HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Terry Murray on the chopping block and thoughts on bringing him back to Philly?

Old
11-08-2011, 03:02 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Terry Murray on the chopping block and thoughts on bringing him back to Philly?

Just throwing this out there b/c of the intrigue that could be created if Murray is let go...pretty ironic if he is. Kings have been peasants of late...

I wouldn't be against bringing him back to this organization in some capacity as insurance if Lavy poops the bed here....of course it assumes he leaves the Kings organization altogether as well.

Edit: or any other people you would like who may be on the block or out there...

Quote:
Terry Murray, Los Angeles Kings

Murray's always been a tough one to figure. He obviously has found success with this team in the last two seasons, getting the Kings to the playoffs twice. After their loss to the Sharks on Monday night, the Kings are 6-5-3 on the year, with 15 points and the No. 8 seed in the West. They're an average team … built to be an elite team in the offseason.

Via Helene Elliott of the LA Times:

"To those calling for Terry Murray's firing: Lombardi has been very loyal to him, didn't waver thru 2-10 slump last season, but this is supposed to be a better team. They're spending near cap for first time. I have to think a jolt of some kind is coming."

There have been calls to fire Terry Murray here and there for the last year, but it's been hard to establish why it should happen. Most of the criticism is theoretical: This team is better on paper than it is on the ice, so therefore it's the coach's fault.

Come to think of it, that's why Ken Hitchcock is now in St. Louis …

Kings blogger Bobby Scribe tried to quantify one of Murray's greatest shortcomings, which is his offensive philosophy on shooting the puck. Check out this diagnosis on what ails the Kings.

Quisp from Jewels From The Crown writes this:

When Murray is "happy" with the Kings' game (as he was with the Pens loss) and when he writes off a loss to "not getting the bounces," I'm starting to think that these things aren't empty platitudes. Because his whole methodology/strategy/whatever appears to be based on playing percentages, the law of averages...bounces. Sometimes the bounces go your way (you win) and sometimes they go the other way (you lose).

Quisp also writes that Marc Crawford and Andy Murray would be better coaches for this team.

Yeah, it's gotten that bad for some Kings fans.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp16947

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

In what capacity would you have him fill? I would not want him back unless it had something to do with scouting and only if he came knocking on the Flyer's door asking for a job. Plus (even if they are not required to do so) I would discuss his hiring with Lavi first.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:22 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I'd like him to be an assistant but that is about it. Lavi isn't going anywhere.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:34 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
In what capacity would you have him fill? I would not want him back unless it had something to do with scouting and only if he came knocking on the Flyer's door asking for a job. Plus (even if they are not required to do so) I would discuss his hiring with Lavi first.
Yeah a scout maybe or some other carved out role in the organization..not like we haven't done that before. I wouldn't worry too much about massaging Lavi's ego although I agree it would be kind of a shot across the bow but Snider apparently is in a no dung mood and I don't think he cares if he lines up a possible successor and I don't think he should care. Lavi can dish it out and he has to be willing to receive it back although you don't want to undermine him among his subordinates either...so yeah it would be a dicey move but I think Murray would be much better suited for this team right now..then you can bring a Lavi type back in a few years....

I just don't ever want to see a Stevens type again! Murray is more in the middle and he's great with young players especially D men and international types. Thought he got a raw deal when he was called out for saying the team choked....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Gert B Frobe

I just hate his tough guy look he has when shenanigans are taking place on the ice. He gets this "why I oughtta..." look kind of like a sedated Tortorella. Can't stand either of them.

Not interested in Murray. I want the Flyers next coach (when Laviolette retires afte winning 2-3 cups in Philly) to be Paul Maurice.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
If he gets fired wouldn't Columbus immediately offer him a HC position?

11-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If he gets fired wouldn't Columbus immediately offer him a HC position?
You would think.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
You would think.
Marc crawford should already be behind the bench for them.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:51 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
why? we already have our coaching staff. no one deserves to be fired.

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 08:38 PM
lancer247

if anything you would bring him back as an asst coach to work with the d. That's his area of strength, however, Lavy is loyal to McCarthy as that was his only condition wwhen he took the job. He agreed to keep Berube on but wanted McCarthy.

Homer just ovrhauled the team to fit Lavys style I doubt they are considering anything but a long relationship with him here.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:32 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
let him stay in LA and keep his "choking thing" attitude there.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote