HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Win 4th In a Row!

Old
11-05-2011, 01:34 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Please read carefully. I didn't say Darche was better than Kostitsyn at all. Not sure how you could even derive that from anything I stated.
Neither did I, but apparently you can say I am.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:38 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Neither did I, but apparently you can say I am.
Well, this doesn't seem like a very intelligent discussion. Obviously, I said that it seemed to me you were making that very point with Weber/Subban: you claim Weber is the better player this season despite playing softer and, consequently, much easier minutes. Then you pull out this Darche/Kostitsyn analogy which ... doesn't make sense, given your position on Weber/Subban. Weber is Darche in that analogy. So either you've got your analogies crossed, or you've given up on this.

Either way, I think the discussion has run its course and is no longer interesting.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:43 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Well, this doesn't seem like a very intelligent discussion. Obviously, I said that it seemed to me you were making that very point with Weber/Subban: you claim Weber is the better player this season despite playing softer and, consequently, much easier minutes. Then you pull out this Darche/Kostitsyn analogy which ... doesn't make sense, given your position on Weber/Subban. Weber is Darche in that analogy. So either you've got your analogies crossed, or you've given up on this.

Either way, I think the discussion has run its course and is no longer interesting.
Exactly. I meant when Darche was a first liner (playing tougher competition and tougher minutes), I guess that means he was a better player than Kostitsyn who wasn't on said line (therefore playing worse competition). It's your analogy, so it must be true. Even though it's quite clear Kostitsyn is the better player. That's what I was saying.

And alright, fair enough.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 11-05-2011 at 01:50 AM.
One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:52 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
what do you mean by soft exactly, and last time I checked the goalie is part of the team, and is paid to stop the puck. The Habs dominated the first and second period, and the Sens were the better team in the third, but they are a good third period team. It seems a lot of the detractors on this board repeat the same things over and over, without deeper analysis. Maybe we need to fire the coach, or the GM, change the system completely, or maybe just relax and try to enjoy the win. In fact, this isn't real life so just enjoy the ride.
Of course Price is paid to stop the puck, but there is a limit to rely on your goaltender about every games to win games.. Guys have to play better in front of him.. The Sens have been skating through the neutral zone all night crossing the blueline easily in full control of the puck, we spent about 2\3 of the game in our zone.. We have to do a better job in the neutral zone.. We still defended our zone well but the Sens had no luck tonight, Price was a monster once again and the Sens couldnt get any bounces their way while they should have deserved better.. I take the 2 pts, but there is no doubt we wont win much on the road if we keep playing like tonight.. As for being soft, the Sens outmuscled us all night long wiining most of their battles for the puck..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:08 AM
SB164

Ottawa's coach Paul MacLean definitely went out of his way to avoid matching up Spezza's line against Plekanec's.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:12 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Exactly. I meant when Darche was a first liner (playing tougher competition and tougher minutes), I guess that means he was a better player than Kostitsyn who wasn't on said line (therefore playing worse competition). It's your analogy, so it must be true. Even though it's quite clear Kostitsyn is the better player. That's what I was saying.

And alright, fair enough.
Well, it's not my analogy (and thus, must not be true ).

In any case, ahha! I'm with you now. I misread the line about Darche being on the first line a few years ago. I had read that as you mentioning Kostitsyn being on the first line a few years ago, and so the analogy seemed to entirely contradict your current position. All is well again.

But, no, I still don't think that analogy works, and that is because Darche was never a 1st liner. Even if he played on a 1st line, he wasn't a 1st liner. Fill-ins don't count and, correct me if I'm wrong, but he never actually played the minutes either.

Anyway, you're perfectly entitled to your position, I just don't agree with it. I don't think it's fair to drop one player in soft minutes and another in hard minutes, and then say the former player is playing better than the latter. Sure, he may fulfil his role better, but to say unequivocally that Weber's been better than Subban seemingly neglects the whole Subban having a much tougher role component. And it's important to note that component. This makes judging Subban relative to other defensemen a little ambiguous. I'd venture to say that if Weber were to be dropped in a shut-down role, he'd suffer tremendously. Far more than Subban has struggled at times.

All this is moot, though. I'm wholly on board with you in being a fan of both players, and being a fan of Weber's more specifically. He's played well beyond his anticipated role, and has helped the club out tremendously when it needed that depth. I think it speaks volumes that the coach has both: a) given a ton of minutes to Weber, even if they're of the softer minute variety; and b) preferred to play Blunden up front than toss Weber in as a forward and have Emelin on the blueline--likely a preference that Martin would have had only handful of games ago.

Old
11-05-2011, 08:16 AM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Of course Price is paid to stop the puck, but there is a limit to rely on your goaltender about every games to win games.. Guys have to play better in front of him.. The Sens have been skating through the neutral zone all night crossing the blueline easily in full control of the puck, we spent about 2\3 of the game in our zone.. We have to do a better job in the neutral zone.. We still defended our zone well but the Sens had no luck tonight, Price was a monster once again and the Sens couldnt get any bounces their way while they should have deserved better.. I take the 2 pts, but there is no doubt we wont win much on the road if we keep playing like tonight.. As for being soft, the Sens outmuscled us all night long wiining most of their battles for the puck..
Your glass is perpetually half empty I see. Montreal dominated 2 periods and Ottawa dominated the 3rd. The score reflects that. You say Price is the only reason we won, but ignore that Anderson played a darn good game as well. I say Ottawa was awful lucky to only be down 2-0 after breakaways, 2-on-1's and point blank shots were all unsuccessful. Plus a retarded non call on Condra's baseball play.

Full marks to Montreal for the win tonight, tone down the whining a bit please.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Only two points out of 4th in the East. Yes, you read that correctly. The East is ridiculously close right now.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Was at the hospital last night and came in at 4:30.....nothing too serious though at the time, we thought we were losing my baby daughter. She had an episode of "convulsion fébrile"....at an Hallmark...not a fun thing to see but it "should" be under control now. Anyway, if it happens again, now we know what it is.

Anyway, so came in at 4:300 in the morning, re-watched the game and don't know about you but it was an incredibly fun and fast pace game to watch. Loved how the Habs started the game. You do have to love Eller at some point and would HATE to see Gomez take his place at center. Eller is a centerman. Just make Gomez a winger for the rest of the year and yet....replacing who? Everybody does their job and even the 4th line, a MUCH BETTER 4TH LINE, from Darche to Blunden will be hard to replace. Loving Cole and Co so far, anyway, tons of people doing their job.

Great road game, and it was really important to win this one 'cause tonight's game will not be easy with all the things we know about the Rags, Avery coming back and all....

P.S....Will the Rangers fans start a Thank you Gomez chant?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Was at the hospital last night and came in at 4:30.....nothing too serious though at the time, we thought we were losing my baby daughter. She had an episode of "convulsion fébrile"....at an Hallmark...not a fun thing to see but it "should" be under control now. Anyway, if it happens again, now we know what it is.
Holy smokes man... that's scary. It sucks when scary things like this happen and I'm glad to hear everything worked out for you.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:22 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Who said that? Potvin? As great a dman that Potvin was he's equally as bad as a color commentator..

And for the record.. Dean Brown ****ing sucks too if he's still doing RSE Sens games..
I don't even know who the commentators were except that they were just awful! Almost as bias as jack edwards

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Can anyone who watched the game on RDS in HD,post a up close "slow motion" video of Subban skating to the penealty box when he took the slashing pen at 18:37 of the second period.

Watch close on the backside of his right shoulder as he skates over to the box.
reason i mentioned this,

Was sitting there watching the game, and when PK was skating to the penealty box, out of nowhere a fly appears on my Hd screen right on Subban shoulder....

I was like where the heck that come from?and soon realised it wasn't in my house at all, it actually landed on Pk's shoulder on the ice as he skated to the box.

If anyone taped last nights game on RDS HD, check it out .As Subban skates to the box , on the back side of his)right) shoulder out of nowhere a fly/bug lands right on his shoulder and stays there till he get to the box.

Last edited by Habaneros: 11-05-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:26 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
I don't even know who the commentators were except that they were just awful! Almost as bias as jack edwards
Dennis Potvin, and Dean Brown, OMG these guys are bad, real bad...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:47 AM
groovejuice

If you've ever seen Potvin's analyses on Sportsnet, his lack of proficiency as a colour guy should come as no surprise.

He is one of those highly emotional people who thinks his opinions outweigh the facts of others. HOF defenseman, HOS commentator.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:51 AM
kempie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
We just went through the exact same thing with our 13 month old son. Laid him on the floor on his side & talked to him calmly (yeah right) while my wife dialled 911. Lasted 1-2 minutes & he slowly came around. They kept him overnight for observation but he was fine. Dr. said that 4% of kids his age will experience this and that, of those who do, 75% never have another. So fairly common and nothing to worry too much about but, while it's happening it's the scariest thing you should ever have to go through. The surprising thing is that we had no indication that he had a fever, no other symptoms. He was sleeping when it happened. We were told that it's likely to happen when the fever comes on & goes up very quickly. Anyway, I just thought I'd share my experience. I'm sure she'll be fine. Try to relax about it if you can.

Last edited by kempie: 11-05-2011 at 10:59 AM.
kempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Toastman

Clearing the Puck

Have you guys ever seen a team worse than Montreal at clearing the puck ???

Its ridiculous. Last night was the worst I've seen in a while, specially at the end of the 3rd period when the Sens had a PP

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Clearly, we're the only team that sometimes sit back on a lead. This never happens to other teams.

Clearly, it has never happened with the habs with another coach than JM.

Yes, yes, this is clearly a JM flaw. Not something that happens to every friggin team sport in existence. It's all the coach fault.
thanks for putting words in my mouth. A lot of teams sit back when they have the lead. Weather or not its Martin's strategy it should be addressed. We can't be hanging on by a thread at the end of every game here guys.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:08 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
reason i mentioned this,

Was sitting there watching the game, and when PK was skating to the penealty box, out of nowhere a fly appears on my Hd screen right on Subban shoulder....

I was like where the heck that come from?and soon realised it wasn't in my house at all, it actually landed on Pk's shoulder on the ice as he skated to the box.

If anyone taped last nights game on RDS HD, check it out .As Subban skates to the box , on the back side of his)right) shoulder out of nowhere a fly/bug lands right on his shoulder and stays there till he get to the box.
So... You are saying that something is bugging Subban?

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Get back to me when you understand the concept of a discussion board.

If you're going to make baseless accusations, prepare to 'discuss' them. Also, stop letting strangers on the internet ruin your life.
Pretty sure you just made plenty of baseless accusations there Bill. The only argument you had was goal differential when martin coached in Ottawa...your point?

So maybe you are right though maybe it is just the players. Why isn't Martin addressing this then if "coaches hate it"? Its been going on for a while now and nothing has changed. I don't see washington or pittsburgh sitting back, along with LA Vancouver, Boston, or even Toronto now!. I just find that coaches with a defensive first mentality seem to lay back when they have the lead late. Do you not see the difference?..Maybe it's not Martin but he preaches D, and players may hold the sticks a little tighter late because they don't wanna make a mistake and give up odd man rushes ect. I think if it's not martin then his defensive minded approach may rub off on the team at the wrong times of the game, not that it's a bad thing but it would be good to get a comfortable lead once in a while.

And I don't let anyone ruin my life lol I have thick skin boss. The only thing I have an issue with is that this is a discussion board and an opinion board. Not a bashing and a my point is better than yours board. Just put your egos aside when you don't have facts either. It's childish. And I apologize if I said anything to offend you.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
Pretty sure you just made plenty of baseless accusations there Bill. The only argument you had was goal differential when martin coached in Ottawa...your point?
If he provided an argument, then by definition it is not baseless.

Quote:
So maybe you are right though maybe it is just the players. Why isn't Martin addressing this then if "coaches hate it"? Its been going on for a while now and nothing has changed. I don't see washington or pittsburgh sitting back, along with LA Vancouver, Boston, or even Toronto now!.
Actually, all teams have problems with this. It's basic instinct here: one team is fighting for their life, so to speak, while the other club isn't. The former club will be tenacious and 'wanting it more,' and there's nothing the latter club can do about that fact. It's natural in every game for the team to be losing to outshoot and even outplay the winning club toward the end of the game.

Old
11-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
reason i mentioned this,

What's the big deal?

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I thought the habs did a better job in their defensive zone. From an overall 60 minute performance point of view, this was arguably Montreal's best game in terms of limiting defensive turnovers When they do that, there's a damn good chance that they will win. Having said that, Ottawa almost pulled out another comeback but its easy to see how they have had so many epic comebacks already this season. They just never give up as a collective group.... almost like their team doesnt know any better.

Last edited by Hackett: 11-05-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
My point: We both watched Martin in Ottawa (apparently). We both came to different conclusions from watching his teams play. That eliminates any anecdotal evidence that can be brought to the table. So why not look at the numbers? It would seem that any team that sat back after gaining a lead, as you said Martin's teams are known to do, would either be a) low scoring, as they wouldn't continue to press when they're up, b) a team with a low goal differential as they'd be constantly getting scored on for their lack of offensive pressure or c) a combination of a) and b). The numbers don't back that up.

Quote:
So maybe you are right though maybe it is just the players. Why isn't Martin addressing this then if "coaches hate it"? Its been going on for a while now and nothing has changed. I don't see washington or pittsburgh sitting back, along with LA Vancouver, Boston, or even Toronto now!. I just find that coaches with a defensive first mentality seem to lay back when they have the lead late. Do you not see the difference?..Maybe it's not Martin but he preaches D, and players may hold the sticks a little tighter late because they don't wanna make a mistake and give up odd man rushes ect. I think if it's not martin then his defensive minded approach may rub off on the team at the wrong times of the game, not that it's a bad thing but it would be good to get a comfortable lead once in a while.
You don't see it with those other teams as you don't watch all 82 games of their seasons as intently as you do the Habs. It's a common occurrence that when a team is trailing in a game they will take more shots and put more pressure on the opposition save for in a blowout. It isn't limited to the Habs or any other defensive-minded teams.

Quote:
And I don't let anyone ruin my life lol I have thick skin boss. The only thing I have an issue with is that this is a discussion board and an opinion board. Not a bashing and a my point is better than yours board. Just put your egos aside when you don't have facts either. It's childish. And I apologize if I said anything to offend you.
Considering I brought facts to the table whereas you offered nothing but your (admittedly) biased views on the coach, you were the one to begin with all the childish antics in this thread (basically plugging your ears when anybody disagreed with you and resorting to attacks beyond that) and you specifically stated that you didn't want me to ruin your night, that's pretty funny. I've never seen so much lack of self-awareness in one paragraph.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:49 PM
m00ks

I liked our puck movement a lot specially from our dmen. I saw plenty of easy breakouts and clean transition. Thats I'd like to see an improvement on odd man rushes. Saw plenty of missed opportunities from poor execution.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:17 PM
neofury*

ROFL sorry this last page has just been hilarious. Anyways I thought the Habs played well again. Too bad Price didn't get the shutout I have him in my league

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote