HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stopping

Old
11-08-2011, 09:08 AM
r3cc0s

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
One of the things i see in public skates are guys who can not even do one foot stops trying to do a full hockey stop and don't even stop fully before they move out of the stop and start skating again. It's terribly frustrating to watch.

Take it one step at a time and learn the proper ways as seen in the videos. For me, my left side is still not that strong so when i get to go to public skates, i do lines stopping on my weak side. As with just about everything in hockey, practice makes perfect.
I actually think that if you can "one foot" hockey stop, you're have pretty solid balance and power...

I can do it, especially if I intent on launching off that foot, lets say from hard forechecking before hitting the board so I can change directions or transition

I don't think I've seen anyone else at a public skate even try to stop with just one blade on the ice...

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

See I do the one foot thing all the time but I can barely do a two foot proper hockey stop, as in digging in both edges. I always have trouble with the inside foot outside edge...it's more for balance than digging in. In theory you should be able to stop a lot quicker and transfer more force back to the opposite direction using both legs. I'm just lazy and never took the time to learn it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Cowbell232

In addition to what's already been said here:

Don't be afraid of falling. Get right back up and try again.
Don't be afraid of looking silly in front of the team - they all couldn't stop once too.
Don't be afraid to keep asking for more help from the guys on the team.
Don't be afraid that you won't 'get it', because you will one day.

11-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
See I do the one foot thing all the time but I can barely do a two foot proper hockey stop, as in digging in both edges. I always have trouble with the inside foot outside edge...it's more for balance than digging in. In theory you should be able to stop a lot quicker and transfer more force back to the opposite direction using both legs. I'm just lazy and never took the time to learn it.
I think it makes a colossal difference. Putting the brakes on your inside foot's outside edge can get you to stop MUCH faster.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:46 AM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Me too. I never stop with both feet. I was taught intially to do it with both, but I actually went to another clinic where they guy said that most instructors are now teaching the one foot method. He said a lot of nhler's who have stopped on two feet forever have been switching to the one foot method b/c it puts you in a better position if you are looking to change directions quickly. I found one foot stops to be much more effective, but that's just me.

To the OP just make sure you stick with it and don't get discouraged. It will come to you with a bit of practice. All of sudden one day it will just click and you'll wonder why you ever had issues with it. To me that seems to be the way every skater I know describes it. Until that day though it can be extremely frustrating.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyKushryd View Post
Heres a question.

I can stop on my right foot very easily, but can't stop on my left at all.

I know about the "Snowplow" method, but I'm having problems getting my left foot to "slide" like my right does, even when "snowplowing".

Any tips?
I had the same problem. I got over the hump by conciously turning that skate in and exagerrating my hips/butt when I started the stop. Then I just purposely stopped to that side everytime I was at an open skate for a while and before I knew it, I had both sides working the same. Now I'd say I'm probably even better stopping that way, which is good because I'm a right handed shot and I think the open side stop is more important than the closed side.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yes that's good advice too! Exaggerating the movement. I used to think after I got the initial scraping down, turn and "sit" as in turn your skates 90 degrees, lean away from the stopping direction (to angle the edges into the ice), then "sit" by bending your knees AND YOUR BUTT in order to stop. That makes you better balanced, exerts more force into the stop (quicker stop), and then gets you ready to explode into another direction.

Old
11-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Jive Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
In addition to what's already been said here:

Don't be afraid of falling. Get right back up and try again.
Don't be afraid of looking silly in front of the team - they all couldn't stop once too.
Don't be afraid to keep asking for more help from the guys on the team.
Don't be afraid that you won't 'get it', because you will one day.
I'll second this ^

Get it over with and practice until it's automatic and never favor one side. I remember there was a pretty good discussion before on this topic here:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=27589093

cheers

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:05 PM
beth

If you find that you are really only using one foot when you are stopping, you can teach yourself to get both feet involved by practicing one-foot stops on both the inside AND outside edges. One-foot outside edge stops are hard, but once you get them down, you will better at stopping on both feet. They are also fun to do once you figure it out, and make you feel like an awesome skater. But be ready to fall down a lot when you're learning them.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Me too. I never stop with both feet. I was taught intially to do it with both, but I actually went to another clinic where they guy said that most instructors are now teaching the one foot method. He said a lot of nhler's who have stopped on two feet forever have been switching to the one foot method b/c it puts you in a better position if you are looking to change directions quickly. I found one foot stops to be much more effective, but that's just me.
Are you talking about stopping with your inside foot on your outside edge? That would make sense because you can immediately cross over with your outside feet and start going towards the other direction.

Old
11-09-2011, 08:43 AM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Are you talking about stopping with your inside foot on your outside edge? That would make sense because you can immediately cross over with your outside feet and start going towards the other direction.
No. I am talking about outside foot inside edge. When I am going one direction and stop with one foot I can begin to turn that into a stride if I need to. Also if I stop and want to go in the complete opposite direction mt stance is already open to start going in that direction.

Example: I am skating towards the boards and as I near them I stop with my right foot. Then I realize I need to get back up the ice quick. Since I only stopped on one side my left leg is open and ready to start that next stride the opposite way. If I stop with both feet I come to a complete stop and all momentum is gone and I need to completely start up again to get going the other way.

It does not make a huge difference but I feel like it is a little more effective.

Old
11-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you can stop with the outside edge of the inside foot only, you are a beast!

Old
11-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Ugh! Tell me about it. I get the urge to try to learn this in practices every few months, and fall on my ass half dozen times and scrap the idea.

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I can barely do a T-stop with my outside edge

But for some reason when I put both feet down I can sorta stop with my outside edge.

But I think that's the quickest way to change momentum because essentially you're crossing over right away after stopping. I'm working on exploding as fast as possible after doing a full stop. Normally I just coast and tight turn if possible

Old
11-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
If you find that you are really only using one foot when you are stopping, you can teach yourself to get both feet involved by practicing one-foot stops on both the inside AND outside edges. One-foot outside edge stops are hard, but once you get them down, you will better at stopping on both feet. They are also fun to do once you figure it out, and make you feel like an awesome skater. But be ready to fall down a lot when you're learning them.
My 12 year old son can do these and it bugs the **** out of me. I can stop well both ways using both edges, but I can't do the one skate outside edge thing. He can do them at full speed. Did it on his first try. He knows it pisses me off that I can't do them so when we're out skating together he'll purposely skate up to me and stop like that and give me a little smirk.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
I wouldn't worry about hollow just yet.

Watch this, it's how I learned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIdr6KOX8uQ

Master the snowplow, then you can start trying the hockey stop.

Really good video.

11-09-2011, 12:09 PM
forbs02
Blergh

Some advice for those who are having trouble with the "scraping" aspect of stopping: I recommend just standing facing the boards and leaning into them a little with your hands. Then just practice pushing your skate along the ice and making snow. It sounds really silly, but it will help you get the feel for the angle you need for your blade to scrape but not cut (turn). Once you are comfortable doing this with each foot go and try to snowplow stop again.

Another thing for learning the two footed hockey stop is to use the inside edges of both skates. Push with the inside edge of the lead foot and drag the inside edge of the back foot. It adds some stability and it keeps you in a more balanced position.

I started skating when I was 16 so I remember the frustration of trying to learn some of this stuff. Just keep practicing and not be afraid to fall down and it will all come to you. Hockey is one of those sports that you can practice a lot and then all of a sudden everything will just click. You will be playing a game and you won't be thinking about mechanics, skating, or anything. You will just be focusing on the game itself.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:10 PM
BIitz
KeepingKlingberg

Them boards are there for a reason son. Fly full speed into them.

BIitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:28 PM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

Old
11-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Haha that's what I did as a kid. I had my growth spurt early so at 10-11 when we were checking I would just blow up all the other kids because I couldn't really stop. Made up for my complete lack of hands/skill/desire.

Old
11-09-2011, 10:34 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
My 12 year old son can do these and it bugs the **** out of me. I can stop well both ways using both edges, but I can't do the one skate outside edge thing. He can do them at full speed. Did it on his first try. He knows it pisses me off that I can't do them so when we're out skating together he'll purposely skate up to me and stop like that and give me a little smirk.
lol! That's awesome!

How I figured it out was to just do a smooth turn on one outside edge, and then as you're turning, you let the back end of your skate blade drift into the turn. (Watch in the video above how he does it.) Once you get the feel of that, then as you're drifting, push down with your outside toes and then you will stop.

It's a bit harder if you have a sharper cut on your skates.

I can't do them full speed yet, but I can do them enough to look cool as I'm coming to the bench.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Jive Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Ugh! Tell me about it. I get the urge to try to learn this in practices every few months, and fall on my ass half dozen times and scrap the idea.
That is funny you guys bring this one up!

I realized the other day that I could do this no problem on my right leg but not my left so I started working on it. Fell on my ass the first 5 times I tried it and it occurred to me that the problem was that I was putting too much weight on the middle of my skate. As soon as I put my weight more over my toes I was good to go.

I'm still a long way from matching the right side but at least it's improvement...

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:03 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Quote:
Same, I always had 100% of my stopping force on the outside leg. The stops some guys do where they come to the bench and lift their forward foot up and stop on the outer edge of their inside skate just amazed me. I've been practicing it a bit though at public skating, holding onto the boards and trying to focus on evening it out. I can see it developing, on one side anyway.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote