HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Enough of Boyle Getting 3rd Line Minutes Already...

Old
11-07-2011, 06:34 PM
ncmike

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
Well 4th line players are certainly a dime a dozen, but there are not many 4th line players that are

A) 6 foot 7 inches tall and Boyle's weight, while still being even remotely mobile

and

B) Only one season removed from a 22 goal campaign

we can't dismiss last season as a fluke 13 games in. There are plenty of unskilled players capable of potting 20, and if Boyle turns out to be a 10 goal guy, he is worth keeping.
he plays small for a guy whose 6'7"

ncmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:59 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmike View Post
No he doesn't. He used to. Now, not so much. The guy hits all the time and is always involved in scrums after the whistle. How is that playing small?

On top of all of that, the Rangers call on him and his line to shut down the other teams best lines. Any offense they can generate is gravy if they can keep the other teams best players off the board (which looking at the Rangers goals against has been a success).

The guy is off to slow start offensively and everyone is down on him. When he scores 3 goals in 4 games everyone will call him the Rangers next great power forward and that he makes Dubinsky expendable.....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
No he doesn't. He used to. Now, not so much. The guy hits all the time and is always involved in scrums after the whistle. How is that playing small?

On top of all of that, the Rangers call on him and his line to shut down the other teams best lines. Any offense they can generate is gravy if they can keep the other teams best players off the board (which looking at the Rangers goals against has been a success).

The guy is off to slow start offensively and everyone is down on him. When he scores 3 goals in 4 games everyone will call him the Rangers next great power forward and that he makes Dubinsky expendable.....
I disagree.

He doesn't use his size very well. He is not good enough with the puck to be able use his body to shield players. He doesn't crush players by any means and is usually the one knocked to the ice. Sure he is involved with post scrums but so is 5'10 Prust.

Goals or not goals, he also completely lacks any hockey sense like my original post said. That's not something he is going to learn at 27 if he hasn't already.

I definitely would not call him a shut down center as well.

I've never been so high on Boyle, so it's not like all of a sudden im deciding to pick on him. I just think this year he's really been pretty lackluster in all departments, not just scoring.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:25 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1983 View Post
I disagree.

He doesn't use his size very well. He is not good enough with the puck to be able use his body to shield players. He doesn't crush players by any means and is usually the one knocked to the ice. Sure he is involved with post scrums but so is 5'10 Prust.

Goals or not goals, he also completely lacks any hockey sense like my original post said. That's not something he is going to learn at 27 if he hasn't already.

I definitely would not call him a shut down center as well.

I've never been so high on Boyle, so it's not like all of a sudden im deciding to pick on him. I just think this year he's really been pretty lackluster in all departments, not just scoring.
He routinely uses his size down low to not only protect the puck, but also create picks for his wingers.

If you really think he doesn't utilize his size in the offensive zone I don't know what else to say....

You wouldn't call Brian Boyle a shut-down center? The same guy who was matched against the likes of Joe Thornton and Ryan Getzlaf for both games at MSG and who was matched up against Ovechkin last year in the playoffs?

Old
11-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
He routinely uses his size down low to not only protect the puck, but also create picks for his wingers.

If you really think he doesn't utilize his size in the offensive zone I don't know what else to say....

You wouldn't call Brian Boyle a shut-down center? The same guy who was matched against the likes of Joe Thornton and Ryan Getzlaf for both games at MSG and who was matched up against Ovechkin last year in the playoffs?
Richards was the center matched up vs Thornton and Getzlaf, not Boyle.

Boyle was not matched up vs Ovechkin last season as well.

Maybe a few shifts but that was not the set matchup.

Old
11-07-2011, 07:45 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Richards was the center matched up vs Thornton and Getzlaf, not Boyle.

Boyle was not matched up vs Ovechkin last season as well.

Maybe a few shifts but that was not the set matchup.
Every shift the Rangers had in the defensive end, Boyle was out there against those two.

There are few defensive centers in the league who can match up against Getzlaf and Thornton due to their size and strength. Boyle is one of them.

Old
11-07-2011, 08:25 PM
ThirdEye

I don't care if he's being matched up against top forwards... you need to produce and he isn't doing that. And plus, it's not like he's going to challenge for the Selke this season. He's alright defensively, but it's nothing to write home about. Blair Betts was probably a better defensive forward and he didn't get 15 minutes of ice time

Bring his ice time down to 10 minutes where it should be. If he gets hot as some point then increase it again. But right now he doesn't deserve it

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:36 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I don't care if he's being matched up against top forwards... you need to produce and he isn't doing that. And plus, it's not like he's going to challenge for the Selke this season. He's alright defensively, but it's nothing to write home about. Blair Betts was probably a better defensive forward and he didn't get 15 minutes of ice time

Bring his ice time down to 10 minutes where it should be. If he gets hot as some point then increase it again. But right now he doesn't deserve it
So you want the Avery-Christensen-Deveaux line to get more time?

Old
11-07-2011, 09:09 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmike View Post
Must be from all the figureskating he does.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Jumbo*

Again guys, I had no idea this would turn into such a big debate, I was merely just voicing my opinion on his ice time, i respect anyones opinion that differs from mine as long as they give reasons like many of you have. Nobody's opinions means more then someone else, including mine

Old
11-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

I think he should be on the 4th line, but we have not been able to put together a solid 3rd line yet. We need 1 more person on offense to fill a 3rd line spot, so we can have feds-boyle-prust be our 4th line. This would be a very good 4th line too, but they are not a 3rd line.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:23 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
I want Tortorella to bump up Anisimov's ice time by 2-3 minutes a game and give the rest to Christensen. I'm not a fan of Christensen at all, but he's deserved it lately more than Boyle (he has 4 points in his last 4 games despite playing 8-9 minutes in each one)

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
i dont think hes being played at this point for his ability to score goals. hes a defensive minded player and he plays hard every shift.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:38 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post

The bolded is the problem then. At less than 2 mil the job and the production for a defensive minded PK 4th liner is not about box score. Your expectation is wrong not Boyle's production. He's not producing points early in this season so what it's early in the season you are jumping teh gun. All that can be fairly said is that he cant go through a whole season of this offensively. Defensively and PK wise he's been what we paid for. You dont pay 20 goal defensive guys a paltry 1.5 mil (or 1.75 whatever it was). We didnt pay him to score 20 goals though that mich is obvious.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:
im not sure ive liked avery so far. i know 2 games in but hes kinda invisible. in every facet.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou View Post
im not sure ive liked avery so far. i know 2 games in but hes kinda invisible. in every facet.
hes played what, like 8 mins combined in 2 games? something like that?

hes thrown the body around, and tried to make plays when he could. no ice time=tough to play.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:53 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Every shift the Rangers had in the defensive end, Boyle was out there against those two.

There are few defensive centers in the league who can match up against Getzlaf and Thornton due to their size and strength. Boyle is one of them.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
The bolded is the problem then. At less than 2 mil the job and the production for a defensive minded PK 4th liner is not about box score. Your expectation is wrong not Boyle's production. He's not producing points early in this season so what it's early in the season you are jumping teh gun. All that can be fairly said is that he cant go through a whole season of this offensively. Defensively and PK wise he's been what we paid for. You dont pay 20 goal defensive guys a paltry 1.5 mil (or 1.75 whatever it was). We didnt pay him to score 20 goals though that mich is obvious.
Every one of these posts are exactly why this thread is ridiculous and completely unwarranted. I'd post a much more detailed response except for the fact that these posts are everything I would've said.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:01 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Yes. Actually, I'd like that third line to be Avery, EC and MZA. And that line should get more ice time than the Boyle line. The legend of Brian Boyle has gotten out of control largely because of praise from the coach. And he's a good 4th line center but he's not shutting anyone down and his puck skills are garbage and I'm not exaggerating. He needs to win faceless and use his big frame, work ethic and long reach to get pucks out of our zone. Any other contribution is gravy.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Vitto79

so everyopne does realize the team is winning with these lines right?

Anisimov, Stepan, Gaborik.......Dubinsky, Richards, Callahan....they are scoring

Fedotenko, Boyle , Prust ...it's a defensively reliable checking line so why break that up?

the 4th line is mish mash but whatever they don't play alot. Avery can bring some energy in short spurts, EC has recently chipped in with some pts especially on the PP.........with Wolski and Rupp hurt that last spot is the interesting one.

Devaux provides a big dude that can fight but I'm not sure if he will last in that spot. I don't mind him at all as the 13th spare as he has some NHL experience.

I would like to see Hagelin eventually get a shot

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
And I asked him about Brian Boyle’s line with Ruslan Fedotenko and Prust, which has not been able to produce as much offensively as it did last season but is still checking effectively.

“They’ve done a really good job,” Tortorella said. “I started games playing (Brad Richards) against their top lines. As I’ve gone through the game, Boyle’s line has taken a role against some top lines. They’ve done a really good job checking. Feds has a couple of chances the last game. I don’t think they’re far away. Prust is a little banged up right now so we’re trying to get him healthy here and I think that will help his game. Though it isn’t on the scoreboard, they’ve done some really good things for our team.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r..._but_progress/

This won't end this crazy debate about Boyle because fans only look at the score sheet instead of watching the games..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
hes played what, like 8 mins combined in 2 games? something like that?

hes thrown the body around, and tried to make plays when he could. no ice time=tough to play.
Im pretty sick of this excuse, because thats all it is really - an excuse.

Sean Avery just got sent down to the minors by the only team thats even remotely interested in him in the the entire league and hes in a contract year - possibly the last of his pro career....he should be playing like theres a rocket up his ass every single second hes out there.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post

This won't end this crazy debate about Boyle because fans only look at the score sheet instead of watching the games..
Good find - With Anisimov on the wing for now and Richards/Stepan not exactly defensive dynamos, it'll probably fall on Boyle's line more and more to match up against top lines.

Old
11-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post

You should probably re-read the entire thread and understand what people are saying. The whole production thing is not the main topic by most as most realize he won't sniff 20 goals in his career again.

Old
11-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
You should probably re-read the entire thread and understand what people are saying. The whole production thing is not the main topic by most as most realize he won't sniff 20 goals in his career again.
You should probably read Steinbrenner's quote more carefully, because it quite thoroughly explains why he is getting the ice time you are railing against.

And oh yea, the team is winning lately. So maybe its not about Boyle's lack of production, but its certainly about the lack of production he is helping cause when it comes to the opposition.

Old
11-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You should probably read Steinbrenner's quote more carefully, because it quite thoroughly explains why he is getting the ice time you are railing against.

And oh yea, the team is winning lately. So maybe its not about Boyle's lack of production, but its certainly about the lack of production he is helping cause when it comes to the opposition.
Yes, yes it does....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote