HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers Assign Markstrom to San Antonio

Old
11-07-2011, 05:05 PM
nhlfan9191

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Jacob Markstrom FLA 5gp 9ga 161 shots .944pct 5th in league (Theodore dead last)

What else were you looking for him to prove?
Theodore's dead last in what? His stats are very good. What the **** are you talking about? Do you even know what your talking about.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:12 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Lol it's called developing a player. Stop being so pig headed. And he's not better than Theodore yet. He had a great start and now is the perfect time to send him down. Don't be surprised if you see him again this year.

Rofl Markstrom is ready and developed as evidenced by his play. His stats are clearly better than Theodore's.

And you are one rude poster.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:22 PM
KWGoon

I thought we were going to try to make the playoffs this year, pretty much as a priority. If so, shouldn't we play the best goalie?

I'm not convinced that being sent to AHL is best for Marky's confidence and development at this point. I don't see that playing lots of games in AHL is bettter than half or third that number in NHL. Especially since the big club offers a goalie coach as a full time benefit. And especially since having a competitive situation made both Marky and Jose play better, which helped the team.

Unless DT trades Clemmer after a couple of games, I call major fail on this.

Oh and a goalie is a position unlike any other, can't compare this to Booth. It should be about more than money in this particular case.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:24 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
I thought we were going to try to make the playoffs this year, pretty much as a priority. If so, shouldn't we play the best goalie?

I'm not convinced that being sent to AHL is best for Marky's confidence and development at this point. I don't see that playing lots of games in AHL is bettter than half or third that number in NHL. Especially since the big club offers a goalie coach as a full time benefit. And especially since having a competitive situation made both Marky and Jose play better, which helped the team.

Oh and a goalie is a position unlike any other, can't compare this to Booth. It should be about more than money in this particular case.
Agree on all parts.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:27 PM
RainingRats

Quote:

Of course it can be compared to Booth. If we had a huge budget and big money owners Markstrom would still be up and we probably would not have traded Booth. Finances dictate more than any philosophy.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:36 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Rofl Markstrom is ready and developed as evidenced by his play. His stats are clearly better than Theodore's.

And you are one rude poster.
I love Marky but he's played a grand total of five games. Things can go bad and fast when your a rookie goalie on the inconsistent Panthers team.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:54 PM
KWGoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Of course it can be compared to Booth. If we had a huge budget and big money owners Markstrom would still be up and we probably would not have traded Booth. Finances dictate more than any philosophy.
I disagree. Tallon would still have traded Booth because he's not worth anywhere near $4.25M. He's got good work ethic but he's not that special. And the reason why this is totally different from Booth is that Clemmer's $1.2M cap hit is minor crap relative to Booth's $4.25M. Also, whoever has Booth can sit him for a couple of games with virtually zero effect on the team if he's not doing well, unlike Clemmer, there's only one other option, injuries and bad play have a proportionately greater effect in goalie position.

Old
11-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

First of all, it's not Tallon's fault that he has to stay within a budget. Idk why everyone's mad at Tallon.

It's also probably better for Markstrom'sm development that he play a little while longer in the AHL, even though I think he might be ready to play a full season in the NHL. Let's put it this way, it's not going to hurt him. Jonathan Bernier and Cory Schneider put in a lot more AHL work than Markstrom has. So it's not like it's all bad.

And I don't know why so many people are afraid of Clemmer stinking it up. Did he stink it up last season on a much worse team? He's a solid backup, he'll do fine. And he'll boost his trade value in the process.

Markstrom tweeted today that it was a great start to the season so I don't think he's too upset. He knows the score and that it's not about him.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:02 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Was looking forwarding to watching Markstrom in person.

Oh well.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:03 PM
KWGoon

MR, people are mad at DT because they want to ice the best possible team to finally get into playoffs. Also many don't agree that it's better for his development to stay yet another year in minors. Many think keeping Marky on the big club would be a win-win for team and player alike.

Old
11-07-2011, 06:07 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
MR, people are mad at DT because they want to ice the best possible team to finally get into playoffs. Also many don't agree that it's better for his development to stay yet another year in minors. Many think keeping Marky on the big club would be a win-win for team and player alike.
best possible team*

*=within specific budget constraints

Old
11-07-2011, 06:44 PM
KWGoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
best possible team*

*=within specific budget constraints
Not a big deal here. Not buying it.

Old
11-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Markstrom would make 1.3M in the NHL. In the AHL his salary is probably less than 100K. It's definitely a big deal.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:21 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Believe whatever you want but you're wrong.

Old
11-07-2011, 07:22 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Markstrom would make 1.3M in the NHL. In the AHL his salary is probably less than 100K. It's definitely a big deal.
exactly. they're saving a significant amount of money.

Old
11-07-2011, 08:24 PM
flomarilius

vCash: 515
Wow I'm shocked at the replies I'm seeing to this thread? Are you guys kidding me I really thought everyone would have my notion at this. My .02 for this is simple, you gotta give clemmer NHL time (about till the end of december) to show whether or not he is NHL caliber for another team. How else are we going to shop this guy around? Let Markstrom play a month of so in the "A" and get some ice time.

Do we all suffer from short term memory loss here or did everyone already forget that Clemmensen saves our a**es a couple of times after Vokoun stunk it up. Give the guy a few games and if he wins we'll get a decent return and if he stinks it up we cut him.

flomarilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:51 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by flomarilius View Post
Wow I'm shocked at the replies I'm seeing to this thread? Are you guys kidding me I really thought everyone would have my notion at this. My .02 for this is simple, you gotta give clemmer NHL time (about till the end of december) to show whether or not he is NHL caliber for another team. How else are we going to shop this guy around? Let Markstrom play a month of so in the "A" and get some ice time.

Do we all suffer from short term memory loss here or did everyone already forget that Clemmensen saves our a**es a couple of times after Vokoun stunk it up. Give the guy a few games and if he wins we'll get a decent return and if he stinks it up we cut him.
the only game he ever did that was phoenix, and hes cost us so much more.

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:53 PM
flomarilius

vCash: 515
if you want to count wins and losses, fine then you are correct but he kept us in games and our inability to score didnt help him much

flomarilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:07 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:
i love how everyone who has never put together a Stanley Cup winning team thinks they know better than the man who has. Tallon knows exactly what hes doing and in the end it will all work according to plan.

I agree with everything he says here

"It's based on long-term, based on where we're headed and based on numbers. It's a good thing for his development and [better than] sitting around playing once every two weeks - he's only started in three games out of the 13 - we want him playing 10 out of the 13; we want him playing a lot. We know he can play and we know where we're headed with him and we're deep in goal, so that's a good thing."

"..He showed his true worth in training camp, showed his true worth in the games that he played and we have a bright prospect, a great future ahead and that's what we're all about. That's a position where you can lose your confidence in a hurry and never bounce back. We're being cautious here and conservative in his development"

"This isn't a popularity contest, this is about producing players for the long-term here. We're in a marathon; we want this guy to be our goalie of the future. We want to make sure he's handled right and that he's ready to take the load when it's time. With him and Gudbranson and Huberdeau, we 're going to be cautious with them all, we want to be sure they're ready and that we don't ruin them. The fans should look and see how bright our future looks."

"If [Clemmensen] doesn't get hurt, [Markstrom] would've been in San Antonio six weeks ago. He understands the three goalie system isn't going to work and that he's got to play. And these guys are proven veterans; they've played well for us. He understands that he's got to get better and this is a learning curve for him. Obviously, he'd like to stay here - but who wouldn't? He knows what's best for his future and we're doing what's best for him and that's what's most important."

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:20 PM
5 Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthertod View Post
If Clemmer comes up and stinks the joint up, he will not be here long (use the Booth situation as an example).
This. Personally, I'd like to see Clemmer go.

5 Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Haj

vCash: 50
I have to take the other side of this.

Markstrom played well in 5 games...that doesn't mean he can handle 60 to 70 games at the NHL level. He needs to play in the minors to round out his game and get a feel of what type of preparation and endurance it takes to be a number one goaltender over a long period of time.

I don't think Clemmensen should be traded. Too much depth is not a bad thing. What if Tallon trades Clemmensen and Theodore gets hurt ? Especially with defense men as soft as ours. Now Markstrom is starting and Plante is our backup. Which doesn't sound like a great scenario.

The only thing I don't like about the trade is that it makes the team more boring. Watching Markstrom play is exciting, its natural to want a draft pick to succeed after so many busts, and feel like: "The Panthers are finally turning it around" but long term playing Markstrom in the AHL makes the most sense.

Championship teams are not built with short term thinking.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:12 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Nothing personal at all towards Clemmer, because I have been one of his biggest supporters here, but I'd like to see him go in favor of Markstrom.

I'm as ready as Markstrom is for him to get the NHL experience. If he's capable of what he's done (obviously), then he's capable of doing it some more.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:49 AM
zeroG

holy cow. you people complaining are living in lala land.

markstrom is not the best of the 3 goaltenders at this point. theo's played well. clemmer's competent. markstrom's played in a handful of games. settle down.

let's also not forget that if tallon had his way, vokoun would be here in the first of a 3 year deal and clemmer would be backing him up, meaning markstrom wouldn't have gotten a sniff this year and would likely be backing up vokoun or splitting time next year. he's looked good in his brief time up but getting more starts with SA while the business end of tallon's safety net deal plays out is not to his detriment and is not going to be the difference maker in terms of a playoff berth.

and both markstrom and the team understand what's going on. they aren't idiots.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:28 AM
Peter The Great

Why not let the best goalie play?

In Florida Panthers I guess that age and experience is valued higher than pure skill, at least for a goalie?

A cowardly decision but perhaps based on politics, contracts, whatever. It's not based on skill, that's for sure.

Alternating between Theodore and Markstrom would have been the best decision, without any single doubt, at least for the Panthers, it would also have been a good competition for Theodore and Markstrom, pushing eachother.

I'm happy Landeskog didn't end up in Florida, he would have been sent down too, no doubt about it.

Last edited by 21: 11-08-2011 at 02:35 AM.
21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:52 AM
jakethesnake23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
Why not let the best goalie play?

In Florida Panthers I guess that age and experience is valued higher than pure skill, at least for a goalie?

A cowardly decision but perhaps based on politics, contracts, whatever. It's not based on skill, that's for sure.

Alternating between Theodore and Markstrom would have been the best decision, without any single doubt, at least for the Panthers, it would also have been a good competition for Theodore and Markstrom, pushing eachother.

I'm happy Landeskog didn't end up in Florida, he would have been sent down too, no doubt about it.
Im also happy Landeskog didn't end up in Florida.

Im curious as to your take on whether Lehner should be starting in Ottawa. If you think he shouldn't, your a hypocrit and if you think he should then its clear your just being a Swedish homer. What about Zibinijad? He should be on the Ottawa first line right??? Take the love-fest elsewhere.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote