HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

john gianonne

Old
11-07-2011, 02:46 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

vCash: 500
Giannone's goal calls are really bad, but for the other 97% of the game when goals aren't scored I don't think he's bad. He's just average. There are plenty of worse announcers. Mike crispino and Chico must be the most obnoxious, bland duo in history. Yuck.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:47 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Rather have Maloney in the booth. I know he's not a play by play, but let joe do it and have Maloney be the color guy.

Giannone sucks.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:52 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 600
At least we aren't Devil fans and have to be tortured with Steve Cangialosi.

11-07-2011, 03:35 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Rather have Maloney in the booth. I know he's not a play by play, but let joe do it and have Maloney be the color guy.

Giannone sucks.
Maloney will be there in due time. He is a fantastic analyst.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:42 AM
Problematique

All Y'all Yanks don't know how spoiled you are with the calibre of callers for American national sports.

From an Australian perspective, Giannone is a good caller- and to be fair it's not as if he's a starting caller on MSG.

Your commentators are energetic, provide valuable insight for newcomers to the sport and are another aspect of the entertainment.

Our commentators for national sports are senile once-game greats, ever-tarnishing their name with the dribble that comes out of their mouth that makes you remember you have a mute button on the remote.

LGR!

Problematique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Rangers1135

I can't stand Joe even more.

Rangers1135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:53 AM
Giacomin

This thread just shows how Great Sam Rosen is and how much the Rangers fan is spoiled by listening to Sam on a regular basis. Giannone is a decent backup announcer middle of the road.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:23 AM
pld459666

aside from Rosen, I'm not a fan of any of the other guys.

Would like to see either Rose or Albert when Sam retires.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Not gonna lie... IF after Sam retires whenever that may be, MSG replaces him with John Gianonne... Id have a hard time watching Ranger home games.

Gianonne does a great job with mid game interviews and updates and so on but... no play by play for him.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:45 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
I don't even mind his actual calls so much, it's just his voice is not suited to PBP. Overall, he's okay.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:52 AM
MAC TRUCK

He's pretty annoying. Seems like a nice guy, overuses the "gives chase" and "posses" among others.

I always cringe when he asks Torts questions...

MAC TRUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
Not gonna lie... IF after Sam retires whenever that may be, MSG replaces him with John Gianonne... Id have a hard time watching Ranger home games.
You gotta think / hope that when Sam retires, they promote Kenny Albert (who I'm surprised doesn't get more work with MSG) or more likely, poach Rose from the Islanders. Rose has probably been praying for Sam to retire for years.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:19 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

He's not great, but he's not terrible either. For someone who only calls any kind of sports game a handful of times per year, he does a decent job.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

He is hideous . As if his brain can't keep up with the action. And is voice is pitched too high

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:45 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
You gotta think / hope that when Sam retires, they promote Kenny Albert (who I'm surprised doesn't get more work with MSG) or more likely, poach Rose from the Islanders. Rose has probably been praying for Sam to retire for years.
I beg of the latter to happen. I LOVE Rose, might be my favorite PBP guy in the league.

11-07-2011, 09:50 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Giannone is horrendous. Really terrible. I think Crispy was better, but that may just be because I always enjoyed when Davidson called him Crispy.

Al would be better. He knows even less but he's a lot more amusing. Go Team Trautwig!

Giannone annoys me as much as Joe Beninati, who I really hope to never hear call another game again. Really takes bad broadcasting to new lows.

I would be happy with either Albert or Rose replacing Sammy. I'm really starting to like Albert, but that's not surprising. When I was a kid, life revolved around the Knicks as told by his father.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I don't even mind his actual calls so much, it's just his voice is not suited to PBP. Overall, he's okay.
Im with you. He sees the game/plays better than Sam does, I dont even think thats up for debate - Sam is getting up there in years and misses more and more of the action each year. Giannone wasn't blessed with the almost iconic voice of Rosen though.

As for Sam, I literally grew up listening to him. His voice is synonymous with NYR hockey as far as Im concerned. However, Im not going to let emotions get in the way of the fact that his performance has slipped greatly in the last several years. Could be because hes getting old, could be because he lost the best color guy in the league in JD - probably a bit of both.

And while the Rangers broadcast team still beats out several others around the league, its getting tougher and tougher to listen to Sam and Joe work together.

With that said, I sure hope Giannone isnt the heir-apparent.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:24 AM
The Mouth

John Monotone is the worst hockey play by play guy in the league. He's calling a soccer game out there. "and they play On."

When Sam Rosen toupe finally decides to hang it up, this is who we will be left with. So get used to it.

Crispino's goal call on the Malek shootout goal alone beats anything this piece of Styrofoam Monotone will ever do.

I will give him one thing he knows to call the players when they have the puck.

Unlike Toucan Sam Rosen who will likely being talking about how great Kaspars Daugavins is for 5 minutes while play is going on and then be utterly surprised by a Ranger goal and then have to wait until the guys from the truck tell him in his earpiece the name of the player who just scored for the Rangers.

As Ranger fans we deserve better than these old public relation guys doing our games.

Oh btw immediately after Sam's 5 minute opus lauding the great Ottawa forward Kaspar Daugavins he was sent down to the AHL.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Jeanerette and Edwards say hi.
This.

Compared to some of the truly over the top homers I've had the privilege of listening to G man is pretty good - not great mind you.

Call me old fashioned, but in my book Marv Albert is still the best I've heard call a Rangers game.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Problematique View Post
All Y'all Yanks don't know how spoiled you are with the calibre of callers for American national sports.

From an Australian perspective, Giannone is a good caller- and to be fair it's not as if he's a starting caller on MSG.

Your commentators are energetic, provide valuable insight for newcomers to the sport and are another aspect of the entertainment.

Our commentators for national sports are senile once-game greats, ever-tarnishing their name with the dribble that comes out of their mouth that makes you remember you have a mute button on the remote.

LGR!
This sounds potentially awesome & hilarious...Imagine Joe Namath in the booth during a football game rambling on and trying to make out with a producer - or Roenick and Milbury in the booth together calling the game!? They wouldn't get through a week without coming to blows.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im with you. He sees the game/plays better than Sam does, I dont even think thats up for debate - Sam is getting up there in years and misses more and more of the action each year. Giannone wasn't blessed with the almost iconic voice of Rosen though.

As for Sam, I literally grew up listening to him. His voice is synonymous with NYR hockey as far as Im concerned. However, Im not going to let emotions get in the way of the fact that his performance has slipped greatly in the last several years. Could be because hes getting old, could be because he lost the best color guy in the league in JD - probably a bit of both.

And while the Rangers broadcast team still beats out several others around the league, its getting tougher and tougher to listen to Sam and Joe work together.

With that said, I sure hope Giannone isnt the heir-apparent.
While this may be true, I think the big issue with Giannone is translating what he sees into words.

Like last night a Jets player shoots the puck wide and he goes "shoots the puck wide, into the open net!"

I can live with a mistake here and there, obviously there going to happen on a live PBP, but with Giannone it seems that multiple times a game he says something idiotic like this.

Can't stand the guy, he's not as bad as Michael Kay, but if he's given the job after Sam, I will flip.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:37 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I get pissed at Sam every time he's calling a football game over hockey. Like I've said before, we need Hockey Guys calling our games. Get me Dave Strader!!!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:41 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x GBISH x View Post
Okay? I have center ice too. My dad is a penguins fan so I end up watching around 70 pens games every season. Do that and then tell me that Giannone is the worst announcer in the league.
I live near PIT so i see alot of their games. i try to catch some of their more entertaining matches (WSH, PHI, NYR of course). i dont remember thier names, but those guys are HORRIBLE. i cant listen to them, and i cant watch the game on mute. im screwed either way. the only person who gives them a run for their money is Pierre McGuire.... he shoud die every time he has to call a name....he also needs to get his hands out of Crosby's pants...

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:47 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Problematique View Post

LGR!
Now why did you have to bring Craig Foster into a hockey thread?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:47 AM
John Torturella

When you listen to Don LaGreca call the games, Gianone is OK. He is still pretty bad though.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote