HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Howson Thread

View Poll Results: Should Scott Howson be fired?
Yes 85 59.03%
No 59 40.97%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2011, 05:39 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Ar-too Dee-too it is you!

Where the heck have you been hiding? Perhaps the same place our real team is, 'cause this clearly isn't it.
R2 came back to pitch XGMDM to us.

Old
11-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Milltec

I just want to openly vote for Paul Fenton as our next GM. Let him hire a coach.

Old
11-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milltec View Post
I just want to openly vote for Paul Fenton as our next GM. Let him hire a coach.
His resume is pretty sound. Being another assistant GM has some apprehensive. Coming from a team that drafts and judges character well, as well as developing players well, I like Fenton also.

Another aspect of Fenton coming from Nashville, is the fact that Nashville builds teams from the net out. Something Columbus has never been capable of.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=36986

Last edited by Jaxs: 11-06-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old
11-06-2011, 08:20 AM
CapnCornelius

I don't need experience, I need competence. That's why hiring a competent president or "consultant" like a Pat Quinn or Craig Patrick whose sole job is to make sure it's the right fit would make sense. Heck, if it's true the league has been asked to help, maybe Colly Campbell would be willing to act in such a capacity temporarily. But, please God, don't let Priest and the JPMac gang do this by themselves.

Old
11-06-2011, 08:55 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
We cannot have any more on the job training in Columbus. We CANNOT build a Taj Mahal with furniture we are buying at Big Lots.
Hextall is one of the most competitive, firey people you could ever imagine. He is the exact type of personality needed in Columbus.

Cougar, go do a youtube search on him. This guy could lead the most timid into the jaws of hell.

Old
11-06-2011, 09:21 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Hextall is one of the most competitive, firey people you could ever imagine. He is the exact type of personality needed in Columbus.

Cougar, go do a youtube search on him. This guy could lead the most timid into the jaws of hell.
Timid into the jaws of hell....

I like that. I will check him out. Kinda drinking my first cup of coffee. LOL

Old
11-06-2011, 09:29 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Timid into the jaws of hell....

I like that. I will check him out. Kinda drinking my first cup of coffee. LOL
Ronnie was a mean dude when he played, I remember that....

Old
11-06-2011, 09:33 AM
jacks johnson

Hockey Break on twitter just posted, that a month ago Rick Nash was absolutely not available, since then he has heard news that contradicts that. Also check out this photo from Dark Blue Jacket...

http://darkbluejacket.blogspot.com/2...er-part-2.html

Old
11-06-2011, 09:36 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Ronnie was a mean dude when he played, I remember that....
At this point, being a former player means nothing to me. I can't think of one example of a former player that has found success at another level. Gretzky was a player but couldn't coach. Mike Peca really sucks as a commentator. It's like listening to a mortician talk about his work. Scott Arniel.... I'm extremely skeptical that this is where we need to look.

Old
11-06-2011, 09:37 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clitter on the point View Post
Hockey Break on twitter just posted, that a month ago Rick Nash was absolutely not available, since then he has heard news that contradicts that. Also check out this photo from Dark Blue Jacket...

http://darkbluejacket.blogspot.com/2...er-part-2.html
I saw that too and the first thing I thought was OMG we have GOT to get Howson out of office before he pulls the ultimate STUPID move.

Old
11-06-2011, 09:42 AM
jacks johnson

Double post... sorry

Last edited by jacks johnson: 11-06-2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: double post
Old
11-06-2011, 09:52 AM
MoeWanchuk

Quote:
I saw that too and the first thing I thought was OMG we have GOT to get Howson out of office before he pulls the ultimate STUPID move.
I agree. I really hope he doesn't get to make one more stupid move before he's shown the door. Hopefully we hear something by the end of today.... Something needs to be done ASAP for your exact reason. I loved the offseason moves, but I can't help but think it was all for nothing since they did absolutely nothing regarding the goalie situation.

Old
11-06-2011, 09:53 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
At this point, being a former player means nothing to me. I can't think of one example of a former player that has found success at another level. Gretzky was a player but couldn't coach. Mike Peca really sucks as a commentator. It's like listening to a mortician talk about his work. Scott Arniel.... I'm extremely skeptical that this is where we need to look.
Oh, I totally agree... Just commenting that Ron Hextall was a spark plug when he player, and he's a former 'tender.

I think the time to look at the unexperienced guys with a high upside are past, unless you want to fire Priest (Yes, Please!), Howson and Arniel and hire a new President that immediately gives you league credibility and elevate Richards or Hitch the rest of the season....

Have the new guy set his staff this coming offseason, allow him free reign to make necessary changes everywhere in this organization.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 11-06-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old
11-06-2011, 09:57 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Trading Nash is looking less and less stupid if you ask me, but I haven't been a Nash fan since he got the "C".... I honestly think Howson lacks the... ummm "Huevos" to trade Nash, even if it meant his job otherwise, Nash has the NMC and I think he has no desire to waive it.... why would he? He has pretty much proven that he really doesn't have a desire to win now himself, he's got another 7 years on it, why would he want to go somewhere where he'd maybe face more public scrutiny then he faces here?

Old
11-06-2011, 10:01 AM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Oh, I totally agree... Just commenting that Ron Hextall was a spark plug when he player, and he's a former 'tender.

I think the time to look at the unexperienced guys with a high upside are past, unless you want to fire Priest, Howson and Arniel and hire a new President that immediately gives you league credibility and elevate Richards or Hitch the rest of the season....

Have the new guy set his staff this coming offseason, allow him free reign to make necessary changes everywhere in this organization.
They cant afford to wait any longer, and it would require too many moves in one offseason, if im understanding you correctly. We absolutely need a new gm today if possible, get a stragety together and blow this team up. I would absolutely shop nash, as I imagine a bidding war could ensue, and could turn around this mess much quicker, with the right leadership of course. Brassard would be next, and so on. I love Nash, but he is too ho hum, and inconsistent on top of that, for what we pay him. Blow it up, build around Carter, Johan, Wiz, and Cam(love his motor).

Old
11-06-2011, 10:05 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Trading Nash is looking less and less stupid if you ask me, but I haven't been a Nash fan since he got the "C".... I honestly think Howson lacks the... ummm "Huevos" to trade Nash, even if it meant his job otherwise, Nash has the NMC and I think he has no desire to waive it.... why would he? He has pretty much proven that he really doesn't have a desire to win now himself, he's got another 7 years on it, why would he want to go somewhere where he'd maybe face more public scrutiny then he faces here?
Duh, Do you really think Howson wants to go down as "the guy who traded Nash?"

And honestly, do you think trading Nash makes this team better?

No.

Instead, get rid of the deadweight: Antwan and Stevie.
...and maybe Arniel.
Like we said with Hitch, it's apparent that "he's lost the room."

Old
11-06-2011, 10:16 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeWanchuk View Post
I agree. I really hope he doesn't get to make one more stupid move before he's shown the door. Hopefully we hear something by the end of today.... Something needs to be done ASAP for your exact reason. I loved the offseason moves, but I can't help but think it was all for nothing since they did absolutely nothing regarding the goalie situation.
First of all, welcome to the board. Hope you enjoy being surrounded by some pretty passionate hockey fans!!

On the summer moves...

I was not impressed with Carter, the man, for his lack of handling the move professionally. In contrast, I loved Wiz. Attitude matters because it affects play. Both are good players bought at ridiculous prices because of league thin availability. We were so desperate for good players, this move had to be made. The frustrating part, for me, is that those kind of moves should have been made from the start. Howson made them but didn't budget for the obvious effect of weak defense, which has pretty much nullified the good moves. We're good on paper but just like paper, can't hold much and tears apart under stress.

Old
11-06-2011, 10:20 AM
EspenK

Trading Nash would be the undoing of this team! With him the Blue jackets have 5 points-without him the total would surely be 3 or less. And if you could get a top-2 D man and a couple of prospects and maybe a solid role player then a few more current BJ's would have to go. I mean what a disaster that would be. I mean think about it.Who next? Brass? Vermette?Umbie? Methot? Mason? The point total would possible be 0.

Old
11-06-2011, 10:32 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Trade all team for Oilers team

Seriously, in the 1th WW Russian army was practical destroyed in 1915 year... and all await his fall. After the comming of Tsar Nikolaj Alexandrovich.... Russian Army waked up, situation was better and this "destroyed" army begun to win and if not politics this army is winner, I was shocked when I red documents about it.

So, we are destroyed now we want to trade players, trade staffs etc.... IMO everybody must understand it is a critical time and change hisself, his play etc.... and we will begin to win!!!

Old
11-06-2011, 10:36 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If Nash asked for a trade now, how many would praise him for finally wanting to win and how many would berate him for cutting and running?

Old
11-06-2011, 10:43 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:

I think the time to look at the unexperienced guys with a high upside are past, unless you want to fire Priest (Yes, Please!), Howson and Arniel and hire a new President that immediately gives you league credibility and elevate Richards or Hitch the rest of the season....

Ya know, Keith, I don't know what a new guy could do with this mess. Howson has saddled us with some contracts that were justifiable here to some, but in other markets are horrible.

Quote:
See, I disagree on all counts. I think the only identity we have is Rick Nash. He's the only card we have up our short sleeves. The guy does perform. I think that's why we pay him. To score. And when he's not scoring, he's trying to cover up for the pitiful defense. Actually, he works hard to plug up the holes in this dam mess. (yes, that was intentional, not spell check failure) Nash gets the brunt of a lot of our frustration because we expect him to do it all and in those moments when he can't, we are mad. I don't think it's fair. But to tell you the truth, a move would be the best and perhaps the kindest thing we could do for Rick Nash. He deserves better than he's getting. Overlooked in all this is the effect this has on his own stats. He deserves better.

I still want to know why few here do not lay any responsibility on the shoulders of RJ Umberger. Really. He has shown no effort whatsoever in leading this team on or off the ice. None. I think I've seem him hustle twice this season. The rest of the time he just floats. Last time I checked he wears an A so when we are discussing weakness in leadership, I find it odd that his name is not mentioned.

Even Vermette was visibly upset last night and I've seen it in other games. He may not be scoring but he does seem to care when mistakes are made, especially when they are his own. But yeah, let's trade him....ya know? And despite the fact that we cry for passion, when we see it, it is dismissed.

All traits of a fan base that has been abused for too long at the hands of a twisted GM. And apparently ownership doesn't give a damn how we feel, what we see or what is going on because last time I checked this morning nothing has changed.

Old
11-06-2011, 10:57 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Ya know, Keith, I don't know what a new guy could do with this mess. Howson has saddled us with some contracts that were justifiable here to some, but in other markets are horrible.

See, I disagree on all counts. I think the only identity we have is Rick Nash. He's the only card we have up our short sleeves. The guy does perform. I think that's why we pay him. To score. And when he's not scoring, he's trying to cover up for the pitiful defense. Actually, he works hard to plug up the holes in this dam mess. (yes, that was intentional, not spell check failure) Nash gets the brunt of a lot of our frustration because we expect him to do it all and in those moments when he can't, we are mad. I don't think it's fair. But to tell you the truth, a move would be the best and perhaps the kindest thing we could do for Rick Nash. He deserves better than he's getting. Overlooked in all this is the effect this has on his own stats. He deserves better.

I still want to know why few here do not lay any responsibility on the shoulders of RJ Umberger. Really. He has shown no effort whatsoever in leading this team on or off the ice. None. I think I've seem him hustle twice this season. The rest of the time he just floats. Last time I checked he wears an A so when we are discussing weakness in leadership, I find it odd that his name is not mentioned.

Even Vermette was visibly upset last night and I've seen it in other games. He may not be scoring but he does seem to care when mistakes are made, especially when they are his own. But yeah, let's trade him....ya know? And despite the fact that we cry for passion, when we see it, it is dismissed.

All traits of a fan base that has been abused for too long at the hands of a twisted GM. And apparently ownership doesn't give a damn how we feel, what we see or what is going on because last time I checked this morning nothing has changed.
Team leadership should start and end with the guy wearing the "C". I'm glad Nash has shown the ability to be a PPG player with less than stellar linemates, thats only half of what we need from him.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Duh, Do you really think Howson wants to go down as "the guy who traded Nash?"

And honestly, do you think trading Nash makes this team better?

No.

Instead, get rid of the deadweight: Antwan and Stevie.
...and maybe Arniel.
Like we said with Hitch, it's apparent that "he's lost the room."
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Trading Nash would be the undoing of this team! With him the Blue jackets have 5 points-without him the total would surely be 3 or less. And if you could get a top-2 D man and a couple of prospects and maybe a solid role player then a few more current BJ's would have to go. I mean what a disaster that would be. I mean think about it.Who next? Brass? Vermette?Umbie? Methot? Mason? The point total would possible be 0.

I'm not sure why people still think this?? Why is it assumed the franchise can't survive without Rick Nash?? What are we doing with him on the team??
1 playoff appearance, 0 wins.
A team doesn't have to be built around a left winger. Good teams are built around defense and goaltending, then after that are supplemented with good forwards.
You also don't know what you'd be getting back when you're saying don't trade him.
What if it was Keith Yandle and Turris??
Or Jack Johnson + Bernier + another 1st?

Winning games is what the fans want, not a certain player.
It's all about what's on the front of the jersey, not the back.

Last edited by Timeless Winter: 11-06-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old
11-06-2011, 11:09 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Team leadership should start and end with the guy wearing the "C". I'm glad Nash has shown the ability to be a PPG player with less than stellar linemates, thats only half of what we need from him.
And if you remove him, what do you have left?

Old
11-06-2011, 11:09 AM
blahblah

Quote:
And if you remove him, what do you have left?
Boll.

Not sure how much I care about the current leadership group to be honest. RJ, Vermette, Nash, Wiz...

Time to look around the Titanic and the last life boat and figure out what's worth saving.

Closed Thread