HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Letestu

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2011, 02:27 PM
mpp9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
I believe you. Haven't seen him play that much. Somehow I just figured he would be less shooting, less physical and right-handed, more dangling version of Hossa.
He's incredibly entertaining to watch, but not a player that Shero would go out of his way to get like he did with Hossa. We don't need a player like that anymore, just another top 9 RW imo.

Old
11-05-2011, 02:35 PM

I think Letestu has some value but needs the right players around him. He kind of reminds me of Jan Hrdina in that way.

I'ld like to see the Pens go after a guy like Shirokov, Max Sauve or at least inquire about Boedker.

Maybe a package can be put together for Radulov. As long as the Pens can get the OK from him first.

Old
11-05-2011, 04:39 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
He's incredibly entertaining to watch, but not a player that Shero would go out of his way to get like he did with Hossa. We don't need a player like that anymore, just another top 9 RW imo.
By "just another top 9 RW" you mean Hemsky is that kind of player? IMO, he would be our top line player easily. His vision and passing ability is extraordinary. But his injuries scares me so much ! I don't think there's any player in this league who has bigger problems with injuries than Hemsky.

Old
11-05-2011, 04:48 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
By "just another top 9 RW" you mean Hemsky is that kind of player? IMO, he would be our top line player easily. His vision and passing ability is extraordinary. But his injuries scares me so much ! I don't think there's any player in this league who has bigger problems with injuries than Hemsky.
Na, I meant we don't "need" a top line talent like him. All we need is a replacement for Dupuis on Sid's RW. Hemsky wouldn't be a great fit in that role imo, especially factoring in what it would take to pry him away. But I do like the idea of a playmaker that can keep up with Sid and isn't soft on the boards.

Old
11-05-2011, 05:18 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidgeni Malkby View Post
My my my...
Incredible how Letestu's stock has fallen.

Just last year, folks were talking about trading Staal and keeping Letestu in the 3rd line center role.

That being said...
I think trading for a risky winger would be more helpful, as we always seem to be on short supply of those.

No one who actually has any brains would have been saying that.

Old
11-05-2011, 05:49 PM
gialloneri
Hypno-Brooks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
High-risk, high-reward winger prospect (who is not panning out somewhere else - maybe a guy we had our eye on some prior draft), or a late pick in this year's draft. Book it. There is no way in hell we're getting a regular roster player for Mark Letestu. That is, someone good enough to regularly play on this roster, as opposed to some doormat's roster.
Linus Omark has been sent down by Edmonton and scratched 5 out of 10 games in the bigs this season - fits into the definition perfectly...

Old
11-05-2011, 08:50 PM
SEALBound

Letestu or Omark?

I think it would be lovely to maybe even package Letestu and perhaps someone else for a better #5? Maybe Letestu + Nisky for decent #5? I just see the 3rd pairing being our only weakness...

Old
11-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Letestu or Omark?

I think it would be lovely to maybe even package Letestu and perhaps someone else for a better #5? Maybe Letestu + Nisky for decent #5? I just see the 3rd pairing being our only weakness...
Frankly, I don't see the need. Niskanen and Engelland are both good bottom pairing defensemen.

Like, do people see what other teams have for their #5-6s? I think the fact that we have 4 top pairing defenseman has spoiled some of us and skewed our perception of what constitutes a bottom pairing guy in the NHL in 2011.

Old
11-05-2011, 09:10 PM
JTG

Yeah Im not seeing the need for a another defenseman. Our boottom 3 have done alot to establish themselves as NHL caliber defensemen

Old
11-05-2011, 09:18 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Yeah Im not seeing the need for a another defenseman. Our boottom 3 have done alot to establish themselves as NHL caliber defensemen
And even beyond those 3 guys we have Strait, Bortuzzo, Despres, and Picard.

The trick is just to get them all healthy.

Old
11-06-2011, 02:20 AM
BoneShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I think Letestu has some value but needs the right players around him. He kind of reminds me of Jan Hrdina in that way.

I'ld like to see the Pens go after a guy like Shirokov, Max Sauve or at least inquire about Boedker.

Maybe a package can be put together for Radulov. As long as the Pens can get the OK from him first.
No way you get Boedker. He may only have two points so far but he is playing great hockey for us right now and is starting to earn some top 6 ince time. If you want Kyle Turris thought you can move him to RW, I think he has played RW in the past

Old
11-06-2011, 02:30 AM
River Man

He isn't going to return the team any player of significance. Therefore, when it comes time to move him, I would prefer to see a draft pick.

Old
11-06-2011, 08:27 AM
87isgod

Well I have bashed letestu a lot. But the more I watch him the more I realize its not as much as him being bad as it is he's just a bad fit for our system. I could see him excelling in a different system that isn't predicated on speed. I think teams that play more of a trap game would suit his style much better.

Old
11-06-2011, 09:19 AM
ss53mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneShow View Post
No way you get Boedker. He may only have two points so far but he is playing great hockey for us right now and is starting to earn some top 6 ince time. If you want Kyle Turris thought you can move him to RW, I think he has played RW in the past
I find that surprising. Are you saying straight up?

Old
11-06-2011, 10:48 AM
JTG

Kyle Turris wants a crazy amount of money for having accomplished nothing. There's no way I make a trade for him.

I also don't like what he's doing right now. Phoenix is looking for guys to step up. Rather than stepping up, he wants to step out. That doesn't sit well with me.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Is it really money with Turris? I heard his agent say it wasn't about money and some speculated that Turris doesn't like the coach or his role on that team.

Regardless, I don't see him as a good fit here since he's mostly a center.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Kyle Turris wants a crazy amount of money for having accomplished nothing. There's no way I make a trade for him.

I also don't like what he's doing right now. Phoenix is looking for guys to step up. Rather than stepping up, he wants to step out. That doesn't sit well with me.
Apparently that was just a ploy to get out of Phoenix.

We could say that's a character issue, but he's hardly the first young player to do it there (Wheeler, Wolski, etc.).

Old
11-06-2011, 11:32 AM
PTWarrior66*

Good, get rid of the test tube.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:19 PM
BoneShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss53mech View Post
I find that surprising. Are you saying straight up?
Straight up no, I wasn't making a trade proposal. I'm just saying it seems like a lot of Pens fans want some more RW depth and Turris has played RW in the past I believe, plus he wants out of Phoenix. Our GM has said he won't trade him but I think if the right offer comes along he will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Is it really money with Turris? I heard his agent say it wasn't about money and some speculated that Turris doesn't like the coach or his role on that team.

No the money was a ploy to try and force a trade. Like I said above, he is a canter but he could slide over to RW if need be for a team like the Pens who have a stacked center depth chart

Old
11-06-2011, 02:55 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Apparently that was just a ploy to get out of Phoenix.

We could say that's a character issue, but he's hardly the first young player to do it there (Wheeler, Wolski, etc.).
And I probably wouldn't take anyone else who did it either.

Old
11-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Jacob

I won't pretend to know what Edmonton's needs are, but I'd be intrigued by a Letestu-for-Omark swap. He could be a good fit for the spot about to be vacated by Sully after this season.. Or he could be another Pesonen, but it's low risk & high reward.

Old
11-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post

All speculation, but I really think money is a small part of Turris essentially refusing to sign in Phoenix. I think he'd sign just about anywhere else for a third of what he's asking out of the Coyotes. I still don't think he's proven nearly enough to be someone that we should consider, since he will cost a decent asset in a bidding war, and he is a natural center as well.

Moving on.

Omark would be a very interesting candidate. I don't see him fitting in that well in Bylsma's system, but he definitely has the skill to bring something, even if he isn't playing on a nightly basis. Thing is, Letestu isn't someone that's going to interest Edmonton. They have a glut of third line centers, but they're lacking a 2nd line center (hence all of those damned Staal to Edmonton proposals on the trade board that pop up every couple of days). They also have a glut of young bottom pairing defenders, so someone like Strait or Lovejoy isn't going to interest them too much, either.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
11-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Omark would be a good target and would definitely cost more than Letestu alone.

Old
11-06-2011, 06:29 PM
JTG

I don't know if Omark would be a good idea systematically speaking, but it'd be a ton of fun to watch him here. I'd give up Letestu to see it.

Old
11-06-2011, 07:03 PM
LiffLaff
Crazy? Me?

make a pakage for Wheeler, and stick him on sids rw

Closed Thread