HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2011, 10:00 AM
timbitca

vCash: 500
Nobody's denying his action. What we're denying is the sevirity of it. There's no way that 2-hander was worth a Match.

Old
11-08-2011, 11:40 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Nobody's denying his action. What we're denying is the sevirity of it. There's no way that 2-hander was worth a Match.
lets post some video on this incident

Old
11-08-2011, 11:52 AM
cookiecutter

We are back!

The league is gradually shrinking to the point where anyone can beat anyone. Tommies are in that club and climbing. Two years from now we will have forgotten that last place existed.

Old
11-08-2011, 12:03 PM
cookiecutter

referring

I, for one, just let the refs call the game and try not to blame them for outcomes. I think things average out over the decades. At one time they had to ref Junior and the next weekend university. Rules are different, players are different and penalities are different. If I was reffering University, I would tell the linesman to let the pushing and shoving go and simply hand out the 2 minutes for the foolishness.

Old
11-08-2011, 02:40 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
lets post some video on this incident
Wish I could, and I hopefully will in a timely matter (once everything is resolved) but were I to post it now I'd likely get barred from campus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutter View Post
I, for one, just let the refs call the game and try not to blame them for outcomes. I think things average out over the decades. At one time they had to ref Junior and the next weekend university. Rules are different, players are different and penalities are different. If I was reffering University, I would tell the linesman to let the pushing and shoving go and simply hand out the 2 minutes for the foolishness.
I don't put much effort in blaming referees or arguing with them, wether I see eye to eye with them or not. Being an ex minor hockey referee myself I know you can't see everything on the ice nor please everyone; and if the referee says the sky is green, well the sky is green and you aren't going to win an argument over it either. However, the 2nd part of your post still stands, most of the referees we see in the AUS are also junior referees, and I have no problem with that seeing as it takes a higher level of qualification to ref in the QMJHL vs the AUS, doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me but that's what it is. I believe all the referee's we see in the AUS in New-Brunswick are qualified to referee major junior. Can't say the same for NS and PEI though, at least not last time I went down the list (last season at some point). The major problem with the refereeing around these parts is the lack of man power. And all the good ones are getting eaten up by the pros (Ghislain and Jean Hebert for example). Some I wouldn't mind see going to the pro, but alas they're still here for a reason...

Old
11-08-2011, 02:49 PM
WilcoxHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I kind of found it interesting that the article only states "Moncton forward Alex Quesnel, who came to Gaudet's defence after the hit, also received a match penalty." It conveniently fails to mention that "coming to Gaudet's defense" involved deliberately two-handing Van Laren.
The writers who put these articles you are quoting in print for the teams that they cover appear to be incapable of presenting unbiased reporting. Regardless of which team it is it seems all about crafting stories that make the home team look good. I understand that the purpose of the articles are to picture the home team in a good light and hopefully attract more fans but they end up coming across like political party spin doctors and after awhile have very little credibility.

Old
11-08-2011, 03:20 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
The writers who put these articles you are quoting in print for the teams that they cover appear to be incapable of presenting unbiased reporting. Regardless of which team it is it seems all about crafting stories that make the home team look good. I understand that the purpose of the articles are to picture the home team in a good light and hopefully attract more fans but they end up coming across like political party spin doctors and after awhile have very little credibility.
Not to defend the journalists or anything... but there wasn't a journalist of either french or english local papers at the game.

And I repeat for the 1,000,000th time, the slash wasn't as bad as STUTOMMIES is trying to make it sound, he hit him on the side of the knee pad. 2-handers like that, unfortunately, are almost routine...

Chris Van Laren walked out of the arena with barely a limp, same can't be said of Chris Gaudet...

Old
11-08-2011, 03:41 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Not to defend the journalists or anything... but there wasn't a journalist of either french or english local papers at the game.

And I repeat for the 1,000,000th time, the slash wasn't as bad as STUTOMMIES is trying to make it sound, he hit him on the side of the knee pad. 2-handers like that, unfortunately, are almost routine...

Chris Van Laren walked out of the arena with barely a limp, same can't be said of Chris Gaudet...
OK, this is where we disagree. I saw the slash as the camera focused on it. Van Laren's back was turned and Quensel slashed him from behind. Van Laren did not have pads on the back of his legs. IT was cheap, it was dirty, and it wasn't a defensive slash, it was a two handed baseball bat swing. No guts at all, NONE!! If he would have tackled him and fought, that is sticking up for your team mate. There was no glory in what Quensnel did, it made Les Aigles look bad, and reinforces their negative stereotype.

Van Laren could not feel his leg, it was hard, and Quensel is lucky it wasn't more serious.

The hit was bad enough but those hits will continue to happen because you can't tell a defenceman to not hit the guy trying to gain access to your zone. Gaudet had his head down and took a big hit that hurt him, I'm sorry about that, I'm sure Chris VL is sorry, as nobody is looking to injure someone....except Quensnel.

IMO.

Old
11-08-2011, 03:46 PM
cookiecutter

my my

Things heating up boys?

Old
11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Wish I could, and I hopefully will in a timely matter (once everything is resolved) but were I to post it now I'd likely get barred from campus.
you could email it to me. If you guys use Steva hockey like we do at RMC you can just build a movie and email it to me in a .wmv format. I tried watching it on webcast but UdeM dosent archive the games

Old
11-08-2011, 07:32 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
you could email it to me. If you guys use Steva hockey like we do at RMC you can just build a movie and email it to me in a .wmv format. I tried watching it on webcast but UdeM dosent archive the games
Of course we use Steva, I'm the one who runs it. But the powers that be don't want the video released. Once the appeals are done with I'll put it up somewheres.

Old
11-08-2011, 08:29 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Of course we use Steva, I'm the one who runs it. But the powers that be don't want the video released. Once the appeals are done with I'll put it up somewheres.
isint the program just absolutley sick?? But looking forward to it. I had to make a movie to send to the OUA cause there was a blindside hit to the head from behind on our player that should warrant a look by the OUA.

Old
11-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Island Husky

Quote:

Doesn't matter, I will state for the millionth time, it is not the severity of the offence, think of the NFL where the penalty for throat slashing motion is game ejection, it is the intent of the act. Pointing a rifle at someone doesn't do near the damage shooting them with it does, but it is still a serious offence. And lastly, When I was in midget some 30 years ago, I was run from behind, ruptured my spleen, bleeding internally, going into shock, walked out of the arena with a guy on each arm, to, get this....the jeers of the other team. "I wasn't hurt" they declared, guy never even got a penalty couldn't be that serious one guy said. Emergency surgery in the same town, in hospital for ten days, no hockey for a year. It is the same when a guy gets hit from behind and I hear it constantly,"He could see the guy coming"...Bullsh... small consolation to a quadripaligic, "he could see him coming"?? which gives the offender absolute right to cream him through the boards from behind? By the same token a referee cannot determine whether say, Van Laren was hurt or not, and whether Quensel meant it or didn't mean it, all he knows for sure is the two hands were on the stick, and he chopped him. It's all in the act.

Old
11-10-2011, 04:41 AM
STUTOMMIES

For all my mouth on the subject of the Van Laren incident, I believe everyone should read this. It is from today's Daily Gleaner.

Quote:
"I think Van Laren deserves the four-game suspension, and I don't believe, I don't think, the Moncton player deserves the four-game suspension," Ryan said.
So there you have it from a Tommies perspective that means something, not some guy who watched it on a webcast.

I still hope Gaudet is feeling better.

Old
11-10-2011, 06:38 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Go to Troy's office and re-watch the video a few times, and ask him for his opinion on both offences. That's all I'm going to say. I wish I was at liberty to post the video I have, sadly I'm not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
For all my mouth on the subject of the Van Laren incident, I believe everyone should read this. It is from today's Daily Gleaner.

So there you have it from a Tommies perspective that means something, not some guy who watched it on a webcast.

I still hope Gaudet is feeling better.
He told Serge pretty much the same thing on ice after the game and to myself also later on. Didn't want to quote him, but looks like he went ahead and did it himself. Props to Troy on that.

Old
11-10-2011, 10:19 AM
gleanerguy

Didn't see it, obviously, but tremendous quote from Troy Ryan. From a media perspective, love his perspective and love his candor and honesty. Marked contrast to many coaches.

Old
11-10-2011, 01:07 PM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Didn't see it, obviously, but tremendous quote from Troy Ryan. From a media perspective, love his perspective and love his candor and honesty. Marked contrast to many coaches.
RIGHT ON GLEANER GUY: Troy Ryan is one of the most forthright young men that I have ever met.........he will call them as he sees them and his integraty is without question.

Didn't see the incident(s) YET but I would caution anybody's interpretation who wasn't in the rink........I WAS NOT!

I t was HONEST of Troy to comment about the penalty to Moncton maybe being too harsh and I would accept that from one who was in the rink at the time.

I took the time to meet Coach Ryan et al opening weekend in Nova Scotia and the subsequent homestand and concluded that STU had hired the right guy and that there will be better times ahead,I also discerned at the time that the LOSING record was a statistical reference only and that many,many good things were happining with the Tommies which was finally showcased with a couple of statistical wins. against UPEI & X.
This team will do the school and it's followers proud and will battle hard all year in a conference which is growing steadfastly to be closer and closer.

Unfortunate incident(s) in the Moncton game have no place in any level of hockey but very refreshing to hear our coach NOT compound the problems by feeding the masses "oderiferous effluvia"

Your continuous great reporting work Gleaner Guy is most appreciated by those of us who are still in exile in "upper Canada"

Old
11-10-2011, 04:33 PM
cookiecutter

Coaches

I think, for the most part that Eagles was an honest and likable guy. Most know I did not care for him as AD and coach. I think Ryan is doing a great job. I really really hope that Mike and Eric can support him fully for whatever his tenure turns out to be.

Old
11-12-2011, 08:58 AM
rantfather

[COACHES:COLOR="DarkGreen"][/COLOR]I am sure that Coach Ryan and Bissobbette know what they are doing with the current men's Tommies.
Close to 800 fans who witnessed last nights game would have been impressed with the teams ability to stay in and come back in the game and force an O/T.

I still believe that a playoff berth is possible and that we are witnessing the return of competitive hockey at STU being engineered by the current coaches, whether this team is being supported by current A/D is anybody's guess as I would begin to worry if the previous coach had ANYTHING to do with the team.

These current coaches should be given FULL credit for getting this team headed in the right direction,

GO TOMMIES GO!

Old
11-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Rob

STU 6 STFX 5 (so)

Very exciting game tonight. I thought STU might be in trouble after Ryan called the timeout a couple of minutes into the game.

I don't know if they'll make the playoffs but the are definitely better than the past two seasons.

Last edited by Rob: 11-12-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old
11-12-2011, 08:24 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I'm sure you meant St. FX and not Acadia, but nonetheless a big win for STU tonight, and a very good weekend overall. Although I am starting to wonder about X...

Old
11-14-2011, 03:57 PM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
GLEANER GUY!

did I miss the article in today/s web version of the X game in the Gleaner?

Looked to me like a good old fashioned AUS game which probably was missing a number of fans who really missed a good one,

Outcomes are becoming more and more unpredictable as the competition gets closer and closer most nights.
I have said for yeras that this is why AUS teams do well at Nationals as they have to show up EVERY night which readies them for competition at Nationals.

STU fans get out there and enjoy the competition;

Old
11-18-2011, 05:56 AM
STUTOMMIES

Not impressed with Van Laren's suspension being increased. Not one bit. He had .5 of a second to react to Gaudet dropping the puck back. Is Moncton going to complain to the AUS that time is going to fast as well? The hit was to the head, we have established that, but I completely disagree with any intent to injure. Quensel on the other hand wanted revenge and was looking to chop someones leg off.

Well Moncton, beware the whirligig of time.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:07 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

I agree, it seems completely ridiculous to me that someone can get suspended for more games for something that involves a split-second decision (and in all likelihood was accidental) over an act that was clearly deliberate.

Interestingly the exact same thing happened in the OHL this past week. Niagra forward Tom Khunackl was suspended 20 games for a questionable high hit on Kitchener defenseman Ryan Murphy while London forward Ryan Rupert was only given 5 games for slashing Sault Ste. Marie forward Nick Cousins in the stomach after a game, and then proceeded to jump on him while he was down and punch him.

Khunackl hit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvzxjoMSuCk
Rupert slash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cbsiHPxZfY

It has basically came down to the fact that any hit to the head, no matter the intent or lack thereof, will be more heavily punished than anything else, no matter how bad it is.

Old
11-19-2011, 06:19 AM
STUTOMMIES

I must say that one last night hurt. Good crowd, lots of former Tommies in attendance but that late goal, oh to have it back. Perhaps I'm getting spoiled but the novelty of the one goal losses is fast losing its appeal. We have 3 wins but looking back we could just as easily be sitting with 6 or 7 if we got one bounce in a few games.

Hoping STU can brush that off and head to PEI ready to face a team on a great high after beating UNB last night. 5th year former Tommie Devan Praught scored the winner last night against them. That must feel good for him.

Closed Thread