HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN: Fraser: Sorting out the 5-3 vs. the Rangers

Old
11-08-2011, 08:56 AM
lamp9post

vCash: 500
TSN: Fraser: Sorting out the 5-3 vs. the Rangers

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=379919

Thought you guys might be interested.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:17 AM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 1035
Just read that myself. It just reenforces our feeling that the Habs got screwed in the first period of that game. Oh well, crap happens and you move on. Sucks, but you can't do anything about it.

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:24 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

The ref blew it.

No way should the Habs be down two men from that. Even one man is debatable considering Callahan went out of his way to start a fight.

Completely turned the game around in a bad way.

I am happy with how the team responded and came one goal away from tying it. 3 more games vs the Rangers...revenge will be sweet.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

That screw up changed everything to that game. Habs had a good start considering it was a back-to-back away game. Rangers were not that hot out of the gates. That undeserved 5-on-3 changed the momentum. Habs were then on their heels and rattled. Rangers took a 3-goals lead and never looked back.

But for some reason, some people believe it's not the ref's fault. But rather something like Habs lackluster faceoffs that was at fault.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:31 PM
neofury*

I don't even mind that they cost us the game but their poor officiating ruined the game from a spectating standpoint. I wanted to watch hockey not the refs jerking each other off for 45 minutes.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:42 PM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Let me put it this way...

I really think the refs really didn't want us to win that game vs the rangers...they gave us penalties for the smallest stupidest things...

It was the most frustrating game to watch this season so far

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMMuT View Post
Let me put it this way...

I really think the refs really didn't want us to win that game vs the rangers...they gave us penalties for the smallest stupidest things...

It was the most frustrating game to watch this season so far
The least they can do is warn us in advance that they are going to dictate the game. I'll spend my time doing something that won't anger me instead and wait for the next game.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:55 PM
habsjunkie2*

There was never really any debate. He described it exactly as most of us seen it, how the ref could be that blatantly wrong is pretty hard to imagine. You can't penalize one player twice for the same infraction, a non hockey fan could of got this right.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
There was never really any debate. He described it exactly as most of us seen it, how the ref could be that blatantly wrong is pretty hard to imagine. You can't penalize one player twice for the same infraction, a non hockey fan could of got this right.
That and the fact that it was almost impossible NOT to call an infraction on Callahan on the play. It was an easy call to make.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:01 PM
habitue*

Possibly two precious points lost here...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:02 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
That and the fact that it was almost impossible NOT to call an infraction on Callahan on the play. It was an easy call to make.
Yeah Gabe, I can even understand if they call an interference call on Blunden based on the fact that he was not supposed to be on the ice at that point in time. Or they missed the call...but by the rules which adhere to everytime, Callahan should have gotten a supplemental penalty! There's no way that you could say outside of fights the Rangers didn't have a single infraftion.

Absurd.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
I may be the only one that feels this way, but I don't think that specific call ruined any chance the Habs had. The 5-on-3 was given at the top half of the first period. The Habs still had over 50 minutes of hockey to play.

You can argue that the minors handed out afterwards, lop-sided as they were, played a bigger part in taking away any chance the Habs had and I somewhat agree. At the same time, the Habs also had their 5-on-3 chance as well as a few minors to work with as well.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

And then, in some games, these monkeys take a night off by not making calls (or missing calls) and the excuse is that they "want to let the players play".

What a league...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I may be the only one that feels this way, but I don't think that specific call ruined any chance the Habs had. The 5-on-3 was given at the top half of the first period. The Habs still had over 50 minutes of hockey to play.

You can argue that the minors handed out afterwards, lop-sided as they were, played a bigger part in taking away any chance the Habs had and I somewhat agree. At the same time, the Habs also had their 5-on-3 chance as well as a few minors to work with as well.
5-on-3 early on the game providing a lead is always better than a 5-on-3 later in the game while already trailing by multiple goals. Playing the remaining 50 minutes tied is not the same as playing the remaining 50 minutes trailing by 3 goals. Context is everything. Props to the Habs for being tenacious but they shouldn't have to fight an uphill battle due to poor reffing.

Last edited by Poulet Kostopoulos: 11-08-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Andy

I don't care that we received penalties, what I care about is the fact the refs were strict with only one team that night.

If you are going to give a short leash, do so with both teams. Habs penalties were deserved, but the rangers committed several infractions that went uncalled.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:24 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 284
i was watching the sens game and was like

yes the refs look to be on our side tonight

flash forward to the rangers Game oh my

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:24 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

I don't like blaming losses on the refs but sometimes it is just unavoidable. Some of the atrocious reffing since the end of the lockout is just maddening, to the point it ruins the experience of watching the games for me. I just want consistency and never get it. What is a penalty one night is different from the next, and different from team to team.

This game was a prime example of refs not managing a game properly. I really hope it is just incompetence and not a bias with the officials who always seem to give Montreal the short end of the stick. I will be the first one to say "the refs gifted us that one" or "that was a terrible call they made against the other team" but I rarely ever find myself doing this. Games get so frustrating sometimes because it ain't about what the ref calls on my guys, it's what they don't call against the other guys for doing the same thing. I know this sounds like Habfans whining again about the refs but really, how does such a pacifist, speedy team take so many penalties while big rough and tough goon squads get away with murder?

For once I would like JM, or PG to stand up and say something, it works for other teams, why not for Montreal?

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:34 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
I don't like blaming losses on the refs but sometimes it is just unavoidable. Some of the atrocious reffing since the end of the lockout is just maddening, to the point it ruins the experience of watching the games for me. I just want consistency and never get it. What is a penalty one night is different from the next, and different from team to team.

This game was a prime example of refs not managing a game properly. I really hope it is just incompetence and not a bias with the officials who always seem to give Montreal the short end of the stick. I will be the first one to say "the refs gifted us that one" or "that was a terrible call they made against the other team" but I rarely ever find myself doing this. Games get so frustrating sometimes because it ain't about what the ref calls on my guys, it's what they don't call against the other guys for doing the same thing. I know this sounds like Habfans whining again about the refs but really, how does such a pacifist, speedy team take so many penalties while big rough and tough goon squads get away with murder?

For once I would like JM, or PG to stand up and say something, it works for other teams, why not for Montreal?
paul maclean did it in the OTt game

that is the one thing that bugs me about JM and PG they do nothing
JM would just stand there

carbo at least showed somthing behind the bench and he would go on some rants

even Patrice Brisebois showed somthing

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:35 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I don't even mind that they cost us the game but their poor officiating ruined the game from a spectating standpoint. I wanted to watch hockey not the refs jerking each other off for 45 minutes.
This.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:02 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
i was watching the sens game and was like

yes the refs look to be on our side tonight

flash forward to the rangers Game oh my
In the two boston games, the first one was easily in their favor, and the 2nd was in ours. We still won both, but for once I'd like to see some impartial officiating. It really does take away from the spectacle when refs make themselves look like imbeciles.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:20 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

What bugged me is the 5 on 3 was uncalled for. Like don't you know the freaking rules of your own game?

Should have been 4 on 4 and if you stretch it a bit maybe a 5 on 4 for the Rangers but a 5 on 3...why on earth???

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:29 PM
One Trick Pony

All this made us forget that we took yet again another too much man penalty

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
5-on-3 early on the game providing a lead is always better than a 5-on-3 later in the game while already trailing by multiple goals. Playing the remaining 50 minutes tied is not the same as playing the remaining 50 minutes trailing by 3 goals. Context is everything. Props to the Habs for being tenacious but they shouldn't have to fight an uphill battle due to poor reffing.
Well of course the first is better than the second but what is better between a 5-on-3 in the opening 10 mnitues of the game and one in the last 10 minutes of the game? That's a more fair example.

The point is they were down 1-0. They killed off one of the penalties and they only had a goal to battle back from. That 5-on-3 did it's damage, yes but it was not even close to being the final nail in the coffin.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:56 PM
la25ecoupe

Did JM even complained? Or he stayed silent and calm?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Did JM even complained? Or he stayed silent and calm?
He was clearly pissed off in the game and he was discrete about it in the press conference after the game.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote