HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vermette on the block? Teams calling about Brassard

Old
11-03-2011, 04:37 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Have you seen what Couturier is doing in Philadelphia? Hell he is outscoring Carter.

Of course that is shortsighted but Howson needs to be held accountable.
He is insulated there in ways that he couldn't be in Columbus. He has guys like Max Talbot and James VanRiemsdyk around him. He doesn't need to score, just concentrate on playing solid defense. He also has one of the best blue lines in the league, so his mistakes aren't as critical. It's a very different situation.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:48 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Oh I totally agree with you about Howson and accountability. I was just offering an option to what he might be doing. Lets be honest, Vermette hasnt been good, if you want some one with potential to thrive in a different situation, its Brassard. That being said, I dont care who he trades, whether it be Brass or Vermette, I just want a legit top 4 dman.
I agree, Vermette hasn't been great. He's picked it up a bit as of late, but pretty well the forward core spare maybe Prospal could do better. The other thing, is that Vermette has way too many years on his contract for other GM's to be comfortable I would think. Brassard is the obvious choice because of his offensive upside and age. He is being outperformed by a 19 year old.

Edit : Leek, I realize that. It wasn't meant to be taken entirely seriously, just to point out that Howson wasn't a mastermind on the deal. He paid for at least market value for Carter.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:44 PM
EspenK

Either or both plus whatever, (within reason) that would give us Bobby Ryan seems like a no brainer to me. I wouldn't give up this year's number 1 pick but anything else would be acceptable.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:53 PM
EdwardG
North!

I'm pretty sure Vermette hasn't been with the team for well over a year. Too bad, as he was once a pretty effective player.

IMO Brassard is a bust. I do wonder sometimes what players like Brassard would have become if they were nurtured in a better organization.

EdwardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
IMO Brassard is a bust. I do wonder sometimes what players like Brassard would have become if they were nurtured in a better organization.
He might have been a productive NHLer. He always had the talent.

This place is where careers go to die.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

The way things are going, both Vermette and Brassard could end up getting moved this season.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:17 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Solution: Get rid of both.

No more Frenchies or Rooshkies.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:09 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
He might have been a productive NHLer. He always had the talent.

This place is where careers go to die.
The Nat is from here on out known as the Grave Yard... I like it.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:27 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Solution: Get rid of both.

No more Frenchies or Rooshkies.
Add in Canadians and we wouldn't be able to field a team!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:38 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Please explain. What issues are going to confront Anaheim next season? You've made several remarks that they are screwed up. I haven't followed them closely enough to know what's going on. Why is their future so bad?
Selanne will be retired. Koivu will either be retired or gone. Same for Jason Blake.

They'll need to re-sign, acquire or develop 3 defensemen as Beauchemin, Foster and Brookbank are UFAs. Some of which isn't a bad thing because outside of Fowler, Sbisa and Vishnovsky, they probably need a reboot on defense. And Vishnovsky probably doesn't have a whole lot left in the tank.

So, basically, they'll be Jonas Hiller, the big line and...whatever Murray acquires next off-season. Which, despite cap space, he may be limited in doing because (1) the Samuelis have been trying to run on a lower budget and (2) the following off-season (and more likely sometime after July 1) he's got to re-sign Perry and Getzlaf whose deals expire in 2013.

The Ducks have probably overperformed the last few years given the dropoff in talent, but that will come to an end next season. Unless Hiller can win every game 1-0.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:13 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
I'm pretty sure Vermette hasn't been with the team for well over a year. Too bad, as he was once a pretty effective player.

To what I eluded to in my first post of this, I think (outside of the obvious turnover in coaches) Brass's development was actually handled better than most of our prospects had been until that point... He was returned to Junior, played a season in Syracuse, averaging well over a PPG, then made it to the league.

like I said, outside the coaching turnover, which is pretty commonplace in the league and I consider only a small portion of the reason he never really did pan out, even when we try to develop the right way, the organization can't quite get it right.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:17 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

If the Jackets were to deal Vermette, what would it take from a Devils standpoint? We need help down the middle, he has the wheels to keep up with either Kovalchuk or Parise, plays a solid 2 way game and he can finish.

Seems like a solid for our 2nd line.

Thanks

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:26 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
If the Jackets were to deal Vermette, what would it take from a Devils standpoint? We need help down the middle, he has the wheels to keep up with either Kovalchuk or Parise, plays a solid 2 way game and he can finish.

Seems like a solid for our 2nd line.

Thanks
What we need it is a stay-at-home defensman with speed, very good defense and good work in the front of the net (for example Volchenkov, attention! it is only example) or a NHL g-man. But we can agree with 1st round pick (sorry it is only joke )

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote