HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

Old
11-07-2011, 01:14 PM
bluechipbonzo

vCash: 500
Strome's IQ is extremely high...just another reason to have taken him in the draft.

He outscored everyone of significance that the Sens had in camp this summer...and with the way the Islanders weigh intelligence in their drafting, it was no surprise.

Oh, yeah...kid's pretty good with the puck too.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Bounbi

So if it's not the size, the grit, the IQ, the puckhandling, the lack of high end talent, what's the knock on him?

Why isn't he more hyped?

Bounbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounbi View Post
So if it's not the size, the grit, the IQ, the puckhandling, the lack of high end talent, what's the knock on him?

Why isn't he more hyped?
Bringing it every night was a supposed knock... there'd be tons of hype if he belonged to a Canadian team or any other team with large outspoken fan bases.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounbi View Post

Why isn't he more hyped?
Because he was drafted by the Islanders.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Puckgenius*

Ryan Strome potential

Whats his potential? Does he have #1 centre potential?

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:34 PM
shello
@WShello9

I don't think its out of reach, he's insane. But a second line centre is much more of a certainty. Being switched to the wing is also a possiblity.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Absolutely. Could be the next Doug Weight. But. That said, it's still potential and not fact.

12-26-2011, 02:36 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

They don't really need him to be, they just need him to be a #2 center behind Tavares, and I think he's got the potential to get there. 50-60 points a season, maybe a couple up in the 70s, but nothing that blows anyone away. On some teams, that'd be a #1 center, but I doubt it on the Isles.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Beesfan

I don't see superstar potential in Strome, but he seems like a real sure-bet to be a very good player.

I think he will either be one of the better second line centers in the league (~75 points), or he will be a good first line winger to Tavares, ala Simon Gagne in his prime.

Personally, I think New York should send him back for his final year of juniors next year. Can't be too safe, especially considering what happened to Josh Bailey.

Beesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 04:56 PM
StrongIslanders90

Id sign up for a 60-65 pts a year as the second line center.....People think he will be good on Tavares wig but I dont see the Isles doing that

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:43 PM
OilerOlli*

I see him more as a future #2 C. A slightly better Sam Gagner is his potential, imo.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:24 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

i see him as a first line RW. To good for line 2, but no way in hell he takes #1 center with taveras around

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
i see him as a first line RW. To good for line 2, but no way in hell he takes #1 center with taveras around
Right here, mix Strome's speed with Tavares' lack of speed but amazing hockey IQ, should see some magic soon in the Islanders...just need these damn prospects to develop and STAY there.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Minister of Offence

JTs wing.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:49 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
The Isles really need to develop him properly, but seeing the way they handle most of their prospects I think he will be in the NHL next season. Hopefully not though.

With the way they are playing they could end up with a line of Yakupov-Tavares-Strome.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Aznguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
The Isles really need to develop him properly, but seeing the way they handle most of their prospects I think he will be in the NHL next season. Hopefully not though.

With the way they are playing they could end up with a line of Yakupov-Tavares-Strome.
That would probably be the most talented line in the NHL

Aznguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:05 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznguy View Post
That would probably be the most talented line in the NHL
Not after Wang is done screwing them up. He's already destroying Tavares' developmental years by forcing him to play with bottom 6 wings and one top 4 defenseman per shift, next he will rush Strome up before he is physically ready for the bigger bods, and Yak he will probably find out signed a contract with a KHL club for the next ten years.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:18 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Always positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
I don't see superstar potential in Strome, but he seems like a real sure-bet to be a very good player.

I think he will either be one of the better second line centers in the league (~75 points), or he will be a good first line winger to Tavares, ala Simon Gagne in his prime.

Personally, I think New York should send him back for his final year of juniors next year. Can't be too safe, especially considering what happened to Josh Bailey.
75 Points as a second line center?

how many first liners even get that many?

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:49 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
I see him more as a future #2 C. A slightly better Sam Gagner is his potential, imo.
I'll be very disappointed if Strome becomes a slightly better Gagner.

Good for 40-45 pts,while providing weak defense and crappy face off numbers.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:59 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post

Since foolishly rushing Bailey in 2008,which NYI prospect do you feel was rushed?

2009-Tavares made the team.De Haan was sent back to juniors and is in th AHL now.

2010-Nino went back to juniors,Kabanov went to juniors and Nelson to college.Nino is on the NYI roster this season.Many fans do think Nino should be back in juniors.

2011-Strome was sent back to juniors.Since he is physically small,I find it hard to believe he'd be kept over prospects who have added weight,developed wellsince being drafted like Kabanov/Ullstrom.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:42 AM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Since foolishly rushing Bailey in 2008,which NYI prospect do you feel was rushed?

2009-Tavares made the team.De Haan was sent back to juniors and is in th AHL now.

2010-Nino went back to juniors,Kabanov went to juniors and Nelson to college.Nino is on the NYI roster this season.Many fans do think Nino should be back in juniors.

2011-Strome was sent back to juniors.Since he is physically small,I find it hard to believe he'd be kept over prospects who have added weight,developed wellsince being drafted like Kabanov/Ullstrom.
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word rushed, I feel mishandled would be the proper word for it. Nino in my opinion is being extremely mishandled this year, do you feel he is ready? Because I really don't, and it doesn't help that he is getting very limited ice time on the 3rd-4th line. He could be playing as the star for the Swiss at the WJC right now, and playing top line minutes for Portland right now. I wouldn't mind him staying in the NHL this season, but I feel he is not being given the proper ice time to rapidly develop.

He is really the biggest prospect that comes to my mind outside of Bailey, but he is a big kid and may end up alright, I just do not want to see Strome on this roster next season because in all likelihood he will still be too small and won't be 100% ready yet.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:48 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Right here, mix Strome's speed with Tavares' lack of speed but amazing hockey IQ, should see some magic soon in the Islanders...just need these damn prospects to develop and STAY there.
bass ackwards.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:05 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
JT does not really lack speed....Hes not slow and hes not going to fly by anyone.....His strides are much better and stronger....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:15 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
bass ackwards.
Strome isn't slow either.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote