HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Dylan McIlrath (2010, 10th overall, Rangers)

Old
10-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaSteak View Post
You have to remember, going into that draft, Michael Del Zotto was coming off a very encouraging rookie season. He put up almost 40 points as an 18 year old rookie, and really looked confident. If he had been coming off a season similar to last year, the organization may have put more thought into picking Fowler.
This.

MDZ was looking like he could fill a similar role to Fowler, plus he brings more physicality. I'm not saying MDZ is as good as Fowler, because he obviously isn't, but the Rangers as an organization must have felt that he was close enough for them to justify picking McIlrath.

What also needs to be taken into account is that we as fans had to see Lundqvist, our most important player, get run over night in and night out with little retaliation. Last year, Sauer emerged as our crease clearing, nasty, stay at home dman, but noone had a clue when McIlrath was drafted if he was ever going to be able to stay healthy.

I think a realistic upside for McIlrath is Jeff Beukeboom, but maybe a little better fighter and a little more offense. This is what we've been missing in our D corps for a long time now. We have decent shut down and 2-way capability in our D right now, but lack that true intimidation factor that teams like Philly and Nashville have in Pronger and Weber. McIlrath, while obviously less skilled offensively than either of those players, can be similarly terrifying while playing good defensive hockey. Forwards in the WHL, arguably the toughest of the junior leagues, will skate to the other side of the ice completely in an effort to keep as far away from him as possible. If he can bring anything close to that level of intimidation to our NHL squad, the pick will be worth it IMO.

Fowler will become a very good dman, but McIlrath shouldn't be viewed through the same lens. They're completely different players who were drafted for very different reasons by their respective teams. Only time will tell how it works out for each team.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Sojourn you're being to nice, the Gonchar comparison for Fowler is ridiculous the kid reminds me of Scott Nieds or Brian Leetch. I like McIlrath, to be a 2nd pairing D, but for people to sit here and say he can be as valuable as Fowler, to me is just ridiculous and/or pure homerism. Fowler has a chance to win a Norris in his career, that is unlikely for Big Mac, IMO.
To say that at this point in his career Fowler is reminding you of Nieds and Leetch, but we're just ridiculous homers is pretty funny.

But like everyone else here, you have an opinion, your entitled to it, but like the rest of us you don't own a crystal ball.

I really like how Fowler looks right now. I think he can be a very nice player. That said, IF MacIlrath can develop as sound a game as Mike Sauer does now, he's a game changer for the Rangers.

Also, once Del Zotto gets his defensive game screwed on tight (which he's improved hugely) he could be as useful a two way defender as any in the league.

Usually the person accusing others of being a ridiculous homer....is exactly that.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
I have never seen Fowler compared to Gonchar til that post, and when watching him this year, I have to question if you have watched him play, when attacking his defensive ability. To me it sounds like your sticking to pre-draft notions about him his defensive play has been pretty good, in the couple games of his, I watched and never ever thought to myself he looked like Gonchar.
Quote:
Sojourn you're being to nice, the Gonchar comparison for Fowler is ridiculous the kid reminds me of Scott Nieds or Brian Leetch. I like McIlrath, to be a 2nd pairing D, but for people to sit here and say he can be as valuable as Fowler, to me is just ridiculous and/or pure homerism. Fowler has a chance to win a Norris in his career, that is unlikely for Big Mac, IMO.
Sorry, I find it a little difficult to take you seriously when you're calling me a homer, but then turning around and drawing comparisons to Brian Leetch and labeling him as a future Norris candidate. Not to mention you're mixing my words to try and make a point.

I'll agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Fair enough. I can't say that I agree with where you place Fowler's upside, but that might just be a difference of opinion. To be fair, if I were looking just at least season I could understand that projection entirely. Based on what I've seen so far this season, however, I'd say his upside could definitely be a potential #1 defenseman. The improvement he's shown so far this season is rather substantial, particularly in the defensive end. Every player develops at their own rate, but it seems likely that he would continue to improve for some time, and he's already showing some of the high intelligence plays that we both agree help define the true #1's in their own end. As it is, I'd say he's been Anaheim's best, and most consistent overall defenseman. Obviously, he still has work to do before he can be called a true #1, but I do think it's within the realm of possibility for him, without needing too much wishful thinking. Much of this is contingent on whether he can maintain this play over the course of the season, and beyond. Consistency is the real key.

Based on those two projections, I can definitely see an argument for why McIlrath would be the preferred player among most Ranger fans. Based on what I've seen of McIlath, and seeing plenty of room for growth in his game, he's a player I'd very much like to see in Anaheim. If he can hit his potential, he'd be a stabilizing force on the blue line. An anchor. But a mean one. If he can consistently put up decent offensive numbers, that's icing on the cake for him.

I just really can't picture choosing him over Fowler, if given the choice. Give me a pick of one or the other, and Fowler is a no-brainer for me. Some of that is definitely hindsight. Who expected Fowler to jump into the NHL so quickly? Or to be so important to Anaheim in such a short span of time? I know the Rangers already had MDZ, but I'm a big believer in drafting BPA in the 1st round. I've seen cases where drafting based on need can come back and bite you in the ass. Of course, the same can be said for drafting the best player available. I don't think McIlrath will end up being as good as Fowler, or as much an impact player, but maybe he ends up being the right pick for the Rangers.
I'm obviously not a Ducks fan, so by no means am I claiming to have seen enough of him to be an expert, but in the 20 or so games I have seen, I just haven't been impressed with his defensive game. I also think the real issue is that people continue to compare the two players based on what Fowler has done thus far at the NHL level. The problem is that it's a foolish way to do so.

I understand the BPA mentality, but that's assuming that Fowler was indeed the best player available in the eyes of the Rangers. Every year we see people slide up and down the draft board and people coming out of the woodwork claiming team X made a huge mistake passing on them. Rangers fans were livid when we passed on Petrov to take some kid out of Minnesota named Stepan. Same can be said with Kreider over Schroeder in 2009.

It's not about immediate results, and one season cannot serve as your guiding projection for a players development. How many kids stormed into the league only to fizzle out or plateau only a few years later? We cannot truly even begin to compare the two until they're, at the very least, playing against the same level of competition. I can see the value in Fowler, but I just happen to believe that McIlrath has more upside than he's often given credit for.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:55 PM
schmieder44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I was actually the one who made the comment he was referring to, and while I should have qualified it as "most Rangers fans", I still stand by it. I see Fowler's upside as a guy who can be in the 45-55 point range, but who lacks the physicality and elite defensive awareness to be a true #1 d-man. I think his skating will ease the impact of many mistakes he might make, but his ability to read the play as it approaches him is nowhere near as good as his ability to read the play going the other way. Sergei Gonchar comes to mind.

McIlrath has the nasty streak that fans, and more importantly teammates, love to see on the ice. While I'm a major opponent of your prototypical goon, I'm very quickly becoming a vocal advocate for the kid and the development he's shown. He's at that point where his body is only starting to catch up to what his head wants to do, and you see some glimpses of potential there. Realistically, I see him as a potential Brooks Orpik. A guy that keeps it simple, but can amp up the physical game and really change the momentum for his team. If he can polish his offensive game, I think he could hit 35 points a couple times in his career, but I think the folks who hope he can be the next Shea Weber should temper their expectations.

What I think we can appreciate about both prospects is that each is good enough in one area of the game that they will almost certainly be decent NHL blue liners in one way or another.
If always felt like Orpik plus some more edge was a great comparator for McIlrath. Fowler, as Gonchar type is also a good, but not seen nearly enough of him to be sure of that.

schmieder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

In a year or 2 the Rangers will have a bad ass defense.

Staal-Girardi
McI-McD
Sauer-MDZ/Tim Erixon?

Lundqvist

A hole lot of trade bait to notch a high caliber pure goal scorer. So expect that some time soon .

But on topic about Dylan. I thought he played well out there during the pre-season and has a 60% chance of making next years team, but another year after would be more realistic to let him devolope his weaknesses and improve on his strengths.

Last edited by Hanke: 10-27-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:42 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Sorry, I find it a little difficult to take you seriously when you're calling me a homer, but then turning around and drawing comparisons to Brian Leetch and labeling him as a future Norris candidate. Not to mention you're mixing my words to try and make a point.

I'll agree to disagree and leave it at that.
I didn't say he would, or will win a norris or be a candidate, I said he has a chance. His defensive ability has improved immensely since last year, I don't know how you can be so critical of his ability to read plays on defense, he seems to strip guys of the puck alot and as soon as he gains puck possession most of the time he manages to either skate it out of trouble or get the puck moving up ice, much like Scott Nieds used to do

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
I didn't say he would, or will win a norris or be a candidate, I said he has a chance. His defensive ability has improved immensely since last year, I don't know how you can be so critical of his ability to read plays on defense, he seems to strip guys of the puck alot and as soon as he gains puck possession most of the time he manages to either skate it out of trouble or get the puck moving up ice, much like Scott Nieds used to do
There are definite similarities. Fowler is constantly having Niedermayer-esque moments. It's the kind of thing that gets Anaheim fans excited about him, because Scotty was such a huge part of the team's blue line.

I'm just not prepared to call him a future Norris-candidate, or compare him directly to Niedermayer. Not that I'll ever complain if he earns it.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I'm obviously not a Ducks fan, so by no means am I claiming to have seen enough of him to be an expert, but in the 20 or so games I have seen, I just haven't been impressed with his defensive game. I also think the real issue is that people continue to compare the two players based on what Fowler has done thus far at the NHL level. The problem is that it's a foolish way to do so.

I understand the BPA mentality, but that's assuming that Fowler was indeed the best player available in the eyes of the Rangers. Every year we see people slide up and down the draft board and people coming out of the woodwork claiming team X made a huge mistake passing on them. Rangers fans were livid when we passed on Petrov to take some kid out of Minnesota named Stepan. Same can be said with Kreider over Schroeder in 2009.

It's not about immediate results, and one season cannot serve as your guiding projection for a players development. How many kids stormed into the league only to fizzle out or plateau only a few years later? We cannot truly even begin to compare the two until they're, at the very least, playing against the same level of competition. I can see the value in Fowler, but I just happen to believe that McIlrath has more upside than he's often given credit for.
If you get the opportunity, see if you can catch some Anaheim games and focus on his play. He's made big strides defensively. Over the off-season he got stronger, and is more capable of handling play along the boards. On top of that, he's much more assertive defensively. Last season he was a little timid in his own end, as I'm sure you noticed. He can flat out take control of the play at times, and he's constantly getting Anaheim out of trouble. I can see how OccupySheen sees a bit of Niedermayer in him. It's the same thing he used to do. No space, team on its heels, and he just says enough is enough.

You're absolutely right. The Rangers might not have seen Fowler as the best player available. That was an assumption on my part. Looking at the players available when New York picked, it just looked like there were more talented and better players available at that pick. Fowler just being one of them. Of course, it's entirely possible that the scouts projected McIlrath would become the best player available, with some work.

I'm definitely not using one season to judge McIlrath. It's way too soon to judge him. Defensemen usually take longer to develop as it is, and a big physical guy like him can take even longer, because he needs to physically mature to be effective in the NHL. You can't really be surprised that people compare McIlrath to Fowler at this point though. He was considered a bit of a questionable pick, and Fowler came in and was immediately an impact player for his team. Is it unfair to McIlrath? Absolutely. But he'll make it into the NHL, and people will see that he's a good player for the Rangers.

Old
11-08-2011, 01:30 PM
BPD

Can someone close to the area perhaps elucidate what's going on with his injury here? We in Rangerland follow closely, but seem to have lost the track here and are understandably worried.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:46 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmieder44 View Post
If always felt like Orpik plus some more edge was a great comparator for McIlrath. Fowler, as Gonchar type is also a good, but not seen nearly enough of him to be sure of that.
Orpik's an elite skater though.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
Can someone close to the area perhaps elucidate what's going on with his injury here? We in Rangerland follow closely, but seem to have lost the track here and are understandably worried.
No one knows and no one is saying. Alot of MJ fans on different boards have been calling it the "mysterious upper body injury"

Really strange on how silent they are about it

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
No one knows and no one is saying. Alot of MJ fans on different boards have been calling it the "mysterious upper body injury"

Really strange on how silent they are about it
Just praying its not head related...

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:12 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Orpik's an elite skater though.
You think Orpik is an "elite" skater?

McIlrath also got around pretty well in the pre-season considerign all the crap people have been laying on him since he was drafted.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:30 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

McIlrath also got around pretty well in the pre-season considerign all the crap people have been laying on him since he was drafted.
Yes, especially for the type of defenseman he is.

Old
11-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

I don't know if "elite" is the right word, but Orpik is an excellent skater.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I don't know if "elite" is the right word, but Orpik is an excellent skater.
I think "elite" is definitely the wrong word. When I think of an elite skater, I'm thinking of a Fowler or Doughty level skater. A player who has the mobility to do things beyond the norm.

Old
11-08-2011, 08:26 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I think "elite" is definitely the wrong word. When I think of an elite skater, I'm thinking of a Fowler or Doughty level skater. A player who has the mobility to do things beyond the norm.
It's not just the mobility that allows Fowler and Doughty to do things like that though, puck skills are a big part of it. Orpik doesn't rush the push much so we rarely get to see him using his skating like that. Doesn't really matter though, the point is that McIlrath has a way to go to be able to skate like Orpik.

Old
11-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
It's not just the mobility that allows Fowler and Doughty to do things like that though, puck skills are a big part of it. Orpik doesn't rush the push much so we rarely get to see him using his skating like that. Doesn't really matter though, the point is that McIlrath has a way to go to be able to skate like Orpik.
I'm talking more about how you see them skate away from the puck. Skating with the puck is a different animal entirely, obviously. Being a great skater obviously doesn't mean you can skate with the puck, if you don't have the puck skills to go with it.

Old
11-09-2011, 08:00 AM
leoleo3535

Dylan will be back at practice today.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:26 AM
IceManCat
A New Era

Bump:

How has McIlrath's progression been

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Bump:

How has McIlrath's progression been
I'd like to know this as well. I've seen his stats, but stats don't really tell anything considering his style of play...

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Green Blob*

He's been good. He works very closely with Jeff Beakaboom, who is the assist coach in HFD, and Jeff has been reporting he gets better every week. He's been getting big minutes down in HFD and plays a very hard, physical game. Still needs time down there of course, but he is making good strides. Should get a callup next season at some point, probably an NHL regular by the start of the 2015 season.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:31 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
He's been good. He works very closely with Jeff Beakaboom, who is the assist coach in HFD, and Jeff has been reporting he gets better every week. He's been getting big minutes down in HFD and plays a very hard, physical game. Still needs time down there of course, but he is making good strides. Should get a callup next season at some point, probably an NHL regular by the start of the 2015 season.

What do you see his upside being, is he turning into a shut d-man or still learning the defensive end.

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:44 PM
startainfection

remember when they rangers could've drafted fowler or gormley?

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote