HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phillies' Baseball (MLB): 2012 Spring Training

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Phil's are seriously pursuing Michael Cuddyer according to Jim Salsbury.
Yea just read that on Mlbrumors.com. Wouldnt mind him at all. Spending seems to be very efficient this off season. No Fielder or Pujols

Old
11-05-2011, 12:37 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
Like I predicted

Old
11-05-2011, 10:23 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
The Phillies are trying to sign Cuddyer? It's almost like what last off-season should have been.

Jim Thome was signed to be the Jamie Moyer of hitters. He'll obviously be part-time, but he's going to sit around the club house all day and talk about hitting to a bunch of major league ball players who don't know how to hit.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
11-05-2011, 10:30 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 287
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Backup 1st baseman / power off the bench / future hitting coach.

Old
11-05-2011, 10:33 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The Phillies are trying to sign Cuddyer? It's almost like what last off-season should have been.

Jim Thome was signed to be the Jamie Moyer of hitters. He'll obviously be part-time, but he's going to sit around the club house all day and talk about hitting to a bunch of major league ball players who don't know how to hit.
This is the most exciting part IMO. Hopefully it rubs off on them.

Old
11-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Phileeguy
Good luck, Kimmo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
This is the most exciting part IMO. Hopefully it rubs off on them.
If Jimmy stays, don't get your hopes up too much for him even though they're good friends. But if there's anyone it might rub off on I think/hope it could be Howard. When he's around the team early on in the season next year all he'll be able to do is sit, listen, and watch tape. Both being power lefties they've got a lot in common, most obvious that timing mechanism of theirs. Maybe Jim can help Ryan see something that'll squeeze out a few more points to his AVG and OBP.

Old
11-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
3 or 4 more years of Rollins? No thank you.

There are options depending on what Amaro wants to do. I have no problem with Wilson Valdez being the everyday shortstop and hitting in the 8 hole and signing a good LF. I also wouldn't have a problem with signing Reyes.
Given how much he's going to make... you wouldn't have a problem giving huge money to a guy that is going to be 29 next year, and hasn't gotten through a season healthy three consecutive years?

Valdez is barely a ML player... and a significant downgrade from Rollins. He's also older than Rollins.

A 3 year deal for Rollins is probably what everyone should hope for given the fact that he remains a solid starting player for his position, is integral to this team's clubhouse, etc. It shouldn't be huge money, and I would be wary with anything past 3 years, but the criticisms of Rollins are largely driven by lack of knowledge about the lack of depth at SS.

Old
11-05-2011, 04:11 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Given how much he's going to make... you wouldn't have a problem giving huge money to a guy that is going to be 29 next year, and hasn't gotten through a season healthy three consecutive years?

Valdez is barely a ML player... and a significant downgrade from Rollins. He's also older than Rollins.

A 3 year deal for Rollins is probably what everyone should hope for given the fact that he remains a solid starting player for his position, is integral to this team's clubhouse, etc. It shouldn't be huge money, and I would be wary with anything past 3 years, but the criticisms of Rollins are largely driven by lack of knowledge about the lack of depth at SS.
I don't know if there is a knowledge of lack of depth, most people just look at the times when Rollins was out and the Phillies still kept winning a couple years ago. He's definitely underappreciated here, but I don't want him for the huge money he will probably want (huge being over his value.)

Old
11-05-2011, 04:54 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Wonder how legit the Cleveland and Shane rumors are. I for one wouldn't mind dealing Shane if a bigger move was to come after.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
11-05-2011, 05:27 PM
BringBackStevens

Anyone who wouldnt mind starting Wilson Valdez for a full season is a retard

Old
11-05-2011, 08:04 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Wonder how legit the Cleveland and Shane rumors are. I for one wouldn't mind dealing Shane if a bigger move was to come after.
What do the rumors have coming back? If that happens look for the Phils to sign Grady Sizemore.

Also awesome news to hear Big Jim is back in town!!

Old
11-05-2011, 08:07 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Fielder and Pujols are going to hit the open market. Predictions where they land?
I think Albert stays in St Louis and the Prince lands in Anaheim.

Old
11-05-2011, 08:53 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
What do the rumors have coming back? If that happens look for the Phils to sign Grady Sizemore.

Also awesome news to hear Big Jim is back in town!!

The most, I've seen so far [I dont know if the guy is legit or not], but it was saying Cleveland prospect position players. Which leads me to believe, they would be flipped to LA for Kemp or kept and we'd go for Reyes or someone else of the caliber.

Quote:
I agree with Albert. I'm really not sure about Prince... Boston, Ana sound good.

Last edited by SnS: 11-05-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old
11-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Jray42
Win it for Kimmo

vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
where are you hearing this?

Old
11-05-2011, 10:08 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

ALLsportsINTEL Rich Smith
MLB UPDATE - Philadelphia Phillies and Cleveland Indians talks ongoing reportedly deal would center around Indians position player prospects

its a twitter, like i said.. not sure how legit but he nailed the thome thing.

Old
11-05-2011, 10:51 PM
healthyscratch

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
Talent evaluator on the Phillies' aggressive pitch to Michael Cuddyer: "If he wants to be with the Phillies, he IS GOING to sign there."

Old
11-05-2011, 11:10 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
Talent evaluator on the Phillies' aggressive pitch to Michael Cuddyer: "If he wants to be with the Phillies, he IS GOING to sign there."
I personally hope he wants to be with us.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Cuddyer was someone I wanted them to go after last year at the deadline when it was rumored that Pence was going to cost Dom Brown, and 3 prospects. He can play multiple positions.... but seemingly not very well. However more importantly, he's good against lefties. A .290 career hitter with a .869 OPS.

He'd be a good option in a platoon with Dom Brown while Mayberry is at 1st, or he could play 1st with Mayberry in the field. He'd also be a great option for a DH against lefties in interleague play or the WS.

As for Thome, he is an awesome signing. $1.25 million for serious power off the bench, a good guy, and a knowledgeable hitter is a good deal. He gives us the type of bench player that we were sorely missing. He also is the no brainer choice for DH, especially against right handers.

Picture bringing in Jim Thome in a big pinch hit spot instead of Michael Martinez, or an injured Ross Gload. Think about the difference in a playoff bench with Cuddyer and Thome versus Martinez and Pete Orr. Imagine a DH platoon of Cuddyer and Thome in the World Series. That would be better than any NL, and probably some AL, teams could field.

I'm not a fan at moving Victorino, unless there is something serious in the works. And hopefully not Reyes. I don't want to pay a ton of money for someone who has health concerns and will be over 30 shortly. Not with the way our team is constructed.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:39 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
I think big(ish) market teams who are struggling will snag them. Teams like the Orioles, Nats, Cubs, Dodgers could all be options. Boston/NYY could go after Fielder as a DH if they wanted I suppose, but getting Pujols would be a waste of Pujols'/A-Gon's/Tex's fielding ability.

But I can also see a team like the Angels or Rangers chasing one of them, they both lack an elite 1B, although Moreland and Trumbo broke out a bit this year, and who knows what Morales can do when he comes back healthy.

Old
11-06-2011, 07:41 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I think big(ish) market teams who are struggling will snag them. Teams like the Orioles, Nats, Cubs, Dodgers could all be options. Boston/NYY could go after Fielder as a DH if they wanted I suppose, but getting Pujols would be a waste of Pujols'/A-Gon's/Tex's fielding ability.

But I can also see a team like the Angels or Rangers chasing one of them, they both lack an elite 1B, although Moreland and Trumbo broke out a bit this year, and who knows what Morales can do when he comes back healthy.
I know they are division "rival," but I'd love to see him wind up in Washington. Washington could be a scary team in a coupe years, even without Pujols, but if they signed him...watch out.

Old
11-06-2011, 10:00 AM
healthyscratch

Cool story about Thome....

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Quote:
THE RECRUITER
The Phillies are seriously pursuing free agent Michael Cuddyer, who would be a good fit because he is a right-handed bat and can play the corner infield and outfield positions. Thome and Cuddyer are good friends and Thome could help the Phillies' recruitment of Cuddyer.

"We've texted a little bit," Thome said. "We've talked. All I can say about Michael is that he's a great player. He's a winner. He's a stand-up guy. I know he's done a lot of great things on and off the field in Minnesota. Anybody that plays in that organization for a long time, their credibility is instantly high. Any team that gets him is going to gain. He's a great teammate. I would put Michael as one of my top-five, all-time favorite teammates. No question. He's up there. He's a winner."

Did Cuddyer express any interest in coming to Philly?

"I can't answer that," Thome said. "Look, every player that sees the way the Phillies have done things over the last seven or eight years, they've set the bar very, very high. Guys around baseball would love to come here. When you win, you create a lot of good things."

Did Thome encourage his former teammate to join him?

"I could, yes," he said. "Absolutely. I'm sure we will talk going forward."

Old
11-06-2011, 11:47 AM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

I'm a huge Michael Cuddyer fan! I bought his blue Twins jersey a few years back, would love to have him on the Phils.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:50 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Exciting moves in Phillies land, to say the least.

Old
11-06-2011, 02:40 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Where is Cuddyer going to play? LF? Doesn't he play all over the diamond?

EDIT: If he signs, of course.

Old
11-06-2011, 03:26 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Where is Cuddyer going to play? LF? Doesn't he play all over the diamond?

EDIT: If he signs, of course.
Wherever they need him to. He can play both corner OF, first, third and I actually read he could give Utley a rest a second here and there. Good player to have on the roster.

Closed Thread