HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Snow asking for 2nd round pick for Nabakov

Old
11-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Snow asking for 2nd round pick for Nabakov

Quote:
Snow's price for Nabokov has been a 2nd rd pick. Makes sense to start him tonight. GMs only have 1 #NHL game to watch at 7 ET.
Another pick...

How about we get a body to help out our team NOW!

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Section311

vCash: 500
Is he asking to be traded? Wouldn't they be better off keeping him till at least the trade deadline?

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:39 AM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin De Haan Job View Post
Another pick...

If Snow trades Nabokov for a pick he should be fired immediately. You don't trade your best goaltender for a 2nd round pick, especially because you never know when DP is going to have his incredibly bad luck kick in and get another injury.

Also, for the record, I don't believe a damn thing Botta says anymore after that whole Isles going to make another trade that the fans will like incident over the summer.

I will take this with a grain of salt.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Fuzzy Bunny

Why trade him now anyways? I thought he wasn't disgruntled in Long Island this season?

Who do the Islanders plan on parading out behind their talented forwards, a brittle DiPietro and Al Montoya?

Unless he is still seriously unhappy there no harm into not opening up to trade until teams get serious goaltender injuries.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Why trade him now anyways? I thought he wasn't disgruntled in Long Island this season?

Who do the Islanders plan on parading out behind their talented forwards, a brittle DiPietro and Al Montoya?

Unless he is still seriously unhappy there no harm into not opening up to trade until teams get serious goaltender injuries.
He seems fine now.

Montoya has been better then Nabokov thus far anyway..but it's been very very close over who has been better.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:49 AM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

Snow sure loves his 2nd round picks!

KingLio21093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Renbarg

A couple of things:

1) we don't know what Nabby
y was promised behind closed dorrs. Remember that rolly was promised a trade to a contender if the isles fall out of the race.

2. A three goalie system is no bueno. Arguably our best goalie hasn't gotten a start in weeks.

3. I would have traded Nabby in TC. I guess Snow was banking on a couple good starts to raise his value and he got it. Id still be shocked if he managed to get a 2nd rounder for nabby.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Yep thats the New York Islanders boys and girls... lets keep on rebuilding through the draft. When the attendance is 7,000 in January we can all count down till that 2nd round pick choice

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:57 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Another pick...

THANK YOU. Enough with the damn picks. We need warm bodies to help us NOW!!!!

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:03 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

We all want a "body" but does anyone think Nabakov alone garners us a top prospect or a top vet?

C'mon...no chance. If you were GM or another team, would you give a prime asset up for a rental goalie?

I'll take the second round pick laughing all the way to the draft thank you very much. Snow has done extremely well at the draft, and could always use that second round pick later on to obtain a "body" as part of a package. Don't knock it.... Josh Bailey or Blake Comeau (as examples) packaged with a 2nd rounder is a heck of a lot more attractive, and could garner something of value in return.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Boik14

Ideally Id liked a good defenseman but I think there is one small thing being left out of the equation here: Anyone who wants a 36 year old goaltender is likely looking for a deep playoff run this year. Thats where it gets tricky for some teams. What contending team or wanna be contender is going to give up an important piece for another player who, its no secret, wants out and has wanted out from the day he got here. Leverage is not to our advantage here. Ideally, yeah, Id like to trade Nabokov for a solid first pairing or at the very least top 4 defenseman but find me a contending team with a surplus of good defensemen willing to deal one.

Any suggestions? The only contender I really see with a surplus of good dmen is Philly and after the investment they made in Bryzgalov are they really looking for a goalie?. You could probably lump Vancouver and Boston in there too but neither really needs a goalie.

So the other question I must pose is where's the market for goalies and of those teams who has a defenseman for us?

Boik14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Boik14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
We all want a "body" but does anyone think Nabakov alone garners us a top prospect or a top vet?

C'mon...no chance. If you were GM or another team, would you give a prime asset up for a rental goalie?

I'll take the second round pick laughing all the way to the draft thank you very much. Snow has done extremely well at the draft, and could always use that second round pick later on to obtain a "body" as part of a package. Don't knock it.... Josh Bailey or Blake Comeau (as examples) packaged with a 2nd rounder is a heck of a lot more attractive, and could garner something of value in return.
Exactly. That extra second rounder becomes very useful as you get nearer to the trade deadline and teams are more willing to dump salary for a pick. You see good players get dealt for a mid round pick all the time at that time of year.

Boik14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:13 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

1) Has Nabokov been such a clear cut No. 1 that ANY GM in this league would give up something valuable for him? A 2nd rounder is actually a HIGH asking price for this goalie.

2) Nowhere Nabokov goes will he play with the defense he saw in San Jose. Look at Detroit, imagine if he played behind those guys right now?

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
It's almost as though he has a fetish with 2nd round picks. In this deep draft it might be especially valuable, so if he can get it, then I wouldn't be too upset. Then again, I'm pretty much against trading Nabokov or Montoya to begin with. But if they're gonna do it, a 2nd round pick in a deep draft is acceptable. I guess.

I'm over stockpiling picks now. I'd much rather get a prospect, or even expand the trade to include some of our pieces & bring in an NHLer, or a better prospect.

Last edited by Isles Junkie: 11-07-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Isles72

so who gave this tidbit to c.botts ?

stan the fisherman ?

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:42 PM
pattyb91

Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
If we could get a 2nd round pick, its a VERY good thing. Not only is that a good return, but I think no matter what happens to this team it'll be useful. If we are in the playoff hunt near the deadline, that 2nd round pick will get us a good NHL player from a selling team while that same team probably wouldn't be interested in an aging goalie. Along with that, if we struggle and hold on to the pick, another 2nd in this great draft will be nice....I doubt we will get a 2nd rounder, but no one should be against it if Snow can pull it off.

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:42 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
what's not to love. They are cheaper than a 1st rounder and you can always sell the "it's a deep draft so a second is more like a first" story.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:43 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post

Bingo, Bailey +/ Comeau with that pick could easily help get that "body" we want. Anyone who thinks Nabakov is worth a top-6 F/top-4 D by himself is crazy.

Heck even if we keep that pick this draft is crazy deep.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
TBH, I'd rather have a 2nd rounder instead of another Ty Wishart.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:49 PM
ferrisUML

Its pretty obvious that Snow just wants the flexibility of an offer sheet.

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:55 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Another pick...

For Nabokov? Keep dreaming.

The best we could get for him would be a bottom pairing defenseman/bottom 6 forward. Things we don't need.

I would be thrilled if they could move Nabokov for a 2nd. As much as I think he is better than DP, we are stuck with DP. And I would rather start Montoya than Nabokov. Plus, the three goalie thing really doesn't work. Montoya hasn't played in weeks.

So, if the Isles have a chance to get a decent asset for Nabokov, I would do it in a heartbeat.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Brunomics

Unless it's right up against the deadline and the Isles are basically out of the playoff race they better be keeping him for the year. I have no trust in DP and I'm gaining trust in Montoya(if he ever sees the ice again?) but Nabokov is needed on this team.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:07 PM
number72

Only team that needs a goalie right now is Columbus and maybe leafs with injured reimer.
2nd round is too rich though.

I would trade snow to any team for 7th and bag pucks

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:16 PM
OlTimeHockey

I think I know what's wrong!!@!

Now bear with me, but GARTH SNOW CANNOT READ!!!

He makes a trade and the agents and coaches and GM's count lines and, honestly, II is easier than I (Snow doesn't want himself traded) for him and 9th rounders get downright confusing, so....

Does he sign his name "X" still?

I think there's something to this.

But seriously, we give away our best goalie (I stand by Monty but DP doesn't like Monty so no more Montoya) and throw in the towel in November because Wang wants Ricky to play often more than he wants the Isles to play in May - dispute this all you want but it's true - so we're mailing it in if we treade Nabby for anything less than much needed help on D or an upgrade on offense (Rolston plus Nabby for a top 6 winger with size?(yes, Rolston is expensive but Nabby is a top goalie equipped for a playoff seeding)).

If this trade goes down, Snow should be fired and a GM who plans on winning before Armageddon replaces him.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:17 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Only team that needs a goalie right now is Columbus and maybe leafs with injured reimer.
2nd round is too rich though.

I would trade snow to any team for 7th and bag pucks

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote