HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

by the time the islanders are looked at as a threat...

Old
11-06-2011, 01:33 PM
startainfection

vCash: 500
by the time the islanders are looked at as a threat...

Before anyone flips out i am not saying that they will dominate as much

...Grabner Tavares and Martin will all be playing on a line together and their style of play offensively will be getting compared to the trio grande line of the dynasty years

grabner is a pure goal scorer with speed and doesnt play much of a physical game at all and will probably get serious consideration for lady bing trophy for a few seasons alot like bossy

tavares is an offensive genius with lots of finish, i think he will become more of a play maker because of grabner, and his skating, toughness and defensive game are improving faster then most people expected

martin will be the power forward/enforcer that will make other teams fear taking shots at grabner or tavares and when they do get hit he will stand up for them and is one of the best fighters in the league and although i expect martin to become a player that would normally be putting up 40 points a season i think he will be able to get around 60 points if he is always playing with those guys

does anyone else see that happening?

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Isles Junkie

I assume you're talking about as a legitimate threat in the East. IMO they're at least 2 years away from that.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think JTs future wings are currently on the roster. Perhaps Nino slots in as that physical & net presence.

I really do think his other winger needs to be a supremely creative & intelligent player. Grabner really isn't that guy. I want to see what they can do together in the meantime, but I don't know if it's a combo that will stick for the long term (i'm talking about years here). Grabner has some elite skills, but playmaking, creativity, vision, reading the play etc just aren't his thing. Granted, he doesn't have a ton of NHL experience and he can improve, but Marty St. Louis he'll likely never be.

From within, you'd have to hope that Strome turns into that guy.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 02:32 PM
BossyMVP

No.

No way martin is a 40-60 point man. Probably tops out at 30 if he works hard but to me thats fine if he keeps hitting the way he does on the 3rd line. I like grabs but he's too weak along the boards and he's a below average passer. When Nino gets up here, they hopefully will put him next to JT and then you have your power foward to protect JT. Truthfully, I don't know who else they should put on that line. JT is doing way too much work on that line while everyone else watches him. If you noticed, by the 3rd period...he looks tired. We need a passer and grinder next to him to relieve him of some of the work. When he gets help, he will be even better than he is now.

BossyMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 03:36 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I assume you're talking about as a legitimate threat in the East. IMO they're at least 2 years away from that.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think JTs future wings are currently on the roster. Perhaps Nino slots in as that physical & net presence.

I really do think his other winger needs to be a supremely creative & intelligent player. Grabner really isn't that guy. I want to see what they can do together in the meantime, but I don't know if it's a combo that will stick for the long term (i'm talking about years here). Grabner has some elite skills, but playmaking, creativity, vision, reading the play etc just aren't his thing. Granted, he doesn't have a ton of NHL experience and he can improve, but Marty St. Louis he'll likely never be.

From within, you'd have to hope that Strome turns into that guy.
You beat me to it. Comparing Grabner to Bossy is quite frankly insulting to Bossy. Boss was not just some one dimensional goal scorer with speed. Anyone claiming as much would be declaring at the same time that they never actually watched him play, or paid attention if they did. He was a playmaker as well. Goalscorer first and foremost, but not like Grabner at all who so far does not seem to own any creativity with the puck or have the higher end passing/receiving skills Mike had, or the vision. Bossy was a master of where to be to get the pass to then have his chance.

I, like you, think his future line mates are not with him at the moment. I also think Grabner + Tavares is destined for the scrap heap. I could however see Martin on a line with Tavares at some point, but positionally having two guys who score from tight in produces an issue. Tavares will ultimately need two players who open ice for him, or for all of them.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 03:42 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

I predict JT playing with Kabanov and Niederreiter.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
No one on the team or in the system resembles Trottier at all. Cizikas is probably the closest stylistically, but his upside is nowhere near that. The player that resembles Bossy the most is Tavares, not Grabner. And as much as I love JT, I have a hard time putting his upside at that level. Gillies was more mobile (at least comparably to the opposition) and had a much better shot than Martin. Niederreiter is probably a closer comparison for Gillies, though neither will be as feared of a fighter as Gillies was and I doubt either will ever put up the numbers he did.

Though I'd love to see us with another line like them, it's just not in the cards. We're talking about a line that was dominant for nearly a decade straight, and is comprised of all HOFers (Gillies is questionable, but the point remains). We're extremely fortunate to even have one line like that in our history.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
...Grabner Tavares and Martin will all be playing on a line together and their style of play offensively will be getting compared to the trio grande line of the dynasty years

does anyone else see that happening?
Please stop.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:51 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Please stop.
And bury this thread with lye.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote