HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tinordi signed a 3 year contract with the Habs

Old
11-03-2011, 02:18 AM
Toro

vCash: 500
Glad this kid is developing and management is impressed enough to sign him. I havent seen him enough to have an informed opinion but like what I see.

Hope he makes team USA, would love to see him perform on that stage.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Are you kidding me? I thought the kid was leaps and bounds better than he was described to me. (First time seeing him outside of videos)

The kid is going to be a force in this league imo. I can't believe people doubt him. He's almost AHL ready imo. Guys like that (big defensive D) take time to fill out and develop.
If he's almost AHL-ready then he's VHL-ready also. But I suppose Magnitogorsk doesn't want him just yet, now that he's signed by the Habs.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
I understand, but I think it's the first time the Montreal Canadiens sign a junior player as soon as November and even before the season is finished... Why do this with Tinordi, anything special to interpret???
It's probably more that he's been injured for a few weeks, so he's had a chance to sit and chat about it with his agent, as he hasn't been playing games every few nights.

Either way, I don't think anyone is surprised that he got signed. Here's hoping he can round out into a 2nd/3rd pairing defensive D, good PKer and leader who can clear the crease and drop the mitts if needed.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

i'm not trying to bash those with tempered expectations, but i'm not sure people really get how long it can take for giant defensemen to round into form.

look at these numbers:
GP G A Pts
AHL 48 4 9 13 Age: 20
NHL 25 0 1 1 Age: 20-21
AHL 23 2 2 4 Age: 21
NHL 59 2 6 8 Age: 21-22
NHL 65 2 9 11 Age: 22-23
NHL 82 2 7 9 Age: 23-24

That's Zdeno Chara. I wonder what people were saying his great, good, and ugly were back then.

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Teufelsdreck

Don't people remember what Gill was like when he was younger? The underdog Habs repeatedly took advantage of his immobility in the 2002 and 2004 playoffs against the Bruins. He was referred to as a pylon. He didn't distinguish himself as a member of the Leafs either. I was surprised by how solid he was when he played for the Penguins. Gill is smarter than he used to be but certainly not quicker. He has more in his head than what he's able to execute on the ice. At some tipping point athletic ability has to take precedence over smarts. If the Habs don't re-sign him for next season I doubt that any other team would. I think it would be wise to give some of his games to Emelin, who may make more mental mistakes but at least can reach the opposing forwards and, when he does, to inactivate them for more than 2 or 3 seconds.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
I understand, but I think it's the first time the Montreal Canadiens sign a junior player as soon as November and even before the season is finished... Why do this with Tinordi, anything special to interpret???
Louis LeBlanc was signed the summer of 2010 and he only had to be signed by June 1st 2011.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:25 PM
HabsRealist

Wonder how he turns out.. high risk high rewards.

The best case: a Chara
The good case: a Gill
The bad case :a Valabik.

No.

Best case : Gill

Good Case : Alex Henry

Worst Case : Fischer/Bilodeau

HabsRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:33 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRealist View Post
Wonder how he turns out.. high risk high rewards.

The best case: a Chara
The good case: a Gill
The bad case :a Valabik.

No.

Best case : Gill

Good Case : Alex Henry

Worst Case : Fischer/Bilodeau
I love people who don't watch prospects play but make comparisons!

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:59 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Chant View Post
He got KO'ed in a fight and hasn't played since. Concussion?
He wasn't KO'd, he suffered damage to the area around his eye.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Carey Chant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
He wasn't KO'd, he suffered damage to the area around his eye.
In my books, it's a KO when someone gets punched and stays on the ground afterwards ie 10 count in boxing. He wasn't out cold but he did get injured from that fight. He's got good form for a fighter but has to learn not to take punches like that. McGuire can really scrap though.

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:31 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Chara was a 3rd round pick. Tinordi was a 1st.

Not saying he will become any of those listed players but why do you make it sound so outlandish. Seriously you're the pro on prospects and their development these days?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:45 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Chant View Post
In my books, it's a KO when someone gets punched and stays on the ground afterwards ie 10 count in boxing. He wasn't out cold but he did get injured from that fight. He's got good form for a fighter but has to learn not to take punches like that. McGuire can really scrap though.

KO means knockout. Tinnordi wasn't knocked out. He suffered a serious injury to the area surrounding his eye, and that's why Jarred stayed down. Consider it a TKO, but not a KO.

Old
11-03-2011, 06:06 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Chara was a 3rd round pick. Tinordi was a 1st.

Not saying he will become any of those listed players but why do you make it sound so outlandish. Seriously you're the pro on prospects and their development these days?
I don't think any rational person could possibly believe the BEST case with Tinordi is to become Hal Gill, he displays much more complete skill level then Gill did and all he needs at this point is to gain more experience to round out his defensive game. At the very least Tinordi is mobile enough to be effective 5-on-5 and has enough physical dimension to his game to intimidate the majority of the opposing forwards (something Gill can't and will never do).

Chara is hardly a world-class talent, he is well conditioned yes. Chara did not start producing offense at the NHL (or even AHL) level until he was 24-25. While I would definitely agree it's a long-short for Tinordi to become a Chara-caliber two-way defenseman, I would say his "best case" scenerio lies somehere between Chara and Gill. Something like Komisarek during his tenure in Montreal (think pre-Lucic smackdown).

I think he could realisticly top out around a 25-30-pt per year defenseman with a top-guy like PK Subban as his partner. If he was another David Fischer I doubt the Habs would have been so eager to sign him, clearly they are happy with his progression and see him with the team in the not overly distant future.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:41 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I don't think any rational person could possibly believe the BEST case with Tinordi is to become Hal Gill, he displays much more complete skill level then Gill did and all he needs at this point is to gain more experience to round out his defensive game. At the very least Tinordi is mobile enough to be effective 5-on-5 and has enough physical dimension to his game to intimidate the majority of the opposing forwards (something Gill can't and will never do).

Chara is hardly a world-class talent, he is well conditioned yes. Chara did not start producing offense at the NHL (or even AHL) level until he was 24-25. While I would definitely agree it's a long-short for Tinordi to become a Chara-caliber two-way defenseman, I would say his "best case" scenerio lies somehere between Chara and Gill. Something like Komisarek during his tenure in Montreal (think pre-Lucic smackdown).

I think he could realisticly top out around a 25-30-pt per year defenseman with a top-guy like PK Subban as his partner. If he was another David Fischer I doubt the Habs would have been so eager to sign him, clearly they are happy with his progression and see him with the team in the not overly distant future.
While I don't think Tinnordi will be the type to be completely lost in the offensive zone (ala Gill), I highly doubt he ever puts up anything close to 30 points a year. He's going to be a pure heart and soul defensive guy. Best case Tinnordi for me is Gorges if Gorges was 6'7" 240lbs and not afraid to use it. I think we can all appreciate how awesome that would be, and I think that's why management is really high on him...

Also Chara always had big time potential, he just was extremely raw at hockey. he always had a huge cannon that needed some control, something Tinnordi simply doesn't have in his arsenal.

Old
11-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Loosing fights is meh. But there is only one way to get better at scrapping and that is to scrap. The guy Tinordi had the decisive loss against is a more active and experienced fighter. Its not the first time he's fought a tall guy and that's just an adjustment for a guy like him. Tinordi has reach but will get a plan B and C eventually.

Tinordi is a character player and it was a pretty ballsy move. I ll bet his teammates liked the effort. I'm more worried that his injuries will cause him to hesitate in similar situations. Captain material ....

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

lol Tinordi got rocked.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:15 PM
HabsRealist

Wow. Talk about complete lack of understanding.

Yes, all junior D-men with 15 career points will be 30 point guys in the NHL.

You know what, 50 % of all 1st rounders are busts. So far, Tinordi is tracking this way, in the opinion of those who know. I am a Hab fan too, but lets call a spade a spade. Tinordi is not doing well at all, and that is at 3 levels below the NHL as a
19 year old. No blind fan can ignore that simple fact.

HabsRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:22 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:

You know what, 50 % of all 1st rounders are busts. So far, Tinordi is tracking this way, in the opinion of those who know. I am a Hab fan too, but lets call a spade a spade. Tinordi is not doing well at all, and that is at 3 levels below the NHL as a
Tinordi is right where he is supposed to be. He's captaining the London Knights as a 19 year old. And points? He's projected to be a physically imposing defensive defensmen, and he's right on schedule...

Old
11-08-2011, 12:22 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
lol Tinordi got rocked.
So did Mohammed Ali, means ****.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:24 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

It's like people heard Tinordi was struggling at the beginning of his first season with the Knights and are latching onto it for the rest of his career because it reinforces their dislike of the pick. By all accounts he improved in the second half of the year, looked good at the U.S. summer camp, looked good this year before his injury (after being named captain, mind you), and still has a chance to make the U.S. WJC team. It's a year away from his draft year and he's "tracking towards being a bust"? Give me a break.

It's ridiculous how people will bend over backwards to defend and make excuses for some of our prospects (cough Avtsin) but can't wait to drag down others just to be able to say "I told you so".

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
It's like people heard Tinordi was struggling at the beginning of his first season with the Knights and are latching onto it for the rest of his career because it reinforces their dislike of the pick. By all accounts he improved in the second half of the year, looked good at the U.S. summer camp, looked good this year before his injury (after being named captain, mind you), and still has a chance to make the U.S. WJC team. It's a year away from his draft year and he's "tracking towards being a bust"? Give me a break.

It's ridiculous how people will bend over backwards to defend and make excuses for some of our prospects (cough Avtsin) but can't wait to drag down others just to be able to say "I told you so".
And then some of us watched him play in some of those games, and felt like maybe he didn't look like that great a pick. Prospects will be prospects. I personally don't hold out any hope for Avstin, though. I want to tell people I was wrong about Tinordi, and that I was right about Chipchura. I have some hope of the former, precious little of the latter anymore.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
So did Mohammed Ali, means ****.
So did BGL before becoming one of the best heavyweights in the NHL.

You win some, you lose some...

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
And then some of us watched him play in some of those games, and felt like maybe he didn't look like that great a pick. Prospects will be prospects. I personally don't hold out any hope for Avstin, though. I want to tell people I was wrong about Tinordi, and that I was right about Chipchura. I have some hope of the former, precious little of the latter anymore.
I've watched some of his games last year, and this year and I have to say that I am feeling good that he will make the NHL. He won't be a 30pt guy, but can turn into a #3-4 shutdown type of dman. His progression from last year has been amazing. Keep in mind that he had a growth spurt and it takes time to adjust. He will play 2-3 more years in the juniors/minors as he fills in that massive frame but his skating and his increasing willingness to play more of a physical game (like his dad used to) make me think he may move up sooner for a call-up or two.

If he does make the show, it'll be due to the Hunter's turning him into the mean gritty guy they and his father was as players.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:35 PM
HaBs_ReNeGaTe

Send a message via MSN to HaBs_ReNeGaTe
I must be wrong, but doesn't this bring our contracts number to 50, which is the league maximum? That would mean that we cannont sign any other players for the rest of the season...

HaBs_ReNeGaTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:35 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I watch him play in London and I can tell you his skating isn't great his positioning is lacklustre and he is not as menacing as many think. I am hoping we are able to package him off in a deal for something we need.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote