HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

****************** Refs! Rangers win 5-3.

Old
11-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Good effort, no break from the refs, some penalities were deserved, others not, and the refs missed some call on the other side.. frustrating game..

Also, I dont get the love for Desharnais, some are saying he has super vision but thats really nothing to write about, especially for a such small overmatched player with no speed.. His passes lack accuracy, too many times its in the skate of a linemates or guys have to slow down to get it.. Marginal NHLer to say the least.. Leblanc will have no prob to outplay him next camp..
That is an exciting thought.

Although I like DD the man... and he will only get better too.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Andy

aside from the Plekanec hooking where Callahan held his stick were and the Blunden interference(the too many men was a good call), all the habs penalties were penalties.

What bugged me was not the we were penalized, but that we were the only team that was penalized. If you are going to be strict, be strict for both teams. The rangers got away with a lot yesterday, while the habs were on a leash that was non-existent.

The habs didn't help their case by being undisciplined, but the refs definitely influenced the game by making sure the calls were only made on one side.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:54 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Not a chance, i saw him on the south shore at practise this week, he is barely 175-180. And 5'11, in high heels maybe.
I lie what I see from Diaz, he really isnt supposed to be playing in the majors. The plan was for him to be in Hamilton, its a pretty big leap IMHO and hes doing well considering the circumstances.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaix View Post
That says it all...

Excluding 2 fights:

01:24 MTL Max Pacioretty : Boarding - 2 min
04:18 MTL Mathieu Darche : Too many men/ice - bench - 2 min
04:18 MTL Mike Blunden served by Andrei Kostitsyn : Interference - 2 min
04:18 MTL Petteri Nokelainen : Game misconduct - 0 min
04:18 MTL Hal Gill : Roughing - 2 min
08:21 MTL David Desharnais : Hooking - 2 min
10:48 MTL David Desharnais : Tripping - 2 min
00:45 MTL Tomas Plekanec : Hooking - 2 min
08:17 MTL Brian Gionta : Hi-sticking - 2 min
14:56 MTL Yannick Weber : Hi-sticking - 2 min
13:19 MTL P.K. Subban : Unsportsmanlike conduct - 2 min

TOTAL PIM: 20

10:40 NYR Ryan McDonagh : Holding - 2 min
11:48 NYR Henrik Lundqvist served by Ruslan Fedotenko : Holding - 2 min
04:18 NYR Michael Sauer : Game misconduct - 0 min
04:18 NYR Brandon Dubinsky : Roughing - 2 min

TOTAL PIM: 6
I still don't understand that one.

Ollie Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 02:08 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
aside from the Plekanec hooking where Callahan held his stick were and the Blunden interference(the too many men was a good call), all the habs penalties were penalties.

What bugged me was not the we were penalized, but that we were the only team that was penalized. If you are going to be strict, be strict for both teams. The rangers got away with a lot yesterday, while the habs were on a leash that was non-existent.

The habs didn't help their case by being undisciplined, but the refs definitely influenced the game by making sure the calls were only made on one side.

Exactly.. Most of the Habs penalties were deserved but the refs just turned a blind eye when the Rags did the same thing a Hab was called for.. If your gonna make borderline calls against 1 team atleast call it against both..

Callahan should have received 2 for instigating, 5 for fighting and a game misconduct for starting that whole scrum in the 1st..

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Not a chance, i saw him on the south shore at practise this week, he is barely 175-180. And 5'11, in high heels maybe.
That's possible I need to take your words on this one, because it wouldn't be the first NHL player that would be smaller than their listing. I remember seeing Sergei Kostitsyn at a Quebec Remparts game and the guy isn't 6'0. I also remember an interview with Stephan Lebeau and he was saying that when he got mesured he put a puck under each of his foot and that his real height was 5'8 instead of his 5'10 listing.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 02:34 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
I still don't understand that one.
According to the NHL recap: " he was also called for interference for engaging Dubinsky immediately after leaving the bench."

Which neatly doesn't mention the fact that that's not actually in the rulebook. By the rulebook this is not an inteference penalty, it would be too many men on the ice.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 04:40 PM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
How players can keep their cool and not punch a ref when games like this happen is beyond me.. Credit to the Habs for not quitting when everything possible went wrong for them tonight.
Same as the playoffs two years ago!

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:07 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
That's possible I need to take your words on this one, because it wouldn't be the first NHL player that would be smaller than their listing. I remember seeing Sergei Kostitsyn at a Quebec Remparts game and the guy isn't 6'0. I also remember an interview with Stephan Lebeau and he was saying that when he got mesured he put a puck under each of his foot and that his real height was 5'8 instead of his 5'10 listing.
I've met Sergei many times. 5'10" is fairly accurate.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:01 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
considering all the ******** penalties, overtaxing players because of the PK and 2 games in 2 nights, result isnt that horrendous
We lost.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Teufelsdreck

I assumed the officials were going to call more penalties on the Rangers when they had their conference. I couldn't believe the announcement. After the score got to 3-0 the Habs seemed to be in a hopeless situation and were about to be routed but they fought back to only a one goal deficit in the second period. The Rangers were handed the game but will get their just deserts sooner or later. The night went badly for the Habs in other arenas. Most of their competitors in the East either won or got an OT point.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:10 AM
number 11

like it or not, subban is a **** disturber and it isn't going to help him with the refs. most other players wouldn't have been called for snowing the goalie but this one was a reputation call.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

This game...I can't stand how the refs tries to control the game, the play, these days. To them, to Hell with the game, the rules are God. Even though they are human and 50% of their decisions are wrong. So they spend the game calling stuff like a fox hunter shooting foxes over and over and you get something that looks like a horror show.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:16 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
We lost.
U cant win them all u know

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Gary320

Was at the game, on most occasions the fans were just unclassy idiots. Other times, they were normal idiots. USA chants, booing the national anthem for Canada... atleast in our zone. Telling some Habs fans to go back home. My girlfriend was having a field day with it, she is a huge fan and she had more guts then me.. during the introduction, Rangers came out and she booed the hell out of them, then chanting Go Habs Go when we came out.. being louder than the Rangers fan infront of us. Atleast that was fun.

Worst part of the evening was witnessing the whole crowd go bezerk for the fight, and then seeing a man hugging his kid directly after. The fight got a bigger reaction than any of the goals scored.. it was real odd.

Also while everyone was leaving, there was a Scott Gomez chant going down the stairs. That was pretty hilarious.

Every city has it's idiots.. that's pretty much what I'm trying to say. Everyone paints a bad image about Montreal, but there are worse cities out there.. and I've been to enough Habs game (I was at the Boston one) to see that we are not as bad as they are.

as for the game it self, I would say that most of the calls on us were justified, but most of them were also very strict.. and Rangers getting away with some was also a bit odd. Either way, I think for a large portion we were not that great.. but that also doesnt help when you play half the game on the penalty kill.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Bryson

Could have really used Lapierre in this game.

Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:19 PM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Worst part of the evening was witnessing the whole crowd go bezerk for the fight, and then seeing a man hugging his kid directly after. The fight got a bigger reaction than any of the goals scored.. it was real odd.
I recently wrote a 2,000 word term paper on the culture of hockey in my cultural studies class. I spent at least 750 words bashing this culture, the culture that appreciated violence in the sport more than it does the actual sport. Really sad.

76ftw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Iyathurai
Still missing Saku:(

Send a message via MSN to Iyathurai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Could have really used Lapierre in this game.

hey that was a linesman, poor guy

Iyathurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
I recently wrote a 2,000 word term paper on the culture of hockey in my cultural studies class. I spent at least 750 words bashing this culture, the culture that appreciated violence in the sport more than it does the actual sport. Really sad.
It's awful. I'm not taking a side that violence has no importance to hockey. Even though I feel these days.. fights have become more and more staged. But when it gets to a point that fans would rather see fights then scoring.. it's pathetic, seems like savages.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Bloumeister
Live And Let Dye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Are you Pasquale Mangiola?

Bloumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:58 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
He passed me by at Globe once, I'd say your estimate would be pretty close to my own.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:01 PM
habs73

kerry frasers take

as everyone has been pointing out, the refs ###t the bed on the 5-3 call for the Rangers.

Here is Kerry's take on tsn website

When a dust up like this happened to me on the ice I always did my best to subscribe to the K.I.S.S. theory (keep it simple stupid) to get the game going as quickly and efficiently as possible. There's no sugarcoating this one.

This is my penalty assessment on the play after watching the entire episode:

MTL: 2-Minute Bench Minor Penalty - Too Many Men on the Ice
MTL: Mike Blunden - 5 Minutes Fighting
NYR: Ryan Callahan - 2 Minutes Instigating + 5 Minutes Fighting + 10 minutes misconduct
NYR: Brandon Dubinsky – 2 Minutes Roughing
MTL: Hal Gill - 2 Minutes Roughing
MTL: Petteri Nokelainen – 5 Minutes Fighting + Game Misconduct (secondary altercation)
NYR: Michael Sauer - 5 Minutes Fighting + Game Misconduct (secondary altercation)

Montreal would then place a man in the penalty box to serve the bench minor and New York would have the option to place a man in the box to serve Ryan Callahan's minor or the logical move would be to have Brandon Dubinsky serve his minor on the clock so as not to sacrifice another player in the box when cancelling out the coincident major and minor penalties. The teams would play 4 on 4 (Not 5 on 3...)

Clearly Montreal had Too Many Men on the ice when Mike Blunden came onto the ice and made body contact with Brandon Dubinsky while Blunden's retiring teammate was still physically on the ice. (Rule 74.1 - If in the course of making a substitution, either the player entering the game or the player retiring from the ice surface plays the puck with his stick, skates or hands or who checks or makes any physical contact with an opposing player while either the player entering the game or the retiring player is actually on the ice, then the infraction of "too many men on the ice" will be called.)

Dubinsky clearly had received the puck on the stretch pass and would be deemed in possession; therefore the check that was put on him by Blunden could not be deemed "interference". The contact was a perfectly administered body check (shoulder to chest) and would have been deemed legal save for the fact that Montreal had six skaters on the ice.

habs73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Protest the Hero

I just don't see how two referees can miss an instigator penalty, you can argue the fact that one ref has a bias, and I'm not even sure who called the interference penalty, but there's no way both of them could miss Callahan initiating that fight after a hit where Dubinsky is clearly not injured.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote