HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niskanen - if offered a lower first, or middling to higher second at trade deadline

View Poll Results: What would it take?
I would trade him for even less 6 6.74%
Only if the first 22 24.72%
I would take a first or second for him 25 28.09%
No, I want to see how he developes 36 40.45%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Niskanen - if offered a lower first, or middling to higher second at trade deadline

If he continues to develope as he has been, would you take it?

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:11 PM
wej20

If it's a 1st then definitely provided we can bring in a vet #5.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Shady Machine

Not unless we are getting a better number 5 dman in a separate trade. At this point it seems unlikely we will resign him so I'd love to get a first or 2nd for a guy we likely wouldn't retain, but we are trying to win the Cup so we shouldn't be trading roster players unless we are getting something better in return.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

No. I don't see why we'd trade him if he's playing that well. I'd move his RFA rights in the off season if he's asking for too much money though.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Kruncher11
a whole lotta grease

I would take a 1st for Nisk.

Kruncher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:15 PM
SidTheKid87

I have a feeling we'll be looking to acquire another d-man at the deadline, not trade one. Even if it's for a higher pick. Nisky could come in very handy during an exteneded playoff run. Plus, who knows. Maybe Shero moves another d-man in the offseason and signs him.

SidTheKid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Why trade him if he's exactly what we would need at the deadline?

During both of the cup runs, the puck moving dmen were a big part of our success. Gonchar, Letang, Whitney, and Gogo were all vital to the transition game, PP, and even goal scoring. Neither Letang nore Niskanen can make up for Gonchar's loss in the offensive zone, but combined they can come close.

I say keep Niskanen and trade for a defensive Dman to be a #6 for the playoffs. Perhaps even re-sign Niskanen until Morrow and Despres can take over.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Jaded-Fan

The poll results so far are split pretty evenly between only a first or not at all. It illustrates and quantifies how far he has come since acquired. And really makes moves the trade into the win column for us. Neal for Gogo straight up was a win for both sides in my book. Dallas basically adding what seems like at least a first to the deal moves it from win win to a pretty clear win.

Old
11-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Woodrow
I hate yo-yo's

If he is playing good enough to command a first in a trade there is no way we are going to trade him.

Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

I'd rather have a bottom pair that I'm comfortable with. Niskanen and Engelland have been the surprises of the season so far, I wouldn't trade either of them away for anything less than another d-man of their caliber and quite frankly, we're not going to find any as cheap as they are right now.

Last edited by Cardboard Orpik: 11-08-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Cardboard Orpik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
The poll results so far are split pretty evenly between only a first or not at all. It illustrates and quantifies how far he has come since acquired. And really makes moves the trade into the win column for us. Neal for Gogo straight up was a win for both sides in my book. Dallas basically adding what seems like at least a first to the deal moves it from win win to a pretty clear win.
I don't think it's that simple (even though I agree we benefited from adding Niskanen to the trade). The timing is the biggest issue here. Why would we trade a roster defenseman at the deadline for a pick when we need a roster dman for the playoffs?

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:10 PM
LawnyIris

As good as Engel and Nisky have been playing so far this season, I don't think D is our issue right now. Lovejoy is a capable number seven D-Man.

I can't see a scenario where we would trade him at the deadline. I f we trade him, I think it more likely be us trading his rights after the season ends if he wants big bucks.

LawnyIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Jaded-Fan

We potentially could get more for him at the deadline thatn this offseason. If a first I would strongly consider it, given how much depth we have at all levels on the system on defense. Yes, he makes us stronger for the playoffs, but we have options that are not a huge step down, much like why we traded Gogo. That extra first would be nice to pocket, given it would be culled from an area of great strength, and was basically a gift from Dallas. What we lose is the chance that he might sign for the cheap in the offseason if he really loved it here. Which is a real possibility.

Old
11-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
We potentially could get more for him at the deadline thatn this offseason. If a first I would strongly consider it, given how much depth we have at all levels on the system on defense. Yes, he makes us stronger for the playoffs, but we have options that are not a huge step down, much like why we traded Gogo. That extra first would be nice to pocket, given it would be culled from an area of great strength, and was basically a gift from Dallas. What we lose is the chance that he might sign for the cheap in the offseason if he really loved it here. Which is a real possibility.
what is his qualifying offer?

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Have you seen this team play? It's definitely a win-now team, not a win-later team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnyIris View Post
As good as Engel and Nisky have been playing so far this season, I don't think D is our issue right now. Lovejoy is a capable number seven D-Man.

I can't see a scenario where we would trade him at the deadline. If we trade him, I think it more likely be us trading his rights after the season ends if he wants big bucks.
As long as all the #7 ever does is sit in the press box, he's fine.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
My answer isn't really covered in the poll options. I'd only consider trading him for a late 1st/early 2nd if we had a better option to replace him with. Ben Lovejoy doesn't count.

I think Niskanen has played well enough this season that I'd be tempted to let him run with it the rest of the season. He and Engelland have improved to the point I'm comfortable with them being the bottom pairing on this club.

So the only way I'd be okay with him being dealt for a draft pick is if there's someone to take his place as a regular on the bottom pairing, at the same or better level than him.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Have you seen this team play? It's definitely a win-now team, not a win-later team.

Of course. That said we are stacked defensively and could perhaps have one step up by that time to take his place. No, not as good, just like we never really replaced Gogo, but not much of a dropoff either. Shero is a GM who builds to win now, and in every coming year. You can at times do both.

Old
11-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Of course. That said we are stacked defensively and could perhaps have one step up by that time to take his place. No, not as good, just like we never really replaced Gogo, but not much of a dropoff either. Shero is a GM who builds to win now, and in every coming year. You can at times do both.
Gogo's already been replaced by players who are better in their own end. There's nobody in the system who can come in and be more responsible than Niskanen.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Gogo's already been replaced by players who are better in their own end. There's nobody in the system who can come in and be more responsible than Niskanen.
That was not especially hard to do. It was not for his defensive play that Gogo was so valuable or wanted by Dallas. And we never quite replaced what he could and can do, but we could afford to let him go and could not afford to keep him next year given how much we already pay on defense.

And no doubt, Niskanen is looking amazing out there, approaching a level better than the third pairing he will be stuck on, much like Staal is on this team. I never said we had as good to step in, just perhaps by the trade deadline we could have one step up and be a good third pairing guy who is not a huge step down from Niskanen. Similar to Gogo, would love to have him, may not be able to afford him next year if he keeps it up, especially on the third pairing, and have quality that may be ready to step up more cheaply next year. If we had someone not a huge drop off for the third pairing and could get a first, why not?

Old
11-08-2011, 05:49 PM
JTG

If it were a 1st I'd definitely do it, and then go and trade a later round pick for a veteran #5.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:02 PM
mpp9

Who are decent #5 options with expiring contracts this year?

Beauchemin is a long shot but would be money.

Gleason/Allen from Carolina assuming they haven't made all their moves before the deadline.

Dont know enough about him, but Martinek from CBJ?

Zanon/Eaton seem to be the best options imo.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:11 PM
LawnyIris

Quote:
Agree. Pretty much going with the "devil you know" theory here. Lovejoy has looked horrid this year, but when he gets back to form I think he is an ok seven. (although he's a non issue for the next 4-6 weeks)

Last edited by LawnyIris: 11-08-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: missing last sentence
LawnyIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

I would trade him for 1st rounder. We can get someone like Zanon for lower pick and 2 first round picks in our home town draft would be awesome, or we could include in trade that other one to get top-6 RW. Niskanen will get a raise, so better trade him if we can get someone to replace him.

Muscles4Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:56 PM
JWells16

I'd take a first in a heartbeat.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Pancakes

There is not a chance in hell anyone will give up a first for Niskanen.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote