HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Filatov recalled/sent down thread (Called Up, Nov 26)

Old
11-08-2011, 12:43 PM
themann

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
MacLean pretty much reinforced what I thought about Filatov. Apprehensive, tentative, scared to screw up. Love how Steve Loyd didn't even get a chance to finish his sentence when asked about giving a spot or earning it, even with openings in the lineup. "He's gotta earn it" McLean cut him off and when on to say that he has not earned it and that is why he needs to go down and come back a player who will be ready to do more.

he's got talent but he skates on eggshells and shoots from just inside the bluline, like WTF?
Lol, i have never heard someone use shooting from just inside the blue line as a chirp. you seemed mystified and personally upset about it haha.

themann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:47 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I talked to a season ticket holder the other day who called Filatov a floater & a younger version of Kovalev (the bad Kovalev) in his last yr here in Ottawa.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:56 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I talked to a season ticket holder the other day who called Filatov a floater & a younger version of Kovalev (the bad Kovalev) in his last yr here in Ottawa.
Now don't get me wrong, I loves the STH's, but that being said, owning seasons tickets unfortunately does not grant a person special hockey knowledge.

Also, it sucks that whoever this is that you talked to seems to have made up his mind about a young kid who really hasn't had much of an opportunity to play NHL hockey this year. Seems like an unfair "Russian = Lazy" stereotype, when we ALL know that only applies to Belorussians.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
and....?

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:02 PM
DG

Quote:
I talked to a different STH who said he reminded him of a younger, more talented and more physical Fedorov. Thought he'd be Ovechkin + Fedorov + Patrick Roy in his prime.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I talked to a different STH who said he reminded him of a younger, more talented and more physical Fedorov. Thought he'd be Ovechkin + Fedorov + Patrick Roy in his prime.
How can you be sure?

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:31 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
Now don't get me wrong, I loves the STH's, but that being said, owning seasons tickets unfortunately does not grant a person special hockey knowledge.

Also, it sucks that whoever this is that you talked to seems to have made up his mind about a young kid who really hasn't had much of an opportunity to play NHL hockey this year. Seems like an unfair "Russian = Lazy" stereotype, when we ALL know that only applies to Belorussians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
and....?
It means nothing, it's just an opinion. Filatov at 21 yrs old has lots of time to prove people wrong or right about him. What will be interesting is how long this management team gives him here in Ottawa but all it will take is for him to start producing in Ottawa consistently to win fans over.

But having said that I would think that if someone dishes out that much money for season tickets they would know something about hockey, afterall, they do watch 41 home games & some pre-season games. When you watch that much hockey you do get an appreciation of players skills & abilities. You may not agree with their opinion but you can't say it's wrong or that they don't know much about hockey, we don't know. In this case this guy played a lot of hockey when he was younger & has watched hockey is entire life.

Old
11-08-2011, 01:49 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
It means nothing, it's just an opinion. Filatov at 21 yrs old has lots of time to prove people wrong or right about him. What will be interesting is how long this management team gives him here in Ottawa but all it will take is for him to start producing in Ottawa consistently to win fans over.

But having said that I would think that if someone dishes out that much money for season tickets they would know something about hockey, afterall, they do watch 41 home games & some pre-season games. When you watch that much hockey you do get an appreciation of players skills & abilities. You may not agree with their opinion but you can't say it's wrong or that they don't know much about hockey, we don't know. In this case this guy played a lot of hockey when he was younger & has watched hockey is entire life.
Well, he's wrong about Filatov. He's not lazy. He's just trying to transition into the NHL game. Nobody that can tear it up in the AHL is lazy.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:57 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
Well, he's wrong about Filatov. He's not lazy. He's just trying to transition into the NHL game. Nobody that can tear it up in the AHL is lazy.
Well in fairness Filatov has only played a few games in the AHL, I guess we will have a much better idea about him at the half way mark of the season. I would also like to hear from the Bingo folks about Filatov & how he is playing down there from game to game.

Old
11-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Euclid
Futbol Fan

Quote:

Don Cherry has watched, played, and coached thousands of games in his lifetime, but would you ask him for an objective view of Russians (and Europeans in general)? Not to hate on Grapes (I'm probably one of the few that still like him) but he is completely blind when it comes to Russian talent.

Just because this guy is a season ticket holder, doesn't necessarily equate to him understanding hockey and giving a fair analysis of Filatov. Personally, I've been pleasantly surprised by Filatov's attitude, I'm just wary of how long it will last if doesn't crack the NHL sooner rather than later.

Euclid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Xspyrit

This thread seems to be particulary bad... I think I'm going to come back to read it entirely, just for laughs.

We should receive message texts or SMS alarms when there is a lol-worthy thread... HF :

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
should have never been called up.

leave him down there till he explodes (offensively).

up and down is not good
Agreed.

- Robin Lehner

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:19 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Kovalev vs. Filatov comparison? That's way off. Filatov has had a great attitude since coming to Ottawa, taking demotions in stride and working very hard on the ice, backchecking and using his body. Its really shocking to see how people can just make blanket statements like that with players from that country even when there's nothing to support their ideas.

BTW, I'm a season ticket holder, so I guess this blurb can be taken as gospel.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:22 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Well in fairness Filatov has only played a few games in the AHL, I guess we will have a much better idea about him at the half way mark of the season. I would also like to hear from the Bingo folks about Filatov & how he is playing down there from game to game.
From Robin Lehner:

Quote:
“He doesn’t belong down there (in the AHL)…he could score a little bit whenever he felt like it. He’s a great player with great skill, can score. Just try to find a groove up here and see what happens. I think he can contribute here.”

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:23 PM
krapsik

http://ht.ly/7n2F8

On whether he felt comfortable playing while he was in Ottawa: "Well, I'm just pretty sure it's like different role, and it's different set of things I have to do, because it's kind of hard to create something when you're playing five minutes per game. I'm not sure it's the thing that the fourth line is really looking for doing with five minutes per game. You know, obviously, it's pretty hard for me, because I'm not used to it. I just was trying to focus more on the defensive. I'm pretty happy with the way it went."

Well said. In my understanding too, 4-s line is for keeping own net clear and give others some time to rest. If i remember right, no goals was scored in Ottawa net when Nikita is on ice. So, i guess - mission accomplished. Creativity is for other lines.

krapsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Filatov has been awesome, and patient. He's putting in a great amount of work right now, and he's shown no signs of being anything negative. I think he's done a great job playing for Ottawa in the roles he has been assigned and I can only hope he continues to do what he's doing.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:29 PM
sens83

vCash: 50
Quote:
To be honest, I love that we have Filatov back in Binghamton. We desperately need to scoring help. However, the guy is way above the AHL level. He made people look silly out there in his first stint down here. Absolute nightmare to play against I imagine. I have no idea why he hasn't been able to showcase the raw talent this kid has in the NHL. He's done it in the AHL for sure.

If we luck out in Binghamton and get "stuck" with Filatov I won't be disappointed kid is going to be good if he sticks with it.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:38 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
To be honest, I love that we have Filatov back in Binghamton. We need to scoring help. However, the guy is way above the AHL level. He made people look silly out there in his first stint down here. Absolute nightmare to play against I imagine. I have no idea why he hasn't been able to showcase the raw talent this kid has in the NHL. He's done it in the AHL for sure.

If we luck out in Binghamton and get "stuck" with Filatov I won't be disappointed kid is going to be good if he sticks with it.
Maybe that is what he needs to tear it up down there & show Ottawa management that he is too good for the AHL & give him more time in the NHL. I imagine that he will eventually get more callups but as we all know this is a results oriented business & he will have to produce in Ottawa to stay in Ottawa. So far, that hasn't happened but at his age there is still lots of time for him to come around & produce & Ottawa is in a position they can wait a little longer. Maclean has stated that he hasn't earned the ice time yet, it will be interesting to watch how this plays out.

Old
11-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
To be honest, I love that we have Filatov back in Binghamton. We desperately need to scoring help. However, the guy is way above the AHL level. He made people look silly out there in his first stint down here. Absolute nightmare to play against I imagine. I have no idea why he hasn't been able to showcase the raw talent this kid has in the NHL. He's done it in the AHL for sure.

That's great to hear.

I think this backs up what Maclean/Murray have been saying the past couple of days - that they believe in him but he's playing "tight and tentative" in the NHL. If he keeps fighting through it good things will come.

All the criticism is constructive - its not like they are saying he's a defensive liability or selfish or immature or anything like that. Hopefully he gets on a hot streak down there and then comes up flying.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:43 PM
playasRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Other than the fact that they are both Russian, I don't see any similarities between Kovalev and Filatov. Am I missing something?
Also, I'd have to say Kovy probably has one of the thickest skins around. He got booed a lot throughout the end of his career in Ottawa and Mtl. Took it like a champ. Always had a sense of humour.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:20 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
How can you be sure?
Good point. STH's probably have a way of reconcile that paradox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Kovalev vs. Filatov comparison? That's way off. Filatov has had a great attitude since coming to Ottawa, taking demotions in stride and working very hard on the ice, backchecking and using his body. Its really shocking to see how people can just make blanket statements like that with players from that country even when there's nothing to support their ideas.

BTW, I'm a season ticket holder, so I guess this blurb can be taken as gospel.

But I do seriously agree with this post.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:42 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Murray talks about Filatov at about 10:40 in this interview.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150938501925585

Funny that they get emails from fans.

Also, quotes from KK and Filatov
http://ht.ly/7n2F8

Quote:
"I think for sure (it's good for him to be back)," Kleinendorst said. "He wouldn't be here (if it wasn't). It's all of us working together. That's the one thing Paul has been real good about. When the guys get sent down, there's dialogue, there's a conversation just so we're all on the same page. I think that Nikita knows that we're all behind him, we're all pulling for him, and this is all for his development. This is not punishment. This is for us as an organization to try to create something that we know is there. With Filly, it's nothing more than he has to be competitive every night and he's got to be good without the puck. Once he gets those two things, we know what his skill set is."

Last edited by N Bahn Ahden: 11-08-2011 at 07:48 PM.
N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
I am a STH and watching Filatov he is anything but a floater or lazy.

He is definitely tenative, afraid to make a mistake with the puck it seems, but Murray and MacLean are handling him right IMO. They want him to use his skill offensively, hopefully he will on the next call up. Lehner was right, he really has too much skill for the AHL, he just needs to relax and let his skill take over.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 11-08-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 08:32 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by themann View Post
Lol, i have never heard someone use shooting from just inside the blue line as a chirp. you seemed mystified and personally upset about it haha.
It just means he is not willing to try, or to do anything with the puck, he lobs it in there with a knuckleball to the goalie. No drive. No heart.

No NHL.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 08:36 PM
True Story

Last edited by True Story: 05-04-2012 at 02:18 PM.
True Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 08:41 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
I am a STH and watching Filatov he is anything but a floater or lazy.

He is definitely tenative, afraid to make a mistake with the puck it seems, but Murray and MacLean are handling him right IMO. They want him to use his skill offensively, hopefully he will on the next call up. Lehner was right, he really has too much skill for the AHL, he just needs to relax and let his skill take over.
His tentativeness on the ice really makes him look bad. Do I think he wants to succeed and be a full time NHLer? Absolutely. He is clearly struggling mentally which is making him look uninterested on the ice...which is bad for another STH like myself to see that. He complains about what he can do in 5 mins? Daugavins showed plenty, he made the most of his opportunity because, mentally, he is in a more positive state of mind and willing to just play. Just play.

Unless Nik can go and "just play", stop overthinking he will be doomed.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote