HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Fire Howson Thread

View Poll Results: Should Scott Howson be fired?
Yes 85 59.03%
No 59 40.97%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2011, 11:12 AM
CBJCougar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Boll
Smart ass. LOL

I gotta tell you, at this point, Boll is my only concern. Poor kid. Stuck in hell with no ice water and a broken paw.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:31 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
At this point, being a former player means nothing to me. I can't think of one example of a former player that has found success at another level. Gretzky was a player but couldn't coach. Mike Peca really sucks as a commentator. It's like listening to a mortician talk about his work. Scott Arniel.... I'm extremely skeptical that this is where we need to look.
Here is his post career bio:

Upon his retirement from playing in 1999, Hextall immediately joined the Philadelphia Flyers' set-up as a Professional Scout. He was promoted to Director of Professional Player Personnel three years later, and was considered by the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame to be a key factor in the success experienced by the Flyers during the early 2000s, when they won the Atlantic Division three times, and reached the Eastern Conference Finals on two occasions. In June 2006, Hextall moved to the Los Angeles Kings to take on the role of Vice President and Assistant General Manager. In addition, Hextall also serves as the General Manager of the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL, the Kings’ primary affiliate.

He has a winning pedigree as a player, a scout and a front office employee. He's a firey leader who has high standards and doesn't accept excuses or a "woe is us" attitude. His is Mr. Passion.

I don't honestly know if he is the best guy for the job, or if he would even take it. Certainly Dave Nonis has experience as a GM and might be interested. I am sure there are others as well.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
If Nash asked for a trade now, how many would praise him for finally wanting to win and how many would berate him for cutting and running?
Everyone.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:53 AM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Duh, Do you really think Howson wants to go down as "the guy who traded Nash?"

And honestly, do you think trading Nash makes this team better?

No.

Instead, get rid of the deadweight: Antwan and Stevie.
...and maybe Arniel.
Like we said with Hitch, it's apparent that "he's lost the room."
Trading Nash could absolutely make this team better. You don't think that there would be a bidding war for Nash ? Maybe you get a stud goalie and stud dman and another asset that can help you win every night. Is Nash a game changer night in and night out for us ? Right now he has 1 more goal than Johan. Nash is streaky, and not captain material . Trade him and umberger , make prospal captain, with carter as assistant. Move brassard. Before any of this bring In an aggressive gm, as aggression needs to start at the top

Old
11-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
If Nash asked for a trade now, how many would praise him for finally wanting to win and how many would berate him for cutting and running?
how many would overrate what we "should" get back in exchange for him...

Old
11-06-2011, 12:06 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I'm not sure why people still think this?? Why is it assumed the franchise can't survive without Rick Nash?? What are we doing with him on the team??
1 playoff appearance, 0 wins.
A team doesn't have to be built around a left winger. Good teams are built around defense and goaltending, then after that are supplemented with good forwards.
You also don't know what you'd be getting back when you're saying don't trade him.
What if it was Keith Yandle and Turris??
Or Jack Johnson + Bernier + another 1st?

Winning games is what the fans want, not a certain player.
It's all about what's on the front of the jersey, not the back.
I'm not sure of the other poster's intent was but mine was clearly sarcastic-if you can't figure that out, at least look at the the smilies and see what they stand for-it may help you understand

Old
11-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

smitchcd Shawn Mitchell
by Aportzline
No major changes to #CBJ appear imminent, on the trade front or otherwise.
38 minutes ago

#CBJ GM Scott Howson watching practice with team president Mike Priest.
1 hour ago

This team cant do anything right, I give up.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:11 PM
CBJCountryClub

Thankfully the right decision has been made by the organization and Arneil stays.

People here need to wake up and realize it is not the coach, not the management, nor the players who are at fault here. It is the so-called fans of this franchise who are to blame for this debaucle.

Umberger even said as much recently - all this talk of firing people creates distraction for the club. Couple that with a grueling schedule, and a ridiculous slew of injuries and an unjust suspension - any team would be 2-11 right now. Yet all you people want to do is fire everybody!!! Don't you get it, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!

If you still don't believe me, think of it this way- in 11 years we have had several coaches, many players, a few captains, and 2 GM's. And the same results. What is the other constant here? THE SAME SO-CALLED FANS!!!!!

You want to see a winner? Sick of this losing yet? I sure am.

Well, then here's what you need to do:
Buy your tickets.
Go to the games.
Cheer loudly!
and otherwise ****!!!!! Quit your complaining, IT'S NOT HELPING!!!!

#calltoarms

#Iwillcarrytheflag

#hardcorehockey

#wefightwemarch

GO JACKETS!!!!

Old
11-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCountryClub View Post
Thankfully the right decision has been made by the organization and Arneil stays.

People here need to wake up and realize it is not the coach, not the management, nor the players who are at fault here. It is the so-called fans of this franchise who are to blame for this debaucle.

Umberger even said as much recently - all this talk of firing people creates distraction for the club. Couple that with a grueling schedule, and a ridiculous slew of injuries and an unjust suspension - any team would be 2-11 right now. Yet all you people want to do is fire everybody!!! Don't you get it, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!

If you still don't believe me, think of it this way- in 11 years we have had several coaches, many players, a few captains, and 2 GM's. And the same results. What is the other constant here? THE SAME SO-CALLED FANS!!!!!

Buy your tickets.
Go to the games.
Cheer loudly!

#calltoarms

#Iwillcarrytheflag

#hardcorehockey

#wefightwemarch

GO JACKETS!!!!
This is the second dumbest post ever, next to only the media post. What do the fans in Columbus have to do with the fact this team has zero road wins? Are we supposed to fill up Philly's building? What do the fans have to do with all the road losses since 09? You can't be that dumb can you?

Old
11-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Fight Strap

Quote:

Buy your tickets.
Go to the games.
Cheer loudly!

#calltoarms

#Iwillcarrytheflag

#hardcorehockey

#wefightwemarch

GO JACKETS!!!!
Look, I applaud your Pepsi Power Patrol cheerleader act, but to blame the fans for a team that has underperformed for 10 of their 11 year existence is just preposterous.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:24 PM
CBJCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
This is the second dumbest post ever, next to only the media post. What do the fans in Columbus have to do with the fact this team has zero road wins? Are we supposed to fill up Philly's building? What do the fans have to do with all the road losses since 09? You can't be that dumb can you?
The so-called fans create way too much pressure on the players, management, and coaching staff. The team is literally sinking in fear that people are going to get fired and as such they cannot be expected to perform, especially given the injuries and the schedule.

If you don't believe me, look back at the recent quote by Umberger, he basically said as much.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:26 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
And if you remove him, what do you have left?
You have a chance to start fresh in the lockerroom. You aren't going to be able to move everyone in there... From what I've seen, Moving Nash may be the only trade that is sufficient to "Shake the room"

And Pete, believe it or not, I would praise Nash for finally doing whats best of this organization (in my opinion) if he asks for a trade, as long as there's no malice towards the organization and the fanbase in the request for one. And based on what we know about Nash, if there is malice or anger at the fans and the team, he will not make it known publically.

I'm not a guy that believes Nash DESERVES a chance to win, he signed his name, and he needs to stick to his word, that said, I think his presence is more a hinderance in the grand scheme of trying to build a culture and build a winner.

If everyone is so ready to blow this up, lets not overlook lockerroom leadership, which has been a problem really, since Foote was traded....

Old
11-06-2011, 12:28 PM
CBJCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsome Clitsome View Post
Look, I applaud your Pepsi Power Patrol cheerleader act, but to blame the fans for a team that has underperformed for 10 of their 11 year existence is just preposterous.
I think the management is too concerned about ticket sales to callout the fans, hence I feel the need to do so. It must be done if this team is ever to get out of this tailspin.

I think all the empty seats in Nationwide weigh heavy on the players psyche's too.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Fight Strap

Quote:
The so-called fans create way too much pressure on the players, management, and coaching staff. The team is literally sinking in fear that people are going to get fired and as such they cannot be expected to perform, especially given the injuries and the schedule.

If you don't believe me, look back at the recent quote by Umberger, he basically said as much.
If this fan base is creating too much pressure here, then maybe the team should move to a Canadian city. Let the millionaire athletes really see what pressure is.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:

Or maybe if they performed out of the gate you would not have to be trolling right now. Dont blame the product on the ice, lets blame the people who support it. You think Columbus is hardcore? Go watch a game in Philly.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:29 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:

I don't think 1 playoff win in 12 years is too much to ask, especially in a league where half that time, you've operated under a salary cap system and each year your team has seemingly spent more and more....

We have no expectations as fans beyond what this team has put on itself in the past!

Old
11-06-2011, 12:32 PM
CaliBuck
Mission: Playoffs

Quote:

Buy your tickets.
Go to the games.
Cheer loudly!

#calltoarms

#Iwillcarrytheflag

#hardcorehockey

#wefightwemarch

GO JACKETS!!!!
Take your computer and hurl it out the window.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:33 PM
CBJCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Or maybe if they performed out of the gate you would not have to be trolling right now. Dont blame the product on the ice, lets blame the people who support it. You think Columbus is hardcore? Go watch a game in Philly.
I'll tell you what is different in Columbus vs. other cities like Philly
And Canadadian cities: empty seats. I think the players can handle criticism as long as their barn is full and they know the fans have their back. In Columbus, everyone criticizes and the stands are empty (if they are filled, it is with opposing team's fans).

Look at Mason vs TML- he was ridiculed and humiliated. Nd again, if you don't believe me, ask Umberger he'll tell you

Old
11-06-2011, 12:37 PM
macserv

Send a message via AIM to macserv
Quote:
Then neither of you have any understanding of the way professional sports works. It is an entertainment industry, nothing more. You want more people to go see a show, you make it a better show. If a movie sucked, and the critics panned it, and people stopped going to see it, would you blame the critics and movie-goers? Perhaps you would. You'd be wrong.

Fans are fans, especially casual ones, and they have no reason to act any differently right now. Hell, in my experience, Columbus fans are far more tolerant of the low points than those of any club I've followed. You can not ask them to change; you can only encourage them to do so by making your show more attractive, either in price or in content.

Perhaps if Umberger wants people to lay off, then he should score more. "Be the change you wish to see in the world."

Old
11-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Fight Strap

Quote:
And Canadadian cities: empty seats. I think the players can handle criticism as long as their barn is full and they know the fans have their back. In Columbus, everyone criticizes and the stands are empty (if they are filled, it is with opposing team's fans).

Look at Mason vs TML- he was ridiculed and humiliated. Nd again, if you don't believe me, ask Umberger he'll tell you

Old
11-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:

i don't mean to troll here but i'm pretty sure Jacket fans are better than Philly fans. Philly fans are embarrassing.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:45 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Here is his post career bio:

Upon his retirement from playing in 1999, Hextall immediately joined the Philadelphia Flyers' set-up as a Professional Scout. He was promoted to Director of Professional Player Personnel three years later, and was considered by the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame to be a key factor in the success experienced by the Flyers during the early 2000s, when they won the Atlantic Division three times, and reached the Eastern Conference Finals on two occasions. In June 2006, Hextall moved to the Los Angeles Kings to take on the role of Vice President and Assistant General Manager. In addition, Hextall also serves as the General Manager of the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL, the Kings’ primary affiliate.

He has a winning pedigree as a player, a scout and a front office employee. He's a firey leader who has high standards and doesn't accept excuses or a "woe is us" attitude. His is Mr. Passion.

I don't honestly know if he is the best guy for the job, or if he would even take it. Certainly Dave Nonis has experience as a GM and might be interested. I am sure there are others as well.
I wish I had the time to check him out today but in the absence of that, I'll take your word for it. I had Robert Kraft in mind when I was describing what I want: a fan who loves the game and the team. At this point, one of the major personality traits I would look for in Hextall is the Savior Complex. On top of his pedigree, he better have a deep desire to rescue people and the stomach to take it on. It ain't pretty, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
You have a chance to start fresh in the lockerroom. You aren't going to be able to move everyone in there... From what I've seen, Moving Nash may be the only trade that is sufficient to "Shake the room"

And Pete, believe it or not, I would praise Nash for finally doing whats best of this organization (in my opinion) if he asks for a trade, as long as there's no malice towards the organization and the fanbase in the request for one. And based on what we know about Nash, if there is malice or anger at the fans and the team, he will not make it known publically.

I'm not a guy that believes Nash DESERVES a chance to win, he signed his name, and he needs to stick to his word, that said, I think his presence is more a hinderance in the grand scheme of trying to build a culture and build a winner.

If everyone is so ready to blow this up, lets not overlook lockerroom leadership, which has been a problem really, since Foote was traded....
Two thoughts:

*Nash is not the only trade that would shake up the locker room but he is a player that would draw others here.

*Speaking of malice...What is up with the negative comments from Jake?

Old
11-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 272
CBJCountryClub, did you go to the game in Philly last night? If not, I'd bet it really hurt Umberger's feelings. You let him down, and that directly led to the poor performance of the team.

And what about Vermette? Know why he has no goals so far? Because you haven't sent him any flowers on game day. He sits by his locker waiting for them, but they never arrive. DIRECT CORRELATION.

BTW, you are my favorite poster.

Old
11-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow

This thread absolutely sucked. Please keep it at least somewhat on topic in the next version (which somebody else can create)