HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you like Jacques Martin as Habs coach?

View Poll Results: Do you like Jacques Martin as Habs coach?
Yes 105 42.00%
No 145 58.00%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-06-2011, 11:45 PM
  #151
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 500
Ilike him as he squeez a lot of wins ou of this average club. But i don't like how he actualy coaches, very uninspiring. I voted yes.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:04 AM
  #152
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I most likely agree with your analysis mike. I don't think lack of toughness has played a role in this early season at all. I still would like to address it a bit though, especially on the back end, not necessarily a fighter type, but a strong dman capable of playing 20+ minutes a night, sort of Roman Hamrlik like.

The team has played tough every game this year. I actually like what I see to this point in that regard. Seems size might of been the missing ingredient more so than toughness. Cole and Pacioretty do wonders for our smallish skilled players.
I concur. This may come as a surprise, but I'm a big fan of toughness and fighting in hockey. I'd enjoy seeing a Dave Manson type on the backend right now. I was watching a Mark Fraser fight, thinking he'd look nice as Montreal's #6. Flip side, though: Fraser can't move the puck and isn't overly mobile, so that's an issue that I wouldn't want to see compromised. Then it becomes a little more difficult to find a mobile, decently adept puck-moving defenseman who can throw 'em. As much as I enjoy Vandermeer as a fighter, for example, I wouldn't want him on the club because it'd compromise that aspect of things.

By the way, the new party line from some in the toughness-crowd is that Montreal may be looking OK now, but by year's end we'll see them disintegrate, essentially, after being bullied all year. So, I suppose that's the next thing to watch out for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
I disagree. The Habs have gotten bigger this year. Every line has at least one big forward. Two scoring lines each have a big power forward who can score. Guys like Moen, Eller and Kostitsyn make for a big line who forecheck very well and it's evident in their numbers. That imo is a very difficult line to handle for any team. A big part of their game this year is an aggressive forecheck. This isn't the smurf team we've known in the past. And the sooner people get that out of their heads and accept our new bigger team, the better.
Not sure what you're disagreeing with. Habsjunkie2 stated that Montreal got bigger and that problem has been addressed, so you seem to be reiterating what he's said.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:04 AM
  #153
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I didn't like the Cole signing because of his age but I loved the fact that we finally brought in a large physical forward.

He got off to a slow start and looked invisible for the first few games but he's picked it up and played well for us lately. And the great thing about a physical forward is that even when he doesn't score he works as a catalyst and gets the team going. Cole has been a sparkplug lately and he's been better than I hoped he would be.
I'm not overly fond of the contract either, but he hasn't shown any signs of declining, that could change of course and most likely will at some point over the duration of the contract, but if we get 2 or 3 years out of him at his current level, that would be enough for me.

montreal is in a bit of unique situation, if they want to address areas, it's gonna involve slight over payments. That's the reality of the situation and the Cole deal is exactly that, but age becomes less of a concern to me if players are performing, I don't care if Cole gets 25g 25 assist at 32 or if he does it at 26, the production in the end is the same, so far so good, he would have to deteriorate semi quickly for the contract to bite us in the rear end.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:11 AM
  #154
gillyguzzler
Registered User
 
gillyguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,804
vCash: 500
In his post game press conference, who did Jacques Martin blame for the loss. You guessed, Andrei Kostistyn. Why, watch the winning goal and see why he lays blame at the feet of AK. No mention that Price was weak on the goal. No mention of Cammy's awful direct giveaway and weak backcheck earlier. No mention of DD's weak D zone coverage coming out of the box. He blamed AK for this :

http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...=NYR58&fr=true

And that is why I hate Jacques Martin. He will publically protect certain players no matter what and quickly throw other players under the bus every chance he gets.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:25 AM
  #155
LesHabsRock
Registered User
 
LesHabsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Not sure what you're disagreeing with. Habsjunkie2 stated that Montreal got bigger and that problem has been addressed, so you seem to be reiterating what he's said.
Then allow me to be more clear. He stated that he would like to see more toughness and that Pacioretty and Cole do wonders for our small forwards. My response was based on these two points. I disagree that our team needs more toughness and gave examples of the Eller-Moen-Kostitsyn line and the team's aggressive forecheck. I was also alluding to the fact that Pacioretty and Cole aren't the only ones who who have size on the habs as it seemed as though Habsjunkie still believes we have the smurf team from the past except for those two. The fact is the team is bigger and it goes beyond those two players. Not sure how you missed that, but obviously you felt very compelled to defend it.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:49 AM
  #156
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Then allow me to be more clear. He stated that he would like to see more toughness and that Pacioretty and Cole do wonders for our small forwards. My response was based on these two points. I disagree that our team needs more toughness and gave examples of the Eller-Moen-Kostitsyn line and the team's aggressive forecheck. I was also alluding to the fact that Pacioretty and Cole aren't the only ones who who have size on the habs as it seemed as though Habsjunkie still believes we have the smurf team from the past except for those two. The fact is the team is bigger and it goes beyond those two players. Not sure how you missed that, but obviously you felt very compelled to defend it.
Wow, seemingly defensive for no reason on this one. I don't think habsjunkie2 stated anything to the contrary on any of this, but enjoy the soapbox anyhow.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:39 PM
  #157
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Then allow me to be more clear. He stated that he would like to see more toughness and that Pacioretty and Cole do wonders for our small forwards. My response was based on these two points. I disagree that our team needs more toughness and gave examples of the Eller-Moen-Kostitsyn line and the team's aggressive forecheck. I was also alluding to the fact that Pacioretty and Cole aren't the only ones who who have size on the habs as it seemed as though Habsjunkie still believes we have the smurf team from the past except for those two. The fact is the team is bigger and it goes beyond those two players. Not sure how you missed that, but obviously you felt very compelled to defend it.
I never said anything about a team full of smurfs. I said that the perceived lack of toughness issue might of really been a lack of size issue and that the issue was mostly addressed with the acquisition of Cole and a full season of Pacioretty. Improvements can always be made though. Our d could use a tough minute cruncher, not a fighter or even a huge guy, but someone capable of playing in all situations.

Why are you defending against an argument I never made?

Smurfs bla bla bla.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:10 PM
  #158
LesHabsRock
Registered User
 
LesHabsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Wow, seemingly defensive for no reason on this one. I don't think habsjunkie2 stated anything to the contrary on any of this, but enjoy the soapbox anyhow.
Defensive? Hardly. You're blowing this way out of proportion and making it a soapbox. Quit being so offensive. I'm sure Habsjunkie is a big boy and can handle himself.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:16 PM
  #159
sansbruit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
He's living his dream job, good for him.
That being said, look at what Montreal has compared to other teams and Martin has been able to make this team overachieve

sansbruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:39 PM
  #160
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
The day Martin is gone I'll do the same happy dance I did when Kovalev signed in Ottawa.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:08 AM
  #161
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 24,220
vCash: 500
With all due respect for his wealth of experience, I still wonder whether or not the game is changing faster than he's willing to adapt. I also question whether his safety first approach makes us more dangerous in the end than using our speed and talent to fore-check and pressure the crap out of opponents. I'd also be curious to know how much of his line juggling is "message sending", or simply still trying to figure out exactly what each player offers and who works best together.

So, good coach, but gotta answer "no". I don't know who I think stands the best chance of a) being available, and b) doing a better job instead, but that's a different thread, I guess.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:29 AM
  #162
holyhabs87
Registered User
 
holyhabs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,816
vCash: 500
He will never ever be the difference between the habs winning the cup and not winning it. Granted, coaching in the NHL is overrated in comparison to a sport like the NFL...but regardless, even a casual fan can spot numerous errors he makes in a game. The lack of innovative ideas, in game adjustments and lack of common sense make him just an average coach.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.