HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rinaldo Thread Part 1: Hits like a freight train

Old
11-06-2011, 09:00 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
It's not like people are claiming he's going to be this great power forward with potential to score 40 goals a season.
The person I quoted just compared him to Rick Tocchet. I agree with most of what you just said (I said the other night that he should have gotten more ice time, you can look it up), but excuse me if I take issue with someone who compared him to a lite version of someone who did once score 40 goals on a season.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The person I quoted just compared him to Rick Tocchet. I agree with most of what you just said (I said the other night that he should have gotten more ice time, you can look it up), but excuse me if I take issue with someone who compared him to a lite version of someone who did once score 40 goals on a season.
I think he was comparing their physical attributes. Not skill.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:29 AM
BringBackStevens

I'll admit that he has appeared to be an effective NHLer. If he can keep the stupid reigned in I think it makes sense to keep him up

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:18 AM
SgtJoseph

I like Rinaldo, he is the Italian bob Kelly in my opinion.And last nights hit should NOT be ruled a punishable offense by suspension, he did not target the head period ! Ray Charles, Stevie wonder, and Helen Keller all could see that !The opposing player turned at the last moment and put himself into a bad situation with the Italian hitman.....Its that simple.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 05:12 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
like sm0ka47 said, you may have read that in the wrong context. I was under the impression that he was comparing their physicality only, and not their skill.

It's obvious that Rinaldo's and Tocchet's skill are not on par now, and never will be

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 05:45 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
I wish you weren't so negative when it comes to Rinaldo But i agree he's not on par with Rick. I think they meant the physical game more then anything.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 06:40 PM
lancer247

if he could make himself and effective PKer he would be a really nice 4th liner. Look at how guys like Ott and Cooke carved out nice careers for themselves. Maybe spend a summer working with Brian Skrudland on face offs (not sure if he is still with the Pens caoching staff).

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:43 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
I think he was comparing their physical attributes. Not skill.
Exactly. Thus why I put the lite in there when mentioning tocchet. I can see him as a 3rd liner that can thump people, drop the gloves when necessary, go hard to the net, be very strong on the forecheck. He's shown some decent hands in his limited minutes as well.

He's probably got the top 5 hits on the team through 13 or so games. It's not just the big hits though he just finishes his checks strong all over the ice and he's created goals as a result. He's going nowhere and has likely sent shelley packing.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:42 PM
kicksave27

Anyone but Shelley. Though Simmonds is a good fit for toc

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Totally Radivojevic

I really don't get how anyone could not like him. Best hitter on the team by a mile, one of the best hitters in the league, can fly, forechecks, good hands for a 4th liner, fights, gets under the opposition's skin... love watching him play.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
Exactly. Thus why I put the lite in there when mentioning tocchet. I can see him as a 3rd liner that can thump people, drop the gloves when necessary, go hard to the net, be very strong on the forecheck. He's shown some decent hands in his limited minutes as well.

He's probably got the top 5 hits on the team through 13 or so games. It's not just the big hits though he just finishes his checks strong all over the ice and he's created goals as a result. He's going nowhere and has likely sent shelley packing.
I understand that offensive production isn't everything,even for a third liner, but when you never put up more than 20 points at ANY major level of hockey, how do you reach this conclusion? As someone who cannot (currently, and likely ever) PK, has limited offensive and defensive skills, can hit like a train, but also has a history of being a loose cannon, I see him being nothing more than an inexpensive fourth line agitator.

Flyersfan1493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I understand that offensive production isn't everything,even for a third liner, but when you never put up more than 20 points at ANY major level of hockey, how do you reach this conclusion? As someone who cannot (currently, and likely ever) PK, has limited offensive and defensive skills, can hit like a train, but also has a history of being a loose cannon, I see him being nothing more than an inexpensive fourth line agitator.
He played on the PK in juniors.. I think his offensive ceiling is low but he is better defensively then people give him credit for. If Andreas Nodl or Darroll Powe could be a third liner Zac Rinaldo has the possibility of becoming one. Do i think he can? No. But i'm not a fortune teller so i could be wrong.

Old
11-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPrinceOfBriere View Post
I really don't get how anyone could not like him. Best hitter on the team by a mile, one of the best hitters in the league, can fly, forechecks, good hands for a 4th liner, fights, gets under the opposition's skin... love watching him play.
agreed, i like his grit.

but he does seem to have a switch kinda like Carcillo had.. when that happens theres no controlling him, and he does stupid ****.

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
agreed, i like his grit.

but he does seem to have a switch kinda like Carcillo had.. when that happens theres no controlling him, and he does stupid ****.
His antics like Carcillo are different. Carcillo was just a hot head. Throwing tantrums when he got hit, bad mouthing the refs or just doing stupid **** like that sucker punch on Bradley. Rinaldos problem is he doesn't know when its appropriate to hit a guy.

He is at risk to board a guy or deliver a headshot. Sometimes he looks like he just wants to go for the killshot hit which can get him into trouble. That's why PL told he has to know when to go for a hit and to hold back on some hits.

Old
11-08-2011, 12:40 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

In honor of a fellow Italian...

My new avy I created...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
In honor of a fellow Italian...

My new avy I created...

LOL, ok now thats awesome..

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:18 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Even Jody Shelley put up 25 goals and 44 points in juniors

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Even Jody Shelley put up 25 goals and 44 points in juniors
Rinaldo didn't attempt to score points in juniors. He just looked to kill opposing players

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:06 PM
StandingCow

So, I guess Rinaldo didn't get suspended for his hit? I was sure he was gonna get a few games.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
So, I guess Rinaldo didn't get suspended for his hit? I was sure he was gonna get a few games.
48.1 Illegal Check to the Head A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.

You could tell from the overhead camera that Johanson backs away from of a check from Couturier and spins around right as he is shooting in such away that his head does not become exposed to Rinaldo's path of skating until immediately prior to the hit. I'm sure the league took that into account.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Rinaldo didn't attempt to score points in juniors. He just looked to kill opposing players
You don't see a problem with this? If you don't even have skill to score in the CHL, how can you have enough skill just to play in the NHL? Even the worst skilled enforcers (such as Shelley) put up points in juniors.

Flyersfan1493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
The title of this thread suggests there will ever be a need for a second general Zac Rinaldo thread. That makes me chuckle lots.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:23 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
The title of this thread suggests there will ever be a need for a second general Zac Rinaldo thread. That makes me chuckle lots.
I thought this thread was started by somebody else (Larry)? I think it's a tongue in cheek way of pointing out how Carter and Richards and other players above criticism per the OP had a trilogy or more of threads but Rinaldo can't have the same...

Edit: If it wasn't this thread it was another and he specifically said "apparently some players are allowed to have a thread and not others" (along those lines)....but there can be plausible deniability.

Edit dos: Might have also referred to Jagr and Read and so on having their own threads too. Jagr is on thread II.

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 11-08-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old
11-08-2011, 01:28 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

double post.....

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 11-08-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old
11-09-2011, 12:33 PM
bp spec

Quote:
You don't see a problem with this? If you don't even have skill to score in the CHL, how can you have enough skill just to play in the NHL? Even the worst skilled enforcers (such as Shelley) put up points in juniors.
From what I can see, he didn't mean that Rinaldo didn't have the skills to produce points. He meant that Rinaldo didn't care of scoring points, he just wanted to trash opponents.

I don't care if he scores points, and if he did, it would just be a bonus to his badass game which I love to watch.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote