HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enough of Boyle Getting 3rd Line Minutes Already...

Old
11-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
The nail hit squarely on the head.

Boyle is a valuable player for this team. Comedy relief. Some time later this season we will be recalling and mocking this thread.
Yup, this thread is ridiculous. Boyle will probably never be the problem for this team and probably will never be the solution. He's a 3rd line player who is useful. To many fans JUST judge players by the box score and nothing else. It's like they don't even watch the games....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
This thread is ridiculous. As well as being neurotic and grossly myopic.

Slumps happen. Players rebound and get past them. That's the way it has always been. Boyle is struggling (as is Dubi) and when you're struggling ....not much you do looks smart or smooth.

That's the way it has always been. Long before EA video game hockey and fantasy hockdey (same thing), there was real world hockey. Some of you guys should check it out some time. It's groovey.
If you're calling Boyle's production a slump you're silly..If that's the case he's been in a slump since entering the NHL...People need to realize last year was an abiration, not a sign of things to come. He's a 4th line center, a role player who's expendable and are a dime a dozen floating around the NHL and AHL...People grow to attached to players like Boyle, I'm sure he's a great guy, but I'd replace him in a heartbeat if it makes my team better..

Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Giacomin

I think Brian Boyle fits nicely with this Rangers team. It seems like there is some chemistry here.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
If you're calling Boyle's production a slump you're silly..If that's the case he's been in a slump since entering the NHL...People need to realize last year was an abiration, not a sign of things to come. He's a 4th line center, a role player who's expendable and are a dime a dozen floating around the NHL and AHL...People grow to attached to players like Boyle, I'm sure he's a great guy, but I'd replace him in a heartbeat if it makes my team better..
Well 4th line players are certainly a dime a dozen, but there are not many 4th line players that are

A) 6 foot 7 inches tall and Boyle's weight, while still being even remotely mobile

and

B) Only one season removed from a 22 goal campaign

we can't dismiss last season as a fluke 13 games in. There are plenty of unskilled players capable of potting 20, and if Boyle turns out to be a 10 goal guy, he is worth keeping.

11-07-2011, 02:54 PM
ThirdEye

I think a lot of people are missing the point. It's not that Boyle isn't a useful player at times, it's that he's getting way too much ice time for what he's bringing right now. Like mentioned, he has like 9 points in his last 45+ games and he's still somehow getting 14-15 minutes a game. He's not that physical, not that great defensively, and not very good offensively. He's been putting up a point every 90 minutes of ice time this season... that's horrible, plain and simple. The next worst producer (excluding d-men) is Dubinsky, and even he's producing at twice the pace. Tortorella must have a huge crush on him, because there is no other player on this team that has gotten so much ice time for so little production.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:55 PM
rholt168
Hank**3

He also a pretty pass to Prust on a short handed goal earlier in the season. He's young, has shown glimpses of talent, plays well on the PK and can win faceoffs. Is he anything more than a 4th liner? Probably not. But, to give up on him is silly.

rholt168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Who are we recommending giving Boyle's minutes to, though?

His line has some chemistry, for one.

Anisimov is on the Gaborik line
Stepan is on the Gaborik line

Most of you hate Christensen
Deveaux is, on his best day, a 4th liner
Avery is not a center

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:00 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by rholt168 View Post
He also a pretty pass to Prust on a short handed goal earlier in the season. He's young, has shown glimpses of talent, plays well on the PK and can win faceoffs. Is he anything more than a 4th liner? Probably not. But, to give up on him is silly.
He's turning 27, he's not that young anymore. It's probably too late to give up on him now because we won't get anything for him. We should have given up on him in the offseason while his value was high

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

when did Boyle become a 4th liner?

I was under the impression our 4th line was Avery - EC - Deveaux

Unless ppl think thats the 3rd line.

Boyle is a 3rd line center. Which means he should be ranked somewhere between 60 and 90 for points scored by Centers. He's ranked 112th.

Thats right smack in the middle of what you would want for an average 4th line center.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:24 PM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Who the hell's scapegoating here? We can't have constructive criticism around here? Do we have to kiss everyone's rear end?
How are threads like these constructive?

Everyone loves to put bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing dmen under the microscope. Boyle has done nothing to fall out of favor with Ranger fans other than come down to earth after overachieving last year.

E Nixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Hockey View Post
How are threads like these constructive?

Everyone loves to put bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing dmen under the microscope. Boyle has done nothing to fall out of favor with Ranger fans other than come down to earth after overachieving last year.
his minutes are not correlated to his offensive production.

id have ZERO problem with his game if he were our 4th line center. that whole line is one of the best 4th lines in the league. as a 3rd line, its mediocre at best.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:03 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
my issue with boyle is just that we should have looked to shop him this offseason.
It's possible that we did, but there weren't any takers. If your average HFBoards poster realized that he played way above his level, I'm pretty sure any NHL GM could solve that equation as well.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Imclaudelemieux

I like him but he gets waaaay too much ice time.

Imclaudelemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Bardof425*

Boyle is not in a slump. He's just a 4th line center who even in his career year had few helpers. The key is to use him as a 4th line center. Give him 4th line minutes and with Prust and whoever we will have a good 4th line. Prust cannot accept a pass; that hurts this line as well.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

I noticed that Torts has had Boyle on for the important face offs. Also note that he played a great deal of minutes at the end of the Habs game.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Well i'm glad most of you can understand the thread. But for those who did not I had to change the title.

He is not a 3rd liner, he is not is a slump, he is just not anything more then a 4th liner that should not be getting 15 minutes of ice time.

I gave many reasons why then there are a few posters who try to bash me and my opinions without even given any type of examples of their own.

And for the few who said "We are in a winning streak and you bring this up?, There is always something, someone has to complain about" or something alone those lines, well what happened if I brought this up on a 4 game losing streak? Then the same people would say "Stop using him as a scapegoat! You only come out to bash someone when we are losing"

I would definitely be content to give EC, Avery, Zuccerello, Hagalin those 15 minutes of ice time and let Boyle work the PK and get 6-8 minutes even strength a night. Its not like Boyle is some sort of great shutdown center either.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:48 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

as many of the avatars say boyle...is a torts kind of guy. torts will continue to play who he wants because he feels boyle is a better player than EC, avery, dev., etc. the team is doing well and boyles inability to score will not be as remarked upon as long as our group of d men are not overexposed. the line is still getting chances, feds had a couple of nice shots, prust rushed a wraparound,even tho boyle had a rubber stick last night we are not in place where you have to find someone to blame. still would like to see avery get more than the odd shift though.

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:56 PM
RiffyNYR61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1983 View Post
Well i'm glad most of you can understand the thread. But for those who did not I had to change the title.

He is not a 3rd liner, he is not is a slump, he is just not anything more then a 4th liner that should not be getting 15 minutes of ice time.

I gave many reasons why then there are a few posters who try to bash me and my opinions without even given any type of examples of their own.

And for the few who said "We are in a winning streak and you bring this up?, There is always something, someone has to complain about" or something alone those lines, well what happened if I brought this up on a 4 game losing streak? Then the same people would say "Stop using him as a scapegoat! You only come out to bash someone when we are losing"

I would definitely be content to give EC, Avery, Zuccerello, Hagalin those 15 minutes of ice time and let Boyle work the PK and get 6-8 minutes even strength a night. Its not like Boyle is some sort of great shutdown center either.
this is among the most dead on posts i have ever read on these boards

RiffyNYR61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Blueshirt Special

Is this a veiled "Avery should get more ice time" thread?

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Is this a veiled "Avery should get more ice time" thread?
Nope. I could care less if Avery was scratched every night or not.

This is about not giving Boyle the minutes he's been getting.

Figured someone would bring that up.

Old
11-07-2011, 05:04 PM
DrAStuart

He's 6'7"...do you want to be the guy who tells him his TOI is going to be cut?

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:18 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
Who are we recommending giving Boyle's minutes to, though?

His line has some chemistry, for one.

Anisimov is on the Gaborik line
Stepan is on the Gaborik line

Most of you hate Christensen
Deveaux is, on his best day, a 4th liner
Avery is not a center
Great post...the silence is astounding

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:22 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1983 View Post

Why should these guys get more of his minutes? Please explain? You say its not about production and point totals, then what is it that these guys offer over what Boyle does? Youth? Scoring? Because what Boyle's ROLE is on this team is to be a big centerman who can play a grind it out game, crash the net, stick up for his teammates, play tough, play the PK, play a good 2-way game moreso on the defensive side of it, all in all using is his big size to his advantage. None of those guys have the size Boyle does. I'm not sure what this guy has been so below average about that you are *****ing and moaning about. The only thing he hasnt done is score in comparison to last year. Yeah Fedotenko mentioned how they needed to work on their forecheck game more but he did not say they have been bad. They just want to be better at it.

The guy has averaged 14 minutes a game because he is on the ice getting those extra shifts when we are ahead on the scoreboard. Not to mention we have taken a lot of penalties thus far this year. Boyle plays on the PK. His ice time also increases from that. He is one of our best PKers, his ice time wont be cut there. There's no reason to cut it in even strength either because if you had read through the thread and saw my earlier post, had you actually watched the game on saturday you'd have no reason to be complaining right now when it was Boyle's line who had montreal pinned in their own end for a good minute, minute and a half with the cycle game towards the end of the 3rd period. He's averaging 14 minutes a game and the team is still scoring goals. Stop complaining just to complain. And I'm not even a huge Boyle advocate like many are here on these boards.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Great post...the silence is astounding
Already replied to a similar question in one of my other posts.

Last edited by Jumbo*: 11-07-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old
11-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Why should these guys get more of his minutes? Please explain? You say its not about production and point totals, then what is it that these guys offer over what Boyle does? Youth? Scoring? Because what Boyle's ROLE is on this team is to be a big centerman who can play a grind it out game, crash the net, stick up for his teammates, play tough, play the PK, play a good 2-way game moreso on the defensive side of it, all in all using is his big size to his advantage. None of those guys have the size Boyle does. I'm not sure what this guy has been so below average about that you are *****ing and moaning about. The only thing he hasnt done is score in comparison to last year. Yeah Fedotenko mentioned how they needed to work on their forecheck game more but he did not say they have been bad. They just want to be better at it.

The guy has averaged 14 minutes a game because he is on the ice getting those extra shifts when we are ahead on the scoreboard. Not to mention we have taken a lot of penalties thus far this year. Boyle plays on the PK. His ice time also increases from that. He is one of our best PKers, his ice time wont be cut there. There's no reason to cut it in even strength either because if you had read through the thread and saw my earlier post, had you actually watched the game on saturday you'd have no reason to be complaining right now when it was Boyle's line who had montreal pinned in their own end for a good minute, minute and a half with the cycle game towards the end of the 3rd period. He's averaging 14 minutes a game and the team is still scoring goals. Stop complaining just to complain. And I'm not even a huge Boyle advocate like many are here on these boards.

4th liners get 8 minutes of ice time. Point of thread, he should get 4th line minutes.

Boyle plays tough? Barely. He certainly doesn't play like the 6'7 giant that he is.

Im glad you brought up all those great traits Boyle does, GRIND. Thats about it. And what is the job of a 4th liner usually, i believe that's grind and not put up much offense.

Look, Boyle is a a nice player to have, all i am saying is that he gets a little too much ice time for my liking, didn't mean for this to turn into the debate of the century

Last edited by Jumbo*: 11-07-2011 at 06:46 PM.