HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Enough of Boyle Getting 3rd Line Minutes Already...

Old
11-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
He's a streaky 4th line center who caught lighting in a bottle last year. He's not breaking the bank, is good on the PK, and is well liked in the room. Nothing wrong with what he's bringing to the table right now.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:40 AM
The Mouth

it's always something. people get hot and cold during a season, . ranger fans have a hard time being happy. enjoy the moment.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Dissatisfied with thread

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:50 AM
HockeyBurd*

He pretty much has been the worst forward this season. And he is getting way to many minutes. But that won't go on all season long. I'm sure Tortorella is giving him the benefit of the doubt. Dubinsky should be on the 4th line as well if we're going to obsess about production at this point.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
He is paid the correct amount for what he brings, and yes, ideally he is a 4th line center. Reason he is playing 3rd line minutes with Prust and Feds? Not his fault, Zuccarello, Wolski, Christensen, Stepan, all of these guys got off to really slow starts and pushed them back up.

We're winning. If we go on a 4 game losing streak i'll worry about guys roles on this roster. For now...

11-07-2011, 08:57 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Take it from Scotty:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sct=nhl_bf3_a3

11-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

my issue with boyle is just that we should have looked to shop him this offseason...there were a handful of us who wanted to see what we could get for him. his value was very high, and most of us could see a huge crash back down to earth right on the horizon.

was there a market for him? who knows, but id like to think so.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

How do we know the rangers didn't shop him and the return wasn't enougn? Are we supposed to think that the GM's weren't thinking the same thing that many posters suspected about Boyle?

Im fairly certain people are going to start harping on Dubinsky too because to some misguided fans points are the only way to judge players.

Boyle has been fine. He hasn't been great and he hasn't been terrible.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
How do we know the rangers didn't shop him and the return wasn't enougn? Are we supposed to think that the GM's weren't thinking the same thing that many posters suspected about Boyle?

Im fairly certain people are going to start harping on Dubinsky too because to some misguided fans points are the only way to judge players.

Boyle has been fine. He hasn't been great and he hasn't been terrible.
I'm sure if the return was right, Sather would have pulled the trigger. It's not like he was going to bring back a legit top 6. Everyone in the league knows what he is.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:49 AM
bluecollarblueshirt*

damn stop hating on boyle he plays fine given what he's told to do. torts changed it up on him this year and he's learning to accept the role. get over it boyles aces in my book

bluecollarblueshirt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:00 AM
tjs252

He's not getting silly minutes, he's serving his purpose and I'm fine with him. A big center who's pretty decent at going to the net and creating chances has value in the bottom 6, which is where he is.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:19 AM
gotmonte

LOL. You have a split decision I see.

50% of the fans bellyache how badly Boyle is and how slow he is and how he couldnt pot a goal for the life of him and how badly he is with hitting and cycling.

50% of the fans tell you he has above average skating, above average hands and can cycle with the best of them.

LOL.

only in New York

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:31 AM
kovazub94

What a bad timing for this thread.

Again, if everyone was healthy then the whole line becames our 4th with PK time added. But Wolski is hurt and Anisimov is coming around with better play on the 2nd (or 1st?) line LW. What options are there that better than a line that is fine defensively and creates chances on offense? I agree that he looks like there is something wrong with him physically - his hands (no power on a shot and two often puck misses his stick) but there are no other options available.

And as far as trades goes - other teams GMs are not idiots to give up more than what Sather gave up to get Boyle. This is not a fantasy league / computer game.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:40 AM
OverTheCap

Joe mentioned during Saturday's game that Fedotenko said his line wasn't as effective as they were last year, in terms of forechecking, cycling, and getting the puck out of their own zone. He's right and Boyle is part of the reason they haven't looked as good. It's not really the lack of offense that is Boyle's problem, but it seems like his defense has dropped off a little and his skating has regressed. I actually think his physicality has been fine (although he does fall down a lot after getting pushed by players half his size, but I think this is a skating issue more than anything).

Boyle's not the only one to blame on that line, both him and Prust have been making their fair share of boneheaded mistakes this season. Not getting the puck deep, turning over the puck in their own zone, etc. They need to be playing smarter hockey.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Vitto79

Is he overpaid , yea likely because of last yr but he does serve a purpose and when he's on the ice I am confident in the Feds, Boyle, Prust line.

They grind and serve their role. Boyle is a good Pker

Not sure why everyone has to bash players especially 12 games in

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:28 AM
lbrowne

I seriously would throw him in front of the net for powerplays and tell him if he doesn't swing madly at loose pucks down low he'll be removed from the PP.

A guy with that size simply has to have some effect down there. Even if it were just simple screens on the goalie... give it a shot.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:32 AM
SRTtoZ

He's not a great player...he had sort of a fluke year scoring as many goals as he did last year. If you watch him game by game, you can tell he has no hockey sense....the dude is a 4th liner who is big and can protect other players, nothing more, nothing less.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Really pathetic how this board needs a scapegoat even when we're winning.

He's a 4th line center who is decent to good on draws, PKs, and is good in the room.
The nail hit squarely on the head.

Boyle is a valuable player for this team. Comedy relief. Some time later this season we will be recalling and mocking this thread.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:41 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1983 View Post
I hate to rant during such a nice winning streak, but enough is enough of him.

Last year he averaged around 17 minutes a game from the second half on, this year he's averaging about 15 minutes. The past 47 games he has 4 goals. A guy getting that much ice time has 4 goals and 9 points.

Moving past his complete lack of production, watching him closely this season he seriously lacks any type of hockey sense. No hockey IQ at all displayed on the ice. A guy could be open on this right side and he will force a pass to his left that is picked off. A guy could be open right next to him and he will slam it hard around the boards to nobody. Additionally he has so much trouble figuring out how to pressure the points while on the PK which cost us the Isles game a few weeks back. He was decent on the PK last season which confuses me how all of a sudden he has trouble this year.

His physical play has been pretty much nothing, and I don't think there is any Ranger this season that has been knocked down more then him.

Frankly, i'm tired of watching him get so much ice time to do nothing. I don't care who they move up to the 3rd line, but Boyle should be moved down and be playing no more then 10 minutes a game. He had a nice little streak early last season, and since then he's reverted back to a average 4th line player. Dubinsky might be struggling as well, but with him you still see him making smart plays and coming close. You don't see any of that from Boyle, or very rarely.

I know i am not alone in this assessment of Boyle since their are a ton of knowledgeable posters on this site.
i stopped reading at no hockey iq...what has he done so terribly wrong to justify you saying that? did you make it to the nhl? is there something you can do better? the guy gets the minutes because he plays a hard nosed game, is big, can skate well, and is tough..he hasnt hurt the team this year. he makes pennies compared to what other players make and he does a sufficient job on the ice. i dont care about his point totals i care about winning. saturday night against montreal towards the end of the game it was his line who kep the opposition pinned behind the net with cycle game. that helps win games.

yawn at another pointless rant and in the middle of a WINNING STREAK too

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:23 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

I've been saying it all season, Boyle and Prust are fourth liners being treated like 3rd liners by this coach.

Last season a ton of posters were saying how they were part of the core and I felt in the minority saying that they were great role players. Last night a shift stood out to me where the Feds - Boyle- Prust line held the puck below the Winnipeg goal line for a good 30 seconds, and did nothing with it. It reminded me exactly of what Betts and Ortmeyer did in their time here, and they were used accordingly on the fourth line.

I don't want the guys gone because they are important pieces of this team, I just want them used the right way.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:44 PM
kovazub94

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I've been saying it all season, Boyle and Prust are fourth liners being treated like 3rd liners by this coach.

Last season a ton of posters were saying how they were part of the core and I felt in the minority saying that they were great role players. Last night a shift stood out to me where the Feds - Boyle- Prust line held the puck below the Winnipeg goal line for a good 30 seconds, and did nothing with it. It reminded me exactly of what Betts and Ortmeyer did in their time here, and they were used accordingly on the fourth line.

I don't want the guys gone because they are important pieces of this team, I just want them used the right way.
Once again, agree with you but you're now overdoing it (seems it's in every one of your posts). Got to wait for Wolski to return and if they continue to not produce - they are going to start getting less ES minutes.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

Betts and Ortmeyer were nowhere near the talent level of Prust and Boyle.

And role players can be part of the core.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
This isn't fantasy hockey. Real life teams don't trade guys on a hot streak to try to maximize their value.
No, they let them go and let another foolish team sign them for more money then they are worth.

Wisniewski 30 points in 43 games last year and... Canadiens let him go.

Buffalo with Drury after two back to back 30+ goal years and letting him go after a 37 goal season.

These players had put up decent season previously but on their really big year, their previous teams let them go. Just two examples there are many many more that I just don't have the time to go find.

Granted Boyles contract is not as monstrous but the principle is similar.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

This thread is ridiculous. As well as being neurotic and grossly myopic.

Slumps happen. Players rebound and get past them. That's the way it has always been. Boyle is struggling (as is Dubi) and when you're struggling ....not much you do looks smart or smooth.

That's the way it has always been. Long before EA video game hockey and fantasy hockdey (same thing), there was real world hockey. Some of you guys should check it out some time. It's groovey.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Really pathetic how this board needs a scapegoat even when we're winning.

He's a 4th line center who is decent to good on draws, PKs, and is good in the room.
Who the hell's scapegoating here? We can't have constructive criticism around here? Do we have to kiss everyone's rear end?

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote