HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What if Washington selected Malkin first overall, and left Ovechkin to Pittsburgh?

Old
11-08-2011, 08:10 AM
wedge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz View Post
No that wouldn't have made a difference. The OP is saying if Washington had picked Malkin instead of Ovechkin, so Washington still picks first.

I think Pittsburgh would be about the same, but they would be a one line team. That being said, maybe Staal, with the second line ice time, becomes better and they still win the cup.

Washington could go either way, but they would still be one of the top teams
Staal probably wouldn't be in Pittsburgh. Crosby was alone in his rookie year and the Pens finished in the bottom of the league. Only the following year, when Malkin arrived, did they become a threat. So, if Crosby and Ovie were together in their rookie year, there's no way the Pens would have finished in the basement.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

They both have motivation issues. I think Malkin at his peak (his Conn Smythe-winning performance) is better than Ovi, but he hasn't been in that form since then. If he ever gets that fire in his belly again I think he'll outplay everyone, even Crosby.

Cardboard Orpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
They both have motivation issues. I think Malkin at his peak (his Conn Smythe-winning performance) is better than Ovi, but he hasn't been in that form since then. If he ever gets that fire in his belly again I think he'll outplay everyone, even Crosby.
In Malkin's Conn Smythe winning playoffs, Ovechkin had identical points per game that post season, and higher goals per game. So even at Malkin's alleged peak, Ovechkin was better.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
He doesn't have the drive to elevate his game and throw the team on his back when they need it most.
yeah, he only has 50 points in 37 playoff games. more points than games played every postseason. the one time his team played even 1/10th as hard as he did, in 2009, he only put 21 pts in 14 games; 11 goals in 14 games.

21 pts in two series, that pathetic loser just has no drive and cant elevate his game.

guys like you should be glad his team didnt sack up that year like all of crosbys teammates did. if they played anywhere near their ability, ovi hoists a cup and his smythe is won with more points than anyone else has sniffed in a long time.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:15 AM
SidTheKid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
In Malkin's Conn Smythe winning playoffs, Ovechkin had identical points per game that post season, and higher goals per game. So even at Malkin's alleged peak, Ovechkin was better.
Ovechkin's totals are a smaller sample size. Malkin played twice as many playoff games as Ovechkin did that year. Hard to say with any certainty if Ovechkin would've kept up that pace for ECF and Stanley Cup Final.

SidTheKid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:15 AM
tony d
The Future

A Crosby-Ovechkin duo would be amazing. As others have said a lot would have had to happen in order to get it to all pan out.

11-08-2011, 09:18 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
Who knows what would have happened. Maybe the Pens wouldn't have won a single cup. Hell, the only reason they have one this decade is because of Gary Bettman.
fixed that for ya

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:19 AM
TheReaper

Quote:
In 10 less games. An the deeper you go in the playoffs the stronger the competition, specially in the SCFs. We'll never know if he would've kept that pace. In the end Malkin has the Conn Smythe, he was better. He scored something like the most playoff points since Lemieux or Gretzky.

TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:19 AM
JalapenoPeppa*

They made the right choice. Whether Malkin or Ovechkin have the better career is yet to be seen. But at the time, Ovie was definitely the clear number one pick.

Pens are still happy to have picked Malkin anyway. Conn Smythe winner. And I'd say it is the Pens center depth that keeps them at the top of the league consistently.

JalapenoPeppa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

Quote:
Aside from the fact that we don't know if Ovi would have kept that pace up, in battle between two players with similar stats, I'll take the one that comes through when his team needs him most and actually wins the whole shebang.

Cardboard Orpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

In case people forgot, Alex Ovechkin is second only to Lemieux in playoff Goals/Game among NHL players with 8 or more post-season games. Saying the Pens wouldn't have won a Cup without Malkin is pretty laughable.

Hivemind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:29 AM
JalapenoPeppa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
In case people forgot, Alex Ovechkin is second only to Lemieux in playoff Goals/Game among NHL players with 8 or more post-season games. Saying the Pens wouldn't have won a Cup without Malkin is pretty laughable.
It's possible, isn't it? Just because of that stat doesn't mean that Ovie would have kept it up right until the end. He hasn't proven much to me in the post-season yet.

Geno goes into beast-mode like no other player when his team is on the line. Those type of players are invaluable in the playoffs.

Ovie has yet to lead his team on a deep run at all, and he has the team to do so.

JalapenoPeppa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:38 AM
RogerRoeper*

A better question is (since Washington was never not going to pick Ovechkin first overall), what if Pittsburgh didn't lose that draft lottery (they finished 30th overall but got bumped down to second in the lottery). They'd get Ovechkin, and therefore, would have had 2, not 3 balls in the Crosby lottery (they'd lose one by getting a first overall pick). Pittsburgh's chances at getting Crosby drop significantly.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
What if Ovechkin went back in time and killed Baby Hitler?

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:50 AM
DwightKSchrute

As much as I would like Ovie-Sid line,I love having two game changing centers

DwightKSchrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:53 AM
19Yzerman19

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
A better question is (since Washington was never not going to pick Ovechkin first overall), what if Pittsburgh didn't lose that draft lottery (they finished 30th overall but got bumped down to second in the lottery). They'd get Ovechkin, and therefore, would have had 2, not 3 balls in the Crosby lottery (they'd lose one by getting a first overall pick). Pittsburgh's chances at getting Crosby drop significantly.

Atlanta still has a team, Canadian fans still whining about when they will get another team.

19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDefense View Post
It's possible, isn't it? Just because of that stat doesn't mean that Ovie would have kept it up right until the end. He hasn't proven much to me in the post-season yet.

Geno goes into beast-mode like no other player when his team is on the line. Those type of players are invaluable in the playoffs.

Ovie has yet to lead his team on a deep run at all, and he has the team to do so.
Ovie is not the problem with the team. He's never been beneath a point/game in the playoffs (Malkin has twice). I don't know what else you want him to prove to you. Hell, he scored eight goals in the series against your team. If that's not "beast-mode" I don't know what is.

Hivemind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:21 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Better yet, what if Washington didnt win the lottery and steal that pick from Pittsburgh? The next year Pittsburgh has a far lesser chance at getting Crosby, and Washington has a far greater chance... so maybe Pittsburgh ends up with Ovie and Sasha Pokoluk while Washington has Malkin and Crosby.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

I've oft wondered this aswell. Ignoring the whole "Crosby may not be a Penguin" argument and assuming all other happenenings remained constant, I have a few predictions:

- The Penguins do not win the Stanley Cup. Detroit likely wins back to back.
- Capitals make more noise in the playoffs than they have with Ovechkin.

I think this kind of makes the Pens a worse team... Their #2 center would be Staal. That being said, they may go after Richards this last offseason and they likely would have got him over New York, so they may just be a power house now.

Too many possibilities...

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:28 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Looks like you beat me to it

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
I'll take the one that comes through when his team needs him most and actually wins the whole shebang.

yes, despite identical production, it was malkin who won the cup on his own and it was ovechkin who failed on his own.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:23 AM
DwightKSchrute

As much as I would like Ovie-Sid line,I love having two game changing centers

DwightKSchrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:55 AM
SkinsFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Shoes View Post
he doesn't backcheck. he doesn't dig in the corners to help his linemates battle for loose pucks.[/B] [B]he just waits for the outlet. being a physical player also means having the sack to go into the dirty areas and take a hit.
You're stuck in 2006.

Yeah he's afraid to get hit in the corners...and no, I'm not using the "one video means he's the best ever" argument, just that you are showing the typical Penguins bias. How many Capitals games do you watch annually?

SkinsFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:00 PM
SkinsFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDefense View Post

For such a big hockey board, it's amazing how many people pretend it's a one-man game when it suits their ridiculous arguments then when their player is attacked, say "well, you can only do so much if the rest of your team doesn't perform."

He has the team to do so? How, when your franchise center has 2 pts in 9 games. 0 goals and 2 assists? How when the rest of your secondary scoring fades away? I mean look at Semin's stats vs. Montreal.

These arguments get so comical. Yeah they have talent but Ovechkin can't literally force other players to live up to expectations.

SkinsFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Awesome Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
The Winter Classic every year would simply be a Penguin practice and scrimmage.
so true

Awesome Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote