HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

On MDZ

Old
11-07-2011, 06:53 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
On MDZ

I don't think Ryan McDonagh is the only one who's benefiting from Marc Staal's injury. MDZ has moved into our top 4 finally and is playing really well. Much more solid in the defensive end. Much more aggressive as well and his offense is starting to come back. Averaging over 20 minutes a game and not looking out of place. After last year's nightmare of a season he's rebounding very well.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
MDZ is showing the haters that he belongs in the NHL. He is much improved in his own zone and is starting to gain his confidence back. I still think he is going to be a very good player. MDZ, McD, Staal, Girardi, Sauer, Erixon. We are set on the blueline for at least a decade

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:17 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Del Zotto was only 20 years old last year.

He grew up a lot from the experiences he had last year, and progressed, as he will continue to do, as he's only 21 years old.

Those who were calling him a bust and trying to run him out of town, couldn't grasp the concept that it takes time for young defensemen, longer then forwards, to develop.

I also recall how some proclaimed that Valentenko was going to blow Del Zotto out of the water.

Or that McDonagh and Erixon make Del Zotto expendable.

Which is far from reality.

Fact is, when Staal comes back, if he comes back, Erixon is going to have a hard time finding himself a spot on the left side, its locked up. Has been. He will have to find a spot on the right. But with Girardi and Sauer there, that will be hard to do, that's locked up. McIlrath is right behind him.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:58 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Del Zotto was only 20 years old last year.

He grew up a lot from the experiences he had last year, and progressed, as he will continue to do, as he's only 21 years old.

Those who were calling him a bust and trying to run him out of town, couldn't grasp the concept that it takes time for young defensemen, longer then forwards, to develop.

I also recall how some proclaimed that Valentenko was going to blow Del Zotto out of the water.

Or that McDonagh and Erixon make Del Zotto expendable.

Which is far from reality.

Fact is, when Staal comes back, if he comes back, Erixon is going to have a hard time finding himself a spot on the left side, its locked up. Has been. He will have to find a spot on the right. But with Girardi and Sauer there, that will be hard to do, that's locked up. McIlrath is right behind him.
It's a good problem to have. When Staal does come back--it might bite into MDZ's ice time more than anyone else's but nonetheless he looks to be taking a big step forward in his overall play this year. Erixon IMO had a bit of deer in the headlights and needs AHL development time. It's not that the talent is not there but I think his compete level has to go up a notch. MDZ has another advantage over him in that he's the most creative player on our D.

And it's interesting that even with Marc out that our D so far this year are not only playing well in their own end but have helped out on offense better than I would have expected. 8 goals from our defense in 13 games is not bad at all.

Old
11-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
McIlrath is still years away. Erixon will be replacing guys like Emminger and Woywitka, etc. Yes, down the road McIlrath may push someone out of the lineup, but we'll have to wait and see who that is because it's years away

Del Zotto has been good, great to see him getting on the score sheet

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:05 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

First off, this is a good problem to have. Surplus of one area leads to trades.

Second, I wouldn't worry about Erixon finding a spot. Particularly on the right. When he was up here, he said he felt comfortable there.

If/When Staal comes back and Erixon has played a couple of months in the AHL, we will see him on the 3rd pair with MDZ. imo

I think coming into the season this was the plan all along. But you know what they say about plans....

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:17 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
First off, this is a good problem to have. Surplus of one area leads to trades.

Second, I wouldn't worry about Erixon finding a spot. Particularly on the right. When he was up here, he said he felt comfortable there.

If/When Staal comes back and Erixon has played a couple of months in the AHL, we will see him on the 3rd pair with MDZ. imo

I think coming into the season this was the plan all along. But you know what they say about plans....
I think they play Erixon with Stall or McDonagh when he comes back. Staal will need time to get his feet back under him and the other (2) pairings have been VERY good so far this season. Especially the MDZ-Sauer pairing

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:28 AM
gotmonte

Here is MY take on Michael Del Zotto:

He is a very talented player. He showed that his first year here. I think he is a head case right now to be honest. If the coaching staff shows to him that they are very heavily depending on him and stroke his ego with top line minutes, he plays above average.

If the coaching staff take minutes away from him, his game regresses terribly and he bombs out.

That kind of stability is scary. BUT I DONT THINK HE WILL REMAIN LIKE THIS.

I fully believe if the coaching staff (and fans) keep stroking his ego and he plays top minutes, he will blossom into one of the better offensive d's in the league. Will he pot 20-25 goals a year? Maybe not. But Assists? I think A LOT of his shots will be deflection goals and he will get the primary assist while also potting his fair share of goals.

When/IF Staal comes back the coach will have a pretty significant problem. Do you take MDZ's ice time from him and play him 10-15 minutes a game? If you do, you run the risk of stunting MDZ again and have him crash and burn. Leading to fans booing him or just not chanting him and his ego will be crushed and your looking at trade bait, AHL fodder

Its a scary thing with MDZ to be honest. I think he needs top 4 minutes to progress into what we think he can turn into

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:47 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Torts encouraged Richards to take MDZ under his wing. Teach him how to be a pro. Both players are represented by the same agency. Newport Sports. Messier took Leetch under his wing in 1991. MDZ acknowledged in a pre-game interview that Richards has helped his game.

Sent: Nov 6, 2011 5:11p

Per Torts: Richards has been mentoring Del Zotto and Richards' ability to impart his veteran knowlede "big part of Richards being here."

sent via HootSuite
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord/stat...05469681930240

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Reijo R

MDZ will be wearing the NYR sweater for a loooong time to come, and I'll be more than happy to watch him. As long as the top 4 (Staal, Girardi, Sauer, McD) are here, he'll be a 3rd pair d-man who plays on the 1st PP unit and there's nothing wrong with that. He's only 21 FFS!

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
MDZ will be wearing the NYR sweater for a loooong time to come, and I'll be more than happy to watch him. As long as the top 4 (Staal, Girardi, Sauer, McD) are here, he'll be a 3rd pair d-man who plays on the 1st PP unit and there's nothing wrong with that. He's only 21 FFS!
yep and if Erixon developes there is the top 6, alot of things can happen though

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Pizza

For a 21 year old to handle 25 plus minutes in the NHL is....well it's crazy good is what it is.

The Rangers have two players (MDZ/MCD) younger than 23 handling top pair minutes. In Girardi and Sauer they have two guys that can really settle things down and play at a very high level. They have two maybe three players waiting in the wings who project at high levels of play... and all this with out Staal, one of the best in the league.

They have to give Staal all the time he needs. When they get him back healthy and whole they are a Cup contender...and could remain that way for years, IMO.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I think he looks a lot better as the secondary pointman on the power play who can tuck in and defer to Richards who is now the #1 PP pointman, as opposed to in years past where Del Zotto was supposed to be the do-everything guy and make things happen for McCabe or Kotalik, ect.

11-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

MDZ certainly shut up a lot of his detractors who said he will never play in the NHL.

And he's making the 2008 draft look much better. We had a lot of hope for a lot of people early on.
  • Gaulton was good, but injured. Then faded away.
  • Doyle was good, but a headcase. Then it turned out that his brain will never allow him to play NHL hockey.
  • We waived Weise, whom some of us, including Leslie thought might be a third liner in the future.
  • Kundratek hasn't looked good this year.
  • Grachev was moved for a third rounder.

With MDZ struggling last season, a few weeks ago it seemed like it was down to basically one solid player, Derek Stepan. But if we could get a 65-point center and a 45-point defenseman out of this draft, that's a hell of a job by our scouts.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:33 AM
eco's bones

Three weeks ago the idea of not having Staal in the lineup looked like a major problem. The Rangers defense though has been solid--one of the lowest GAA's in the league. First McDonagh steps up to the first pair and plays like a champ but at the same time MDZ moved into McD's second pairing slot and has been getting minutes and not making the boneheaded plays (or not nearly as many) as last year. Both of them are +6. McD has picked up his offensive game and MDZ his defensive game.

Rangers future D should be about as solid as any other team in the league.

Old
11-07-2011, 11:38 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Torts encouraged Richards to take MDZ under his wing. Teach him how to be a pro. Both players are represented by the same agency. Newport Sports. Messier took Leetch under his wing in 1991. MDZ acknowledged in a pre-game interview that Richards has helped his game.

Sent: Nov 6, 2011 5:11p

Per Torts: Richards has been mentoring Del Zotto and Richards' ability to impart his veteran knowlede "big part of Richards being here."

sent via HootSuite
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord/stat...05469681930240
Nice.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Three weeks ago the idea of not having Staal in the lineup looked like a major problem. The Rangers defense though has been solid--one of the lowest GAA's in the league. First McDonagh steps up to the first pair and plays like a champ but at the same time MDZ moved into McD's second pairing slot and has been getting minutes and not making the boneheaded plays (or not nearly as many) as last year. Both of them are +6. McD has picked up his offensive game and MDZ his defensive game.

Rangers future D should be about as solid as any other team in the league.
This is what I said would be the silver lining in an other wise miserable scenario. Younger guys getting the chance to step in and make the most of a golden opportunity.

With all the Del Z hate, I find it amusing that he's one of the kids to grab the brass ring.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:43 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I know it's slightly offtopic, but with McD playing the way he has, it makes you wonder if (prepare for it) Staal becomes tradeable.

Staal could fetch a good return on the forward side and really boost the team to another level. I'm sure people wouldn't like the idea, but the D hasn't seemed to miss a beat without him and it's only realistic for a team to have so many top level guys. At some point, someone in the top 4 will have to be traded simply from a salary cap point of view.

May not be this year, but a year or two from now, someone will have to go.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:44 AM
mullichicken25

Del zotto is playing very, very good right now

and hes gettting more confident and more involved offensively every game

the kids going to be excellent in this league

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I was about to post about Leetch being much more mature than MDZ, without considering the influence of Messier.

Goos post.

BTW: I don;t think anyone was expecting the 2nd coming of Brian Leetch with MDZ.

Leetch's BIGGEST asset was his skating. I still miss watching him.

11-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Section311

I have been impressed with his passing and overall play alot the last few games

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:59 AM
ThirdEye

I think he'll come back to earth a little defensively once we start playing the better teams. I think last year made him mentally tougher though, so I don't expect him to flame out like he did last season anytime soon

He needs to start one timing the puck more on the PP. Even the little that he does shoot, he takes too much time getting it off and it just ends up hitting legs.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:18 PM
ltrangerfan

I really doubted whether MDZ would ever solidify a place in the defense. I'm elated by his improvement.

I always believed his problem was an off the ice issue which led to his poor performance.

After the 2010-2011 season ended I understood that Gilroy would be lost to FA

but I am still wondering who will turn out to be the "better" defenseman?

Clearly DZ is younger (has more time to develope) and seemed to have better offensive talents yet Gilroy seemed to be a better skater and appeared to have a more mature style of play.

Hopefully they both can leave a very positive mark in the NHL for their respective teams.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I know it's slightly offtopic, but with McD playing the way he has, it makes you wonder if (prepare for it) Staal becomes tradeable.

Staal could fetch a good return on the forward side and really boost the team to another level. I'm sure people wouldn't like the idea, but the D hasn't seemed to miss a beat without him and it's only realistic for a team to have so many top level guys. At some point, someone in the top 4 will have to be traded simply from a salary cap point of view.

May not be this year, but a year or two from now, someone will have to go.

Absolutely not.

No guarantee that our undrafted #2 defensemen and McD keep up this all star caliber play
He's on an obscenely generous contract. What he's being paid isn't near what he's worth.
Massive influence and leadership position in the locker room
This considerable concussion drives down the bargaining price.
And until we see otherwise, he is still this teams #1 defenseman.

I'm fine with McIlrath or Erixon being the best 7th defensemen in the leauge.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:30 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0flames View Post
Absolutely not.

No guarantee that our undrafted #2 defensemen and McD keep up this all star caliber play
He's on an obscenely generous contract. What he's being paid isn't near what he's worth.
Massive influence and leadership position in the locker room
This considerable concussion drives down the bargaining price.
And until we see otherwise, he is still this teams #1 defenseman.

I'm fine with McIlrath or Erixon being the best 7th defensemen in the leauge.
I wouldn't trade Staal either, but I think Girardi is as much of a lock as any D-man in the league to continue playing well. He's a smart player that has only gotten better with experience. He's also one of the hardest workers on the team

I think McDonagh will continue to be good too. Like Michelletti said last night, he's such a great skater that he can make up for a lot of his mistakes. That's why he's only really had a handful of what you would call "bad" games since he made the team

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote