "legit cup contenders" until we've actually made the playoffs for the first time in 10 years. Goaltending is looking solid and our offense is on the rise, but I'm not sold on our defense yet. It's going to take a year or two and some personnel changes before our defense is at a level that Tallon would want.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:41 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I truly suspect this is the exact reason that Booth was traded. I don't see us resigning either Sammy or Sturm and that free's up I think $4 million.

Tallon signed Upshall knowing he was similar. He thought to himself "why pay 2 guys to do the same job if I can upgrade another one for more cash". Essentially the big forward we sign this off-season (and we will sign one, I'm pretty sure of it), it will be an upgrade over what Booth was to us. If we get Parise we immediately become a serious team come next season.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:16 PM
luby3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
the Pens gave Kunitz a 2 year contract extension back in early October. Sorry, I guess you'll just have to fantasize about someone else
My bad, missed that one.

BTW, it is rumored that Parise and Suter are close friends and could decide to sign with the same team...

luby3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:01 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

For you Parise fans ...devils seem to be headed to bankruptcy ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...medium=twitter

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:46 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by luby3131 View Post
My bad, missed that one.

BTW, it is rumored that Parise and Suter are close friends and could decide to sign with the same team...
Get that USA connection going! If we got both of them I'd run around the office with an American flag and bow down to Tallon.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:06 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post

Oh well, better them than us. Whatever can help us out with Parise in the offseason.

Old
11-04-2011, 06:47 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

i personally think they would pay the money for parise. i also think we could get that type of a player too if we make the playoffs this year. but its still a long shot and their will be many suitors line up to put there hands up his dress. but here's to hoping.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Southern Hockey

Getting Parise would be too good to be true. I don't even want to think about it, it hurts my head.

Southern Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:34 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

How about starting a thread with a topic on reality.. Like discussing how our depth forwards need to start chipping in some goals.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
All Tallon was setting up for is a free roster spot for Huberdeau. Until the attendance starts averaging over 17000/game, you wont see the team spending more than approximately $55M which is what I calculate would be just the inclusion of Huberdeau and his contract (including his rookie bonuses) along with re-signing Versteeg, Kulikov, and Garrison. Tallon may have control over player moves but he's still got a budget from the owners and he won't be getting the money necessary to sign a Parise or Suter.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:10 PM
KWGoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post

Maybe Canada will get a real hockey team after all if the Devils relocate there. Oh wait, first they need a real coach. My bad.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:19 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
All Tallon was setting up for is a free roster spot for Huberdeau. Until the attendance starts averaging over 17000/game, you wont see the team spending more than approximately $55M which is what I calculate would be just the inclusion of Huberdeau and his contract (including his rookie bonuses) along with re-signing Versteeg, Kulikov, and Garrison. Tallon may have control over player moves but he's still got a budget from the owners and he won't be getting the money necessary to sign a Parise or Suter.
im not sure how the merch rights work either, but i was at a kings games last night and i went to get a kopitar jersey. i asked the guy how much, and he says $200. i almost crapped a brick. i said dont you have replica jerseys? he said that is the replica, the authentic is 400. i was like dude i got my panthers jerseys for like 80 or 90 bucks. also seats are way more expensive for the kings. but i guess you gotta get a product thats in demand first.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 04:58 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
You are probably right, but its fun to speculate nonetheless. I think the only players we will see sign $6-7 million deals are Panthers who are ready to re-up down the road, like Huberdeau or Markstrom for example. But, if he were ever to have the green light to go after a top tiered player, then this offseason would be the perfect opportunity, assuming Parise or Suter are available. I cant think of one negative signing Parise has on this team, but I can think of a number of obvious positives, with the biggest one being the Panthers become a legitimate playoff team.

Old
11-05-2011, 07:32 AM
SufferingCatFan

Doubt that Tallon is going to be that active in the off-season. I agree that we resign our top 3 free agents. Depending on how prospects develop, Tallon might also trade a player or two to clear up some space. Other than Garrison, I suspect that the rest of the UFAs will either be traded at the TDL or allowed to walk in the off season.

We lack the money to be much more than a cap floor team.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Laus723
Future Now

I think Tallon will give Parise's agent a call, should he make free agency. He should, that's his job. Gauge Parise's interest in being a Panther, and go from there. Whether he joins or not depends on quite a bit.

All in all, as much as I appreciated how excited Upshall was at the FA start, he needs to start producing or I think he's gonna find himself on his way out. Not sure if it's the guys he's paired with or what, but he needs to step it up.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
You are probably right, but its fun to speculate nonetheless. I think the only players we will see sign $6-7 million deals are Panthers who are ready to re-up down the road, like Huberdeau or Markstrom for example. But, if he were ever to have the green light to go after a top tiered player, then this offseason would be the perfect opportunity, assuming Parise or Suter are available. I cant think of one negative signing Parise has on this team, but I can think of a number of obvious positives, with the biggest one being the Panthers become a legitimate playoff team.
If we're gonna speculate for fun, I'd be looking at more realistic options to be honest. I'd be targeting Braydon Coburn this offseason. I like his size and physical play plus he may not be as expensive as Suter or Weber IMO (still would cost around $5M I bet). Plus I just think he's more realistic of a target and probably would look really good next to any one of our current d-men. I really want to upgrade our defense based on what I've seen so far and think he'd do that.

As good as Parise is, I just dont feel like he's what we need right now. We're extremely deep at LW and thats his primary position. Yeah he probably could play C (the Devils are gonna try him back there again) but I think he's more effective on the wing. I think we're really thin at RW and we should be targeting players who can play on the right side moreso. Unfortunately, the UFA class at RW seems kinda weak too. I'd be looking at David Jones if Colorado doesnt re-sign him as he'll be affordable and an easier target IMO.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:44 AM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Semin has a house in Florida..
Jokinen, Olesz and many others have houses in South Florida.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote