HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Swedish Prospect Update Thread - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Garl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by svartgul View Post
Larsson/Rundblad/Erixon ftw!
Im not getting much sleep.

Mps and Hedman were always overrated, but how are markström and the often called most nhl ready draftee surprises?
MPS is fine aside from scoring. And with Tom Renney as a coach he will not become a scoring threat. As for Hedman, he is +5 and plays 23 minutes per game. Slow start offensivly, but very solid overall.

Old
10-26-2011, 04:08 PM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Like who?
Omark, Pääjärvi, Hörnqvist all without points so far. So is Wandell and Lander that are defensive players but they should still produce at least something. I imagine Stålberg and Krüger needs to chip in a point now and then (they both got 1 so far). Tedenby might need to step it up to stay in the league (since he is not a roleplayer). Brunnström and Ritola are fringeplayers that needs to put up points to stay in NHL. Bergfors doesn't get to play much at all in Nashville and desperatly needs to show something when he gets a few minutes now and then.

So it's a long list.
It's a good chance that we see some of theese players in AHL soon.

Old
10-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Lainlight
Hands down AINEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neblod Zin View Post
These octobers are usually somewhat dark for swedish hockey. Some of the best prospects don't really deliver and the same goes for the many older / better swedish players. I'm still glad that there has been few pleasant surprises like Landeskog and Markström. But overall, what a disappointing start! Mainly this goes for Collberg, Forsberg, Pääjärvi (plus of course Zeta and few more for the older ones). I was also hoping that this season would be the big breakthrough for Hedman, but it doesn't look like that right now. And then Josefson is injured and Tedenby is not so very good. So much for a talk about new golden generation. My arse!
thats bold coming from a finn

Old
10-26-2011, 07:20 PM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainlight View Post
In the last two seasons (2009-2011) there has been three finnish rookies in NHL, Laakso, Koskinen and Hartikainen playing 25 games combined, in the same period there has been 28 swedes rookie swedes playing tons of games. So indeed things look a bit brighter for Sweden compared to Finland.

Lets see things for what they are. Out of the 24 swedes that was drafted in 2009, over half (13) of them has allready played a NHL-game. That's actually crazy numbers. It's allready the draft from which most swedes actually made it to a NHL-game all-times with a margin.

When talking about a golden generation though, you got to remember that all is not gold that glitters. Not every single hyped up prospects makes it in the longrun or forfills his potential. I am just happy if there comes out a couple of impact-players from these good agegroups.

Last edited by cheerupmurray: 10-26-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old
10-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Neblod Zin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainlight View Post
I have few times stated in the past, that although I'm a finn, I've rooted for Sweden since the emerge of Forsberg back in 90's. Though I must admit, that I get a bit ankward looks here in Finland when I'm wearing my Tre Kronor shirt.

Old
10-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
Omark, Pääjärvi, Hörnqvist all without points so far. So is Wandell and Lander that are defensive players but they should still produce at least something. I imagine Stålberg and Krüger needs to chip in a point now and then (they both got 1 so far). Tedenby might need to step it up to stay in the league (since he is not a roleplayer). Brunnström and Ritola are fringeplayers that needs to put up points to stay in NHL. Bergfors doesn't get to play much at all in Nashville and desperatly needs to show something when he gets a few minutes now and then.

So it's a long list.
It's a good chance that we see some of theese players in AHL soon.
Hornqvist is an established NHLer who is playing with an injury. No AHL for him.
Stalberg and Wandell are 4th liners at this point, don't expect lot of them pointwise. Omark aswell as Bergfors are in doghouse and can't do much.

Old
10-31-2011, 11:24 AM
Harry Kakalovich

I notice Sebastian Wannstrom has scored two goals recently - now that I have traded him for next to nothing in my sim league. So tell me, have I made a big mistake?

Old
10-31-2011, 06:44 PM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kakalovitch View Post
I notice Sebastian Wannstrom has scored two goals recently - now that I have traded him for next to nothing in my sim league. So tell me, have I made a big mistake?
Don't think so, but who knows. So far in his SEL-career he has played very low minutes, been extraforward and on the whole never really had a chance to score much. It's possible he could have some kind a breakout if he moves up the lines and gets some confidence.

I think he has been a bit misshandled by the Brynäs management, last year he sat on the bench a lot in SEL and hardly played with the junior team either. My firm belief is that you got to play a lot in that age to develop.

Old
11-01-2011, 03:29 AM
Howe Elbows 9

vCash: 200
Sweden's roster for the Karjala Tournament (some international games at senior level):

Quote:
30. Viktor Fasth
41. Gustaf Wesslau

4. Staffan Kronwall
5. Daniel Fernholm
10. Johan Fransson
14. Mattias Ekholm
15. Simon Bertilsson
22. David Petrasek
25. Mattias Karlsson

9. Magnus Kahnberg
16. Calle Järnkrok
18. Jesper Fasth
19. Patrik Zackrisson
20. Martin Thörnberg
21. Jimmie Ericsson
23. Niklas Persson
24. Johan Harju
29. Joel Lundqvist
33. Jakob Silfverberg
44. Nicklas Danielsson
71. Jonas Andersson
79. Fredrik Warg
91. Andreas Jämtin

Old
11-01-2011, 04:41 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolorous Edd View Post
Sweden's roster for the Karjala Tournament (some international games at senior level):
Ekholm was named the top D in last year's tourney, right? Hopefully he can use it to get his confidence going after a challenging couple of months in Nashville.

Old
11-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Urgi

A preview of what could be the WJC team.

Copied from http://hockeysverige.se/blogg/bodin

Goalies:
Johan Gustafsson, Luleå
Johan Mattsson, Sudbury (OHL)

Defense:

Jonas Brodin, Färjestad - Oscar Klefbom, Färjestad
Patrik Nemeth, AIK - John Klingberg, Jokerit
Fredrik Claesson, Djurgården - Mattias Bäckman, Linköping
Daniel Gunnarsson, Luleå

Forwards:

Ludvig Rensfeldt, Sarnia (OHL) - Johan Larsson, Brynäs - Johan Sundström, Frölunda
Pontus Åberg, Djurgården - Mika Zibanejad, Djurgården - Sebastian Collberg, Frölunda
Max Friberg, Timrå - Joakim Nordström, AIK - Rickard Rakell, Plymouth (OHL)
Erik Thorell, Färjestad - William Karlsson, Västerås - Filip Forsberg, Leksand
Victor Rask, Calgary (WHL)

Better team than i expected!

Old
11-01-2011, 08:35 AM
WayneBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urgi View Post
A preview of what could be the WJC team.

Copied from http://hockeysverige.se/blogg/bodin

Goalies:
Johan Gustafsson, Luleå
Johan Mattsson, Sudbury (OHL)

Defense:

Jonas Brodin, Färjestad - Oscar Klefbom, Färjestad
Patrik Nemeth, AIK - John Klingberg, Jokerit
Fredrik Claesson, Djurgården - Mattias Bäckman, Linköping
Daniel Gunnarsson, Luleå

Forwards:

Ludvig Rensfeldt, Sarnia (OHL) - Johan Larsson, Brynäs - Johan Sundström, Frölunda
Pontus Åberg, Djurgården - Mika Zibanejad, Djurgården - Sebastian Collberg, Frölunda
Max Friberg, Timrå - Joakim Nordström, AIK - Rickard Rakell, Plymouth (OHL)
Erik Thorell, Färjestad - William Karlsson, Västerås - Filip Forsberg, Leksand
Victor Rask, Calgary (WHL)

Better team than i expected!
Thats pretty much the team I want to see in the WJC. We could have a realy good team next WJC, very young team. I expect Johan Larsson to be the star of the team along with Zibanejad.

The other teams should watch out for William Karlsson though, he is very good.

Old
11-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolorous Edd View Post

The SEL is pretty meh these days. No big names in the league what so ever. They're either in the NHL or KHL.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Cilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
The SEL is pretty meh these days. No big names in the league what so ever. They're either in the NHL or KHL.
What does the SEL have to do with our Karjala roster? If you're suggesting that those prospects were allowed on the team only 'cause we lack quality players... NHL players being unavailable is nothing new, and the KHL players can still be added for these tournaments, I think the quality of the SEL is kind of a non issue? Especially since we tend to try out the less established players in these kinds of tournaments anyway, so perhaps -that- would have been better to emphasise.

And on a side note, unless you use the 04/05 season as the standard, the SEL isn’t as bad as you make it out to be. Sure, the KHL has taken some of the top players, but the overall competitiveness and depth is still there, and if you really think there are no big names (by European standards) you are fooling yourself. Kallio, Lundqvist, Wallin, Davidsson, Magnus Johansson, and heck, the list goes on. Viktor Fasth isn’t playing in the KHL, and Holmqvist is at least a “big name” even though his stats haven’t been too great in recent years. Gerber can even hold his own in the NHL, and so on.

There are even some relatively big names in our second-tier league… Prestberg, Klasen. For example. So I have to say, Debbie, not sure I agree with your attitude. The prospects on that roster are all great players in their own right, and deserve to be there.

Old
11-05-2011, 10:04 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Dude, the SEL is awesome. Lots of interesting young players, in general a very good quality of players, and the playing is smart and is quite enjoyable to watch. Also seems like there's a good fan culture. In many ways a better league than what we Finns have, even though I like the FEL.

Also what I have noticed is that players coming from the NHL to play in the SEL are rarely dominant, and good stats in the AHL aren't guaranteed to translate to good stats in the SEL.

And like Cilisi said, the swedish secodn-tier league has some surprisingly big names, and I think it's easily the best 2nd tier league in Europe, easily

Old
11-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Pellegrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kakalovitch View Post
Wännström has got more ice time recently, mainly because other Brynäs forwards have been injured, but expect most of them to be back after the NT-break. Wännström is then, again, likely to get less ice time. He needs to improve his overall game if he wants to get much ice time on SEL level. A loan move to a SEL-2 team would be the most logical next thing to happen for Wännström.

Old
11-05-2011, 04:56 PM
KRM

Quote:
IMO I think the last 2-3 years have been some of the best in the last decade, except for the lockout season of course.

Old
11-06-2011, 10:33 AM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Dude, the SEL is awesome. Lots of interesting young players, in general a very good quality of players, and the playing is smart and is quite enjoyable to watch. Also seems like there's a good fan culture. In many ways a better league than what we Finns have, even though I like the FEL.

Also what I have noticed is that players coming from the NHL to play in the SEL are rarely dominant, and good stats in the AHL aren't guaranteed to translate to good stats in the SEL.

And like Cilisi said, the swedish secodn-tier league has some surprisingly big names, and I think it's easily the best 2nd tier league in Europe, easily
I wholeheartedly agree with the great second tier league part. SEL has been the european league that have produced the highest amount of NHL-players lately, so it can't be all that bad. What you can notice though is that the league hasn't produced so many high scoring players (in NHL) latelty, Kopitar, Bäckström and Loui Eriksson are those I can think of.

I do however think SEL has been in better shape before (excluding the obvious lockout-year). The level of goaltending is great though.

Old
11-06-2011, 04:30 PM
James Franco

Guys let me tell you something. I'm pretty stoked William Karlsson is playing well. Do you expect him to make the WJC roster for Sweden?

Old
11-06-2011, 04:41 PM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Franco View Post
Guys let me tell you something. I'm pretty stoked William Karlsson is playing well. Do you expect him to make the WJC roster for Sweden?
He has a very good chance to make the team.

Old
11-06-2011, 05:29 PM
joe89

J. Brodin will get to play with Tre Kronor due to injuries. The youngest to play in quite a while I believe. Adam Larsson never did and Hedman/Karlsson were probably slightly older? Unsure about Ekman-Larsson. Good company anyway.

K. Dahlbeck also in.

Old
11-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Is it true that Detroit's prospect Mattias Backman is playing on the first pairing for Linkoping?

Old
11-07-2011, 01:57 AM
Howe Elbows 9

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccchristien View Post
Is it true that Detroit's prospect Mattias Backman is playing on the first pairing for Linkoping?
He's not regularly playing on the first pairing, no. But he has probably been given some time playing top 4 minutes:

Player ATOI
Magnus Johansson 24:08
Niclas Hävelid 23:17
Johan Åkerman 19:01
Klas Dahlbeck 16:54
Mattias Bäckman 15:13
Robin Persson 14:16

Old
11-07-2011, 03:50 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Franco View Post
mmh.. jinxer.. apparently he went scoreless in the last 3 games

still 16pts in 19 games, if he keeps up this pace in a competitive senior league i would say is hard not to think him on the WJC team.

Old
11-07-2011, 03:55 AM
helicecopter

Nashville 5th rounder Simon Karlsson has 14 pts in 6 U20 games this season after recording 13pts in 32 games at the same level in his draft yr..
just bigger role/icetime or has his game already reached a different level?

considering he already played 4 allsvenskan games last year, is he expected to be called up soon to the senior team?

Closed Thread