HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Filatov recalled/sent down thread (Called Up, Nov 26)

Old
11-07-2011, 03:04 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

vCash: 500
I'm not a fan of playing top end prospects 8 minutes a game or less so this makes a whole lot of sense. Let him dominate the AHL and build his confidence. At 21 there's still a lot that Niki can learn playing in the minors.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:06 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
All things considered, I can't see us just letting him walk as a restricted free agent, without a qualifying offer.
Absolutely. If he went and Raduloved it up in the KHL, we'd want to still hold his rights if he ever decided to return to the NHL. Asset management.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:08 PM
SensFactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
All things considered, I can't see us just letting him walk as a restricted free agent, without a qualifying offer.
Perhaps, but if he has a chance to walk and play with another team and not their affiliate, then that is definately the more attractive option. If he signs with Ottawa and then is slated back to the AHL next year, I don't see him taking Ottawa's qualifying over. There are another 2 or 3 players that will be competing for a spot next year in the top 6: Zibenajad, Silverburg, and perhaps Stone/Hoffman as well or even a UFA signing this summer.

SensFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:19 PM
JustinYS

vCash: 50
We are nowhere near the midpoint of the season. Lots of time left in the season. Yes, the KHL is always a threat but he seems to be motivated to try to get his game together this year. Who knows how long it could take for his confidence and his game to materialize.

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFactor View Post
Perhaps, but if he has a chance to walk and play with another team and not their affiliate, then that is definately the more attractive option. If he signs with Ottawa and then is slated back to the AHL next year, I don't see him taking Ottawa's qualifying over. There are another 2 or 3 players that will be competing for a spot next year in the top 6: Zibenajad, Silverburg, and perhaps Stone/Hoffman as well or even a UFA signing this summer.
I'm confused - do you mean with a KHL/European team?

I agree that it's going to get interesting with these other guys coming in, but if he works hard in the AHL this year I hope he'll come out of it as a lock for a spot.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:24 PM
senswon

Kid needs minutes. He'll get them in the ahl. Undoing clb mess is gonna take more than the first 3months of the season. Kid is super talented but still needs to learn what it takes to play in the NHL. No big whoop.

senswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:28 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFactor View Post
Perhaps, but if he has a chance to walk and play with another team and not their affiliate, then that is definately the more attractive option. If he signs with Ottawa and then is slated back to the AHL next year, I don't see him taking Ottawa's qualifying offer. There are another 2 or 3 players that will be competing for a spot next year in the top 6: Zibenajad, Silverburg, and perhaps Stone/Hoffman as well or even a UFA signing this summer.
OK, I'm going to preface all this by saying we're strictly in "hypothetical" land, here.

Regardless of how Filatov does this year, next year, whenever... just because he doesn't sign his qualifying offer, it doesn't mean he's all of a sudden free to sign with another North American team. As long as we tender him a qualifying offer, he's ours until he's 27.

If he has a chance to play on another NHL team and not their affiliate, good for him. They can trade us something for him, in such an occasion.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:43 PM
DG

Last time, I thought it was a mistake.

However, having seen him play more this time, I think it was the right move both this time and last time. Maybe they could have given him a shot on the PP a couple times or in the shootout, but he didn't really stand out in the time he had.

Hopefully he has the character to fight to get back here and make an impact.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

should have never been called up.

leave him down there till he explodes (offensively).

up and down is not good

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:54 PM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Bahn Ahden View Post
Pretty spot on assessment.
I would hope so, it was the head coach after all

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Afro Thunder*

They are really testing this guy's patience.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:04 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
They are really testing this guy's patience.
Whose patience are we talking about here... Filatov's or yours?

He'll be fine.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Cujomi
De Leeuw Ziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
should have never been called up.

leave him down there till he explodes (offensively).

up and down is not good
Tough situation with the injuries that we had.

Ultimately it's obvious that he needs some time in the AHL still and there's a lot of things that he needs to work on before he can become a true star (if he can) in the NHL.

There's still a lot of potential there that we hope he can reach.

It's going to be tough on Filatov to make our team next year and each successive year it's going to get tougher with the influx of young talent that we have coming our way. I think he really needs to buckle down this year and show that he deserves to be in the NHL.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Iamok
#Panic

He really needs to stop being so timid along the boards. Obviously it's easy to just say "learn to take a hit," while totally discrediting how much it actually hurts, but it really seems to be a hindrance in his game.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Good

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:59 PM
topshelfie

i thought filatov had his best game so far last game and am surprised he was sent down. i wonder what we are doing with him sometimes though, if he was a former top 6 pick from anywhere other than russia would he be given a better shot than he has? Or is it just as simple as him having some weaknesses in his game that the coach doesn't like.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:44 PM
True Story

Last edited by True Story: 05-04-2012 at 05:42 PM.
True Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Cujomi
De Leeuw Ziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail2012 View Post
Good. He shouldn't have come up in the first place IMO. And I ordered a Filatov heritage jersey.
Risky business. He has a small window of opportunity to break into the Ottawa squad as we have a lot of good talent coming up.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:58 PM
True Story

Last edited by True Story: 05-04-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old
11-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
At this point Fialtov has be realistic and turn his attention from being a top NHL player to just being an affective regular NHL.

Antoine Vermette had 62P in 80GP in his last full season in the AHL. If Filatov can do that and become a 3rd line winger like how Vermette broke in with Ottawa full time to the NHL - Fast, Good Backchecker, Good offensive instincts and can counter-attack well, he would be a great player for us. A 50P, 82GP regualer 3rd/2nd line NHL'er.

Filatov has the skill to be good, but he just hasn't defined what type of player he's going to be or wants to be. He should focus on a role he can do well in Ottawa, take all his skill and speed and hockey smarts and turn himself into that player - a speed winger with skill that can make a 3rd line a great line - like Vermette did for us when he was here.

He doesn't look scrared out there, he just looks lost a little bit.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Exique*
Classless Senatroll

Quote:
Filatov is in the Sens long term plans. In order for that to become a reality, Coach KK has to teach him how to be an NHL player. Ottawa is no place for Filatov right now. If he can't understand that, he will never be an NHL player. Simple as that. You decide Filatov. It's Bingo or KHL(CSKA) for him!
Corrected that one for you

Exique* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:26 PM
True Story

Last edited by True Story: 05-04-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old
11-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Exique*
Classless Senatroll

Quote:
Haha. That works too. That would be considered a bust from Ottawa's perspective. The ball is 100%, in Filatov's court.
Yeah! I hope he stays around and gives his best. KHL is pretty average(would love for it to change, but can't see it happening in near future with the way it's run atm) and IMHO it'd be a bust from his perspective as well. I'd say it's just another option if it doesn't work out.

Exique* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:49 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

This isn't good for his confidence. Leave him down until he is tearing it up and if we bring him up, don't throw him on the third / fourth line and have him play 8 minutes a game.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:40 PM
BK201

you guys need to listen to the scratches interview with the stache today he thinks he's soo young with soo much talent that just needs a little more right now.

he also said filatov will more than likely be recalled again to the sens, then sent down to the A again, and then recalled again and by the third recall to the sens they think he will be ready for the NHL.

Filatov knows what the organizations plans are and i don't think this is hurting his confidence at all they are still high on him but at the same time he is a AHL call up.

BK201 is online now   Reply With Quote