HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Parenteau Speaks Loudly with Big Stick

Old
11-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Parenteau Speaks Loudly with Big Stick

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...tick-1.3300967

"When I do that stuff, it gets me into the game," Parenteau said after the Islanders held a meeting and headed up here for Monday's game with the Bruins. "When I chirp guys on the bench or forecheck hard, it gets me going. It all comes from confidence."

"I always feel like, even though I know people talk, that I help Johnny and Mouls as much as they help me," Parenteau said. "And the other night, I played with another great center in Fransie. I just let people think what they want."

"A lot of guys play to their personality, and that's what P.A. does," Jack Capuano said. "He's an enthusiastic guy, and the thing he's been doing better is his work ethic hasn't quit. He stays effective in our system without taking anything away from his creativity."

11-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
"I always feel like, even though I know people talk, that I help Johnny and Mouls as much as they help me," Parenteau said. "And the other night, I played with another great center in Fransie. I just let people think what they want."
I think Parenteau reads HF.

-----

I caught most of the Caps/Isles game. He did look pretty good on that line with Nielsen. There's a lot of things you may be able to criticize about his game, but I don't think effort is one of them.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post

-----

I caught most of the Caps/Isles game. He did look pretty good on that line with Nielsen. There's a lot of things you may be able to criticize about his game, but I don't think effort is one of them.

Definitely worth the first star of the game.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post

-----

I don't even think there's all that much to criticize either. sure he has his flaws, but people talk about him as though he was a complete waste of a roster spot. Sure his spot can be upgraded, but in the meantime, he's a good piece to have.

He's good at entering the zone with the puck (which is more than can be said for a lot of Islanders), he goes into corners, he has solid vision, creativity & passing skills. He tends to make dangerous plays that burn him, he definitely needs to shoot more and he isn't a physical player, but overall he's a fair role player. Not a star or anything, but just a solid role player who will chip in offensively. Also not his fault that the team he plays for doesn't have a proper 1st line winger to take his place.

He gets way too much heat from the fanbase IMO.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I don't even think there's all that much to criticize either. sure he has his flaws, but people talk about him as though he was a complete waste of a roster spot. Sure his spot can be upgraded, but in the meantime, he's a good piece to have.

He's good at entering the zone with the puck (which is more than can be said for a lot of Islanders), he goes into corners, he has solid vision, creativity & passing skills. He tends to make dangerous plays that burn him, he definitely needs to shoot more and he isn't a physical player, but overall he's a fair role player. Not a star or anything, but just a solid role player who will chip in offensively. Also not his fault that the team he plays for doesn't have a proper 1st line winger to take his place.

My criticism is: turns puck over in neutral zone, doesn't clear the zone, whenever he receives a pass, he stops instead of keeping the play going.

When he limits or isn't doing those things he is effective.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:48 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
My criticism is: turns puck over in neutral zone, doesn't clear the zone, whenever he receives a pass, he stops instead of keeping the play going.

And he is awful in traffic.

So when he simplifies his game he is better. It is amazing how most of this team is much better when they all simplify their game.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:55 PM
gordie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post

I think most of the criticism stems from him playing on the first line and really no fault of his own. The isles failed to upgrade a position, and settled on PA.

I don't mind him as a second or third liner, he plays hard and seems to have a good attiude. I hope he proves to be a regular 50 point contributer to this team, but in order for this team to get better guys like PA need to be complementary players.

gordie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:08 PM
mitchy22

It's long, it's wordy, but yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post

No offense, but I see PAP in almost an entirely different light. He's really not that creative, but he's a plus stickhandler. Any creativity PAP has extends purely from playing with the puck while gliding forward. His play selection is eerily similar under most circumstances. His goals are almost all scored from in close (and his accuracy fails greatly from further out.) Part of the reason why he doesn't shoot more, is because he's not good at it. (Which I prefer over giving the puck away via a missed shot at the net.)

I'd rather him chip, chase, grind it out; hold the puck to find a play only when the rest of the team is backing up; keep it simple. I can stomach his stickhandling into the zone if he has players back, but I only want him making the truly risky plays (nobody covering) when we need offense no matter what.

PAP is capable of making a good pass, but he needs time and space to see many of the plays he should be making. Sometimes he'll make a great pass that is no-look, but he also coughs up the puck a lot doing the same type of thing. I'd rather him make more sure plays.

He's a terrible skater and should be very careful when entering the zone with the puck. His ability to shift the puck on his stick is why he gets away with it from time to time. His poor skating stride (takes 6-8 strides to get to top speed, though he glides well once there) and his lack of recognition of when to make the safe play (or simple failure to do so when trying to make a play) is what gets him into trouble.

In other words, he got benched for a shift two games ago for doing the same type of thing that earned him praise on the most recent telecast. The difference is always in the results of the play, but that doesn't mean that a certain type of play is "smart" because you pulled it off. IF PAP coughs up the puck at the blueline in the last game, then his entire team is out of position. Since he retained possession, it's a plus. Still, that's the kind of play that makes coaches cringe.

As much **** as I give him, I actually like PAP when he plays within himself (not trying to do too much except when it is truly called for) and is on a line with defensively responsible players to back him up. He's a complementary winger, that really belongs on any of the bottom 3 lines. I like his effort, but let's not forgive him for the flaws of his game. I'll agree that he gets more **** because of the spotlight (top 3 in ES ice for quite some time; plays with our franchise player), but that doesn't mean that the flaws in his game aren't costly at times.

PAP has 8 ES points in 11 games, yet he's got an EVEN rating. Go to the beginning of last year, and he'd probably be MINUS with that same kind of stat over certain periods of time. He has improved when it comes to the turnovers and risky plays, but he also has some real gems and poor games that end up costing us in the back of our own net, or costing the team 2:00 minutes of possession time to recover.

Let's not kid ourselves about the prowess of the JT line at ES - it's eat or be eaten. Against faster and stronger teams, it's even more obvious where the flaws are. Let's hope the line changes stick, part of the reason why PAP gets his time up top is because he has produced there. However, I can almost guarantee by the reactions I've seen on the ice that JT obviously gets along well with PAP as a human being.

It is what it is. The criticism is justifiable. That said, I can't complain about his contract or his effort. When he's riding shotgun to JT, it's an obvious roster spot to upgrade. When he's playing lower down in the lineup, then his production is very good for the price we're paying for him and his effort cannot be questioned.

Mitch

Last edited by mitchy22: 11-06-2011 at 11:28 PM.
mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:24 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
And he is awful in traffic.

So when he simplifies his game he is better. It is amazing how most of this team is much better when they all simplify their game.
The two players that I **** on most of the time are exactly the same in that regard. Comeau is piss poor in traffic, as well. To be clear, I mean "in traffic" to mean in tight along the boards with or without the puck while directly engaged. PAP actually isn't bad when prying a puck loose among 2 other players. PAP also has much higher stickhandling skills than Comeau. Therefore, PAP is better approaching the blueline and trying to stickhandle through it (even though it's often a very dangerous play.)

That said, Comeau is faster, has a much better shot, and is physically stronger. Comeau only turns well to the left though. PAP has such a small stride that it doesn't matter when he turns, but he has about the poorest balance of any player on the team and is the most likely to fall over backwards. Both players skater in the lane of other forwards more than anyone else. Both players hold the puck for too long. Both players should chip and chase more often than not. Comeau has the speed to get it done. PAP has the effort required. Both make dangerous plays at dangerous spots of the ice more often than they should at the NHL level.

Both players are upgradeable, but both can be effective playing simple games and putting in strong efforts. Place them with the right linemates when they're playing a simple game, and their flaws are hidden. Place them with the wrong linemates, playing with the puck too much in areas where you shouldn't, or if you find them lacking in effort, then you'll notice them for all of the wrong reasons.

Neither player should find themselves on the top line of a top-end team. Comeau has all of the physical attributes, but his effort waxes and wanes. PAP has the effort, but lacks the physical attributes. Both lack the overall hockey brain that you would like to see in a top-line player. Fast forward to when Ryan Strome is next to JT and you'll see what I mean - the kid has the effort, brain and required skill level to make the most of it. (Unless we finally manage to obtain a top-end winger, my hope is that Strome finds the right side of JT.)

For now, imagine if we had Marian Hossa next to John Tavares. Think of what John Tavares would do when surrounded by at least one elite winger.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Paging Kyle Okposo. Kyle Okposo you have a telephone call at the front desk.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:56 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

I gave P.A. a chance when he arrived here as the hope that he would be a diamond in the rough like Matt Moulson.

Well....P.A. is not a diamond....he's more like a semi precious Opel on Onyx...

He is not the most skilled player, he is not physical, he is in essence not a top tier, top line player, but he came into the season last year and again this year without fans giving him any credit for what he accomplished.

I agree that as a new-comer last season, he had to earn it. Lots of NYI fans dont want to give him the credit that scoring 20 goals and 50 points is valid in the NHL. I suppose some may suggest that he did it all because he was paired with Tavares.

Yet the other night against the caps, not paired with Tavares, he scored a greasy goal, got an assist — and played well. He is racking up the points again, and is doing it while being maligned.

I have said this in my blog posts about him at Hockey Independent, and throughout these boards — he is this generations Derek King. For those of you don't recall, Kinger was booed time and time again —*and that was during 30 and 40 goal seasons. Would you be booing a player who scored like that today?

While P.A. is not putting up 40 goals anytime soon, he is playing an effective game for the Islanders, and I am glad this article points that out. He is putting up the points, and generating some offense. If he can maintain his current pace throughout the season he will net 14 goals — which wont be all that much — but the 67 assists puts him at 81 points.

Last time I checked, 81 points in the NHL was very good...and if Nino comes in, and takes the top line wing, and then P.A. and his 81 points become a secondary scoring threat — who are we to scoff at that?

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
I gave P.A. a chance when he arrived here as the hope that he would be a diamond in the rough like Matt Moulson.

Well....P.A. is not a diamond....he's more like a semi precious Opel on Onyx...

He is not the most skilled player, he is not physical, he is in essence not a top tier, top line player, but he came into the season last year and again this year without fans giving him any credit for what he accomplished.

I agree that as a new-comer last season, he had to earn it. Lots of NYI fans dont want to give him the credit that scoring 20 goals and 50 points is valid in the NHL. I suppose some may suggest that he did it all because he was paired with Tavares.

Yet the other night against the caps, not paired with Tavares, he scored a greasy goal, got an assist — and played well. He is racking up the points again, and is doing it while being maligned.

I have said this in my blog posts about him at Hockey Independent, and throughout these boards — he is this generations Derek King. For those of you don't recall, Kinger was booed time and time again —*and that was during 30 and 40 goal seasons. Would you be booing a player who scored like that today?

While P.A. is not putting up 40 goals anytime soon, he is playing an effective game for the Islanders, and I am glad this article points that out. He is putting up the points, and generating some offense. If he can maintain his current pace throughout the season he will net 14 goals — which wont be all that much — but the 67 assists puts him at 81 points.

Last time I checked, 81 points in the NHL was very good...and if Nino comes in, and takes the top line wing, and then P.A. and his 81 points become a secondary scoring threat — who are we to scoff at that?
When fans suggest that it really bothers me. I'm not a big PAP fan or anything. I realize I'm defending him here, but of course the position needs to be upgraded. PAP is clearly a 3rd line player with an ability to fill in on a top line here and there.

However giving all the credit to JT just isn't right. Of course JT and 1st line minutes helps a ton. But 1st line minutes helps the Sedins stats too.. To me, saying it's ALL JT implies that you can put anyone on a line with him & they'll score 50 points. Mattias Weinhandl, Claude Lapointe, Matts Lindgren and Richard Park aren't scoring 50 points playing with John Tavares.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:38 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
PAP gets crap b/c he's a flawed player at the basis (e.g. turnovers, hockey sense, vision). He essentially took the role of the top-line winger for JT a year ago, instead of a bonafide top-liner.

PAP looks a lot worse than he really is when he's overstretched in a 1st-line capacity; as a 2nd or 3rd liner he is suitable. The perception of PAP would be different if he had better players to play behind in the depth charts.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:17 PM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Josh Bailey should take notes

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Josh Bailey should take notes
Agreed, both him and KyKy

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

Call me crazy but I'm really starting to like Parenteau.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote