HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Carle Appreciation Thread

Old
10-27-2011, 09:42 PM
mirimon

vCash: 500
Carle had another really rough game tonight. I don't get why he was paired with Gustafsson as much as he was though, it kind of reminded me of the Carle-Syvret pairing from the playoffs. I'd prefer Coburn-Gustafsson I think.

Gustafsson didn't have the best of games (of course, with the way it was played...), but I hope they continue playing him and don't somehow decide to put Walker back in for him. Walker for Lilja I might live with.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:51 AM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Carle had another really rough game tonight....
VanSciver would remind you (just like he said the night before):

"Carle is a very good player game in and game out. He on occasion, like any other player, has a bad game like last night"

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:25 AM
Gert B Frobe

I would appreciate Matt Carle much more on another team.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:01 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
I wonder what his trade value would be. 2nd rounder?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 08:13 PM
DenverBoone

Goal and +6 so far. I'm sure the haters will come off with some halfcocked reason to write him off because he gave up a turnover at some point. Go ahead, please proceed.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Goal and +6 so far. I'm sure the haters will come off with some halfcocked reason to write him off because he gave up a turnover at some point. Go ahead, please proceed.
Uh, it's not hard to be +6 when your team is putting up 8 goals against a crappy team while turning in a shutout.

Let's not forget his horrific turnover. If anybody on CBJ could do offense, that easily could have been a goal.

11-05-2011, 08:16 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Gustafsson has an assist and is +5....

But anyway, he currently has 15 turnovers before this game. We shall see how many he has this game.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
In an 9-2 game, Carle still managed 3 turn-overs

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:19 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
I swear +/- is the most overrated stat in the world.

It was a nice game by Carle tonight for the most part, but he still had 3 turnovers, and he really only contributed to one goal (the one he scored, which was really really nice).

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
Gotta love how the "Matt Carle turnover thread" is just two threads dwon from the "Matt Carle appreciation thread".

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:37 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post

Please.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:07 AM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post

Please.
You say that, but who are you going to replace him with at that Salary next season? The guy had 39 points last year, a beautiful goal last night. Does he have weaknesses in the turnover area, yes! But what defenseman doesn't have weaknesses?

Old
11-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Jester

Quote:
You say that, but who are you going to replace him with at that Salary next season? The guy had 39 points last year, a beautiful goal last night. Does he have weaknesses in the turnover area, yes! But what defenseman doesn't have weaknesses?
So, to paraphrase, "yes, he's a **** defensive defenseman, but no one is perfect!"

If Matt Carle could actually effectively manage a PP, I could understand the defense of him... but he can't. He's got some offensive chops, but he's terribly unreliable defensively, and easily exposed whenever forwards get physical with him. He's overpaid right now, and someone is likely to overpay him even more and come to regret it rather quickly (as seems to be the norm with D of Carle's ilk).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:22 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
So, to paraphrase, "yes, he's a **** defensive defenseman, but no one is perfect!"

If Matt Carle could actually effectively manage a PP, I could understand the defense of him... but he can't. He's got some offensive chops, but he's terribly unreliable defensively, and easily exposed whenever forwards get physical with him. He's overpaid right now, and someone is likely to overpay him even more and come to regret it rather quickly (as seems to be the norm with D of Carle's ilk).
By that logic everyone is overpaid, just like you thought Giroux was when he got his raise. For what Carle is making, he produced 30 ppy, great passer,in position defensively most the time. And gives away turnovers. Guess what, so do kimmo Coburn and Pronger.

Old
11-06-2011, 01:30 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Basically...Matt Carle, great passer, good team guy, defense is spotty sometimes, it is what it is. He's an offensive defensemen, the turnovers will come, he touches the puck a lot, its inevitable. He gets a lot of crap on these boards for no reason, yeah he turns the puck over a lot but he also makes some great passes that you don't even realize.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Stop calling him an offensive defenseman. Seriously, it's getting on my nerves.

The guy can't run a powerplay, and doesn't have anything resembling a decent shot from the point. He's a guy that can pass and can defend like a bottom pairing defenseman.

Old
11-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Flyerfan4life

who signs a defensemen for his offensive ability ?

first and foremost he needs to be solid defensively anything offensive should be bonus

at this point Carle is more liability then anything , id let him and Lilja go for a bag of old pucks and consider it a great trade

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 03:14 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Stop calling him an offensive defenseman. Seriously, it's getting on my nerves.

The guy can't run a powerplay, and doesn't have anything resembling a decent shot from the point. He's a guy that can pass and can defend like a bottom pairing defenseman.
The extreme of participation is an offensive defencemen, who gets aggressively involved in the team's offence. To accomplish this, the offensive defence player often pinches in to keep the play from going offside and moves towards the halfboards and high-slot area for scoring opportunities. This makes it difficult for the opposing team to protect their net from being scored upon if the team can maintain control of the puck. However, this can lead to more odd man rushes and breakaway opportunities for the opposing team if the defender does not succeed. Bobby Orr's end-to-end rushing allowed him to defend effectively as well as attack. By contrast, Paul Coffey enjoyed a high offensive production but his defensive play is considered mediocre.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 04:18 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:

I am not concerned about the pts he can put up.... how many were goals? How many were assists? Most D-men - be it Offensive or not will get assists put in the right situation. Gus will put up more in the future than Carle - b/c he sees the ice better and CAN effectively run a PP given the chance, unlike Carle....
as per already mentioned below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

--->If Matt Carle could actually effectively manage a PP, I could understand the defense of him... but he can't. <----

I agree with Jester

Plus, I'd much rather have another SHUT DOWN D than Carle - altho I've never been a fan of Carle - I understand he can put up points, good for him, but I certainly don't trust him to take on the DEFENSE part of his game/position every night - which is crazy since he is, afterall, a Defense man.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
By that logic everyone is overpaid, just like you thought Giroux was when he got his raise. For what Carle is making, he produced 30 ppy, great passer,in position defensively most the time. And gives away turnovers. Guess what, so do kimmo Coburn and Pronger.
I liked Giroux's contract when he signed it. I disliked JVRs, and still do. So, congrats on making up false statements to make yourself sound less foolish in your pathological fanboyism for Carle.

Carle has 16 turnovers right now... Timonen has 8. Coburn has 9, and you're not going to see a ton of love from me on Coburn's decision making at times... so not sure why you bring him up.

Last year Carle had 59 turnovers (on pace to blow that away this year) to Timonen's 39. Timonen also had 43 takeaways to Carle's 33. The only guy Carle was better than last year on that front was O'Donnell...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Bort Sampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Basically...Matt Carle, great passer, good team guy, defense is spotty sometimes, it is what it is. He's an offensive defensemen, the turnovers will come, he touches the puck a lot, its inevitable. He gets a lot of crap on these boards for no reason, yeah he turns the puck over a lot but he also makes some great passes that you don't even realize.
I'm pretty sure this is why Matt Carle is still a Flyer.

He's a turnover machine, benefits from playing with players that have great offensive skills, and most of the current Flyers' forwards could play better on the blue line than Carle can.

He's an above average skater(as are most defensemen) and he likes to pass the puck a lot. That's Matt Carle.

Jester is also spot on.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:14 AM
vizoroo

Matt Carle is a good hockey player. He is not Pronger or Timmonen.

Carle is trusted to be on the ice 20+ minutes a game. He plays solidly most of the time. When he's on the ice and you don't hear his name he's doing the right things. When you hear his name and it's an error, it's a lot easier to remember than the times when he is doing his job.

vizoroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizoroo View Post
Matt Carle is a good hockey player. He is not Pronger or Timmonen.

Carle is trusted to be on the ice 20+ minutes a game. He plays solidly most of the time. When he's on the ice and you don't hear his name he's doing the right things. When you hear his name and it's an error, it's a lot easier to remember than the times when he is doing his job.
It's incredible that Carle is actually trusted to be on the ice for that long every game. He's a glorified Randy Jones. The guy gives up 2-3 crucial turnovers every single game. I'm amazed the other teams in the league don't score more goals directly from him.

Old
11-08-2011, 12:55 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I sure hope Homer trades him, but for another defenseman. Can't just move him for a DP

any other struggling potential UFA top 4 defenseman out there that need a change of scenery?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:19 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

That is one of the biggest aggravations with Carle apart from the turnovers...his pathetic lack of PP prowess. I mean I would rather have somebody like a Corey Foster at the point than Carle..he at least had a shot and got it through more times than not even if he played like 25 games total for the Flyers...

Anyway..I can stomach Carle in the regular season....he has his streaky stretches of good play especially in the beginning of the year as always but come playoff time when the going gets tougher dude is like a domestic terrorist with the puck....

I think he will get moved before too long......

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote