HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eklund Rumours Thread: Enter at your own risk v2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2011, 05:21 AM
PunkinDrublic*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Penner? well he is big and we have asked to be bigger.
He scores about what AK does.
Sure if we can dump Gomez for Penner it's great but I might ask would we do A.Kostitsyn for Penner?

We know Andrei won't be a hab next year anyway.
How do WE know Andre won't be here next year ?

Old
11-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
How do WE know Andre won't be here next year ?
Everyone has this pre-conceived notion that since Andrei is UFA at the end of this year, he's going to test the market and the Habs have virtually no shot at keeping him.

Old
11-06-2011, 09:03 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Everyone has this pre-conceived notion that since Andrei is UFA at the end of this year, he's going to test the market and the Habs have virtually no shot at keeping him.
Well i would think we have as good of a chance if not better than most teams. I actually see him signing before July 1st.

Old
11-06-2011, 09:22 AM
blarneylad

Penner isn't the answer. I wouldn't have minded him as a plan B if the habs didn't get Cole.

But if anything habs need a big grinder/enforcer to play on the fourth line. Brown from the leafs, McCormick from the Sabres, or even Scott from Chicago.

Obviously Scott wouldn't play often, but it would be nice to have him as an option to plug into the lineup here and there. Against teams like the Bruins and Leafs.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Not so much pre-conceived notions, more like "connecting the dots".

- egnimatic eastern European winger with stereotypical reluctance to emphasize defensive responsibilities
- old school coach who is a stickler for defensive commitment from fwds
- high draft pick yet to realize full potential and lagging well behind several players from draft class in level of play, level of recognition & most importantly financial remuneration
- cap spending team with 22M$ locked up in 4 fwds, & with 2 cornerstone players due for massive RFA raises & with 4-5 defensive spots to fill
- public comments indicating level of discord btw player/coach
- team notorious for delaying contract talks until last minute

Factor all those issues, plus what is on pace to be a career year, and you have a pretty strong case for why Kost will quite likely want to test the market & why mtl is unlikely to match the 4-5M$ another team is bound to offer him as UFA

Coaching and/or management change would strike me as the most feasible situation in Which Kost would re-sign...
Short of that (or PG unloading 1-2 overpaid fwds) I don't really see how the team managed to get him signed.

Personally I want him back, & still think he's got ~30goal/~70pt potential, which I'd bet he reaches very soon after leaving Mtl... Sadly.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Andy

Penner is not a good hockey player. Let me rephrase that, his lazyness makes him a bad hockey player. No compete level.

I still can't believe people wanted to replace Andrei with him last year. Andrei is by far the superior player.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:34 AM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

- egnimatic eastern European winger with stereotypical reluctance to emphasize defensive responsibilities
- high draft pick yet to realize full potential and lagging well behind several players from draft class in level of play, level of recognition & most importantly financial remuneration
- cap spending team with 22M$ locked up in 4 fwds, & with 2 cornerstone players due for massive RFA raises & with 4-5 defensive spots to fill

Factor all those issues, plus what is on pace to be a career year, and you have a pretty strong case for why Kost will quite likely want to test the market & why mtl is unlikely to match the 4-5M$ another team is bound to offer him as UFA

Coaching and/or management change would strike me as the most feasible situation in Which Kost would re-sign...
Short of that (or PG unloading 1-2 overpaid fwds) I don't really see how the team managed to get him signed.

Personally I want him back, & still think he's got ~30goal/~70pt potential, which I'd bet he reaches very soon after leaving Mtl... Sadly.

Good post and I agree with the coaching part.. I can't see AK wanting to stay a Hab if JM is the coach here next season but I hope the Habs find a way to keep him.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:45 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

He's got 1 assist this year. 2 goals and 5 assists in his 30 games with LA, but if it's a swap for gomez i'd take a chance on him.

Old
11-06-2011, 03:05 PM
m00ks

Quote:

Same old song when Markov needed to get resigned (twice) or more recently when Pleks needed to be resigned. We had no problem keeping both and both are better players than Andrei and would have commanded more money in open market.

Needless panic and negativity.

Old
11-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Maxpac

Rumors were that LA was looking for a 2nd line center in order to have a 1st line of Kopitar-Richards-Wlliams. I still doubt though that Gomez is what they are after..

Maybe Lombardi and Gauthier would bite if the trade was something like Gonez + 1st round pick for Penner, Clifford and a 3rd/4th round pick.

Old
11-06-2011, 04:35 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Rumors were that LA was looking for a 2nd line center in order to have a 1st line of Kopitar-Richards-Wlliams. I still doubt though that Gomez is what they are after..

Maybe Lombardi and Gauthier would bite if the trade was something like Gonez + 1st round pick for Penner, Clifford and a 3rd/4th round pick.
Why give the first ? I prefer keeping the pick and sending Gomez to Hamilton, it's not like Geoff Molson is nearly bankrupted wuith this team...

Old
11-06-2011, 04:53 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:

no thank you Penner sucks,hes overpaid and we wont have a problem trading Gomez next year Book it

Old
11-06-2011, 05:44 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Penner is not a good hockey player. Let me rephrase that, his lazyness makes him a bad hockey player. No compete level.

I still can't believe people wanted to replace Andrei with him last year. Andrei is by far the superior player.
Exactly, Penner would become the whipping boy quick enough..

Old
11-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

In the days of vaudeville ther was a comedian named Joe Penner. His trademark line was, "Wanna buy a duck?" When the NHL Penner became a free agent the Ducks didn't wanna buy a Penner, so the Kings were stuck with a lame duck. (I hope my memory didn't fail me about LA as the team that signed him).

Old
11-06-2011, 06:32 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
In the days of vaudeville ther was a comedian named Joe Penner. His trademark line was, "Wanna buy a duck?" When the NHL Penner became a free agent the Ducks didn't wanna buy a Penner, so the Kings were stuck with a lame duck. (I hope my memory didn't fail me about LA as the team that signed him).
Penner was traded from edmonton to LA, I believe. I also believe he got from anaheim to edmonton by way of offer sheet.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
11-06-2011, 06:33 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Classic Teufelsdreck post. There aren't many poster on HF who can write knowledgeably about vaudeville, let alone weave it into a discussion. The Venn diagram has a very small intersection between vaudeville and hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Penner was traded from edmonton to LA, I believe. I also believe he got from anaheim to edmonton by way of offer sheet.
It was an offer sheet, and I recall Burke being critical about it.

Old
11-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Pandemic

Penner would get absolutely demolished in a hockey city like Montreal. Lets not go there.

Old
11-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
Penner would get absolutely demolished in a hockey city like Montreal. Lets not go there.
Or maybe the market and Martin's system would do him some good. A 3rd line of Penner-Eller-Kostitsyn wouldn't look so bad for half a season, no?

Old
11-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Or maybe the market and Martin's system would do him some good. A 3rd line of Penner-Eller-Kostitsyn wouldn't look so bad for half a season, no?
Any team interested would probably be buying low because his value has to have dropped since the trade. 7 pts in 30 regular season games isn't what LA was expecting.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habshound247 View Post
Penner is too enigmatic. IF LA is shopping him after just trading for him at last season's trade deadline, it speaks volumes on him as a player. I can understand when you are losing every night in Edmonton last year that it wasn't a lot of fun, but LA was pretty good last year and if he has burnt his bridge there already...no thanks.
Keep Penner away from our Habs, unless we can get him for FREE (or close to it!). He's a taller/bigger Latendresse and we don't need that.
Maybe it;s not enough but everytime I watched Penner play I saw a lot of laziness (no intensity whatsoever from what I saw).

Somehow adding another Pacioretty or a cheaper Erik Cole would be good, but not Penner. And anyways we have a solid top 9 right now,imo (similar to Buffalo's top 9). Last summer I would have picked up a Dominic Moore type or an Asham type of player since they were UFAs.

Getting some help for Moen would be great (gritty 4th liner).
Then again...Ryan White should be back in December, no? (can't wait).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 11-06-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old
11-07-2011, 01:22 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Same old song when Markov needed to get resigned (twice) or more recently when Pleks needed to be resigned. We had no problem keeping both and both are better players than Andrei and would have commanded more money in open market.

Needless panic and negativity.
who is panicking? how about we ease up on the melodrama...

and for your markov/pleks, I'll raise you a Koivu/Komisarek.

besides, neither Markov nor Pleks (or Koivu/Komisarek for that matter) had anything resembling the discord with the coach that Kost apparently has had/has.

Markov, Pleks, Koivu and Komisarek all expressed clear desires to remain with the team, and from all indications until the actually signings (or lack thereof), the team wanted them back.

Kost situation isn't even remotely similar.

Old
11-07-2011, 01:50 PM
BeerHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Keep Penner away from our Habs, unless we can get him for FREE (or close to it!). He's a taller/bigger Latendresse and we don't need that.
Maybe it;s not enough but everytime I watched Penner play I saw a lot of laziness (no intensity whatsoever from what I saw).

Somehow adding another Pacioretty or a cheaper Erik Cole would be good, but not Penner. And anyways we have a solid top 9 right now,imo (similar to Buffalo's top 9). Last summer I would have picked up a Dominic Moore type or an Asham type of player since they were UFAs.

Getting some help for Moen would be great (gritty 4th liner).
Then again...Ryan White should be back in December, no? (can't wait).
oh you are talking of Latendresse who has 3g/4a for 7 Points he's +6 and he's 6th in scoring just because 5 players have 8 points on his club, the kind of player we do not need....yeah I see a big body who puts up points...

Old
11-07-2011, 01:59 PM
neofury*

LOL @ connecting the dots. Yeah the same dots people are using for Gorges, used for Markov, used for past UFA we re-signed /rolleyes.

Old
11-07-2011, 02:08 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
LOL @ connecting the dots. Yeah the same dots people are using for Gorges, used for Markov, used for past UFA we re-signed /rolleyes.
Did Gorges' or Markov's brother say they should get the hell out of Montreal?

I am sure Andrei will listen to his brother more than people on these boards when deciding where to play next year.

Old
11-07-2011, 02:29 PM
m00ks

Quote:
who is panicking? how about we ease up on the melodrama...

and for your markov/pleks, I'll raise you a Koivu/Komisarek.

besides, neither Markov nor Pleks (or Koivu/Komisarek for that matter) had anything resembling the discord with the coach that Kost apparently has had/has.

Markov, Pleks, Koivu and Komisarek all expressed clear desires to remain with the team, and from all indications until the actually signings (or lack thereof), the team wanted them back.

Kost situation isn't even remotely similar.
Koivu was never offered a contract.

Komisarek wanted to cash in. He did and we're better off without his contract. Same thing happened with Wiz. If Andrei wants his 5 million elsewhere, that's fine, I wish him good luck. He's main value to this team is that he's an affordable contributor, similarly to Gorges. Once these types of players become overpaid, specially with our already expensive forwards, your team is worst for it.

Whatever the extent of this "dischord" with the coach is all hearsay and if they did happen, from the looks of it, has already passed. Martin is using him against tough opposition and hes responding well with strong play. He's also found chemistry with a maturing talented center.

I don't see how you can't find similarities with the aforementioned players. Home grown talent, drafted and developed for a good number of years. All are comfortable in the city and have expressed their desire to stay. Like Pleks, AK was also given a chance to perform on a UFA year.

I'm pretty confident we can lock up AK at 4 million tops.

Closed Thread