HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kuhnhackl banned 20 games

Old
11-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Sideline

vCash: 500
20 games is insane. Murphy lunged for the puck at the last second changing the position of his head. Kuhnhackl's elbow is tucked and his skates are on the ice when he makes contact.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:53 PM
SidGenoMario

Holy ****.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:56 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

20 games is insane. As someone said back in the day that was a legal hit. I imagine it had something to do with it being Ryan Murphy as well.

There will always be risk if it's a contact sport. They need to stop trying to take big hits out of the game for something they will never completely get rid of. That means the OHL, NHL, or any other league.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Has there been any explanation by the OHL yet?

Looks to me Kuhnhackl never sticks out his elbow nor leaves his feet before contact was made. I'd say it was a bit wreck-less of a play on Kuhnhackl's end but I don't think he did anything overly wrong except the primary point of contact being Murphy's head. But that's what happens when a player hunches over like that at the last second. A 20 game suspension is complete overkill.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:12 PM
SkullSplitter

Typical soft euro

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:20 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
20 games is insane. As someone said back in the day that was a legal hit. I imagine it had something to do with it being Ryan Murphy as well.

There will always be risk if it's a contact sport. They need to stop trying to take big hits out of the game for something they will never completely get rid of. That means the OHL, NHL, or any other league.
Back in the day goalies didn't wear masks and Mike Milbury only got 8 games for racing into the stands and beating a fan with his own shoe.

As I said in the prospect thread, this is a notoriously dangerous hit. It should be removed from the game as much as possible and the way you do that is to make an example of a few people. So yeah, 20 games is a lot and that's why they gave it to him. They want to set the bar now that these slingshot hits to the head as a players is coming from behind his own net aren't "big hits".

At one time hitting from behind was just called boarding and kneeing was just called tripping. Changes like this are necessary to ensure the safety of the players and these current hits (like Kuhnhackl and Downie and Kunitz) is what happens when big, strong players can move around fast. Again, I'm just repeating myself but coming from around your own net is one of the most defenseless places on the ice because you don't have a second option in terms of where you're going. Once you start...you're going around. So players can anticipate where the defender will be and it gives them more time to react to hit them.

Think of it this way, do you ever see players get trucked like that in open ice? Hardly ever...it's way too hard to time it out and read where the opposing player will be once you've stopped accelerating. That's what the net effectively does to defenders...it removes areas that a player can evade to and also creates a blindspot for opposing players to come from unnoticed. It's dangerous but most people just see it as a "big hit".

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:26 PM
vecens24

Yeah I mean 20 games is overkill, but Kuhnhackl deserves some blame for stupidity there.

I like the physicality he's showing though haha.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
That rest of the regular season was exactly 20 games. Cormier then also missed 5 playoff games and then he was out of junior hockey based on age anyway.

So you tell me that Kühnhackl's hit is anywhere NEAR the same level as this:

or even this (Kassian got 20 games):

I think the similarities between Cormier's season-ending suspension and Kuhnhackl's 20 games are more a product of a calendar than the severity of incidents.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:46 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Yeah I mean 20 games is overkill, but Kuhnhackl deserves some blame for stupidity there.

I like the physicality he's showing though haha.
Me too. I mean 20 games is going to spoil a little developmental time, but I for one had a grin on my face when I saw it.

A sniper who also plays angry? Yup, he's a ****ing Penguin alright.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:04 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Back in the day goalies didn't wear masks and Mike Milbury only got 8 games for racing into the stands and beating a fan with his own shoe.

As I said in the prospect thread, this is a notoriously dangerous hit. It should be removed from the game as much as possible and the way you do that is to make an example of a few people. So yeah, 20 games is a lot and that's why they gave it to him. They want to set the bar now that these slingshot hits to the head as a players is coming from behind his own net aren't "big hits".

At one time hitting from behind was just called boarding and kneeing was just called tripping. Changes like this are necessary to ensure the safety of the players and these current hits (like Kuhnhackl and Downie and Kunitz) is what happens when big, strong players can move around fast. Again, I'm just repeating myself but coming from around your own net is one of the most defenseless places on the ice because you don't have a second option in terms of where you're going. Once you start...you're going around. So players can anticipate where the defender will be and it gives them more time to react to hit them.

Think of it this way, do you ever see players get trucked like that in open ice? Hardly ever...it's way too hard to time it out and read where the opposing player will be once you've stopped accelerating. That's what the net effectively does to defenders...it removes areas that a player can evade to and also creates a blindspot for opposing players to come from unnoticed. It's dangerous but most people just see it as a "big hit".
By making these over the top rules we exonerating the defending player from any responsibility. Players who can't play with their heads up should take the blame. I don't want hockey where every player can just float around with their heads down and turn it into some all-star game.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
Anyone who knows anything about David Branch's history should have expected something like this, especially when it results in an injury.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Looks like we've found a replacement for Cooke in a few years

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:27 PM
wej20

Video explaining Kuhnhackl's suspension

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:36 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
By making these over the top rules we exonerating the defending player from any responsibility. Players who can't play with their heads up should take the blame. I don't want hockey where every player can just float around with their heads down and turn it into some all-star game.
That's insane and not even close to what I'm suggesting.

The NFL moved the goal posts back 10 yards because it was an obvious obstruction slapped right into a busy part of the field. Obviously I'm not recommending the league move the net or anything but it's not ridiculous for changes to be made if an area on the ice proves to be dangerous. Look at the stanchions last year or the seamless glass.

It's like people get all pissy if they can't have their dangerous hits. Go back and look at the examples of similar hits...all those players got injured and missed time. Is that what you want to stay in the game?

****...the league has already painted lines behind the net...how hard is it to say that charging penalties that occur in this area are major penalties and if there's contact to the head it's a game misconduct that will be reviewed by the league. I think once it's established that these hits are against the rules you'll see them disappear or at least decrease.

I'm not saying give players a pass if their heads are down, but at least identify that there is a spot on the ice that has a blindspot and can be dangerous. If a guy has his head down anywhere else feel free to run him over.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Jacob

He should go to the AHL.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

Branch doesn't dick around. I support the decision.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:12 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
He should go to the AHL.
Wouldn't they respect the suspension?

JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Dan Barr

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
****...the league has already painted lines behind the net...how hard is it to say that charging penalties that occur in this area are major penalties and if there's contact to the head it's a game misconduct that will be reviewed by the league. I think once it's established that these hits are against the rules you'll see them disappear or at least decrease..
That's a pretty good idea...

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:14 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR View Post
I imagine they would.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR View Post
They more than likely would. I believe they've done so in the past.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Aquatic n Flightless

He "sprung" himself upward into the head area. Right call on the 20 games.

Aquatic n Flightless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:58 PM
noway

Neither the owners nor the players want to sacrifice the necessary $$$ to enlarge the ice surface to compensate for bigger, faster players wearing more equipment. They would rather ruin the game year by year. The players' brains/reflexes aren't keeping up with the speed of the game.

noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Jacob

It's hard to hit a guy that's about 5'9" and hunched over and not get him in the head.

But yeah, Kuhn wasn't just "playing the body," he was looking to destroy someone. He did so in a fashion that, 5 years ago, would have been celebrated. But not these days, for better or worse.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Jahodac

20 games is a lot but he deserved it. I am not sure how anyone can defend that hit. Hopefully this sends him a message.

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:25 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

I don't think those hits are necessary. 20 games isn't either though.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote