HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Let's face it, this team isn't good....BUT

Old
11-08-2011, 05:48 AM
scott99

vCash: 500
Let's face it, this team isn't good....BUT

It's painfully obvious this team isn't any good. Sure there is some talent (Tavares, Grabner, Streit, Hamonic, Macdonald), but the defense as a whole is slow and old, the offense has way too many soft players who are floaters, and obviously the coach isn't getting to them, or his system isn't a good one.

I fear last season's late improvement was a mirage, due to the fact that they were practically out of the playoffs and played under no pressure. The offseason additions to this team were laughable, and the losses were underrated. The loss of Konopka has been huge. Not only was he tough, he was a leader the young guys looked up to.

It's obvious, even if they make a small run after December, their will be a lottery pick in an Isle's jersey come June 2012.

That being said, I put a BUT in the title, the but is, this team has more top notch prospects than I can ever remember them having. Even if some of them fail to live up to their billing (Okposo & Bailey), just the sheer amount of good prospects, some are bound to be good players, maybe even great. Even guys some like myself have written off, guys like Dibenedetto and Koskinen have rebounded nicely after slow starts to their pro careers.

I'm really excited about the Isles future, we aren't seeing what this team will look like in a year or two. The Bailey's, Comeau's, Rolston's of the world will be replaced by the Strome's, Petrov's, Niederreiter's and Kabanov's. The current plodding defenders will be replaced by the speedier Ness's and Dehaan's, as well as Donovan, Mayfield and Pedan wait in the wings. 2012 will only bring more loot to the team.

Yes I know, we've all had hopes for our prospects in the last 20 years of losing, but I don't think we've ever had this many top notch prospects in the last 20 years.

I rather be winning, I rather have the last pick in the 1st round. After the first 4 games I was excited. But the last 8 games are showing this team's true colors. We just arent good (2nd worst record in the league).

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
It's painfully obvious this team isn't any good. Sure there is some talent (Tavares, Grabner, Streit, Hamonic, Macdonald), but the defense as a whole is slow and old, the offense has way too many soft players who are floaters, and obviously the coach isn't getting to them, or his system isn't a good one.

I fear last season's late improvement was a mirage, due to the fact that they were practically out of the playoffs and played under no pressure. The offseason additions to this team were laughable, and the losses were underrated. The loss of Konopka has been huge. Not only was he tough, he was a leader the young guys looked up to.

It's obvious, even if they make a small run after December, their will be a lottery pick in an Isle's jersey come June 2012.

That being said, I put a BUT in the title, the but is, this team has more top notch prospects than I can ever remember them having. Even if some of them fail to live up to their billing (Okposo & Bailey), just the sheer amount of good prospects, some are bound to be good players, maybe even great. Even guys some like myself have written off, guys like Dibenedetto and Koskinen have rebounded nicely after slow starts to their pro careers.

I'm really excited about the Isles future, we aren't seeing what this team will look like in a year or two. The Bailey's, Comeau's, Rolston's of the world will be replaced by the Strome's, Petrov's, Niederreiter's and Kabanov's. The current plodding defenders will be replaced by the speedier Ness's and Dehaan's, as well as Donovan, Mayfield and Pedan wait in the wings. 2012 will only bring more loot to the team.

Yes I know, we've all had hopes for our prospects in the last 20 years of losing, but I don't think we've ever had this many top notch prospects in the last 20 years.

I rather be winning, I rather have the last pick in the 1st round. After the first 4 games I was excited. But the last 8 games are showing this team's true colors. We just arent good (2nd worst record in the league).
All the prospects in the world aren't going to do squat when instead of being surround (and groomed) by respected, experienced, effective vets, they are forced to play with the dumpster dive du jour.

I don't care how many lottery picks they accumulate. The future looks bleak. Quebec is looking better and better every day.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:57 AM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
All the prospects in the world aren't going to do squat when instead of being surround (and groomed) by respected, experienced, effective vets, they are forced to play with the dumpster dive du jour.

I don't care how many lottery picks they accumulate. The future looks bleak. Quebec is looking better and better every day.
Great attitude. Sounds like you've given up so stop watching the Isles and move to Quebec in anticipation of their arrival.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:07 AM
DoggyOnDown

the only light at the end of this tunnel is an on coming train! I see we have finally moved to last place..... ahhh home sweet home

DoggyOnDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:23 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post

I disagree with this. I think the future looks great, I think the present is bleak. Like I said, this isn't your Islander's of old, when Ryan O'Marra and Robert Nilsson were our best prospects. The Islanders actually have some elite prospects (Strome, Niederreiter, Kabanov & Petrov and maybe Lee), as well as very good prospects (DeHaan, Donovan, Cizikas, Nelson, Poulin, Anders Nilsson, etc). Some are bound to make it as good to very good NHL'ers, some are bound to be busts. I doubt ALL of them will be busts.

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Great attitude. Sounds like you've given up so stop watching the Isles and move to Quebec in anticipation of their arrival.
This is Islander Country... Love it or leave it!

Thanks for your concern but I already moved to Boston where an actual NHL team plays.

Old
11-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I disagree with this. I think the future looks great, I think the present is bleak. Like I said, this isn't your Islander's of old, when Ryan O'Marra and Robert Nilsson were our best prospects. The Islanders actually have some elite prospects (Strome, Niederreiter, Kabanov & Petrov and maybe Lee), as well as very good prospects (DeHaan, Donovan, Cizikas, Nelson, Poulin, Anders Nilsson, etc). Some are bound to make it as good to very good NHL'ers, some are bound to be busts. I doubt ALL of them will be busts.
Problem is there aren't any quality vets to take the burden off the youngsters and allow them to properly develop. We've been through the same scenario before. Many times. They may not be all busts but the odds are severely stacked against them given the wretched environment they are forced to develop in.