HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 13 vs. Winnipeg Jets

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Artem Anisimov 6 3.73%
Marty Biron 128 79.50%
Brian Boyle 0 0%
Ryan Callahan 4 2.48%
Michael Del Zotto 9 5.59%
Brandon Dubinsky 0 0%
Ruslan Fedotenko 6 3.73%
Marian Gaborik 131 81.37%
Dan Girardi 6 3.73%
Ryan McDonagh 3 1.86%
Brandon Prust 0 0%
Brad Richards 2 1.24%
Michael Sauer 1 0.62%
Derek Stepan 154 95.65%
Other 2 1.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-07-2011, 11:02 AM
NYRangers09

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
100% Agree on the "Shoot it's!" No crowd interaction or chant gets me more annoyed than this. These guys know what they need to do. Let them play thier game. All "Shoot it" does is pressures your OWN players into hasty decisions.

Stepan leveled Burmistrov behind the net,. Later Callahan did the same on an open ice hit. Good to see a good physical game like that. Before this game, I never thought of Burmistrov as a physical player. My hats off to this kid. He's fun to watch.

The Redden : MSG for not showing the replay of Stepans hit on Burmistrov, which ended up in a penalty. We never got to see the replay on it.
There is nothing more frustrating than watching the Powerplay pass and pass and pass with no movement, which we have seen for sooo many years now. Recently it has looked better, but when at the game I still feel like I need to remind them that they have to shoot to score on a Powerplay. In all honesty, the more shots you fire on a PP, the better chance you have to score so telling them to shoot can only help

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:07 AM
kovazub94

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
That's not really that outlandish. Scheinder could (and should) be a starter in this league.
Biron used to be a starter in NHL for a long and he was just fine. He had a great season last year and pick-up this year the same place as where he left off. I'm not saying that Scheider is not capable but calling him the best back up, period is incorrect - Biron is at least worthy of consideration.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers09 View Post
There is nothing more frustrating than watching the Powerplay pass and pass and pass with no movement, which we have seen for sooo many years now. Recently it has looked better, but when at the game I still feel like I need to remind them that they have to shoot to score on a Powerplay. In all honesty, the more shots you fire on a PP, the better chance you have to score so telling them to shoot can only help
Not if a shot goes into an opposing player for a 2 on 1 the other way.

These guys are professionals. They know how to score a lot better than the garden crowd does.

11-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
Biron used to be a starter in NHL for a long and he was just fine. He had great season last year and pick-up this year the same as where he left off. I'm not saying that Scheider is not capable but calling him the best back up, period is incorrect - Biron is at least worthy of consideration.
Well he was the same as he is now; that is incredibly hit-or-miss. All you have to do is look at his history to see that.

Biron is prefect for a backup because he has like 1 atrocious game for every 3 really good ones. But come playoff time you want a starter who can be good every game.

So Biron is much more valuable as a backup than he is as a starter.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Ola

Quote:
Look thats not the case, nor has it ever been.

You cannot just take a shot, I mean if the PKer is in front of you its like 95% certain to get blocked.

You hear people yell for shots when D's gets passes behind them and what not lol.

You can defend alot, but the that yelling just cannot be defended lol. Its a tremendous give away that many in the crowed aren't exactly experts...

If anything, people should yell at these guys to pass the puck around better.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:47 AM
mullichicken25

there are very few things on the face of this planet more ignorant, obnoxious, and annoying than the "shoot it" cries from the garden fans

its flat out embarrassing to be in the building when it happens

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:51 AM
NYR Viper

I just hope the Rangers lock Marty up for 2-3 years after his contract is up. He is the ideal back-up for Hank and he likes playing for the Rangers. Perfect fit for 20-25 games.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:04 PM
kovazub94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
Well he was the same as he is now; that is incredibly hit-or-miss. All you have to do is look at his history to see that.

Biron is prefect for a backup because he has like 1 atrocious game for every 3 really good ones. But come playoff time you want a starter who can be good every game.

So Biron is much more valuable as a backup than he is as a starter.
I'm well aware of Biron's pattern as a starter but my point was that he is good enough to be considered the best NHL back-up goalie.

Old
11-07-2011, 12:36 PM
NYRangers09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Look thats not the case, nor has it ever been.

You cannot just take a shot, I mean if the PKer is in front of you its like 95% certain to get blocked.

You hear people yell for shots when D's gets passes behind them and what not lol.

You can defend alot, but the that yelling just cannot be defended lol. Its a tremendous give away that many in the crowed aren't exactly experts...

If anything, people should yell at these guys to pass the puck around better.
Haha pass better just doesn't roll off the tongue the same way. But you can argue that our PP is very into passing for the perfect shot instead of trying to get pucks to the net with quick one-timers. I don't think thats an impossible argument to make

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I just hope the Rangers lock Marty up for 2-3 years after his contract is up. He is the ideal back-up for Hank and he likes playing for the Rangers. Perfect fit for 20-25 games.
This.

As long as he is willing to sign the kind of contract we gave him last time, I'm all for it. Give him a little bump to $1M and get him signed for 3 years. He likes it here, and doesn't want to move his family. Sounds like a win-win.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:48 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
I'm well aware of Biron's pattern as a starter but my point was that he is good enough to be considered the best NHL back-up goalie.
Who cares? It's not like thats an award you can win or something. He's helping the team and that's all I really care about.

Edit: also, yelling "shoot it!" is not exclusive to Broadway, it happens everywhere.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:52 PM
DrAStuart

I agree that the shouts of "shoot!" that rise up the minute we have the puck on the PP are more than silly -- they demonstrate a lack of knowledge about the game. And, yeah, it happens in a lot of places...but I'm more forgiving of people in Phoenix not knowing anything about hockey...less so in an original six arena...
And I think the guys have demonstrated a greater degree of control over the puck during the PP than last year when it seemed like they rarely got into a position to even think about taking a shot.
But the last couple of games I thought they tended to be a little too static once they got the puck. If there's no shooting lane for anybody then you either have to move or make the other guys move...and that's what hasn't happened enough in the last couple of games.
Still I think they're better in terms of possession and control than they were, but it is clearly still a work in progress. They need to be confident enough to get more creative and to know when to take some calculated chances in order to get a shot or a good rebound.
Watching them the last few games, though, I think it will come...

Of course, if Avery were given PP time then all would be solved, cuz his presence will (it has been reported) solve all of our woes....sorry, couldn't resist :LOL

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:03 PM
mullichicken25

whats ironic is the fact that a big problem with our powerplay is taking bad shots that are blocked or miss the net wich leads to turnovers and the other team getting the puck out of the zone

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:13 PM
kovazub94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
This.

As long as he is willing to sign the kind of contract we gave him last time, I'm all for it. Give him a little bump to $1M and get him signed for 3 years. He likes it here, and doesn't want to move his family. Sounds like a win-win.
It was an over-the-board reaction for his SO by all the Rangers - shows how much he is well liked by all of his teammates. Contract extention should be a no-brainer from the Rangers perspective but I wonder what Biron is thinking (ie. if he wants to try to be a starter in the NHL again).

Old
11-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:18 PM
kovazub94

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Who cares? It's not like thats an award you can win or something. He's helping the team and that's all I really care about.

Who cares? I guess it's not a big deal but have you heard of "recognition by peers"? Biron's been outstanding as the Rangers back up it should be at least acknowledged on the national hockey network.

Old
11-07-2011, 01:28 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Who cares? I guess it's not a big deal but have you heard of "recognition by peers"? Biron's been outstanding as the Rangers back up it should be at least acknowledged on the national hockey network.
My advice to you would then be dont watch any shows or don't read anything from Canadian media if you are looking for people to lap praise on the Rangers.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
About the whole Shoot It thing on the powerplay, it is extremely annoying and unneccesary. They are looking to open up the defense and get the goalie moving around so they can take a high percentage shot.

Also the players can not even hear them screaming at them when they are on the ice. Idk about anyone else, but when I am on the ice I can not hear anything except my teammates.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Oh snap, we got a tie for 2nd star!

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
there are very few things on the face of this planet more ignorant, obnoxious, and annoying than the "shoot it" cries from the garden fans

its flat out embarrassing to be in the building when it happens
Could not possibly agree more.

Generally I'd like to think Rangers fans are pretty educated about hockey. I guess with any group of 17,000 + your gonna get some lunk heads who will just never get it.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:31 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
FWIW, every arena that I've ever been to has had tons of people yelling "Shooooot!" when the home team is on a PP. Doesn't excuse the idiocy, but it's not something unique to our fans.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:51 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Could not possibly agree more.

Generally I'd like to think Rangers fans are pretty educated about hockey. I guess with any group of 17,000 + your gonna get some lunk heads who will just never get it.
Alcohol is probably a culprit as well (not just at MSG, obviously).

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Tanner Glass
Tanner 'C'lass GOAT

I think we should start screaming "Move!" in an attempt to convert idiots

Tanner Glass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

You guys are so uppity if you get on other fans for saying shoot. Most of the time its warranted. Plus we are all tainted from the late 90's early 00's overpassing teams.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Pugs35

I hate the shouting too, but it does seem to happen everywhere.

Do people go to Yankees games and tell Jeter to swing?

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote