On Hockey central they had a different take on things and said that under the rules because it is a step up job BJs may not owe comp to the kings--If I find the link I will post--none of the links I have found work correctly
not saying it is going to happen, but a few talking heads suggest that DL may not have a proper understanding of the situation
i actually heard the Hockey Central crew touch on this in todays broadcast, on the fan 590 sportsnet radio, that "DL wants compensation", and I am quoting Doug Mclean on the show. If anyone doubts me, then tune in and listen to the archived shows, which they post a day later, from the previous day. If you dont have the patience to listen to the whole hour, they touched on it half way through the show.
I am watching Doughty on a nightly basis and after the contract holdup, his questionable personal party life and his subpar last year on the ice I am frusterated at him.
I guess we all need someone to be frusterated at!
My Top 5 reasons for trading DD for Nash. I should also prefix this by saying I am a huge Doughty fan even if frustrated.
1. Johnson doesn't mesh with DD. Its like he gets casterated every time DD is in the lineup. Johnson has the talent to be a top all round Dman.
2. Nash helps anemic offence. How does a team counter a third nasty Star. Who do they double team up front, Kopitar? Nash? Richards? Size, skill, speed, true sniper. 50 goal potential
3. Fills a position of need with a position of weakness
4. Makes Penner expendable
5. Allows Voynov a shot, if he fails - Hickey
GM move of the year, no doubt. And the argumentation is so good, flawless.
This deal is so good:
- We improve our defense by losing Doughty
- We improve our offense by adding Nash
- We can trade Penner for another franchise player.
- The voodoo problem about JJ and DD not working together finally disappears.
- Voynov and Hickey get a shot.
- Since Doughty is away, he will not influence badly the rest of our team with his parties.
- We add grit and proven winner (Nash) instead of a proven lazy loser (Doughty)
- No more frusteration.
I spent sometime going around the history of assistant GMs moving to other teams to become GMs
Steve Y to Tampa--no comp
Steve Tamb from Vancouver to Edmonton --no comp
Scott Howson from Edmonton to Blue Jackats-- no comp
Doug Reisbrough Edmonton to Minny No Comp
George Mcphee from Vancouver to Washington No comp
Brian Burke Vancouver to Hartford No comp