HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some comments by Lombardi

Old
11-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
Funny that you would wash out or belittle DL's picks, but then complain when DL "buries them in the minors". Because, yes, his picks are that good.
That is his MO. That is why he criticized Richards when the trade went down but just weeks prior he was touting Richards as a player that wins you Cups. Then when he is on the Kings he is "overrated" and whatever snide comment he can muster up.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:04 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I think a musical dance number would brighten everyone's day.
I like the final number from Wicked. If someone can do that and post it on You Tube I would appreciate it.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:09 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
^ This

I know that this board is pretty damn critical of every little detail. I swear that people would still complain if we went 82-0. Hell, i remember last season, when half the board was whining about Kopitars play. In pro sports, every team hits rough patches during the long seasons. Sometimes the bounces just dont go your way.

I hope people realize that we made some drastic changes over the summer and it will take time to learn each others tendencies (particulary the 2nd and 3rd lines). Richards has shown his all around play, but anyone playing with Brown needs a pass. Brown is a little unpredictable on his positioning, and until Richards learns where he will be, it might be hard to generate 1st line quality offense (especially matched against the other teams top lines.)

What i have seen in the past few games is pretty good. Even though most of you have been complaining about Drew, he played a quiet all around game (basically taking TMs advice on not doing too much). His uncanny ability to spring the forwards with his outlet passes opens up so much for the rush. JJ has improved so much on the D side, but still needs to work on his D positioning at times. I dont even need to go over Kopitars play, but he is someone i think is a franchise player.

I have always said that TMs system is a little too safe as the F3 is always hanging out at the blue line. Lokti was a perfect example of why i somewhat disagree with TMs too safe system. He started to drift down a little into the scoring areas and created some opportunities, only to get benched. He wasnt that far out of position to fail on a d assignment (from what i saw...i might be wrong). Sometimes it always looks like the kings are playing 2 vs 3 downlow, and like most people say, they just jam up the middle so the points cant take shots or generate anything from the back end.

I also have noticed that TM gave Kopitar the green light on the forecheck, as I believe he has Gagne playing the F3 position alot (a majority of the time from what i have observed), so it frees Kopi up to steal pucks on the forecheck (which he is doing).

The biggest beef i have is will Stoll- the guy simply isnt a good center in the NHL today. He has zero playmaking ability and doesnt see the ice at all. I said it last year that Stoll's D awareness is not close to what Zues was for a 3rd line shutdown center. I still think he would make a good wing, as he is fast on the forecheck and has a good shot. Lokti at center with him at the wing would be worth a shot (like some people have mentioned already). If he learned to play a wing and get to the sweet spots with his shot, with a playmaking center feeding him...it could be a good thing for both the players and the team. People might give me crap for this, but the current 3rd line is not a shutdown line, so if we were to add some skill there, we could potentially run 2 1st lines and a 2nd line (Lokti,Stoll, and someone like Comeau-until clifford is ready to step it up).

Just my 2 cents, but ill give it until december before i go in WTF mode.
I want more of this... it is educational for me and I don't see these things as you "veterans" do. And all this crap on Kings staff and this and that blah blah I could be without.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:12 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

The sky simply *isn't* falling.

Not just yet and not with the amount of talent that we have on the team and throughout our system.
DL knows what is what and so do several other people in our mgmt structure.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:19 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
How many teams have 6 30-goal scorers in their top 6? Lombardi has brought in the pieces, it's up to the coaching staff to get the most out of the roster.

Until Murray is replaced, we have no idea what this team is capable of. The players have changed dramatically in the 3+ years of Murray, yet the offense hasn't improved and has gotten worse since teams have scouted the Kings and they are easy to defend. How many more players can we blame for the issues before Murray is let go?

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Lewis
Moreau-Richardson-Parse/Hunter/Westgarth

Mitchell-Doughty
Scuderi-Johnson
Martinez-Greene

After 14 games, that lineup should not be only scoring 2.14 goals per game.
The team wouldn't be averaging only 2.14 goals if Penner had a couple, and Doughty had a couple, and Stoll had a couple more points, and Richardson did a little something, and Lewis did a little something, etc.

Penner has just looked like he either couldn't or didn't want to play for most, if not all, of this season. Doughty started behind everyone else, plus he got hurt, and he's trying to fix whatever was wrong with himself last season. The other guys, they're role players, but every team needs to get 0.5 to 1 full goal a game collectively from their role players every night to win consistently.

I'll always give more credit or more fault to players over coaches though. Head coach, assistant coach, PP, even strength, whatever. That's just my outlook on the sport. There are only so many ways to play hockey. It's pretty simple stuff. There's no system a coach can implement that is so complicated that it's impossible to stop, and no system so horrible that it can't succeed. It all comes down to execution on the ice. You have to connect on simple passes. You have to be where you're supposed to be. You have to skate, and skate with a purpose. If Penner is dragging down a line so much with his lack of anything that a 3 man line is now down to a 2 man line every shift they take, what system changes that? If Doughty doesn't sign until the end of camp, tries to do too much to compensate, and gets hurt, what system changes that?

KingsFan7824 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:24 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Some more comments by Lombardi:

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/11/08...y-season-skid/

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:49 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I said it last year that Stoll's D awareness is not close to what Zues was for a 3rd line shutdown center. I still think he would make a good wing, as he is fast on the forecheck and has a good shot. Lokti at center with him at the wing would be worth a shot (like some people have mentioned already). If he learned to play a wing and get to the sweet spots with his shot, with a playmaking center feeding him...it could be a good thing for both the players and the team. People might give me crap for this, but the current 3rd line is not a shutdown line, so if we were to add some skill there, we could potentially run 2 1st lines and a 2nd line (Lokti,Stoll, and someone like Comeau-until clifford is ready to step it up).

I agree with this about Stoll, something I've advocated for in the apst as well. Stoll on the wing with Loki at centre. It give Loki someone decent to play with (not Westgarth) who has a decent shot and can come in on faceoffs, which aren't Loki's strong suit. I've also advocated for a guy like Comeau, so good post

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:52 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Those who only blame the coach (most of you) are missing the bigger issue (IMO). Scotty Bowman couldn't get much more out of Penner or the bottom six than TM is getting. Is that his fault or the GM? I say the GM.
So Tom Renney >>>> Scotty Bowman? Becasue Renney sure did get a lot more than 1 assist in 12 games from Penner.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:18 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

good to see DL taking a harder line, but what exactly is he going to do with that line? What if they keep sucking, is he going to do a trade or fire the coach? I just don't see him doing anything drastic. He isn't Burke, he's a very calculated thinker.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Cruel11
ClasslessKingspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
good to see DL taking a harder line, but what exactly is he going to do with that line? What if they keep sucking, is he going to do a trade or fire the coach? I just don't see him doing anything drastic. He isn't Burke, he's a very calculated thinker.
Yeah, I don't see him making any big changes. Probably just call up Lokti.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Johnny Utah

The Penner is in "average shape" is all over the net now, PuckDaddy did a story on it. This might cause a ripple.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I think a musical dance number would brighten everyone's day.
I'm looking forward to more "internet sighing"..... but, that's just a personal favorite.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
The Penner is in "average shape" is all over the net now, PuckDaddy did a story on it. This might cause a ripple.
Lombardi has been saying Kopitar is in "average shape" for years.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Duc620

Lombardi's "average shape" and the internet's "average shape" are really, really different.

Old
11-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Where on Penner's belly?

Thank you, thank you!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:52 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
I've only been following the Kings this season and hadn't seen him play before so I didn't want to rip him until I saw him play. I don't like him. I don't think he is motivated and I don't think his hockey IQ is very high. When I saw the comment about him being in average shape, not elite shape, that really annoyed me. I also can't believe that a guy in the last year of his contract isn't working his ass off so that he can get a good contract after the season is up.

Hopefully Lombardi's comment embarrasses him and lights a fire under his butt.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:53 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Where on Penner's belly?

Thank you, thank you!
Will you be here all week?

Old
11-08-2011, 04:58 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I've only been following the Kings this season and hadn't seen him play before so I didn't want to rip him until I saw him play. I don't like him. I don't think he is motivated and I don't think his hockey IQ is very high. When I saw the comment about him being in average shape, not elite shape, that really annoyed me. I also can't believe that a guy in the last year of his contract isn't working his ass off so that he can get a good contract after the season is up.

Hopefully Lombardi's comment embarrasses him and lights a fire under his butt.
DL has said much worse, while it did get Penner in better shape it hasnt effected his play.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:01 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
DL has said much worse, while it did get Penner in better shape it hasnt effected his play.
I disagree somewhat. Penner is skating much better this season, but it hasn't showed up in his numbers yet.

Old
11-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Johnny Utah

I love how people keep saying "I hope this lights a fire under his butt," or "I hope this motivates him."

In 31 games as a King, he has 2 goals.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Where on Penner's belly?

Thank you, thank you!

How's the veal?

Old
11-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Nex06

Quote:
The biggest beef i have is will Stoll- the guy simply isnt a good center in the NHL today. He has zero playmaking ability and doesnt see the ice at all. I said it last year that Stoll's D awareness is not close to what Zues was for a 3rd line shutdown center. I still think he would make a good wing, as he is fast on the forecheck and has a good shot. Lokti at center with him at the wing would be worth a shot (like some people have mentioned already).
Agreed. Usually when people talk about Loktionov or Richards moving to wing on Kopitar's line the response is, that he can do much more as center. But Stoll really can't. He has no particular center attributes, he looks like a winger to me and he could be a decent one as well. I agree also with the idea to bring up Loktionov and finally give him the position that he would get next season anyway.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:

I know that this board is pretty damn critical of every little detail. I swear that people would still complain if we went 82-0.
Let me officially go on record as saying: I would NOT.

Quote:
um, early December or late December....?

They'll win tonight and then again on thursday and we'll all wonder what the big fuss was about.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:30 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Where on Penner's belly?

Thank you, thank you!

Where do we tip the waitress???

How I can mistake her for a cow might take some explaining...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:30 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Let me officially go on record as saying: I would NOT.

um, early December or late December....?

They'll win tonight and then again on thursday and we'll all wonder what the big fuss was about.
I say late december

Yea i love reading these boards when there is some good debate going on...with the insights from some of the posters here. (especially TG)

But the whining is really starting to amaze me. The team DL built is good...now its just a matter of time before it all comes together and the players start to execute. (whether or not TM is coaching )

scramble91 is online now   Reply With Quote