HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lightning Goaltending Situation

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2011, 02:48 PM
tightightight

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
Neuvirth. I think the kid is a beast. Caps fans are on the fence about him, but hes good enough and thats what matters.
Neuvirth is talented no question there but I doubt the Caps let him go especially with Vokoun on a 1 year deal. Holtby on the other hand Or maybe even Steve Mason from Columbus.

Old
11-05-2011, 06:56 PM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contender View Post
Neuvirth is talented no question there but I doubt the Caps let him go especially with Vokoun on a 1 year deal. Holtby on the other hand Or maybe even Steve Mason from Columbus.
Ugh.

Old
11-05-2011, 08:20 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Ugh.
Indeed. He has really regressed since his Calder year. He hasn't had the best team, though. But I was thinking this guy was like 28-29 and was shocked to see he's only 23.

Old
11-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Blackjack26

Bernier/Schneider/Rask please

Old
11-06-2011, 01:22 AM
FlamesFan80

Let me offer you folks a piece of advice before you end up throwing Roloson completely under the bus (that is unless you expect his replacement to fall out of the sky this year, because Garon will falter and will never be a #1)...

Go to this link:

http://www.rawcharge.com/2011/11/4/2...khawks-preview

Read the usual nonsense about Roloson if you like...
Or scroll directly down to the one and only comment in response to the article, posted by CAustin on Nov. 4th.

Read it, try to understand it, because it's probably the only smart response I've read from a Lightning fan on the subject of Roloson this season.

Remember, Edmonton had no business being in the cup final that season if it not for. No business... and just because he's 42 doesn't mean he's lost touch of that player, much of last season I saw that same player.

If I were you I'd get behind him, he would give you a very good chance this season to make a strong run. And don't take for granted how close you actually are... this is coming from a Flames fan keep in mind.

Last edited by FlamesFan80: 11-06-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old
11-06-2011, 03:00 AM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan80 View Post
Let me offer you folks a piece of advice before you end up throwing Roloson completely under the bus (that is unless you expect his replacement to fall out of the sky this year, because Garon will falter and will never be a #1)...

Go to this link:

Or scroll directly down to the one and only comment in response to the article, posted by CAustin on Nov. 4th.

Read it, try to understand it, because it's probably the only smart response I've read from a Lightning fan on the subject of Roloson this season.

Remember, Edmonton had no business being in the cup final that season if it not for. No business... and just because he's 42 doesn't mean he's lost touch of that player, much of last season I saw that same player.

If I were you I'd get behind him, he would give you a very good chance this season to make a strong run. And don't take for granted how close you actually are... this is coming from a Flames fan keep in mind.
Most of us are aware of Rolo's streakiness. And most of us are still behind him. This thread is more about "who's our #1 next season?" anyway unless Roloson decides to continue to not use his glove for the rest of the season. Things like that worry us. He doesn't look like his old self. The dicisions he makes in-game are not what we're used to. "Shot short side glove side? Alright, let's try and get my body / chest in front of that shot! ...woops! Sooo close though."

Old
11-06-2011, 10:14 AM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contender View Post
Or maybe even Steve Mason from Columbus.
I think a change of scenery would be good for him. But it would be HIGHLY risky. I'm sure his price tag is dirt cheap right now though

Old
11-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
I think a change of scenery would be good for him. But it would be HIGHLY risky. I'm sure his price tag is dirt cheap right now though
I don't think so, right now. Who's backing up Mason?

On their depth chart, they've got an injured rookie, Mark Dekanich as #2, and then Curtis Sanford.

A midseason swap would require another #1ish netminder coming the back to Columbus. Maybe as the trade deadline approaches, and they've found solace in what they have, he could be had cheaply, but not right now, IMO. Not while Scott Howson is on the hot seat to win.

Also, I don't buy into the 'change of scenery' thing. Mason is inconsistent. While another goalie coach might help him find consistency, it's also a major red flag.

No one's mentioned the other man on borrowed time, Anders Lindback. Let's keep it that way. From what I understand about him, he's good, but I don't want him.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-06-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old
11-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Bolt32

Don't want anyone elses backups to be honest. Until they get number 1 time in the NHL, there is always a risk they will flop like Mike Smith did. Though, if Halak is available next year, I think he would thrive under our system.....

Old
11-06-2011, 12:17 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan80 View Post

Go to this link:

Anyone with common sense that watches this team a significant amount should have it pretty plain in front of them that the team hasn't played well in front of him and left him hanging. Roloson is good enough to go far, the question this year (moreso than last year) is our third line, workload of MAB and Gilroy, and staying healthy.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

*busts through door*

(breathlessly) Guys...someone made...a...glove...save...

It has been done. Someone inform Roloson of this immediately.

Old
11-06-2011, 01:30 PM
stammerhammer91

Roloson is "streaky" but so is this team for the most part. rollie plays well when the team plays well, which is pretty obvious. But really rollie, and no other goalie for that matter, will ever succeed when the team gives up so many quality chances. When the team plays good defense then rollie can make 2-3 good stops a game. against chicago, rollie played really really well, the goals he let up, there really wasn't much he could do on any of them. When the easiest goal you let up was a shot from about 5 feet away wide open, then you know you had to stop some quality chances. Rollie is fine, and i am not worried about him. When the team plays great defense it doesn't mattter if rollie or garon is in net, but i would rather have rollie because he has proven he is a number 1 goalie.

Old
11-06-2011, 05:08 PM
VanTampaFan

To TBL:

Cory Schnieder

To VAN:

Brett Connolly + 2012 2nd Round pick

Old
11-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Kusic
Be The Thunder

Send a message via ICQ to Kusic
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabee88 View Post
To TBL:

Cory Schnieder

To VAN:

Old
11-06-2011, 07:49 PM
stammerhammer91

Quote:
To TBL:

Cory Schnieder

To VAN:

No thank you

Old
11-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
To TBL:

Cory Schnieder

To VAN:

so basicallyy

To TBL:

Real good backup goalie who might become a good starter.

To Van:

A guy that is considered a franchise player in the making and a 2nd rounder in a stupid deep draft, so essientially its really a first as far as value.

Does that make sense to you? How are we not getting ripped off? No, just no......

Old
11-06-2011, 09:19 PM
chasespace

Quote:
To TBL:

Cory Schnieder

To VAN:

Counter offer

To TBL:

Cory Schnieder

To VAN:

Mathieu Garon(for realistic purposes) + conditional 2012 pick(1st if we make it to the Cup finals, 2nd if we make it to the Conference final, or 3rd if none of the other requirements are met)

Old
11-07-2011, 12:39 AM
VanTampaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
so basicallyy

To TBL:

To Van:

A guy that is considered a franchise player in the making and a 2nd rounder in a stupid deep draft, so essientially its really a first as far as value.

Does that make sense to you? How are we not getting ripped off? No, just no......
I disagree.

First, I am a huge lightning fan. Ive had centre ice for years just for them and I am literally that one guy in 18k fans wearing a lightning jersey when they are in town. They are my eastcoast team . So really this trade proposal was not an attempt to rip off, but one that I see bettering both teams.

Secondly, I really don't think that the value is far off. If you compare this to the Varlamov deal, its pretty much bang on. TBL would be getting a really good goalie just hitting his prime who has literally won at every level he's played at. I personally feel that he is a better goalie than luongo and really wish that MG could lock him up long term, but that is simply not possible with Luongo's contract. Hes not going anywhere and we gotta get over that. Cory is probably one of the most highly regarded goalies not in a starter position in the league right now. Good attitude, good in the room, and a winner. He would be a great fit for the lightning.

TBL needs a new goalie in the next year. Looking at the upcoming UFA pool is depressing... its more likely that SFY will have to make the upgrade via a trade. Like who is available? Nabokov? Brian Elliot? Vokoun if some miracle occurs? Watching Garon play today was painful. Rollie is good when he's hot but he is likely to retire at the end of this season. If he is back next year, I can see SFY putting him into a mentorship role similar to what Chris Osgood did in Detroit.

Losing Connolly isn't awesome, but really hes probably the best asset to move. Most GMs wouldn't want Malones contract, Vinny Stammer and Marty and Hedmen aren't going anywhere, and I really like Downie I dont see him being moved as he bring good edge. TBL is in a compete mode right now. And yes, while prospect depth is the weakest point of the organization right now int he minds of SFY and Boucher, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. TBL still keeps their 1st for this draft as well, as the 2012 2nd is likely gona be 50-60th overall.

There is a much better chance of the lightning getting an upgrade through free agency on the wing this year. Florida is beautiful, has favourable tax laws, and the vibe that Vinik, Leiweke, and SFY have brought will make tampa an attractive spot for free agents. You just need to look at who is available.

I think this trade is extremely fair and good for both teams.

Old
11-07-2011, 12:41 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
so basicallyy

To TBL:

To Van:

I don't think he'll be a franchise player, but Connolly could be a very good 1st line forward. But I agree I wouldn't do Connolly and a 2nd. Schnieder is good, but we don't know yet if he can be our number 1. That's not a risk I'm ready to take.

Old
11-07-2011, 01:07 AM
BoltSTH

Ashton and a 3rd

Old
11-07-2011, 01:21 AM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
Ashton and a 3rd
Are you insane? You want to trade a kid who is tearing up the AHL in his rookie season and only going to get better? No way.

Old
11-07-2011, 01:28 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
I disagree.

First, I am a huge lightning fan. Ive had centre ice for years just for them and I am literally that one guy in 18k fans wearing a lightning jersey when they are in town. They are my eastcoast team . So really this trade proposal was not an attempt to rip off, but one that I see bettering both teams.

Secondly, I really don't think that the value is far off. If you compare this to the Varlamov deal, its pretty much bang on. TBL would be getting a really good goalie just hitting his prime who has literally won at every level he's played at. I personally feel that he is a better goalie than luongo and really wish that MG could lock him up long term, but that is simply not possible with Luongo's contract. Hes not going anywhere and we gotta get over that. Cory is probably one of the most highly regarded goalies not in a starter position in the league right now. Good attitude, good in the room, and a winner. He would be a great fit for the lightning.

TBL needs a new goalie in the next year. Looking at the upcoming UFA pool is depressing... its more likely that SFY will have to make the upgrade via a trade. Like who is available? Nabokov? Brian Elliot? Vokoun if some miracle occurs? Watching Garon play today was painful. Rollie is good when he's hot but he is likely to retire at the end of this season. If he is back next year, I can see SFY putting him into a mentorship role similar to what Chris Osgood did in Detroit.

Losing Connolly isn't awesome, but really hes probably the best asset to move. Most GMs wouldn't want Malones contract, Vinny Stammer and Marty and Hedmen aren't going anywhere, and I really like Downie I dont see him being moved as he bring good edge. TBL is in a compete mode right now. And yes, while prospect depth is the weakest point of the organization right now int he minds of SFY and Boucher, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. TBL still keeps their 1st for this draft as well, as the 2012 2nd is likely gona be 50-60th overall.

There is a much better chance of the lightning getting an upgrade through free agency on the wing this year. Florida is beautiful, has favourable tax laws, and the vibe that Vinik, Leiweke, and SFY have brought will make tampa an attractive spot for free agents. You just need to look at who is available.

I think this trade is extremely fair and good for both teams.
Based off of what Ive seen off of Connolly, I think he has the potential to be a star forward. If not he will probably be a player that will be a border line superstar. Make the all star game at least a few times before his career is over. If all else fails, he will be scoring bottom 6 guy. If Schneider doesn't pan out, that leaves us with a solid backup....maybe not even.

You guys have a better defense than us, I'm not blind. How much of that was your defense baby sitting the kid, rather than the kid carrying your defense? Our D still needs work, and will be facing more scoring chances. I would feel more much comfortable going after a goalie that is used to facing those types chances at a much higher frequency than your boy and shown he can actually thrive in those situations. Example: Halak. On top of all of this, were giving up a good pick and a damn good draft. I'm not down with that idea honestly. I think its poor asset management to take away your best prospect in your pipeline that can be a superstar for a guy that all he has proven so far is that he is a damn good backup goalie.

That would be equivalant of the Oilers giving up Jordan Eberle for Matt Gilroy based off if Gilroy ever balances out his second half of his game he would be a damn good defensemen. Would be dumb for EDM to do such a thing. That is where I'm at. If we pay a premium, I want a proven guy coming back, not a what if. (No matter how good that what if looks like he will become.)

Old
11-07-2011, 02:15 AM
clyankees47

Quote:
Based off of what Ive seen off of Connolly, I think he has the potential to be a star forward. If not he will probably be a player that will be a border line superstar. Make the all star game at least a few times before his career is over. If all else fails, he will be scoring bottom 6 guy. If Schneider doesn't pan out, that leaves us with a solid backup....maybe not even.

You guys have a better defense than us, I'm not blind. How much of that was your defense baby sitting the kid, rather than the kid carrying your defense? Our D still needs work, and will be facing more scoring chances. I would feel more much comfortable going after a goalie that is used to facing those types chances at a much higher frequency than your boy and shown he can actually thrive in those situations. Example: Halak. On top of all of this, were giving up a good pick and a damn good draft. I'm not down with that idea honestly. I think its poor asset management to take away your best prospect in your pipeline that can be a superstar for a guy that all he has proven so far is that he is a damn good backup goalie.

That would be equivalant of the Oilers giving up Jordan Eberle for Matt Gilroy based off if Gilroy ever balances out his second half of his game he would be a damn good defensemen. Would be dumb for EDM to do such a thing. That is where I'm at. If we pay a premium, I want a proven guy coming back, not a what if. (No matter how good that what if looks like he will become.)
How about Luongo?

He faced a lot of shots in his first few years with Vancouver and all those Florida days.

Old
11-07-2011, 09:21 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

The only way I see Connolly getting moved is in a package for either a true #1 netminder or a defenseman such as Ryan Suter. Otherwise, he figures to be a top 6 forward on our team for years to come.

If Vancouver is asking for Connolly in return for Schneider, Y will hang up the phone. There are other options for unproven #1's out there that wouldn't cost us Connolly.

Old
11-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
I'm trying to separate myself from this and look at it objectively. Simply, Schneider is a great goalie prospect, and probably the most sought after goalie in the league. To get him, we're going to have to give up a top prospect of our own, or a halfway decent roster player. Connolly or Ashton + a mid level draft pick is probably good value. The question comes as to how much we want a goalie like that. We'd have to ask our selves, since this is more of a prospect swap (who both play now), how would we feel in five years if both reach their potential? An annual .920% goalie vs. a 35~ goal, 70~ point scorer?

Closed Thread