HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#11 | Washington Capitals vs. New York Islanders | Nov 5 | W 5-3

Old
11-06-2011, 09:36 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Here are my thoughts and im sure ill get eaten alive, despite the win:

The islanders are not that good. 3 terrible goals by Vokoun were the breaks the isles needed to get a much needed win.

Isles just dont have the talent. You have JT and thats about it. Everybody else works hard but cant seem to find that finishing touch.

DP is a shaky goalie whose glove hand is non existant.

The effort should be there monday, but thomas or rask will not be giving away free goals.

Take the win and hope it builds some confidence, but a repeat performance monday in terms of being unable to simply clear a puck out of your own zone????? And you get killed.
Vokoun may have been a little "off" but the high powered Caps had their chances to finish off the Isles in the 2nd and didn't so putting all on Vokoun is not fair.

I am disappointed for any fan who may think that we have JT and that's about it.

Matt Moulson and Michael Grabner are highly capable players as is Frans Neilsen, Mark Streit, Travis Hamonic and Andy MacDonald. Matt Martin is a solid roll player as is Kyle Okposo. (Yes, I think KO is a roll player at this time). To suggest this is a one man team is not fair. He might be the centerpiece, but there are players on the Isles that are very good NHL players.

No question there is much to be done. I don't like DiPietro's overplaying the puck or hot-dogging it out there. And there are times where clearing the zone has been an issue, but the high-powered caps also had a great deal of trouble clearing the zone last night and they are a cup contending team.

I don't think it matters if you have a 9-1 team of a 5-5 team or a 1-9 team if you struggle on any given night clearing the zone, yes, you will have problems.

But dismissing the team's ability to get the win, when lets face it *most of us felt would have been near impossible after the first period is a plus.

Not letting the skid hit 7 games is a plus.

Getting contributions from all 4 lines for a change is a plus.

Things are not great but would you rather be an Isles fan right now a team struggling to climb out of the basement and building through the draft with some skill and a rich history, or would rather be the Blue Jackets a team with only a history of futility, and off to a 2-11-1 start?

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:37 AM
kpap57

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
In general my rule of thumb is I expect the goalie to make the first save 95% of the time, anything after that is the fault of the defense. To many of DP's goal let in this year were on first shot. While none of the goals he let in tonig
02-16-2011, 05:32 PM
SLAPSHOT723
I'm Really Fast

Parise won't be an Islander as much as I'd love for that to happen. We need one more top-4 defenseman and a solid goaltender to be a playoff team next year.
ht were terrible it would have been nice if he could have found a way to make that first save on one of those(I'll give him a free pass on the AO goal but the other 2 were somewhat stopable)
The first goal he let in he was out of postion slightly and wasn't square to the shooter. I was more pissed about the first one than the second.

kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpap57 View Post
The first goal he let in he was out of postion slightly and wasn't square to the shooter. I was more pissed about the first one than the second.
He was out at the top of the crease! Where do you want him to be? If that puck didn't deflect up it hits him square around his stomach.

Last edited by Renbarg: 11-06-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:52 AM
ferrisUML

Liked the changes last night..seemed to finally spark this team. Liking Grabner and JT together. They were generating had some sustained pressure. I think Grabner's speed works well with JT since they can't cheat to JT or risk getting burned by Grabner. They did lack some chemistry, but it's only been one game and they still looked better than Moulson-JT-PAP has for some time now. Still would lke to see Martin replace Moulson for a while as I think Martin seems more willing to pay the price infront like Moulson used to.

Bailey was noticeable too. Some good, some bad. Had some bad passes in the defensive zone when under pressure. Still looks to dump the puck off too soon. Kinda see the same with Okposo though. He's no where near as tough in the corners as he used to be. Doesn't take the body anymore and seems to be developing into more of a finesse player. Don't really want to see that, as its not going to work out for him. He's the kinda player that needs to keep his game simple and work the puck to get his opportunities. Wish to god he'd forget those stupid toe-drag moves that he always does. Everyone knows its coming and he fails down afterwards. He needs to shoot the puck and drive to the rebound instead.

Love the Staios signing and always did through our little skid. He plays simple and within his means. Very effective. Still can contribute offensively, but his game is in the D zone.

That Ovy goal was 100% Ricky though. If Eaton did screen him, it was slight. Looked like Rick overcommited to the slide and the puck when through his legs rather than using just his right pad to push the rebound into the corner. He HAS to make that save at that point in the game and that point on the skid. Something like that can ruin an already fragile team. If he gets beat on the rebound, thats another thing, but he had to make that first save.

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Pnut

Quote:
The islanders are not that good. 3 terrible goals by Vokoun were the breaks the isles needed to get a much needed win.
He does that with all teams. Thats the book on him. Do you really think that Detroit's fans care when they win 5-2 when Vokoun does that? A win is a win, and lets face it Detroit is is the team we are trying to emulate on the ice, maybe we should take a que from their fans as a fan base and not bemoan a win because all the goals were skill and no luck.

We are 4-5-2 and if that bounce off the glass that lead to the bad penalty call we could have won.
We could be 5-5-1, which is great considering the lack of scoring. But it is still early in the season, things could be more like this (game) for the rest of the season. Positive outlook people.

Quote:
Take the win and hope it builds some confidence, but a repeat performance Monday in terms of being unable to simply clear a puck out of your own zone????? And you get killed.
We were supposed to get killed tonight. Ill say it once again I am glad this isn't the FPNHL (Fantasy Paper National Hockey League)

We made the Caps 9-3. One of the other two teams are the first place Oil. Be proud, but this is one game, they better come to play the next game people.....I have faith they will.

Last edited by Pnut: 11-06-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:44 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
Liked the changes last night..seemed to finally spark this team. Liking Grabner and JT together. They were generating had some sustained pressure. I think Grabner's speed works well with JT since they can't cheat to JT or risk getting burned by Grabner. They did lack some chemistry, but it's only been one game and they still looked better than Moulson-JT-PAP has for some time now. Still would lke to see Martin replace Moulson for a while as I think Martin seems more willing to pay the price infront like Moulson used to.

Bailey was noticeable too. Some good, some bad. Had some bad passes in the defensive zone when under pressure. Still looks to dump the puck off too soon. Kinda see the same with Okposo though. He's no where near as tough in the corners as he used to be. Doesn't take the body anymore and seems to be developing into more of a finesse player. Don't really want to see that, as its not going to work out for him. He's the kinda player that needs to keep his game simple and work the puck to get his opportunities. Wish to god he'd forget those stupid toe-drag moves that he always does. Everyone knows its coming and he fails down afterwards. He needs to shoot the puck and drive to the rebound instead.

Love the Staios signing and always did through our little skid. He plays simple and within his means. Very effective. Still can contribute offensively, but his game is in the D zone.

That Ovy goal was 100% Ricky though. If Eaton did screen him, it was slight. Looked like Rick overcommited to the slide and the puck when through his legs rather than using just his right pad to push the rebound into the corner. He HAS to make that save at that point in the game and that point on the skid. Something like that can ruin an already fragile team. If he gets beat on the rebound, thats another thing, but he had to make that first save.
If we're gonna start him as our #1, he should get excoriated. If he's what he should be as our #3, he should be lauded for the game.

I'm on the fence. Good game, I was happy with DP's play, just don't make him our #1 or #2 when both guys are playing better than him. Let him enjoy the twilight of his NHL career.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 03:57 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
Vokoun may have been a little "off" but the high powered Caps had their chances to finish off the Isles in the 2nd — and didn't — so putting all on Vokoun is not fair.
He was more than a little off. You are downplaying the goals he let in to try and augment the win the Isles pretty much stole. Those goals were awful. Every goaltender has a few bad games, some more than others. He will probably file this one under "Partied too much last night, burp," and move on.

Quote:
Getting contributions from all 4 lines for a change is a plus.
Amen to that.

Quote:
Things are not great — but would you rather be an Isles fan right now — a team struggling to climb out of the basement and building through the draft with some skill and a rich history, or would rather be the Blue Jackets — a team with only a history of futility, and off to a 2-11-1 start?
I'd rather be a team with an owner and GM honestly building to a good club, not an owner who puts the clamps on any spending above the cap floor until he gets his arena or sells in 2015 or later. And comparing the club to the worst team in hockey for many years running ignores the majority of other clubs that are far superior.

In other words, you have your thinking backwards if you find comfort in looking at the losers and saying, "Hey, we aren't quite that bad," when we should be looking at the winners and saying, "What could we do to become one of them?"

They need to add just a few key pieces and they'd be far more competitive. Too bad those pieces cost actual money.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 11-06-2011 at 04:18 PM.
A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 04:14 PM
startainfection

does anyone remember the interference penalty that led to the caps 3rd goal? does any one know how to explain that call?

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 05:35 PM
kpap57

computer buggin

Last edited by kpap57: 11-06-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old
11-06-2011, 09:44 PM
kpap57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
He was out at the top of the crease! Where do you want him to be? If that puck didn't deflect up it hits him square around his stomach.
double post

Old
11-06-2011, 09:48 PM
kpap57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Being at the top of the crease was fine, but he was not completely square with the shooter on that goal. Slightly out of position. Take another look at the replay if you can.

Not a DP hater, never been. Just an objective observation and my humble opinion.

Edit: Did not see a deflection on that shot. Maybe im missing something

Old
11-07-2011, 02:04 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpap57 View Post
Being at the top of the crease was fine, but he was not completely square with the shooter on that goal. Slightly out of position. Take another look at the replay if you can.

Not a DP hater, never been. Just an objective observation and my humble opinion.

Edit: Did not see a deflection on that shot. Maybe im missing something
OK, maybe not a deflection. The sun was in his eyes?

Someone help poor Rick

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:47 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
does anyone remember the interference penalty that led to the caps 3rd goal? does any one know how to explain that call?

you mean when Ovechkin was about to burn Staios so Staios basically bear-hugged him 5 feet away from the puck?

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote