HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

6.11.2011 Lightning @ Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2011, 11:58 PM
CanadianPantherFan

vCash: 500
Conditioning seems to be lacking,not heart. When Weiss and Kuli are getting gassed in OT, while of all players Vinnie is breaking up an odd man rush presumed goal by Jovo...that tells me something.

Markstrom needs to be playing ,but that's been said enough already. Teams are driving the net at Theo with speed coming down the wings. Our DEF is too soft on rushing attacks... never thought that would be a concern coming into the season with Guds,Kuli,Jovo etc...

Pretty frustrated with giving up that type of lead, another point though.

Old
11-07-2011, 03:11 AM
jakethesnake23

retract comment

Old
11-07-2011, 06:18 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Conditioning seems to be lacking,not heart. When Weiss and Kuli are getting gassed in OT, while of all players Vinnie is breaking up an odd man rush presumed goal by Jovo...that tells me something.

Markstrom needs to be playing ,but that's been said enough already. Teams are driving the net at Theo with speed coming down the wings. Our DEF is too soft on rushing attacks... never thought that would be a concern coming into the season with Guds,Kuli,Jovo etc...

Pretty frustrated with giving up that type of lead, another point though.
It seemed like the Bolts were swarming Theo all night making him scramble and shrink back into the net. It was pretty obvious to me that he didn't quite trust his defensemen in this game.

Old
11-07-2011, 07:21 AM
GernBlanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
It seemed like the Bolts were swarming Theo all night making him scramble and shrink back into the net. It was pretty obvious to me that he didn't quite trust his defensemen in this game.
Exactly.

We are not clearing out in front of the net. THAT is something I'm putting on Jovo, but nobody is doing much of a job of that. TB got way too many cheap shots from inside of 12 feet that never should have happened.

Old
11-07-2011, 09:50 AM
SunDin

I know Panthers D wasnt making it easy for Theo, but man he looks so small in the net.
Compared to Markstrom he looks even smaller.

He is decent, but I think Markstrom is atleast in the same level as Theo right now, and if he get ice time he will for sure get better..

Old
11-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
For everyone calling to sit Jovo, I'd say that Weaver has made as many bad plays if not worse in the last 2-3 games (and I've gotta good views of all of them the last 3 games from my season tickets). I'd say sit Weaver before Jovo if even for just 1 game.
I agree, Weaver is really starting to frustrate me. I think he just had a career year last year and is really barely surviving right now still being used in a top 4 role. He is without doubt one of the top 5 worst hands d-men in the NHL. Even in a career offensive year last year most of his goals were flukes. His puckhandling is atrocious and too often already this season he has fumbled the puck in his zone and it's lead to turnovers as he couldn't get the puck out. He also hangs onto it too long sometimes and then it inevitably leads to turnovers when we can't get a clean breakout. With him if he doesn't have a clear passing lane it should be off the glass and boards as quickly as possible. He gave the puck right to Lecavalier 10 feet from the net when it was tied at 3 because he couldn't hold onto the puck. I'd rather play Ellerby than him right now. Jovo has been much better than Weaver so far this season. Aside from a few lazy/botched clears and a couple missed assignments in front of his own net, Jovo has been solid this season.

Old
11-07-2011, 07:38 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Weaver has been awful in clearing pucks out of the D zone this season.

Old
11-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I agree, Weaver is really starting to frustrate me. I think he just had a career year last year and is really barely surviving right now still being used in a top 4 role. He is without doubt one of the top 5 worst hands d-men in the NHL. Even in a career offensive year last year most of his goals were flukes. His puckhandling is atrocious and too often already this season he has fumbled the puck in his zone and it's lead to turnovers as he couldn't get the puck out. He also hangs onto it too long sometimes and then it inevitably leads to turnovers when we can't get a clean breakout. With him if he doesn't have a clear passing lane it should be off the glass and boards as quickly as possible. He gave the puck right to Lecavalier 10 feet from the net when it was tied at 3 because he couldn't hold onto the puck. I'd rather play Ellerby than him right now. Jovo has been much better than Weaver so far this season. Aside from a few lazy/botched clears and a couple missed assignments in front of his own net, Jovo has been solid this season.
Yeah and I think Weaver has been overrated by some for his PK work last season as well (plus his last yr in St Louis). He's an average bottom pairing d-man and really shouldnt be put into a role any higher like we've done. I'd almost rather pair Jovo up with Kulikov and see how they do as the 2nd pair. And then rotate Ellerby with Gudbranson with Weaver on the 3rd pairing until one of the youngsters really steps up. I'm sure at some point this yr Tallon is gonna trade Weaver anyway.

Old
11-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Southern Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Yeah and I think Weaver has been overrated by some for his PK work last season as well (plus his last yr in St Louis). He's an average bottom pairing d-man and really shouldnt be put into a role any higher like we've done. I'd almost rather pair Jovo up with Kulikov and see how they do as the 2nd pair. And then rotate Ellerby with Gudbranson with Weaver on the 3rd pairing until one of the youngsters really steps up. I'm sure at some point this yr Tallon is gonna trade Weaver anyway.
Finally people realize this. I've been saying that Weaver is the most over-rated player on the team since the beginning of last season.

Old
11-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Hockey View Post
Finally people realize this. I've been saying that Weaver is the most over-rated player on the team since the beginning of last season.
I think he was very good last season, nothing great, could just be because of some of our other defenders we had out there last season.

11-08-2011, 09:25 AM
RainingRats

I think Weaver has always been bad with clearing the pucks and has had weak hands but the problem I have is he's useless around the net whenever someone big is his guy to defend. i.e. Malone last game.

Weaver and Jovo both need to sit. Hell, I'd sit Kulikov too. I think it can really help a player out, it isn't a punishment in any way which I think some posters interpret it as.

Old
11-08-2011, 09:40 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I think Weaver has always been bad with clearing the pucks and has had weak hands but the problem I have is he's useless around the net whenever someone big is his guy to defend. i.e. Malone last game.

Weaver and Jovo both need to sit. Hell, I'd sit Kulikov too. I think it can really help a player out, it isn't a punishment in any way which I think some posters interpret it as.
As many of us said, it's a long season and injuries occur I have no problem wih EACH defenseman sitting on occasion.

Old
11-08-2011, 11:07 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Hockey View Post
now that booth's gone, maybe you're right

seriously, that's not saying much, is it?

he is what he is. a role guy. he survives (survived) by sound positioning and a good (long) stick. he's a below (maybe way) average skater and has pretty bad hands as others, have mentioned. i don't think anyone thinks much more of him. he's one of those guys, like ballard (-11 now! for those who say he's playing better...), who struggles with a heavier load, going up against consistently better players. he's smarter than ballard but less gifted physically.

in any case, i agree - he's struggled, more than anyone else. he's getting too many minutes, imo. both he and jovo have looked tired down the stretch in games but he seems to be getting exposed a bit more on the whole. i mentioned the fatigue observation a while back, fwiw.

Closed Thread