HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Eric Wellwood to Phantoms (Nov. 7); Gustafsson remains with team

Old
11-05-2011, 12:00 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
I did. Once again lol.

His feet are leaving the ice as impact is being made. Even then its only one foot off the ice. He's not launching himself before contact is made.
lol. Ight well Im seeing (and I think a bunch of others) something different so... alright. Like I dont know how much more clear it can be, but its all good. Seems like this is turning into a Haters vs. Fanboys debate again and honestly dont want to get into it haha.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
lol. Ight well Im seeing (and I think a bunch of others) something different so... alright. Like I dont know how much more clear it can be, but its all good. Seems like this is turning into a Haters vs. Fanboys debate again and honestly dont want to get into it haha.
A lot of people on various sites say it was a legal hit. If you watch the video at 15 secs you see his feet are still on the ice at the point of impact. But we both see what we want to see i guess.

As far as haters vs fanboys. No its not really. If you are a hater its fine. I really never accused you. So you must be if you imply this to be what you are implying.. As for fan boy i mean i guess i am. I like him as a player but do i have Zac Rinaldo wallpaper? No. I like Giroux but does that make me a fanboy? I guess so.

I'm trying to be neutral as possible. If he does something wrong then i will be the first one to call him out.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:34 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
A lot of people on various sites say it was a legal hit. If you watch the video at 15 secs you see his feet are still on the ice at the point of impact. But we both see what we want to see i guess.

As far as haters vs fanboys. No its not really. If you are a hater its fine. I really never accused you. So you must be if you imply this to be what you are implying.. As for fan boy i mean i guess i am. I like him as a player but do i have Zac Rinaldo wallpaper? No. I like Giroux but does that make me a fanboy? I guess so.

I'm trying to be neutral as possible. If he does something wrong then i will be the first one to call him out.
I admit Im not his biggest fan. But like I said, its video evidence. I did look at 15 seconds. You can see him leaving his feet right before the hit. I wasnt pissed at him or anything, but in this case, I consider it charging.

I also looked on many other sites who stated it was charging so...alright then. I actually think Rinaldo has been pretty good lately. Us "haters" were yelled at for his first stint even when he was playing averagely and committed daily stupid penalties. He hasnt been playing bad right now and there are no penalties so Im fine with him playing. Kind of wish his defensive game was better but there isnt anything you can do. People want him to play more, but he is getting 4th line minutes (he actually had a shift or 2 on the 3rd line) like every other 4th liner gets.

I admit that there is some of us who its HARDER to get to like Rinaldo and to yell at him more than others (we watched him in juniors and AHL so we have been exposed to Rinaldo alot more than most fans here), but there is also the other set of group who see's Rinaldo do no wrong. My main thing about Rinaldo is I just I just wished he did alittle more. Im not a big fan of the "2 minute run around and hit people" players. Now I'd be fine if he was the "2 minutes run around and hit people, but 4 minutes of pk time", but he isnt that.

Old
11-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

We will just agree to disagree on the hit.

I understand the notion of how he played in juniors and in the AHL. I understand that some are uneasy about that but you got to give a guy a chance to succeed.

You also have to be neutral in the aspect that yes he had a questionable history but he is a young player that has found a role of what he wants to be in the NHL and he can improve on what he needs to do. Of course there is a chance he will never amount to a decent 3 or 4th liner but that is just the nature of the sport.

For a guy who only plays 2 or 3 mins a game he has made the most of it. 1 goal and 2 assist in 8 games. Also throwing some good hits and getting in on the forecheck. I understand the trust isn't there yet because its a small sample size and i see that Lavy sees the same. If Rinaldo keeps playing disciplined hockey and improves he will start seeing more then 3 mins.

Right now Lavy doesn't trust him and i understand why but Rinaldo can't do nothing but continue to prove the doubters wrong. So far he is doing a good job in his limited role. Every 4th liner isn't a penalty killer.

Old
11-05-2011, 02:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Stop. It's getting old.
Dude, leaving your feet is charging. That's a penalty. Your issue is with the rulebook.

Quote:
Every 4th liner isn't a penalty killer.
That's somewhat debateable. The Flyers must feel like that every 4th liner needs to be capable of doing so, or else they wouldn't have told Joe Patterson to start using him to kill penalties with the Phantoms. Every 4th liner isn't a penalty killer, but in a few years they will.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
That's somewhat debateable. The Flyers must feel like that every 4th liner needs to be capable of doing so, or else they wouldn't have told Joe Patterson to start using him to kill penalties with the Phantoms. Every 4th liner isn't a penalty killer, but in a few years they will.
True.

If its a organizational philosophy then that's fine.

But it isn't a league wide trend. It just depends on the team and the roles of players on the teams. I agree Rinaldo will be a better benefit to the team if he can develop into a penalty killer.

Old
11-05-2011, 04:27 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:

I really like Rinaldo... Mainly because I keep hoping his prescence will allow us to drop useless Shelley and his cap hit.

Do i wish we went to a more skilled 4th line? Yeah, but that's not something this team will ever do. And in the confines of the "enforcer" role, Rinaldo is one of the most skilled guys we've had. And he also lays some tremendous hits.

As to the Rinaldo hit's legality, after watching several slow mos, you can tell both feet are on the ice when he makes the initial contact.

However, prior to the hit, Rinaldo had coiled his body and did put his legs into it. It was honestly a perfectly timed charge, but a charge nonetheless. Because the NHL rules are murky, i cant tell you if it should have been called, but i can tell you that that is the type of hit the NHL is hoping to avoid w/ the new rules, so its likely to be called most of the time

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:54 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Wellwood was sent back to the Phantoms.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Banger

Quote:
wonder if this means Reed is ready to go?

Banger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:08 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
Read is likely ready to play Wednesday but Wellwood's re-assignment also means Pronger is probably going to be activated and available for the next game.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:10 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Seriously a shame for Wellwood... seems like he plays pretty well and creates chances every time he's up w/ the big club, but he just can't catch on for good.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:43 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Word is Gustafsson also wasnt on the ice. Thats a shame if he has gotten sent down also. He's been better then Lilja.

Old
11-07-2011, 11:03 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Word is Gustafsson also wasnt on the ice. Thats a shame if he has gotten sent down also. He's been better then Lilja.
Unless Pronger is 100% good to go for the next game, why would they send Gus down?

When do the phantoms play? Maybe Gus can play their game nad be back up for Wednesday

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
AGREED !!!

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:32 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
It was a maintenance day for Flyers defenseman Erik Gustafsson, who was not on the ice today for practice
-flyers.nhl.com

Good to hear.

Old
11-07-2011, 03:21 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I guess this means Read is back? Please god don't make this mean that Couturier is back on the 4th line .

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I guess this means Read is back? Please god don't make this mean that Couturier is back on the 4th line .
He had already been demoted back to the 4th line.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:37 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
He got 2 goals from the 4th line last game. He is 18 years old, it is good to keep his minutes down early in the year so he is less likely to burn out later in the season. Especially so since he gets so much PK time, its good to keep his even strength minutes limited

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:13 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
Gustafsson is on the second powerplay team, paired with Meszaros at today's (Nov. 8) practice.

Practice lines and pairings for November 8:

19-28-68
21-48-17
93-27-24
29-14-36/45

25-20
44-5
41-6

Source: Anthony, Delco Times.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-08-2011 at 10:43 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:34 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
i really hope Gus sticks around. he has done nothing to deserve a demotion or even scratched. But that would be like this organization to give the 6th spot to the ****** 6th defenseman over the rookie defenseman.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:41 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
i really hope Gus sticks around. he has done nothing to deserve a demotion or even scratched. But that would be like this organization to give the 6th spot to the ****** 6th defenseman over the rookie defenseman.
I don't think Gus is getting demoted anytime soon. His average time of ice is 5 minutes more than Lilja and 7 minutes more than Walker. I think it's pretty safe to say that the Flyers have found their number 6 guy who has upside to be in the top four. Perfect spot for Gus to be in.....

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote