HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salary Cap Options Under the New Deal Examined

Old
11-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpz View Post
Say we did bring in Parise this offseason. Aren't McD, Sauer, Anisimov and Stepan all do to re-up on their contracts the season after? It would be pretty tough to get them all signed at what they're worth with only an extra 2mill or so lying around unless the cap goes up again a good amount.

First, we'll worry about 2013-14 when we get to it. With Parise replacing WW on this squad, plus the addition of some quality rookies (Kreider, Hagelin, Erixon), this team will be a legitimate Cup contender. That's not a chance we should pass up.

Second, I fully expect that the cap will rise in 2013. The economy is a disaster right now to a degree those of you who don't own business can't comprehend. This is the worst economy of our lifetime, worse even than in 2008-2009. Nobody wants to spend money, it's a total disaster, and every business owner I know reports the same thing. Plus, the dollar collapsed. It's not that oil, gold, euro, yen, etc are all up, it's just that the dollar collapsed and everyone who is smart is investing in every other possible resource to get out of the dollar.

Hopefully in the next couple of years, we'll get out of this disaster. A normal recession is 2 years. It's been 3 years already. I am hoping in another 1-2 years we'll recover. (If we won't recover in the next 2 years, half the small businesses in the US will go bankrupt.)

The improved economy and/or the improved value of a dollar will mean more revenue and therefore more cap space.

Worst comes to worst, if the cap doesn't increase, we can trade either Dubinsky or Girardi, depending on how Kreider and McIlrath develop over the next 2 seasons. Note I'm not saying we should waive Dubinsky or Girardi for nothing, but we can get fair value in terms of picks and prospects for them.

If instead of Dubinsky, we have Parise plus a good prospect and a first rounder (that we would get for Dubi), that's a very big improvement over our current situation. Honestly, wouldn't you trade Dubinsky straight up for a signed Parise? So getting Parise plus fair and full value for Dubinsky seems like a very good deal.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:41 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
First, we'll worry about 2013-14 when we get to it. With Parise replacing WW on this squad, plus the addition of some quality rookies (Kreider, Hagelin, Erixon), this team will be a legitimate Cup contender. That's not a chance we should pass up.
Because this team has made smart changes in how it operates, it can now sign free agents when it wants to, not because it has to. This is a great thing.

Quote:
Second, I fully expect that the cap will rise in 2013. The economy is a disaster right now to a degree those of you who don't own business can't comprehend. This is the worst economy of our lifetime, worse even than in 2008-2009. Nobody wants to spend money, it's a total disaster, and every business owner I know reports the same thing. Plus, the dollar collapsed. It's not that oil, gold, euro, yen, etc are all up, it's just that the dollar collapsed and everyone who is smart is investing in every other possible resource to get out of the dollar.

Hopefully in the next couple of years, we'll get out of this disaster. A normal recession is 2 years. It's been 3 years already. I am hoping in another 1-2 years we'll recover. (If we won't recover in the next 2 years, half the small businesses in the US will go bankrupt.)

The improved economy and/or the improved value of a dollar will mean more revenue and therefore more cap space.
Quantitative easing....the feds been playing with the dollar by printing and injecting so much they've been potentially causing a problem with inflation so step in with quantitative easing and depress the value of the dollar and you prevent inflation. They keep playing with things and we all keep our fingers crossed hoping they're smart enough to get it all right.

Instead of one fell swoop and a horrible depression we've ended up with rescue measures and a long drawn out Great Recession. Expect it to last a lot longer than you want it to. If you've got a business, just make plans to run like this indefinitely if not, start making changes like the Rangers did.

Quote:
Worst comes to worst, if the cap doesn't increase, we can trade either Dubinsky or Girardi, depending on how Kreider and McIlrath develop over the next 2 seasons. Note I'm not saying we should waive Dubinsky or Girardi for nothing, but we can get fair value in terms of picks and prospects for them.

If instead of Dubinsky, we have Parise plus a good prospect and a first rounder (that we would get for Dubi), that's a very big improvement over our current situation. Honestly, wouldn't you trade Dubinsky straight up for a signed Parise? So getting Parise plus fair and full value for Dubinsky seems like a very good deal.
It makes you wonder and looking at the team as it is now, when will one of the core players that have been brought up through the organization be traded and how will it affect the team? We really haven't seen this before.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Even if we cannot sign Parise or Suter, it's not the end of the world. The addition of Erixon, Kreider, Hagelin, and either Fasth or Thomas should be a significant step forward.

We will have more blue line depth, more speed and probably more scoring.

Depending on the development of Kreider, Thomas and Fasth, we could be contenders without signing or trading for any vets.

Old
11-07-2011, 12:03 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

With all the cap circumvention by the teams with money, can you see a soft cap/tax penalty system that could increase the money shared between teams? Essentially allowing teams with more money to spend more but penalizing them heavily for doing so and then sharing that money with poorer teams.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:32 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

The NFL salary cap for this season went down 8 million to 120 from the 2009 cap of 128, 2010 was an uncapped year.

NHL owners will be looking for a similar deal, I would expect the owners starting point will be revenue sharing reduction, cap reduction and salary rollbacks as we saw when the current CBA was implemented.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
With all the cap circumvention by the teams with money, can you see a soft cap/tax penalty system that could increase the money shared between teams? Essentially allowing teams with more money to spend more but penalizing them heavily for doing so and then sharing that money with poorer teams.

If anything, I see a harder cap than what we have now.

Old
11-07-2011, 01:29 PM
NYRKindms

You have to love the owners wanting to cut salary. These were the same clowns calling for redux last time.

As soon as they get what they want they immediately figure out ways to spend more and circumvent the cap. Then cry poverty and say that salaries are too high.

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:16 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

I don't, under any circumstances, get rid of Girardi, I don't care who is available via free agency.

I don't know what more Girardi needs to do to get the respect he deserves.

I LOVE Dubinsky, but id move him before I ever entertain the passing thought of moving Girardi.

If it took moving Dubinsky, losing Wolski, burying Rupp in the AHL (awful signing), to get Parise, well then so be it.

You'd be hard pressed to find many better top six than:

Kreider. Richards. Gaborik
Parise. Stepan. Callahan

And then have Miller, Anisimov, Boyle, Prust in the bottom six.

But our defense is paramount.

Staal(if/when), Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, Del Zotto

With the last spot going to either Erixon or McIlrath.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:43 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Actually, with such a difference between what different teams make a luxury tax that goes to revenue sharing would probably help the league overall *if* the money is directly put back into player salaries by the "poor" teams.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
You have to love the owners wanting to cut salary. These were the same clowns calling for redux last time.

As soon as they get what they want they immediately figure out ways to spend more and circumvent the cap. Then cry poverty and say that salaries are too high.
As long as the small market teams are dumb enough to do things like give out the James Wisniewski contract, they have no right to complain.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post

nhl players get a huge percentage of the revenues compared to most other sports...owners just wanna turn a profit. as a business owner myself, can't say i blame em.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

The issue of the size of the cap is almost going to be secondary this time, IMO. I have no doubt that in the final deal, players will have a lower percentage. However, growing disparity between the 8 true money makers in the league and everyone else is going to be a bone of contention between the owners. Escrow is going to be a bone of contention between the owners and players. They'll be able to work through these things without locking out, but these are going to be bigger issues than the size of the Cap.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:49 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The issue of the size of the cap is almost going to be secondary this time, IMO. I have no doubt that in the final deal, players will have a lower percentage. However, growing disparity between the 8 true money makers in the league and everyone else is going to be a bone of contention between the owners. Escrow is going to be a bone of contention between the owners and players. They'll be able to work through these things without locking out, but these are going to be bigger issues than the size of the Cap.
The size of the cap is dependent upon the revenue split so they really go hand in hand...as I posted yesterday the NFL revenue split went down with their new CBA and the cap went down as a result. There was also an article I read about a month ago that some of the small and mid-market teams also want to see the FA ages rolled back in order to keep their players and hold down salary accelaration, the thought being buying UFA years is escalating salaries across the board.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote