HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter L: any signs of seeing the light?

Old
11-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Flyers1974

vCash: 500
Peter L: any signs of seeing the light?

OMG, did you see the minutes played the other night by Timonen and Giroux? They will be literally dead by New Years day. I have not seen the line-up yet but with the call up of Wellwood, then if the line up is not:

Hartnell Giroux Jagr
Jvr Briere Voracek
Wellwood Couturier Simmonds
Rinaldo Talbot Harry Z

The one thing I like about Wellwood, Rinaldo, and Harry Z is at least they both
fore-check and back-check. And the trio have speed to burn.

Of course, the defense the has to ratchet-up about 3 notches so that Timonen
does not play 30 minutes.

Word of advice to Peter: I would really rather watch entertaining hockey rolling those 4 lines and lose because everyone is trying as hard as they can. Rather than Giroux and Timonen bent over at the 10 minute mark of the 3rd period exhausted and we barely win.

Your thoughts?

Flyers1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers1974 View Post
OMG, did you see the minutes played the other night by Timonen and Giroux? They will be literally dead by New Years day.

It's one game.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Flyers1974

No. It has been increasing ever since Pronger and Schenn have been injured. It has
been spirally upward every game. Look at TOI for the past 10 games. Creep has set,
well, if so and so can do 17 then he can do 18, then 19 then 20 then 21......so
on and so on. No buddy, it has been trending upward for Timonen and Giroux. For
Timonen, he more or less has to because the defense has been incredibly sub-par
for the inherent talent they have ( or it could be the system that Peter L. has
instituted, we could debate that). But for the forwards, he just does not trust them
to do their jobs for whatever reason. Time management is the key to success in this league, during the season and especially by the play-offs.

Old
11-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Nah, I'd rather win.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:46 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
He wants to play them more, but he can't. They don't have the horses on defense (whether it be defensive forwards or great defensive d-men behind Timonen) to do it. Blame the GM for trading the two best defensive forwards and replacing them with a bunch of kids not named Max Talbot

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:47 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He wants to play them more, but he can't. They don't have the horses on defense (whether it be defensive forwards or great defensive d-men behind Timonen) to do it. Blame the GM for trading the two best defensive forwards and replacing them with a bunch of kids not named Max Talbot
Jagr might be 39 and he might not be a two-way player but whenever he has been on the ice his line tends to have the puck in the offensive zone. His puck possession game works in that his team doesn't have to be playing defense as much.

I think the first line should be used more often.

livewell68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Haute Couturier

When it comes to Giroux, it's Laviolette's own fault for dressing player's he doesn't trust to play more than 5 minutes a game.

Quote:
Even Talbot is overrated. For nearly $2M he should be able to win a faceoff. He's been absolutely brutal.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:26 PM
TheLegendkiller

Its fine. NJ play Kovalchuk like 35 minutes a night. They can handle it. I'm kinda glad injuries are going around...it'll make the team play better.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 03:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Even Talbot is overrated. For nearly $2M he should be able to win a faceoff. He's been absolutely brutal.
Talbot has been great. He was also largely a winger the last couple years by my recollection. It's not Talbot's problem that the Flyers decided out of the blue that Blair Betts is no longer an NHL player.

Old
11-05-2011, 03:43 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
The best players play big minutes. More when injuries occur. That's why they are the best players. If they can't handle it, they aren't the best players.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 05:30 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Good coaches always find a way to win and they know how to use the personnel they have. Let's not forget that when Richards and Carter were moved, the move was made because many thought that Laviolette now had players that would buy into his system.

The biggest problem hasn't been the personnel, it's been the game plan in Philadelphia. If you're saying that a coach can't win with that lineup that's currently there, you're a fool. Most coaches would die to have a roster that the Flyers have. The problem has been that Laviolette hasn't adjusted his game plan accordingly. And for that, shame on him.

Hey, I like Peter and I really do think he's a good coach. However, he's starting to develop a bit of Hitchcock-itis in that he won't tamper with the system and he'll over play guys just because he doesn't trust others. He needs to stop that crap and trust the guys that he has can get the job done.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 06:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Good coaches always find a way to win and they know how to use the personnel they have. Let's not forget that when Richards and Carter were moved, the move was made because many thought that Laviolette now had players that would buy into his system.

The biggest problem hasn't been the personnel, it's been the game plan in Philadelphia. If you're saying that a coach can't win with that lineup that's currently there, you're a fool. Most coaches would die to have a roster that the Flyers have. The problem has been that Laviolette hasn't adjusted his game plan accordingly. And for that, shame on him.

Hey, I like Peter and I really do think he's a good coach. However, he's starting to develop a bit of Hitchcock-itis in that he won't tamper with the system and he'll over play guys just because he doesn't trust others. He needs to stop that crap and trust the guys that he has can get the job done.
Well, his way as won a Stanley Cup. In this regard, the Flyers chose the guy with the ring over the players. If he has players he doesn't think he can win with, that's something the GM has to address. We're not even talking about star players, just defensive forwards. I don't think it's the system, I think it's the players.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Damaged Goods

The Flyers are on pace for 105 points. Quick, who do we blame?

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
The "bottom six" roster spots usually reserved for defensive forwards (who are usually established veterans), are all occupied by rookies and young players. I think as the season wears on and they improve and prove themselves against NHL competition he will be willing to trust them more.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:51 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Underachievers. FIRE EVERYONE

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:54 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
When teams can sustain a lot of pressure on the Flyers they fall apart. The Blue Jackets are a weak team. They still need to improve their defensive play before they are set up to play a team like Boston again in the playoffs or the same results of last year will happen when the season really starts.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:03 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
OMG, did you see the minutes played the other night by Timonen and Giroux?
Prongerless points are worth their weight in gold.

As long as they're getting them, it's silly to complain about the specifics.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 08:18 AM
ph

The only light he needs to see is that we have too much talent to be dressing Shelley. Even with 3 forwards injured we have 12 that are more useful than him.

ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 08:39 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
I think we know how this will play out...

Scenario 1: Flyers miss the playoffs. Homer is the worst GM in history and needs to be fired. Bryz isn't worth half of what Bob is making (and Bob should have been starting ever since Bryz's first loss of the season). Jagr never had a shot because he is just too old and worthless.

Scenario 2: Flyers make the playoffs. Homer is the worst GM and got sooooooo lucky with the moves he made. The Flyers won in spite of Bryzgalov's poor play and his numbers are inflated only because of how good the defense is (which Homer got soooooo lucky at in assembling).

Something to that affect.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:20 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
This organization evaluates the overall performance based on what happens in the playoffs, which is one reason why we signed a $51M goalie hoping that he is another Tim Thomas.

If they miss the playoffs, I wouldn't even get that angry about it given the upheaval of the team.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Flyers1974

I still don't think you guys get the point. Isn't it intuitively obvious even to the dullest of
minds, that if Giroux plays 25-28 minutes a night, by the playoffs he is going to be
dog-tired? Remember 1975-76, when MacLeish went down, who picked up the minutes,
and who really died against Montreal? B. Clarke. Bobby against Montreal was as
slow as molasses ( not that he was ever a fast skater, strong skater, but definitely
not fast, he had not legs left) That was the year Leach carried the team, and as I recollect won the Conn Smithe Trophy. Kovalchuk playing 35 minutes is like 10 minutes for Giroux. Kovalchuk just hangs out at center ice all game long. Even I could handle those 35 minutes! ;-))) Last night Peter L. played the 4th liners more, of course, it was 9-0 when he did it. And again remind me why we have Shelley? Who fought last night,
the two mighty midgets, Harry Z and Rinaldo plus that sweet fight by Simmonds? Please
remind me again why we have Walker?

Old
11-06-2011, 12:10 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
I still don't think you guys get the point. Isn't it intuitively obvious even to the dullest of
minds, that if Giroux plays 25-28 minutes a night, by the playoffs he is going to be
dog-tired? Remember 1975-76, when MacLeish went down, who picked up the minutes,
slow as molasses ( not that he was ever a fast skater, strong skater, but definitely
not fast, he had not legs left) That was the year Leach carried the team, and as I recollect won the Conn Smithe Trophy. Kovalchuk playing 35 minutes is like 10 minutes for Giroux. Kovalchuk just hangs out at center ice all game long. Even I could handle those 35 minutes! ;-))) Last night Peter L. played the 4th liners more, of course, it was 9-0 when he did it. And again remind me why we have Shelley? Who fought last night,
the two mighty midgets, Harry Z and Rinaldo plus that sweet fight by Simmonds? Please
remind me again why we have Walker?
Do not forget that the NHL stops ALL drug testing when the playoffs start.....Players seem to find the " jump in a bottle " come playoff time.Pro sports is all about 2 types of chemistry these days.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Larry44
Where's Hovercraft?

Quote:
the two mighty midgets, Harry Z and Rinaldo plus that sweet fight by Simmonds? Please remind me again why we have Walker?
Well, we DON'T have Walker, and probably never will again. He's in the A.

And really, do you have to be a rocket scientist to realize there is no need to panic about a couple above average minute games for key players this week.

Here's your first clue, since you are clearly in need of one:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/schedule....012&gameType=2

Sat Nov 5, 2011 Blue Jackets Flyers
Wed Nov 9, 2011 Flyers Lightning
Sun Nov 13, 2011 Flyers Panthers
Mon Nov 14, 2011 Flyers Hurricanes
Thu Nov 17, 2011 Coyotes Flyers

After 3 games in four nights ending with Sat's blow out (and 5 of 6 points)., they get 3 days off, then head to Florida on Weds. then get 3 more days off before the Panthers/Canes back to back, then 2 more days off.

The team and all the coaches would've been very well aware that they had some valuable rest time coming up, so playing Giroux and Timonen, or whoever, a bit extra in this last stretch of games would not mean anything long term.

Win the games while you can, you can rest next week in the FLA sun...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyrock View Post
Prongerless points are worth their weight in gold.

As long as they're getting them, it's silly to complain about the specifics.
I think the team's win percentage with and with out him is nearly identical.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I think the team's win percentage with and with out him is nearly identical.
It's actually quite the opposite...

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote