HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Ryan McDonagh Mancrush thread

Old
10-21-2011, 10:30 PM
darko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
So how many points can McDonagh get this year?
I think he can get 30.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Pizza

If you want some fun and get an idea of what we're missing out on, go check out the "I believe in Gomez" thread on the Habs board.

I want to ask that you all please restrain yourselves and remember how we hate trolls on this board. It's a good read and brings back memories of Scott's time here.

Not missin ya bud!

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 01:57 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im with you. Wonderful that he scored the game winning goal, but defensively he had his worst game as a Ranger tonight. Its to be expected, hes a 2nd year player being asked to play a 1st pairing role...but Im not one to forget the previous 64:58 of that game.
Give the kid a break guys. Like you said, he is a sophmore playing 25+ minutes a game.

What everyone criticizing Mickey D fails to realize,.... is the 2 very unlikely points he gave us. He was a tiger in OT. Shoulda scored a minute earlier,... with that rush off a nice defensive play on Bowmeister. And like mentioned, had the smarts to go to the net with time running out. You don't see that enough from D-men.

But at the end of the day, the 2 points is really all that matters. His gamewinner was immensely huge. We haven't won in Calgary since '02! You could thank him for that. I don't know how anyone will remember the previous 64:58 of that game.

It's early in the season, but this west coast road trip is kinda critical in many ways. We don't do well out there, we need to show the west we can compete with them, and we need to get off to a good start, to the season. I don't think anyone would have pegged us to win 2 in 3 days in of all places Vancouver (winless since '06) against the Western Conference Champs and in Calgary where we haven't won since '02. And Mickey D was a huge part in both those wins. Lets give him a break and appreciate what he has accomplished, in such a short time, on a really tough road trip.

Last edited by ohbaby: 10-22-2011 at 02:26 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:33 PM
nafsregnar27

God I love this kid. He is so amazing especially during 4-on-4 situations. He was the best Ranger during OT vs the Ducks. Wish they gave him more PP time though.

Once again, thank you Montreal

nafsregnar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:50 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Joe Micheletti said it perfectly last night, simply put, "This kid is going to be a star."

He will be an incredible two-way defensemen. Not only has he continued to shut down top players (along with Girardi) night after night at the tender age of 21, but he's also had plenty of incredible offensive chances/plays.

That Callahan pass he made last night was an absolutely gorgeous play. Not only did he fight off Perry and Ryan charging behind the net, but he was able to maintain his composure and throw a beauty pass on the tape to Cally.

We would have one of the best defense groups in the league right now if Staal was healthy.

11-04-2011, 05:10 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

He's going to be on NHL Live this hour.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:32 PM
CallMeJerry

Any chance he gets more PP time? (Yes, I have him in my pool).

CallMeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:40 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
Any chance he gets more PP time? (Yes, I have him in my pool).
I'd like to see him on there, maybe swap him in and out with MDZ.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If the league was 4 v 4, he would be a star.

A lot of things would be different in that scenario, though.

He has the tools to be a top pairing guy. I think most people never stopped believing that who saw him at W.

11-06-2011, 08:26 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Larry Brooks spoke to Ryan McDonagh about his Montreal experience

Quote:
"They'd come to a few games to scout me during that season, but I didn't hear from them at all that summer about signing," McDonagh said of the Canadiens. "I was actually on my way to their summer camp and figured I'd find out what their thoughts were, but that's when I was traded, so I never got there and I never asked the question.

"It's not like I had played there and then was traded. The way I looked at it, the Rangers wanted me."

The Canadiens apparently expected McDonagh to become a dominant offensive player when they drafted him and, for whatever reason, were not satisfied with his development as a two-way defenseman with offensive skills that might have been dormant.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1cw2kTK36

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

LOL, those offensive skills are really dormant

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:22 AM
The Perfect Paradox

McDonagh is playing some absolutely incredible hockey right now. What's even more impressive is that he's only 21 and still has years to develop. I don't think it is out of the question that we might have a top pairing two-way defensemen on our hands.

Thanks Gainey!

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
One of the highlights of last night was heading down the stairs at the end of the game and hearing 4 Canadien fans raving about how good McDonough looked.

Hope he keeps it up...absolutely loving this kid

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:24 PM
ThirdEye

I love Habs fans trying to justify the loss of McDonagh by claiming that the only reason he's playing so many minutes is because our defense is terrible. Even with Staal out our defense is hardly terrible. Actually, I'd probably take our defense over theres as it is right now, and with Staal I'd take it 100 times out of 100.

Girardi has been impeccable this season. Sauer hasn't been a minus in any game yet (and is a +24 in his last 80 or so games) and MDZ has been a huge surprise. Eminger and Woywitka aren't exactly all-stars, but you can do much worse for a 5/6 pairing. And of course McDonagh's been solid

By no means is our defense world class right now, but it's not terrible. Not even close

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
One of the highlights of last night was heading down the stairs at the end of the game and hearing 4 Canadien fans raving about how good McDonough looked.

Hope he keeps it up...absolutely loving this kid

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:47 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I love Habs fans trying to justify the loss of McDonagh by claiming that the only reason he's playing so many minutes is because our defense is terrible. Even with Staal out our defense is hardly terrible. Actually, I'd probably take our defense over theres as it is right now, and with Staal I'd take it 100 times out of 100.

Girardi has been impeccable this season. Sauer hasn't been a minus in any game yet (and is a +24 in his last 80 or so games) and MDZ has been a huge surprise. Eminger and Woywitka aren't exactly all-stars, but you can do much worse for a 5/6 pairing. And of course McDonagh's been solid

By no means is our defense world class right now, but it's not terrible. Not even close

Rangers are one of the few teams that's given up less than 30 goals.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:48 PM
XperHFB

Not trolling. I have no beef with the rangers team BUT if Gomez was playing like a 60 pointer this deal would still have been in our favor...and also we needed him to attract more players like cammalari, gionta, spacek. So yeah Mcdonagh was the small price to pay to get all those guys.

I hope Mcdonagh becomes a really great player in the future but stop saying how bad this trade was for us because we are not really missing him...we have Subban and just to remind you at some point in 2003-2004 we got Kovalev from you for some random AHL prospect. It turned out that Kovalev gave us 3 really great season and one particulary with 35 goals and 84 points.

Again not trolling just trying to bring some perspective. Yes you got a really nice young player with a promising future but isn't a little too soon to celebrate yet? Just asking.

XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:56 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by XperHFB View Post
Not trolling. I have no beef with the rangers team BUT if Gomez was playing like a 60 pointer this deal would still have been in our favor...and also we needed him to attract more players like cammalari, gionta, spacek. So yeah Mcdonagh was the small price to pay to get all those guys.

I hope Mcdonagh becomes a really great player in the future but stop saying how bad this trade was for us because we are not really missing him...we have Subban and just to remind you at some point in 2003-2004 we got Kovalev from you for some random AHL prospect. It turned out that Kovalev gave us 3 really great season and one particulary with 35 goals and 84 points.

Again not trolling just trying to bring some perspective. Yes you got a really nice young player with a promising future but isn't a little too soon to celebrate yet? Just asking.
Not really.

Gainey gave up a studly defensive prospect for (in your scenario) an overpaid past his prime second line center.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:01 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Not really.

Gainey gave up a studly defensive prospect for (in your scenario) an overpaid past his prime second line center.
Pretty much. I'd want a lot more out of a guy making 7.3 mil a year for the next five years (when the deal was made) than 60 points.

And the Kovalev deal is a lot different than the Gomez deal. Kovalev was traded during a fire sale and he was a free agent as opposed to Gomez who was traded in the offseason and locked up for five more years.

Gomez was coming off a pretty poor year too making the trade look even worse at the time. If you told me it was Higgins for Gomez, it wouldn't be as bad but the Habs tossed in one of their top prospects. Just because you have depth at defense doesn't make it any better.

11-06-2011, 10:03 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:

Okay...so having Subban means that you don't "need" McDonagh? He's be #2 on your depth chart right now; hell, this season, he's been better than Subban has.

Your top 6 currently sports players such as Rafael Diaz and Jaro Spacek. Hal Gill will soon be gone to retirement. Markov is injured more often than not. Weber/Emelin are promising, as are Bealieu and Tinordi, but not at level of McDonagh.

I just don't buy the "we don't need him" argument. Every team could use a player like McD.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:07 PM
XperHFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Not really.

For the trade it self so far it goes in your advantage. But for us, it honestly helped us build our team then and after... I mean dude we did ECF the same year with the new players we acquired because we got Gomez in.

But lets say Mcdonagh happens to be a bust next year and the year after...the deal will suck for you guys too...well kind of.

XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:10 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
For the trade it self so far it goes in your advantage. But for us, it honestly helped us build our team then and after... I mean dude we did ECF the same year with the new players we acquired because we got Gomez in.

But lets say Mcdonagh happens to be a bust next year and the year after...the deal will suck for you guys too...well kind of.
McDonagh isn't busting, he's only gonna get better at this rate.

Fact is the Habs gave up a solid 2nd liner in Higgins and one of their top prospects in McDonagh for an overpaid 2nd line center and what could be a solid 3rd liner down the line in Pyatt. Taking the cap hits and everything into consideration, the trade was inexcusable then, inexcusable now, and inexcusable in the future.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:12 PM
dccuse

Quote:

Nope. Trading Gomez let us sign gaborik

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
Nope. Trading Gomez let us sign gaborik
Forget about all that crap. Just going by the trade, we still won. I don't think you can go by, "well getting X player let us to get Y player".

11-06-2011, 10:18 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:

McDonagh, how he has been playing this season, is more valuable then Gomez has been in the past 4 years.

I fail to see how you are not missing him. He'd be your #1 defenseman at this point, and even if he wasn't, since when is another good defenseman bad?

It was, is now, and will always be one of the most lopsided trades since the lockout. There is absolutely no defending it from a Montreal standpoint.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote