Rebranding the QMJHL

Old
08-24-2011, 02:29 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFr View Post

If you don't like the effects, they're there so my logos aren't so easily stolen.
Brilliant.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:38 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:

If you don't like the effects, they're there so my logos aren't so easily stolen.
i like this one alot. much better then ur previous one, and the one they have now.

ideas for team names
pei: charlottetown islanders
halifax: halifax moose

not that good or creative but meh, im to lazy to think of better ones

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 12:33 AM
JackFr

Here's the final logo and uniform set for the Saint John Sea Dogs.

JackFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 12:48 AM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Here's the final logo and uniform set for the Saint John Sea Dogs.

Oh that is so siick !!!!!

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 12:13 PM
johnnydrum

"Mint!"

This is a great project, you are very creative.
I have just started following the Q last year (im in England; and like follow all the prospects) and I must admit, that the Q seems to be the poorer relation when compared to the "branding" of the OHL and even the WHL.
Now I understand that I am English (and embarrasingly only speak one language) so need help to under stand what a Voltiguer, Cataracts and Saqueen is.
Not only that, but websites like the Ramparts, Huskies--who despite offering a "English version", simply dont bother to update it.
The Val Dor site is the worse...I have been trying to get anything on there Russian player, Shalimov, but it dosnt mention anything--even after his hatrick last week.
With so many exciting players in the league, I cant belive that I am the only person, frustratingly pulling out hair, spending an age trawling through stuff.
Cant belive that apart from sites like St Johns, Moncton, and the like, I cant even geta bloody game report!
Please understand Im not asking for all the good French teams to change their sites just for "Johnny Drumm"..lol...i just want to read about ALL the teams!!!

LOL...now where was I.
I would love to see new logos (even team names for the Oceanic, Sagueens) and kind of think the Tigres and Cats are too similar.
I do like the Huskies outfit though...

Loving your work...the Black Seadogs jersey looks awesome.!

johnnydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum View Post
"Mint!"
so need help to under stand what a Voltiguer, Cataracts and Saqueen is.
A Voltigeur is basically an infantryman. I think that this is the original usage, but I'm pretty sure it's a reference to these guys.

A Cataracte is a waterfall. I think it implies a large waterfall, as opposed to a 'cascade.'

I'm guessing that the last one is supposed to be Saguenéen. A Saguenéen is a person from Saguenay. The former City of Chicoutimi is now a part of the City of Saguenay (it amalgamated with some nearby municipalities, most notably Jonquière, in 2002). Regardless, they didn't name it after the demonym for a city that did not yet exist. I am all but certain that the team is named after this gang. I like the story, and that only adds to the soft spot that I have for Les Saguenéens.

Quote:
Not only that, but websites like the Ramparts, Huskies--who despite offering a "English version", simply dont bother to update it.
Oh, I know... The Olympiques update their English site, but they very obviously just Google Translate their articles. There was one the other day that featured the line 'In 62 games last year, he had 6 passes and 86 penalty minutes.'

I've often considered offering to proofread their English site, just to help make my team look good.

Quote:
I would love to see new logos (even team names for the Oceanic, Sagueens) and kind of think the Tigres and Cats are too similar.
! Screw that! Saguenéens is one of the best team names in the CHL. I like things that have meaning like that.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 06:24 AM
johnnydrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoiseach View Post
Screw that! Saguenéens is one of the best team names in the CHL. I like things that have meaning like that.
Thank you so much for your great post Taoiseach. That was a fun read.
Of course, I whole heartedly agree about the Sagueneens name, Now I know what one is..lol

Without sounding like a ignorant Englishman, I do not expect the QMJHL to "cater" for me, but It can be frustrating following this league.
As a far away follower, I often find that I can not keep updated with half the teams in its league, which is a shame.
Due to the high level of Euro prospects now playing in the Q, access to the internet, and the inclusion of the Quebec league into a popular Video game, I know more and more Europeans now have an interest in following its teams....it just seems a little "short sighted"

Sometimes I use the online translator, with some hillariuos "faux pass" (ahh...see im speaking French already!)--on reading about Mikhail Grigorenkos exploits the other night, I had "Grigorenko, sent a pass of love to..." which I presume, is meant to say "sent a lovely pass"--unless of course Patrick Roy is attempting some new "team bonding exercise"...lol

johnnydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum View Post
Without sounding like a ignorant Englishman, I do not expect the QMJHL to "cater" for me, but It can be frustrating following this league.
Hey, I'm an Anglo-Ontarian and I manage to keep on top of things, although I do admit that it takes a bit more work than it would to follow the OHL, for example.

Hopefully sooner, rather than later I'll actually get around to trying to learn the local language. For how much time I spend across the river, it would just be courteous for me to do so. Besides, speaking French would make me more employable...

Old
10-08-2011, 04:33 PM
JackFr

You thought I'd forgotten about this?

Moncton Wildcats.

The current logo is kind of... weird. It's a bobcat chestburster with really choppy lines. It's fairly ambitious but It's pretty outdated. While I wanted to maintain the colour scheme I chose to change 3 things.

1. The head shape
2. The blue on the jerseys
3. The claw things on the back

Here's what I came up with:

Old
10-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Dasachtach
Bluenoser

Awesome work, buddy. I love the new Sea Dogs unis. Can't wait to see what you got for Cape Breton. The Moncton ones are very well done but they remind me too much of the old Bathurst unis.

Dasachtach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
You thought I'd forgotten about this?

Moncton Wildcats.

The current logo is kind of... weird. It's a bobcat chestburster with really choppy lines. It's fairly ambitious but It's pretty outdated. While I wanted to maintain the colour scheme I chose to change 3 things.

1. The head shape
2. The blue on the jerseys
3. The claw things on the back

Here's what I came up with:

I like! The alternate is lookin' a little too Belleville Bulls for my taste though.

Old
10-19-2011, 07:50 PM
JackFr

Thanks for the comments. I'll edit them and see what I get. Anybody else have anything?

Old
10-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Thanks for the comments. I'll edit them and see what I get. Anybody else have anything?
I think that alternate would be better if there was a little bit more of either the red or the gold.

Old
11-07-2011, 01:44 PM
alex20wild

great work and all, but dont u think an alternate logo for the third jerseys would be cool? also im from ottawa, big 67s fan but i now live in halifax, as a mooseheads fan i want to say... dont change that name, i love it, everyone here loves it. the colours can be played with tho imo.

alex20wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:45 PM
alex20wild

also are all the same jerseys going to have the same kind of stripping? id like to see a lil variety. still tho, great work

Old
11-07-2011, 08:48 PM
JackFr

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex20wild View Post
great work and all, but dont u think an alternate logo for the third jerseys would be cool? also im from ottawa, big 67s fan but i now live in halifax, as a mooseheads fan i want to say... dont change that name, i love it, everyone here loves it. the colours can be played with tho imo.
I'm also in Halifax, and I've changed my mind on the name change following the Mooseheads more closely this year. I might change them to the Moose though.

The striping will be varied, just coincidentally these two teams came next to each other.

I have some stuff for the Titan lined up; also working on some Cataractes (more like their old logo), Sherbrooke (Castors), and Victoriaville.

Old
11-08-2011, 02:54 PM
alex20wild

cool, ya moose could work. look forward to seeing more of your work and hopefully seeing the Q hire you:p

Old
11-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
I'm also in Halifax, and I've changed my mind on the name change following the Mooseheads more closely this year. I might change them to the Moose though.

The striping will be varied, just coincidentally these two teams came next to each other.

I have some stuff for the Titan lined up; also working on some Cataractes (more like their old logo), Sherbrooke (Castors), and Victoriaville.
I look forward to the Shawinigan and the Sherbrooke ones.

Shawinigan needs to ditch the generic edge look (their alternates are beautiful though), and I'm really excited to see the return of the Castors.

Old
11-08-2011, 06:44 PM
JackFr

Shawinigan will definitely be more like this than their current.

[IMG]http://www.****************/images/logos/10/396/full/1730.gif[/IMG]

Les Tigres and les Titans will be updates of their current look, and the Castors will definitely be edging more towards classic and timeless than cartoony.

Old
11-09-2011, 12:52 PM
alex20wild

although i have never been a fan of a script logo with number underneath (dallas) i think the Montreal Juniors always looked really sharp, just a clean look. I like the Armada logo... but the jerseys and colours are really plain. what are your plans there?

Old
11-09-2011, 12:53 PM
alex20wild

also im hoping gatineau goes back to purple and orange, winning combination there. too much black and white in the Q now

Old
11-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
also im hoping gatineau goes back to purple and orange, winning combination there. too much black and white in the Q now
I'm happy either way. There's a winning tradition with both Purple/Black/Orange and Black/Silver/White. My favourite thing about the old orange jerseys was the fact that there was no white outside of the logos.

One thing I would like to see though, is a blue and gold (our original colour scheme) alternate.

Old
11-23-2011, 01:27 PM
alex20wild

whens the next design going up?

Old
12-01-2011, 01:48 AM
Raimu

In regards to the sea dogs, I definitely like the version that's facing downwards. The direction the seal thing is looking changes the vibe. If its looking up at something it kind of implies weakness. Looking down implies dominance... sea dogs right now deserve to be represented by the latter. Jerseys are very plain and forgettable but I like the logo.

Wild cats design I'm not really a fan of at all. To Pre-edge Calgary flames... (If you recall, Baie Commeau already used that design back before edge was released.) mixed with a bit of pre-edge panthers with that early 90s style shoulder. Personally I really like their recent redesign. Logo still features a color that shouldn't be there, but as much as red and blue is overused, black is even worse. Cant condone adding black to any teams primary color scheme.

Raimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 03:43 PM
JackFr

Quote:
whens the next design going up?
As soon as I have time to finish it. I have a lot of sketches I need to render.