Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Jet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMonty View Post
Sorry - i should have qualified my comment with this "When he's on his game"

Last night, in the loss to the Rangers (yes, he was directly responsible for the second goal against) in both the second and third period, Byfuglien was, sometimes, a stalwart in his own end. Several times he didn't chase the puck into the corner, but instead kept his man covered and without a chance at a pass, and even managed to knock one puck away from the crease, knocked another up into the netting, and then on the 5 on 3 actually made a save that would've been in for a goal were it not for his quick stick work.

I recognize there are big problems with his game and his penchant for acting like a cowboy out there; I also see small things in his game that tell me he's got the skill set, and sometimes even demonstrates a passion for the game whilst on the ice.

I'm advocating patience - let Huddy keep working with him on his defensive shortcomings and let Noel keep on him about his roaming, and maybe by the end of the year we'll see the improvement required.

I'm not ready to give up on him just quite yet. I believe every player deserves at least a year long chance (what would've happened had teams given up on Charlie Simmer or Joey Mullen?). I know that just because he's a pro-athlete that he "should be expected to perform", but he's also just a kid, who's moved to a third city within the past three years, who's on his third head coach in the last three years and who's having the usual trouble adjusting to life as an adult, so let's just wait and see what we've got at the end of the season.

If the same set of problems still exists, then the Jets will need to look at trading him in the off-season. Given the stance of TNSE, the entire organization from top to bottom, about being patient, developing through the draft, rewarding loyalty etcetera, etcetera, I believe the coaching staff will continue to work with the defencemen to improve their paly in all facets of the game. Huddy and Noel have obviously been paid dividends already with the investment of effort in Bogosian and Oduya; let's see what they can do with Byfuglien.

I also want to add that it seems as though once some of you commentors have made your mind up on a player, that's it! He's done! Get rid of him! Is it possible you have ignored some of Byfuglien's good plays, because all you can focus on are his gaffes? He does actually make some good decisions on the ice during some games, but I never read about them here, yet I hear about it on the radio (TSNJets, and the BS and Hustler & Lawless shows - so it's not like it's a train wreck every single second Big Buff's on the ice, is it?

I will admit to being less than kind in my judgements of Nik Antropov and Kyle Wellwood when they both played for other teams (Toronto with Antropov, and both Toronto and Vancouver regarding Welly), but I have changed my mind about both of them, because I've seen some awesome efforts out of both of them, and consider Antropov, especially, to be one of the more valuable Jets.
You are probably right about the patience part, Monty. It might just be taking DB longer to get it than the others. It's a shame though, because a big chunk of this team is playing like a winner, and it's being wasted.

Fact of the matter with Byfuglien is, we better pray he figures it out. He isn't going anywhere, and I doubt the coaches will force him to play a position he doesn't want too (though I personally would).

Old
11-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMonty View Post
I'm advocating patience - let Huddy keep working with him on his defensive shortcomings and let Noel keep on him about his roaming, and maybe by the end of the year we'll see the improvement required.

I'm not ready to give up on him just quite yet. I believe every player deserves at least a year long chance (what would've happened had teams given up on Charlie Simmer or Joey Mullen?). I know that just because he's a pro-athlete that he "should be expected to perform", but he's also just a kid, who's moved to a third city within the past three years, who's on his third head coach in the last three years and who's having the usual trouble adjusting to life as an adult, so let's just wait and see what we've got at the end of the season.
I'm not quite willing to give him that kind of a pass. He is not a kid; he's a 26-year old who has been playing professional hockey for 6 years, and high-level junior hockey for about 4 years before that. He is the highest-paid member of this team, salaried at 5.2 million/year for 5 years. He has worn the 'A' on his jersey. He has a Stanley Cup ring. He was an all-star last year.

The mistakes he's making isn't part of a failure to learn a system, or chemistry with teammates. It's hockey fundamentals we're talking about here. For 5.2 million a year you better be able to remember your hockey fundamentals, do your job and earn your keep. Growing pains, adjusting to coaches, and adjusting to life as an adult...those should be valid excuses for 20 years olds like Burmistrov. Who by the way, is stepping up his game big time. Or maybe Wellwood, who has also had 3 different coaches in the same time frame, on different teams, who is also stepping it up. Or the GST line.

Buff makes more than Burmistrov, Wellwood, Glass, Slater, and Thorburn combined. He's being paid like a game-breaker. He should play like one, and not breaking the games in a bad way.

Old
11-07-2011, 02:18 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegFalcon View Post
Does it bother you that guys like Burmi and Pavs make 1.5 and 1.1 mil a year, while guys like Little, Wheeler and Buff make 2.3, 2.5, and 5.2 mil a year? I know it bothers me, because the former have been our best players and the latter often our worst.
Yeah, but it's not like they can't turn it around in the next 68 games. I'm confident Little will figure it out. I'm confident Wheeler will be somewhat useful eventually. I'm confident Buff can put up points but will still suck defensively.

Old
11-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Yeah, but it's not like they can't turn it around in the next 68 games. I'm confident Little will figure it out. I'm confident Wheeler will be somewhat useful eventually. I'm confident Buff can put up points but will still suck defensively.
HBD Bro

Old
11-07-2011, 02:58 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
HBD Bro
You would. Thanks Bro!

Old
11-07-2011, 10:48 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

well, on the bright side, if the season were to end today we would have the third overall pick....and the islanders are only 2 points behind us with 2 games in hand for the second pick.

build through the draft they all said....no better way to do that than to be terrible.

forsberg or yakupov?

Old
11-07-2011, 10:55 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
I remember when TNSE first bought the team hearing that Buff was going to be a fan favorite.

Well, he's getting the attention usually reserved for a fan favorite, but at the moment he sure ain't a fan favorite.

At least during Jets 1.1 (ignoring some obvious first round draft picks) someone like Tie Domi learned to be a hockey player on top of his other "skills". Buff has better straighten up in a hurry, he's got an awesome D coach to learn from, so times now to get a-learning.
The thought of Buff being a fan favorite was there because he was such a big body presence and he can deliver big hits. Either than that, he's horrendous on defense and is horrific on his own zone. By now he should learn the ropes of being a great defensemen..

When Domi first came to the Jets there was the hype, but he could play and was great in his role. TBH, that was one of the better trades in Jets history..Domi/King for Eddie O.

Old
11-07-2011, 11:02 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
i really dont know what the answer is but something drastic needs to happen with little...14 games as any teams top line centre and no goals is staggering.

maybe once a couple of the regular defencemen get back noel just needs to tell buff he's playing wing and sit wheeler and little down for a few games....this team has some real promise, but will go nowhere with their top 3 laying eggs every game...imagine how we would be doing if little, ladd and wheeler were even just average.

the one ray of hope is that they get on track....it could change everything.

for interests sake...by this point last year: (this year in brackets)

ladd 5G 9A (3G, 1A)
little 3G 4A (0G, 3A)
wheeler 3G 2A (0G, 5A)

Old
11-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
i really dont know what the answer is but something drastic needs to happen with little...14 games as any teams top line centre and no goals is staggering.

maybe once a couple of the regular defencemen get back noel just needs to tell buff he's playing wing and sit wheeler and little down for a few games....this team has some real promise, but will go nowhere with their top 3 laying eggs every game...imagine how we would be doing if little, ladd and wheeler were even just average.

the one ray of hope is that they get on track....it could change everything.

for interests sake...by this point last year: (this year in brackets)

ladd 5G 9A (3G, 1A)
little 3G 4A (0G, 3A)
wheeler 3G 2A (0G, 5A)
Yeah, that tells you something is wrong. Noel went back to Ladd-Little-Wheeler in the third period last game, and I think he was right to do so. They got some zone time and had a couple of chances, and Wellwood didn't make much happen on that line anyway. I don't know what Noel will do when Antro returns (tonight please), but I hope he'll jump start those three somehow.

Old
11-08-2011, 01:31 AM
MessierII

Anyone else starting to question whether Noel is an NHL coach. Ramsay got a lot more out of this team last year.

Old
11-08-2011, 04:52 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Anyone else starting to question whether Noel is an NHL coach. Ramsay got a lot more out of this team last year.
Which part of last year? Very distinct first and second halfs...

Closed Thread