HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 137: Penn vs Diaz

Old
11-01-2011, 04:04 AM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Strictly by boxing standards Diaz is a better striker but that's not really how MMA works. Just because Diaz is a better striker does not mean his striking will be more effective in their fight.
GSP out struck Alves and Hardy in the short time those fights were contested on the feet and I would say thy are both better pure strikers than he is. What makes Georges striking so dangerous and effective is his ability to mix it in together with his wrestling.
If Diaz comes in aggressive with his hands high and wide like he did against Penn he is going to get taken down. Hard. After a couple hard take downs combined with GSP's smothering top game Diaz will become more tentative with his striking, more defensive of the take down. And that's is when Georges will start to score with strikes if/when Diaz tries to reengaging in a striking battle he will end up on his back again .

Really that is what GSP does better than any one else in the sport, that is what makes him so dominant. He mixes his different attacks together better than anyone. Diaz may be the better striker but GSP will be the better striker in their fight.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:31 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
I see everyone talking about how amazing Diaz's standup is. I can't say I'm completely sold. He just won a 2nd and 3rd round against a guy who just got smoked by Frankie Edgar. Personally I'd like to see Diaz vs. Thiago Alves (yes I know he fights this weekend). I think people would be singing a different tune about Diaz's standup after that one. Thoughts?
Frankie Edgar probably has the best boxing skills in the entire company. Diaz is right up there too. I dont think Alves would stand much of a chance against Diaz.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:50 AM
norrisnick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Frankie Edgar probably has the best boxing skills in the entire company. Diaz is right up there too. I dont think Alves would stand much of a chance against Diaz.
Except he seems pretty oblivious on how to defend an uppercut. Beyond that, yeah.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 01:11 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Diaz' boxing is overrated. Both Penn and GSP are better strikers. Diaz just has a long reach and a very high work rate, but Penn is more skilled. If they were the same size and stamina, Penn would have outclassed him. GSP will outbox him in their fight. Ff they both decide to box, GSP will pick him apart with his jab and clean counterpunching.

GetThePuckOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:57 PM
BGDDYKWL

From bloodyelbow:
Quote:
"He likes to run his mouth, I don't get him. He just likes to talk and he is what he is," Ellenberger told ESPN.

"He's gonna get his coming against GSP. GSP's motivated, I don't see what Nick's going to bring to the table. Jake Shields was a more difficult fight for GSP.

"GSP's a lot faster than Diaz, Diaz has no power, he's not going to knock him out. He should have finished BJ and he couldn't even do that."

"His slap-box game... I would like to fight Diaz. Ideally I'd love to fight Diaz, his little patty-cake game he plays, man if he played that with me I'd put him down for sure, 100 per cent. If you did that where I come from, you get your ass whooped."
I like it.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:04 AM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Diaz' boxing is overrated. Both Penn and GSP are better strikers. Diaz just has a long reach and a very high work rate, but Penn is more skilled. If they were the same size and stamina, Penn would have outclassed him. GSP will outbox him in their fight. Ff they both decide to box, GSP will pick him apart with his jab and clean counterpunching.
If they fought with boxing rules and Diaz didn't have to be wary about defending a takedown, I think you're absolutely incorrect. However, because of GSP's wrestling pedigree, it creates a huge advantage for him in the standup.

That said, Nick Diaz isn't exactly a cerebral fighter, and will risk being taken down in order to stand and trade.

Ever since Serra clipped GSP, he's been extremely cautious with strikers and focused on working the scorecards as safely as possible. For that reason, I can't imagine we will see him "outboxing" Diaz.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:25 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
From bloodyelbow:

I like it.
What exactly do you like about that?

He sounds bitter because Diaz is getting a title shot and he isn't. Or maybe he was smoking some of that stuff Diaz likes so much.

The comment about BJ is just ridiculous. He has only been finished once in his career so it's not surprising that Diaz couldn't put him away. Ellenberger is probably the only guy who thinks Shields is a tougher fight for GSP.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:18 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I hate Diaz, I like GSP, and I like strong wrestlers. It's probably as simple as that for me. I also like the fact that someone calls Diaz out for running his mouth all the time. And I liked how he said he'd put Diaz on his back and "whoop him".

Old
11-04-2011, 05:33 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
I hate Diaz, I like GSP, and I like strong wrestlers. It's probably as simple as that for me. I also like the fact that someone calls Diaz out for running his mouth all the time. And I liked how he said he'd put Diaz on his back and "whoop him".
I just don't get that. Wrestling is by far the most boring element in all of MMA.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:55 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
I just don't get that. Wrestling is by far the most boring element in all of MMA.
Possibly, but Jake Ellenberger is anything but boring.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:23 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
If they fought with boxing rules and Diaz didn't have to be wary about defending a takedown, I think you're absolutely incorrect. However, because of GSP's wrestling pedigree, it creates a huge advantage for him in the standup.

That said, Nick Diaz isn't exactly a cerebral fighter, and will risk being taken down in order to stand and trade.

Ever since Serra clipped GSP, he's been extremely cautious with strikers and focused on working the scorecards as safely as possible. For that reason, I can't imagine we will see him "outboxing" Diaz.
I disagree. Diaz picks his body shots very well, goes upstairs then downstairs, always keeping his opponents guessing, which adds to his pressure. He has a limited skill set but he uses it intelligently.

I also don't think GSP will be too worried. Serra caught him with a looping overhand that Diaz doesn't possess. Diaz gets KO's more by accumulation than by one punch power. But if GSP kept the fight in the center of the ring and boxed, I don't think Diaz would do much but get picked apart. Another of the big differences between GSP and Penn would be GSP has much quicker feet and wouldn't get put against the cage like Penn was. It would be a much different stand up fight.

GetThePuckOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:11 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
From bloodyelbow:

I like it.
I love this as well. And I like Diaz too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post

He sounds bitter because Diaz is getting a title shot and he isn't. Or maybe he was smoking some of that stuff Diaz likes so much.

The comment about BJ is just ridiculous. He has only been finished once in his career so it's not surprising that Diaz couldn't put him away. Ellenberger is probably the only guy who thinks Shields is a tougher fight for GSP.
A "U Mad" pic would work well here.

He doesn't sound bitter, he's just stating his opinion like Diaz does all the time. I agree with most of what he said too. Diaz doesn't have any power and his slap-box style most likely won't work against GSP. I don't agree with him saying Shields was the tougher fight but he's not that far off. Most of all I love that he's talking some trash to Diaz just like Nick does to everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Possibly, but Jake Ellenberger is anything but boring.
One of my favourite WW's in the world. Just a fun guy to watch fight.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
From bloodyelbow:

I like it.
When was the last time Ellendegeneres finished BJ Penn?

Just another fool trying to make himself relevant.

The only "name" he has on his win column is a fighter who just lost his dad prior to the fight.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:32 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
I like the philosophy. Don't get me wrong, I understand how people don't like lay and pray guys, but my personal opinion is the best way to win a fight is to be able to control your opponent with great wrestling and being the physically stronger of the two. Because I believe that I'm inclined to cheer for guys who fit that mold. I'm not a fan of guys who get tossed around, or guys who don't take strength seriously. I'm not saying my philosophy is right, but obviously it makes me happy when fighters who have those characteristics win. That's why I like GSP, Lesnar, Carwin, Cain, Jones, Sonnen, and dislike guys like Diaz, Anderson, etc.

Old
11-04-2011, 06:27 PM
I Am Beat You

I think Nick Diaz may just be the most overrated fighter in MMA history at this moment in time. GSP is going to absolutely embarrass him, can't wait for it.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Jasper

vCash: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
I think Nick Diaz may just be the most overrated fighter in MMA history at this moment in time. GSP is going to absolutely embarrass him, can't wait for it.
Agreed. Even Diaz thought so with his comments during the press conferenc about taking his beating & going home. Sarcasm or not.

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Captain_Cunney

I'm not a big fan of Diaz but anyone who thinks he is over-rated hasn't been paying attention for the last 4/5 years. Say what you will about his character but there is no denying his MMA toolbox.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:13 AM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
I'm not a big fan of Diaz but anyone who thinks he is over-rated hasn't been paying attention for the last 4/5 years. Say what you will about his character but there is no denying his MMA toolbox.
He is absolutely overrated. The guy wins in a B level organization (and gets dropped at least once in most of his fights), comes to the UFC and gets worked by Penn in the first round standing and briefly on the ground. Penn's cardio unsurprisingly was crappy, and Diaz pushed the pace and exploited it. Diaz has a very solid chin and great endurance, but in my opinion this talk of him being the best boxer in MMA is insane. He's going to get worked by GSP no matter where the fight takes place and I can't wait for it.

Penn has only beaten one fighter at 170 in his career (Hughes x2). Diaz was definitely a tough matchup for him which he made even tougher by playing into Diaz's game as the fight wore on. I don't know if he wanted to make it a "slugfest" after their little confrontation at the weigh ins, but for BJ to make the fight a brawl with his suspect cardio and Diaz's furious pace was pretty much a recipe for a loss. His corner screamed at him over and over to take the fight to the ground, and by the time BJ actually decided to listen and take a shot, he was far too gassed. Even still, he connected with quite a few punches in the 3rd.

On top of being overrated, Diaz is the biggest whiner in MMA and his thug act is tiresome. While I don't think he's deserving of the title shot, I can't wait to see him get completely embarrassed by GSP.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote