HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brayden Schenn

Old
11-07-2011, 02:39 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Brayden Schenn

Why is he being tossed around in so many trade proposals either here or in the trade boards by Flyers fans. He was the main piece acquired in the Richards deal. Simmonds and the 2nd round pick were secondary. Not only that but by many before the trade he was widely considered the best prospect not in the NHL. We got to see a very small sample of what he could do and he got hurt. Whattya gonna do? Maybe he matures slowly around the same pace as guys like richie or carter. Couturier is an outlier the amount of people that make the NHL at 18 is miniscule. Prospects don't develop like him very often. Schenn is obviously NHL ready as observed by his ahl stats and the way he looks. I just don't understand all the people feeling the need to trade him

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:47 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
HFboards is a very "what have you done for me lately place..
Plus a lot of people think that he may be our most available player at the moment the way the team is clicking without him and they are wondering if they could get back a good defensive player for him

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:53 AM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Why is he being tossed around in so many trade proposals either here or in the trade boards by Flyers fans. He was the main piece acquired in the Richards deal. Simmonds and the 2nd round pick were secondary. Not only that but by many before the trade he was widely considered the best prospect not in the NHL. We got to see a very small sample of what he could do and he got hurt. Whattya gonna do? Maybe he matures slowly around the same pace as guys like richie or carter. Couturier is an outlier the amount of people that make the NHL at 18 is miniscule. Prospects don't develop like him very often. Schenn is obviously NHL ready as observed by his ahl stats and the way he looks. I just don't understand all the people feeling the need to trade him
If you can use a strength (forwards, particularly centers) to acquire a weakness (young defenseman), why would you not do that?

Brayden Schenn isn't being thrown around as some throw-in in trades... he's being bandied about as the centerpiece for a #1 defenseman. And rightfully so.

We have 3 centers for our 3 top lines Giroux-Briere-Couturier.

Obviously we can and will make room for Schenn if need be, but if you can get good value for him and improve the team in doing so, don't you have to explore that?

I think you're biased based on your avatar (big picture of Brayden Schenn), but still, I don't know why you're so angry about the trade proposals... it's just an attempt by our fans to improve the team. And many fans agree that a young #1 defenseman would be more valuable to the team than another top-9 center.

And that's not a knock on Schenn. The fact that Schenn might be able to fetch a #1 D proves that special things are expected out of him. It's not about his talent or how he played when he was up here (I actually think he looked really good... he was fast, created lots of chances, etc.) It's just about an efficient allocation of the team's resources.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:59 AM
dats81

Right now he is expendable because our offense is doing so well.
And he has not yet been given a chance to really show his potential.

That's why people are exploring options.

Personally, I'm more for acquiring a high pick to draft a potential future Nr.1 defender than trading for Weber or someone similar now - I just don't see how to fit such player under the cap with Pronger and Timonnen still on the team...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:19 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Schenn is the perfect replacement for Briere to keep the strength of the three centres in-tact. He's not going to be traded.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Larry44

Quote:
The short answer is that they aren't trading Brayden Schenn or even thinking about it.

Everyone loves what Couturier is doing - and Schenn is projected to be a better player than that. He's shown some glimpses of his skill set, he's smart, he plays both ways and hits, he's creative and has good hands. He's going to make a big impact on the team when he gets back into the lineup.

It's all good. We've got three young, skilled top centres locked up for the foreseeable future, and a few more years of Briere too. Rejoice!

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:26 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Because it's November, people are bored, and it seems to people that we're doing fine without him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:46 AM
cheesesteak

Because we're in need of a potential #1, and you have to give to get. Personally I'd rather do it through the draft, or FA, and hold on to Schenn.

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Because none of us are GM's so it doesn't matter if we offer players.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:50 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Brayden Schenn is terrible. He has proved nothing at any level and should have won at least two Hart trophies by now but instead is just so injured. What a waste! Bring back Scottie Upshall!

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:01 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Because none of us are GM's so it doesn't matter if we offer players.
Wait.... What?

This is news to me.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Schenn is the perfect replacement for Briere to keep the strength of the three centres in-tact. He's not going to be traded.
You keep Schenn in the mix, this kid has superstar written all over him. Add Giroux-Schenn-Couturier as the three centers to build around and they can acquire a d-man for Bobrovsky, plus some free tickets to the Winter Classic.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:16 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
because 95% of the fans on this board think that because Schenn didn't score at a point-per-game pace before he got injured, he sucks and will never live up to his potential

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
The short answer is that they aren't trading Brayden Schenn or even thinking about it.

Everyone loves what Couturier is doing - and Schenn is projected to be a better player than that. He's shown some glimpses of his skill set, he's smart, he plays both ways and hits, he's creative and has good hands. He's going to make a big impact on the team when he gets back into the lineup.

It's all good. We've got three young, skilled top centres locked up for the foreseeable future, and a few more years of Briere too. Rejoice!
I don't think he is projected to be better than Couturier and I'm not saying this because 14 is currently playing and 10 is not. Couturier had a better draft year than Schenn. Schenn is a bit better now, but he also has the advantage of being slightly older/more developed. I think they both have similar upsides.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:08 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
because 95% of the fans on this board think that because Schenn didn't score at a point-per-game pace before he got injured, he sucks and will never live up to his potential
That's not true.

I love when people ramble out their bums about things they know zip about.

Go read the trade proposals being talked about... Schenn is being valued pretty highly in those proposals. Do you know why? BECAUSE WE THINK THE WORLD OF THE KID. If you're valuing him highly in a trade, it means you pretty clearly don't think he sucks and think there's a pretty good chance he lives up to his potential.

Seriously people... use that thing behind your eyes. It's powerful when you put it to work and actually "think" before you type.

I guess CGY fans think Iginla sucks and CBJ fans think Nash sucks too... amiright?

Old
11-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I don't think he is projected to be better than Couturier and I'm not saying this because 14 is currently playing and 10 is not. Couturier had a better draft year than Schenn. Schenn is a bit better now, but he also has the advantage of being slightly older/more developed. I think they both have similar upsides.
Agreed, I think they really do have have equal future upsides, I meant that Schenn has a more accomplished career (WJC) was expected to do more this year because he's more NHL ready.

With Giroux, they are a nice mix of skilled, feisty and smart. And for all the grief about Couturier's skating, he looks fine to me. He has plenty of speed to keep up, and will be even better when he's stronger.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:26 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
That's not true.

Go read the trade proposals being talked about... Schenn is being valued pretty highly in those proposals. Do you know why? BECAUSE WE THINK THE WORLD OF THE KID. If you're valuing him highly in a trade, it means you pretty clearly don't think he sucks and think there's a pretty good chance he lives up to his potential.

Seriously people... use that thing behind your eyes. It's powerful when you put it to work and actually "think" before you type.

I guess CGY fans think Iginla sucks and CBJ fans think Nash sucks too... amiright?
i was joking

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:47 AM
chsb

Quote:
Really???

10 C Brayden Schenn 4 0 0 0 -5
14 C Sean Couturier 14 5 3 8 9

As far as I am concerned, Couturier does not even belong in the same sentence as Schenn right now, specially when you take into account the fact that he plays 4th line while Schenn was playing 2nd-3rd line in his short stint.

Schenn might have been NHL ready according to some, but he is nowhere as ready as Couturier is.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:53 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
Really???

10 C Brayden Schenn 4 0 0 0 -5
14 C Sean Couturier 14 5 3 8 9

As far as I am concerned, Couturier does not even belong in the same sentence as Schenn right now, specially when you take into account the fact that he plays 4th line while Schenn was playing 2nd-3rd line in his short stint.

Schenn might have been NHL ready according to some, but he is nowhere as ready as Couturier is.

Schenn played 4 games, away from his natural position, in the streak of games where the whole freaking team sucked big time. Great sample size.

Couturier has been great, but you dont need to beat Schenn with a ****ing billy club because of that. You just sound like a fairweather Flyers fan with a short memory

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:19 PM
BrianSTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post

Schenn played 4 games, away from his natural position, in the streak of games where the whole freaking team sucked big time. Great sample size.

Couturier has been great, but you dont need to beat Schenn with a ****ing billy club because of that. You just sound like a fairweather Flyers fan with a short memory
As a Jet fan, I am jealous you guys picked up Couturier. I thought he fell WAY TOO far in the draft, but good for you guys. I just hope he gets a chance to play on a scoring line. Five goals playing on the third and fourth lines!! Incredible.

BrianSTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:49 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

i, in no way, think they should trade schenn.

the only reason i think that he may be available as a possible trade piece is if we are able to get a young, potential #1 defenseman in return, which is a much bigger need at this moment. especially with the emergence of sean couturier.

however, short of anything less than a young defenseman with the same amount of potential as schenn, to me is out of the question.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:36 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
If you can use a strength (forwards, particularly centers) to acquire a weakness (young defenseman), why would you not do that?

Brayden Schenn isn't being thrown around as some throw-in in trades... he's being bandied about as the centerpiece for a #1 defenseman. And rightfully so.

We have 3 centers for our 3 top lines Giroux-Briere-Couturier.

Obviously we can and will make room for Schenn if need be, but if you can get good value for him and improve the team in doing so, don't you have to explore that?

I think you're biased based on your avatar (big picture of Brayden Schenn), but still, I don't know why you're so angry about the trade proposals... it's just an attempt by our fans to improve the team. And many fans agree that a young #1 defenseman would be more valuable to the team than another top-9 center.

And that's not a knock on Schenn. The fact that Schenn might be able to fetch a #1 D proves that special things are expected out of him. It's not about his talent or how he played when he was up here (I actually think he looked really good... he was fast, created lots of chances, etc.) It's just about an efficient allocation of the team's resources.
I know its been addressed since I made this post but I'm assuming you enjoy having 3 top flight centers. Briere is getting older in 2-3 years when Schenn and maybe even Couturier are hitting their stride Briere will be on the decline. Giroux will be 25 in the prime of his career. We will have one of if not the best 1-2-3 Center combo in the league.

I'm no more biased towards Schenn then I would be if I picked Couturier as an avy. I understand both their values as well as team needs. If we are trading someone I don't want to give up Schenn or Couturier I'm more then satisfied moving Coburn or Carle with Bob to a team that needs a top 4 D and a Goalie now for a nice bluechip prospect on D who can fill a bottom pairing role this year and can step up in the next coming years.

We also have our 1st for this year coming up which is very strong in Defensemen in the 1st round, as well as Florida's 2nd, LA's 2nd and our own 2nd. I think people are panicking over the current state of our Defense without Pronger in the lineup and thats to be expected. Pronger was always the be all end all this year and so faar since hes been out we have faired well even without him. We are still 2nd in the Division behind a Pit team that is playing out of its mind. Ahead of a NYR team that thought they were going to walk all over the division with their shiny new toy, a NYI team thats another year older in their development, and a NJ team that is struggling with injuries which seems to be the case every year recently.

We were expecting to be a bubble team this year and I think people got excited after the start we had. I think blame is unfairly dolled out to Schenn because when he came up our team as a whole started playing like crap. He needs to be in the NHL this year.

Last edited by PALE PWNR: 11-07-2011 at 01:53 PM.
PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:58 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
I know its been addressed since I made this post but I'm assuming you enjoy having 3 top flight centers. Briere is getting older in 2-3 years when Schenn and maybe even Couturier are hitting their stride Briere will be on the decline. Giroux will be 25 in the prime of his career. We will have one of if not the best 1-2-3 Center combo in the league.

I'm no more biased towards Schenn then I would be if I picked Couturier as an avy. I understand both their values as well as team needs. If we are trading someone I don't want to give up Schenn or Couturier I'm more then satisfied moving Coburn or Carle with Bob to a team that needs a top 4 D and a Goalie now for a nice bluechip prospect on D who can fill a bottom pairing role this year and can step up in the next coming years.

We also have our 1st for this year coming up which is very strong in Defensemen in the 1st round, as well as Florida's 2nd and our own 2nd. I think people are panicking over the current state of our Defense without Pronger in the lineup and thats to be expected. Pronger was always the be all end all this year and so faar since hes been out we have faired well even without him. We are still 2nd in the Division behind a Pit team that is playing out of its mind. Ahead of a NYR team that thought they were going to walk all over the division with their shiny new toy, a NYI team thats another year older in their development, and a NJ team that is struggling with injuries which seems to be the case every year recently.

We were expecting to be a bubble team this year and I think people got excited after the start we had. I think blame is unfairly dolled out to Schenn because when he came up our team as a whole started playing like crap. He needs to be in the NHL this year.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally don't want a trade of Top 4 + Bob for bluechip prospect because I think we are contenders this year and our defense would take a hit.

From the beginning of camp, I wasn't looking @ this team as a bubble team and I'm still not. Our defense is the same as last year, our goaltending is much improved, and I think our offense is deeper and more cohesive too. The only area we lost anything was the defensive ability of our forwards, but the gains more than compensate for that.

There's no reason this team can't contend right now. We were seen as the favorites last season and we've pretty obviously gotten better... the only reason people looked @ us as a bubble team and continue to do so is because we're young and we lost 2 big name guys (and many people are still salty about that loss).

But if you look @ this team objectively, we've got as good a shot as anyone in the East... except for maybe the Caps, they're prob the favorite.

At any rate, any moves we make should improve the team for now and for the future.

Old
11-07-2011, 02:11 PM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post

You easily discard the training camp in the process where Schenn was sent down for reason.

I have no doubt that Schenn has potential but he has not proven anything at the NHL level just yet.
AHL is AHL where players have great careers but some never graduate at the following level.

I don't pretend that it is Schenn's case, but I have to admit that he is not a complete player just yet....seasoning could possibly be necessary.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:17 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
That's not true.

Yea, you think so highly of a 20 year old with amazing potential that you're willing to just trade him like that. Makes perfect sense to me now.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote