HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal (10/5: Out indefinitely, on IR)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-08-2011, 09:22 AM
  #951
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Do concussions ever lay dormant? Because lets not forget that Marc finished the season and the playoffs, logging huge minutes the whole time, and we didn't really see or hear anything that suggested a long term issue.
he said he felt run down and kinda cruddy after games, but figured it was from playing so much since by that point in the season you're always tired and run down

Levitate is online now  
Old
11-08-2011, 09:38 AM
  #952
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Do concussions ever lay dormant? Because lets not forget that Marc finished the season and the playoffs, logging huge minutes the whole time, and we didn't really see or hear anything that suggested a long term issue.
Depends on what you read and believe. Medical science has bounced back and forth on this. Some think once you are over a concussion, it's finshed. Others not so sure. Having had three concussions myself, I never felt a dormancy or carryover but who really knows?

bobbop is offline  
Old
11-08-2011, 09:41 AM
  #953
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,919
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Sounds like a nerve problem, to me. Disc problem, maybe. That could end a career, too, if it's really bad.
It can, but it begs the question if Staal is capable of playing right now.

I don't know for a fact but I believe that if push came to shove, Staal could be playing for the Rangers right now. Management wants him to recover completely so he can be a big part of this team in the upcoming years.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline  
Old
11-08-2011, 09:54 AM
  #954
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
It can, but it begs the question if Staal is capable of playing right now.

I don't know for a fact but I believe that if push came to shove, Staal could be playing for the Rangers right now. Management wants him to recover completely so he can be a big part of this team in the upcoming years.
I agree.

Staal played through the rest of last season after getting hit, so I think he is trying to recover to 100%.

Jabroni is offline  
Old
11-08-2011, 10:09 AM
  #955
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,198
vCash: 500
Awards:
I hope you guys are correct. That rationale certainly seems plausible.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
11-08-2011, 10:09 AM
  #956
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,621
vCash: 500
Which is the best thing to do.

I'm bummed that it looks like he'll be out for awhile at least...probably half the year at this rate, if not longer, but at least everyone has really stepped it up. Hopefully guys can keep playing at their current level, and if the Rangers could get Staal back in time for the playoffs (allowing for some games to shake off the rust) then it could be a huge boost for the team

Levitate is online now  
Old
11-08-2011, 10:17 AM
  #957
SherWood Lumber 76
Registered User
 
SherWood Lumber 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Depends on what you read and believe. Medical science has bounced back and forth on this. Some think once you are over a concussion, it's finshed. Others not so sure. Having had three concussions myself, I never felt a dormancy or carryover but who really knows?
I've suffered three myself, bunch of headcases around here

Each time it was harder to recover from the last. The first was the most severe, blacked out for a good 7 to 10 minutes. Ever since then(almost 20 years ago) my jaw has been extremely fragile where it gets hit, just pressing on it gives me serious pain.

IMO, you never fully recover from severe head trauma.


Last edited by SherWood Lumber 76: 11-08-2011 at 12:49 PM.
SherWood Lumber 76 is offline  
Old
11-08-2011, 10:58 AM
  #958
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,056
vCash: 500
ive had 2 concussions. the first one was severe, i lost pretty much an entire day of my life. ppl tell me what happened and how i was repeating myself over and over and over again, but nobody knew wtf was wrong till they found out i had a concussion. it took me a looooonnnngggg time to recover... thats what happens when you play tackle football without any protective gear with your buddies.


the 2nd was about 6 months ago, got slewfooted on the ice, and slammed the back of my head onto the rink. had a severe headache, but didnt lose any time. i actually ended up playing in a game the very next day with the concussion, the headaches, the dizziness, etc, but it was a championship game, and i wasnt going to miss it being the #1 defenseman for our team (im insane, leave me alone ...and i ended up scoring a goal and 2 assists so its a good thing i played ) and by the next day it was nearly gone, and the day after that, gone completely.

so im kinda a different situation. my 2nd concussion was much milder, despite a violent smashing of my head into the ice (Thank god science for helmets!) and on top of the my 2nd concussion didnt last nearly as long as the first one. i also played a game right after and it didnt seem to prolong it at all as the symptoms got easier and easier.


so from reading what you guys have gone through, and what ive gone through, i can say....i think we know why there is so little consensus when it comes to concussions

Inferno is offline  
Old
11-08-2011, 11:21 AM
  #959
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Do concussions ever lay dormant? Because lets not forget that Marc finished the season and the playoffs, logging huge minutes the whole time, and we didn't really see or hear anything that suggested a long term issue.
thats the most puzzling part...logically you have to think that something happened over the summer that made this work. i can't say it never happens but i can't think of an example of a delayed reaction PCS like this before.

and this might be why the rangers had his neck checked and were looking for non-concussion reasons

CM PUNK is online now  
Old
11-08-2011, 11:30 AM
  #960
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,856
vCash: 500
From: @ice_chip
Sent: Nov 8, 2011 12:22p

Eric said again today that Marc's post-concussion issues is not affecting his play and productivity.

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/ice_chip/status/133957640308006912

Huh?

Eric is going to visit Marc this week here. The Canes play in NJ tonight and then the NYR on Friday.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
11-08-2011, 11:31 AM
  #961
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,856
vCash: 500
From: @ice_chip
Sent: Nov 8, 2011 12:20p

Eric Staal says he will see his brother, Marc, while in New York this week.

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/ice_chip/status/133957018032680960

Maybe they should check Eric for a concussion.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
11-08-2011, 11:38 AM
  #962
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,919
vCash: 50
If Eric staal is -16 in 14 games and his play hasn't been affected by Marc, then you have to wonder why he has been so awful.

You also have to wonder how a guy who hasn't bested a PPG since the stat inflated post lockout year landed a 7.8 mil contract when he was going to be an RFA.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
11-08-2011, 11:38 AM
  #963
EEDAWGZ
Registered User
 
EEDAWGZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Queens,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
What really sucks is that even if he does return he might not be the same physical Staal,and just a shell of his former self. hopefully he can recover 100 percent

EEDAWGZ is offline  
Old
11-08-2011, 11:43 AM
  #964
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
From: @ice_chip
Sent: Nov 8, 2011 12:22p

Eric said again today that Marc's post-concussion issues is not affecting his play and productivity.

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/ice_chip/status/133957640308006912

Huh?

Eric is going to visit Marc this week here. The Canes play in NJ tonight and then the NYR on Friday.
i think eric is referring to himself...hes saying him knocking out his brother is not effecting his own performance.

Inferno is offline  
Old
11-08-2011, 11:43 AM
  #965
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY
 
1Knee1T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
What really sucks is that even if he does return he might not be the same physical Staal,and just a shell of his former self. hopefully he can recover 100 percent
I think he'll be the same Staal. If this really is PCS then he must have played with a concussion, and he did just fine after the hit. I think after he takes his first in-game hit and feels fine, he'll be back to normal.

1Knee1T is offline  
Old
11-08-2011, 11:59 AM
  #966
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,440
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
If Eric staal is -16 in 14 games and his play hasn't been affected by Marc, then you have to wonder why he has been so awful.

You also have to wonder how a guy who hasn't bested a PPG since the stat inflated post lockout year landed a 7.8 mil contract when he was going to be an RFA.
Eric Staal's cap hit is actually 8.25m. How he scored such a lucrative amount can be summed up in the following: face of the franchise. As a Stanley Cup winning hero in Carolina, they essentially were willing to give him a blank check, but due to financial considerations needed to backload the salary (he tops out at a $9.5m salary in 2015-2016). Letting Staal walk as a UFA (which he could've been this summer) would've been a PR nightmare in Carolina. So they bought 5 UFA years and ended up with a terrible cap hit because they backloaded the deal.

Carolina better hope he returns to form (which I expect he will, he has started slow in the past), because that cap hit would make it very hard to get a return commiserate with what his value should be. Think Phaneuf trade, but worse.

azrok22 is offline  
Old
11-08-2011, 12:53 PM
  #967
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i think eric is referring to himself...hes saying him knocking out his brother is not effecting his own performance.
Lol that's definitely what it meant (even though it's not true).

ColonialsHockey10 is online now  
Old
11-09-2011, 11:50 AM
  #968
EEDAWGZ
Registered User
 
EEDAWGZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Queens,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
I think he'll be the same Staal. If this really is PCS then he must have played with a concussion, and he did just fine after the hit. I think after he takes his first in-game hit and feels fine, he'll be back to normal.
good point, fingers crossed

EEDAWGZ is offline  
Old
11-09-2011, 11:51 AM
  #969
WeWillWinTonight
Registered User
 
WeWillWinTonight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,949
vCash: 500
I miss Marc

WeWillWinTonight is offline  
Old
11-11-2011, 02:09 AM
  #970
King of cool
The winning hat
 
King of cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Under your skin
Country: France
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
Staal hasn't skated or done any off-ice training for a month, ordered by the doc.

Quote:
A news blackout has been imposed regarding Marc’s condition, but The Post has learned the 24-year-old defenseman will be examined next week in Boston by concussion specialist Dr. Robert Cantu.

The examination, sources have told The Post, will follow a one-month “shutdown” period ordered by Cantu when Staal visited him during the week of Oct. 16 while the Rangers were in western Canada.

The Rangers at that point were optimistic Staal, who had previously undergone repeated acupuncture in Toronto and had received a cortisone shot in the neck from physicians at the University of Buffalo on Sept. 26 as treatment for the intermittent headaches he had been experiencing since at least late summer, would be cleared to resume skating after being off the ice for a couple of weeks.

Cantu, however, went in the opposite direction, mandating Staal cease all physical activity for a month. For the last three weeks, the defenseman has been resting at his apartment in Manhattan.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1dNl02w3J

King of cool is offline  
Old
11-11-2011, 02:16 AM
  #971
17futurecap
Registered User
 
17futurecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,806
vCash: 500
Just have to hope for the best when he goes for his exam next week.

17futurecap is offline  
Old
11-11-2011, 02:18 AM
  #972
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Just have to hope for the best when he goes for his exam next week.
I hope after having the last month off, resting in his apartment, that he is feeling somewhat better.

RGY is offline  
Old
11-11-2011, 04:45 AM
  #973
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,856
vCash: 500
I know what Eric Staal meant. Has he seen any video of HIS game? How can say what happened to Marc is not hurting his performance? He looks like Scott Gomez after he signed with the Rangers.

Looking at the article by Brooks,Rosen and Micheletti were right. Rosen made those comments on XM and Joe Mic said the Rangers would have an update on Staal "tomorrow". 3 week timeline. Rangers were on the west coast. The Rangers were on Van on a Tuesday and were off the next day. The Rangers never issued any update. October 18. Three weeks on Wednesday.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
11-11-2011, 05:16 AM
  #974
abev
HFBoards Sponsor
 
abev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
It will be months before Staal comes back. It's not a stretch to ask if he'll ever come back at this point. Not only is he not working out, but no one's "even seen him" around.

The Rangers knowingly put Staal's career and quality of life on the line when they ignored the initial concussion. "Baseline test" and "They would never do that" don't work here. The Rangers knew and choose to be irresponsible. I laugh when the media people say they didn't know either. Someone should have had the guts to report it.

abev is offline  
Old
11-11-2011, 05:31 AM
  #975
vippe
Registered User
 
vippe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,882
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
It will be months before Staal comes back. It's not a stretch to ask if he'll ever come back at this point. Not only is he not working out, but no one's "even seen him" around.

The Rangers knowingly put Staal's career and quality of life on the line when they ignored the initial concussion. "Baseline test" and "They would never do that" don't work here. The Rangers knew and choose to be irresponsible. I laugh when the media people say they didn't know either. Someone should have had the guts to report it.
Either that or Marc just didnt tell the doctors the whole story.. I mean you play for a full years just to play the post-season.. Maybe he was thinking he could pull it through?

vippe is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.